PDA

View Full Version : Good radio broadcasting soundcard

peteyt
17-05-2011, 01:05 PM
Well I'm getting a small office space for broadcasting and going to be getting a new PC for the office, which will become a studio.

My friend said that he can make me a computer if I give him the specs. What sound card would you recommend to get the most - I'll be using a Behringer Xenyx 1002b along with a Rode NT1-A microphone and just want a decent sound card to go with it.

I've heard Sound Blaster's are okay, but not sure if they are more home entertainment quality rather than audio production/broadcast quality.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Recursion
17-05-2011, 01:26 PM
You need to do as much of the audio processing outside the computer as possible using studio amps/mixers/preamps etc, of course if you're pumping this down a standard 128kb/s server online, there's really no point in spending £££ on this.

What's your budget for the soundcard itself and are you planning on going DAB/FM?

peteyt
17-05-2011, 01:37 PM
I'm getting 300 from o2 and can put some more in - that's going to a new computer. I can get a less expensive sound card if need be and then upgrade but I'm not sure what's considered pro

Recursion
17-05-2011, 02:40 PM
Pro soundcards can be between £300 - £1500, really depends on your budget. You definitely wouldn't go for something like Creative, you'd look at M-Audio, EMU or RME.

peteyt
17-05-2011, 03:11 PM
Is this decent

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Audiophile2496.html

comes to £81.00

N!ck
17-05-2011, 06:58 PM
I'd always recommend Asus cards. Anything more serious and you're going to want proper gear outside of the PC.

Jahova
18-05-2011, 11:34 AM
For online broadcasting any old internal soundcard is fine as long as your internet connection and the PC can handle the broadcasting software. Don't waste your money on un-needed things!

Recursion
18-05-2011, 12:35 PM
For online broadcasting any old internal soundcard is fine as long as your internet connection and the PC can handle the broadcasting software. Don't waste your money on un-needed things!

I think I read a thread of his a few days back saying he's planning to go to FM, not sure though.

peteyt
18-05-2011, 10:25 PM
We'd like to eventually go FM but it wont be for a few years. But do want to get a decent sound still.

roastchips
23-05-2011, 10:16 PM
We'd like to eventually go FM but it wont be for a few years. But do want to get a decent sound still.

As said for radio internal sound cards are not the best, while you may have a small operation currently if you were to run a system such as ENCO DAD, Myriad or even Master Control you would need a proper broadcast card like a M-Audio.

http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardware/m-audio-delta-66-24-96-pci-digital-recording-interface--4605

That will do you great and will allow you to expand a bit if you decide to go for a big playout system. Can i suggest for the time being you look at Mairlist, its a great playout system that can be modified to hell to get some good stuff.

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/795-m-audio-delta-1010-10x10-pci-based-digital-audio-system-.html
This one will be the one if you can afford it, this will easily alow you to expand onto a full playout automation system.

As well as this on FM you would defiantly need processing, Compression, Gating, EQ, Expander and a AGC at a minimum for the whole setup. If the studio is going to be running all day as well Behringer mixer is a no no while there pro mics can take a good beating there boards are pretty awful for radio with the exception of the DX1000 and DX2000 but there not brilliant. For radio you need a console that will auto mute monitors when mics are raised and also possibly a on air light.

My advice would be to save a bit and look for something like a Airmate or a Sonifex desk.

Mic wise its all good, if you want guests i can recommend the Behringer B1, cheap but very nice sounding.

peteyt
23-05-2011, 10:59 PM
Cheers for your advice. We are thinking of getting the computer and simply upgrading eventually as the equipment we have should be okay for now until we can afford to upgrade.

roastchips
25-05-2011, 09:32 PM
Cheers for your advice. We are thinking of getting the computer and simply upgrading eventually as the equipment we have should be okay for now until we can afford to upgrade.

Ok but what ever you do get a rock solid professional play out system, DO NOT USE SAM it will sound awful as Sam is meant for home streamers not good quality broadcasters. Something like mairlist will keep you going rock solid or if your paying ENCO DAD ect will keep you sounding very slick.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!