PDA

View Full Version : Phone Scam Warning from "Windows Support"

peteyt
12-05-2011, 07:53 PM
This is quite old news really, its been going around in many forms for ages. But last year my Grandad got a call from some security computer, "Comantra" or something, telling him he had errors. He was new to computers, and had just bought a netbook and so without contacting the rest of us who are more trained decided to give his card. They took more than they claimed and it took him months to get it sorted.

Today I received a similar call, someone claiming to be from "Windows Support" telling me about errors on my computer. I asked which computer, and they said something like the one with Windows. I told them I only had Mac, a blatant lie, and they hung up.

What would have happened if I'd stayed on the phone, is they would have probably got me to pull up the event viewer, the thing on Windows which logs just about everything. Thousands of things actually, but its normal. Sometimes small errors that are no harm and possibly just one off's go there. What the person on the other end would have done is claimed all the logs where errors and if I wasn't computer literate I'd have got my card out.

The important thing is even if your computer has errors or is ill, they shouldn't and won't know. My computer could have been dying but they wouldn't have a clue. They just ring number after number in the hope that they get through to a few people who aren't really that sure of what they are doing.

If you ever receive these calls don't play their game.

Recursion
13-05-2011, 07:16 AM
Haha, this one's been going round for years, I've yet to encounter it though, I'd love to play the "lets see how long we can keep a pissed off telemarketer on the phone for!" game with these guys.

Aidenn
13-05-2011, 07:18 AM
I've had one of these, my mother was relatively stupid in listening to the person and paying them, her own fault that she wasnt listening to me when i said it was a scam.
They've contacted me aswell their 'lack of basic knowledge' generally did show.

Generally hope no-one else falls for it

Catzsy
13-05-2011, 08:47 AM
We have had this one - it is so pathetic these days how many scammers there are around.

Aidonia
13-05-2011, 08:59 AM
Try save their number and report it to the appropriate authorities, if you can - these people aren't clever at all, they're just fools.

redtom
13-05-2011, 09:34 AM
I'd love to play the "lets see how long we can keep a pissed off telemarketer on the phone for!" game with these guys.

I want them to ring me now just for this

peteyt
13-05-2011, 10:59 AM
Some of them try and get around the law. I think the one my grandad was suckered into then claimed they weren't saying anything was wrong but they where offering a service to make sure nothing wrong ever happened, but the truth is they pray on those without much knowledge

[Chris]
14-05-2011, 11:46 PM
Aye, ive had a few off 'Microsoft'.

"Hello, your computer is sending a lot of errors to us"
- O'rly? what are the details of the computer in question? (So i could determine if there were actully errors)
"I cant tell you any of that, But we offer a repair service for £60"
- Well how do you know its this computer thats the problem?
*They put the phone down*

And then there were like five of the same phone calls over the next couple of months or so. Quite funny really. Its just somebody to play around with.

But yeah, it is quite dangerous for older people, or people not as technology-savvy as us younger lot.

Edit : I also told them i have a Mac (Which i do) to which they replied with "We're getting a LOT of errors though". Right, Microsoft is getting OSx errors, somethings going on here. To which they put the phone down. Lol.

Markeh
16-05-2011, 03:56 PM
I'm hoping these guys ring. It would be fun to confuse them.

Telemarketers don't even get their facts right. We had one ring my uncle about a conservatory. He lives in a third floor flat.

---------- Post added 16-05-2011 at 04:56 PM ----------

I'm hoping these guys ring. It would be fun to confuse them.

Telemarketers don't even get their facts right. We had one ring my uncle about a conservatory. He lives in a third floor flat.

danzooo
16-05-2011, 07:57 PM
Our number is ex-directory so we don't receive calls like this. Occasionally we've had people claiming to be from Sky or the bank but that's about it.

Firehorse
17-05-2011, 05:56 PM
Yeh they've called our house number at least three times over the past few years. It's instantly suspisious seeing as Microsoft wouldn't have your phone number anyway in most cases. (Certainly wouldn't of had ours). Glad my parents had common sense enough to know something was up.

Richie
17-05-2011, 06:11 PM
This is weird, it happened to me years ago and I posted here asking did anyone else receive a call. They rang today and I picked up the phone he said he was from "pccare.com" or something so I just told him to **** off and if he keeps ringing ill pass their number onto the police. Perhaps they're a company but that doesn't mean they can harass people, I don't even know how they got my name or number. This is at least the 20th call we've received in the last 2 years, which is crazy.

---------- Post added 17-05-2011 at 07:14 PM ----------

http://www.onlinepccare.com/ don't trust them.

Swinkid
17-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Heh i like playing around with these guys since i know what im on about :3

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!