PDA

View Full Version : [Film] Pirates of the Caribbean 4

HotelUser
14-05-2011, 02:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0_hqFW5hcg

I love Pirates of the Caribbean but I don't know if I'll be able to see it on the 20th when it comes out here. Who else is seeing it on opening day if they can?

Chris
14-05-2011, 02:40 PM
I will be seeing it, but not on the release date. :P

Nicola
14-05-2011, 02:42 PM
I don't think I want to watch it without Orlando Bloom and Keria Knightley, but apparently it's supposed to be the best out of the 4.... I will see it but I don't think I'll be seeing it straight away.

Misawa
14-05-2011, 02:53 PM
It's under UK embargo at the moment so I disclose any details, but some of our team have seen it. As for the international reviews and the one or two that have broken the embargo, it's been panned.

dbgtz
14-05-2011, 03:03 PM
Probably won't go to cinema and watch it, but it looks alright. I wonder if the new people will be good. I have a gut instinct that this is just happening to be mega milked.

Misawa
14-05-2011, 03:12 PM
I can't disclose details is what I meant.

GirlNextDoor15
14-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Haven't really get to watch the trailer at cinemas but I'm gonna watch the movie, I think. :) I'm excited for it. :)

Stephen!
14-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Going on Wednesday morning, first showing :) Huge fan.

Mathew
14-05-2011, 03:25 PM
That music will never get old. One of the best pieces ever, seriously. :P

Nice to see Penelope Cruz though... damnnnnnn! ;)

It's under UK embargo at the moment so I disclose any details, but some of our team have seen it. As for the international reviews and the one or two that have broken the embargo, it's been panned.
As you say, I've just heard the critics have panned the film but the fans seem to think it's fantastic; I'm actually a big Pirates fan! Johnny Depp will apparently "keep playing Jack Sparrow as long as the fans enjoy it." He says that he's "prepared for it to continue like James Bond" and he "doesn't really mind what the critics think." Good on him, he obviously enjoys playing the role!

I can't work out whether they're beginning to milk it or not. They've all been pretty good so far so obviously if the fans enjoy it then they should keep going as long as possible - they're obviously well aware they've hit gold with this film.
Although, I find it justified to add one of Walt Disney's quotes, when he realised a sequel to his short animation, "Three Little Pigs," didn't work out.... "You can't top pigs with pigs."

We'll see, but I hope to goodness it's a success. Eagerly anticipating some profit figures! :)

Misawa
14-05-2011, 03:36 PM
It's a franchise. As long as it's making money, it'll continue and that's the only reason why Disney is making them. If Pirates 4 bombs (which it won't), you could kiss those movies goodbye.

You seem to be confused about critics and fans, describing them as wholly separate entities. Critics attending screenings of Pirates 4 are almost all fans of the series or at least the first two. Whether you like it or not, the third film recieved a mixed response from just about everybody in comparison to the acclaimed first two. As for this new chapter, it's too early to say what the general consensus of opinion will be, but the first reviews are hailing it as the point where the franchise truly jumps the shark. I will link our review here when we're allowed to post it. As for me, I don't care for the series so I've no opinion.

And hey, I'd continue playing Jack Sparrow until the end of time too if I was earning $60 million per film.

Cosmic
14-05-2011, 03:40 PM
I can't wait to see it. I loved the original three films and so I hope the fourth can live up to those!

Misawa
15-05-2011, 11:01 PM
The eagle/our review has landed.
http://www.screenjabber.com/pirates-of-the-caribbean-4-on-stranger-tides

Zeptis
16-05-2011, 07:33 AM
I'm not gonna see it opening day, but im eventually gonna see it, BTW 100th post, woohoo

Jessie
16-05-2011, 07:41 AM
I'm going to see it this week/ next week. I can't wait because I love the POTC series and although the 3rd one was a little disappointing, I'm really hoping this one will be better :)

Mathew
16-05-2011, 08:31 AM
The eagle/our review has landed.
http://www.screenjabber.com/pirates-of-the-caribbean-4-on-stranger-tides
You made it sound terrible, but it actually got a decent review. :P Probably quite deserved too.

None of the cameos are particularly required for the storyline, but it's like a walk through a period version of Madame Tussauds.
Hahahahaha.

Red
16-05-2011, 09:09 AM
1sigh. considering i have an exam on the 20th and 24th. ill be recovering and back into revision :'( probs won't get to until like the 26th!

Inseriousity.
18-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Wasn't planning on seeing it on opening day but I did, i enjoyed it. If you're looking for an Inception-style plot, don't bother. If you're looking for brainless entertainment then you'll like this :D

Stephen!
18-05-2011, 05:12 PM
It had some great moments, but overall, i felt disappointing as I left the theater.

For those who are going, stay until after the credits, there is an extra scene like the other movies.

Shar
18-05-2011, 06:19 PM
I really want to watch it but I can't because of exams :'(
Johnny Depp and Penelope Cruz mm

Alexx..
19-05-2011, 09:36 AM
I'm tempted to go see it in a little bit, but i'm not sure now.

Nuxty
19-05-2011, 09:58 PM
It does look really good, so hopefully I will go soon, working Saturdays is so annoying at times, cos that is when all my mates are going!

HotelUser
21-05-2011, 02:36 AM
I've seen it now!

Who else has seen it? I can't wait for number 5 woo!

Chippiewill
21-05-2011, 11:57 PM
I thought it was pretty good, much better than the 2/3 story arc at least.

Narnat,
22-05-2011, 08:35 PM
I can't see myself seeing it straight away but I will watch it. I have to agree with Nicola it's not right without Mr Bloom!

Eric
23-05-2011, 09:13 AM
Watched it in 3D , and it's amazing.

-Charityy
25-05-2011, 06:25 PM
Watched it in 3D , and it's amazing.

I watched it in 3D too, and I agree. Amazing. I love Johnny Depp. <3

DPS
01-06-2011, 05:32 PM
imo the film only needs Johnny Depp he is a fantastic actor and yeah well end of :)

Chris
01-06-2011, 05:34 PM
Saw it on Monday, it was probably the best out of them all, imo. :D

Conservative,
01-06-2011, 05:39 PM
Saw it in 3D...

Here's my verdict:

Storyline:
Bit of a mishmash, it was okay but I don't really see it's continuity from the last one nor a clear way forward for the next one. It was pretty basic, easy to follow most of them time but I think it needed more depth.

Casting:
I was sceptical of Penelope Cruz but tbh she proved me wrong. Although I missed Keira Knightley, Cruz was very good. I also liked the Mermaid (She was fit ;)) and Blackbeard was good. Depp was good as ever as well.

Overall:

It was decent but I don't see a clear path to the next film, if there is one. I liked the casting but it didn't feel complete without Keira & Orlando & the Comodore (did anyone else notice he wasn't in it?). The storyline was fairly good and I'd reccommend it but I think the first one was the best and it will be very hard to beat it now.

Red
01-06-2011, 05:43 PM
meh I thought it dragged loads and wasn't the same without keira and orlando
sam clafflin though. what a beaut.
he made the film lmao (L)_(L)

Mathew
01-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Just been to see it. Penelope Cruz.... looking as amazing as ever. Johnny Depp... superb acting as ever. Yeah, stay till the end of the credits for an extra cliff-hanger!! :O

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!