PDA

View Full Version : Google Wallet

HotelUser
27-05-2011, 12:56 AM
http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/26/google-wallet-vending-on-nexus-s-hands-on/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s9wYEkRAgs&feature=player_embedded

I think a lot of us saw this coming years ago. I think it's really cool and hope it isn't another Google Voice American exclusive thing and spreads to other parts of the world quicker.

Triz
27-05-2011, 01:02 AM
I want one... Now.

Jordy
27-05-2011, 02:03 AM
That's silly, I can't see that catching on. The only market for this is vending machines and they'd be various complications as they all stock different things for one thing. Theres also not much money to be made out of vending machines clearly and I can't see how it'd work outside of vending machines. It's pointless, instead of simply getting a coin out your pocket and pressing a button for the drink you want you'll have to get out your phone, open an app, locate the vending machine your at, select a drink, scan your phone and confirm payment. See what I'm getting at?

How would it work in the retail environment? Walk into Gap and scan for a pair of jeans and then an assistant comes over bringing them? First of all if they don't want to do the shopping in person, they'd do it online and they could even more easily ask the assistant with words!

A far better system is the Barclays/Orange mobile payment system released last Friday which allows you to scan your phone and use it as a credit card for small transactions but once again Google are way behind on this. They really can't seem to do much right since the failures of Buzz, Wave, and soon enough Chrome OS and Google Circles.

JerseySafety
27-05-2011, 02:43 AM
Omg, buy me one please david.

that looks very nice indeed! :)

Recursion
27-05-2011, 07:27 AM
It's using NFC, which is exactly what T-Mobile/Orange/Barclaycard are launching over here in the UK for the Olympics. Was talking to dad about it last night, concluded it would fail without a company like Google backing it and getting it on phones that aren't as crap as the Tocco Lite or whatever the one over here is.

This method in the video also seems very so :S

Recursion
27-05-2011, 07:58 AM
so = slow above, can't edit, my bad :P

AgnesIO
27-05-2011, 09:37 AM
PayPal are already trying to sue Google over this, they claim Google stole the technology off them - after Google hired one of PayPal's CEs - and then made him their mobile payment manager person lol

Could you pay with this at a shop till? Like they ask for your card, and you just get your app out?

Would stop theft with credit cards.. assuming the app was password protected of course.

GommeInc
27-05-2011, 11:02 AM
PayPal are already trying to sue Google over this, they claim Google stole the technology off them - after Google hired one of PayPal's CEs - and then made him their mobile payment manager person lol

Could you pay with this at a shop till? Like they ask for your card, and you just get your app out?

Would stop theft with credit cards.. assuming the app was password protected of course.
I read that too, it was bound to happen - Something is revealed that is competition to another organisation so they chuck a lawsuit at the problem and hope it goes away. Truely pathetic, but I don't particularly like PayPal anyway.

The bit in bold made me giggle too ;P

redtom
27-05-2011, 11:08 AM
It seems pointless as there's already contactless cards which do the job better. Plus if you lose your phone you know also lose all your money "/

As for password protecting it how annoying would it be to have to type in a password to a phone every time you want to use a card. They should just make tiny chips which you implant into your hand, scan it over like contractless cards, makes it so much easier and removes cc thief. It's not like this can't be done either with a little bit of work.

AgnesIO
27-05-2011, 11:09 AM
I read that too, it was bound to happen - Something is revealed that is competition to another organisation so they chuck a lawsuit at the problem and hope it goes away. Truely pathetic, but I don't particularly like PayPal anyway.

The bit in bold made me giggle too ;P

"GIVE US YOUR CARD OR I WILL SHANK YOU"
"NA NOT GOT A CARD WITH ME. HAVE MY FOUR HUNDRED POUND PHONE INSTEAD, WITH MY APP-CARD TOO"

I can see some security issues here. :P

HotelUser
27-05-2011, 12:06 PM
I hope it does catch on for the one reason that I don't like carrying around a wallet. Although the point raised about security and people stealing money with stealing phones is a good one. I wonder if there's a security pin option.

Recursion
27-05-2011, 12:21 PM
The way I see it is, if you aren't smart enough to put a passcode on your phone (and report it as stolen if it is), you're not smart enough to be using NFC payments.

AgnesIO
27-05-2011, 12:22 PM
The way I see it is, if you aren't smart enough to put a passcode on your phone (and report it as stolen if it is), you're not smart enough to be using NFC payments.

I would want this app password protected as extra defense if I am honest.

Although, you would still need a pin to use the card, I guess?

Triz
27-05-2011, 01:21 PM
Is what I notice with smart phones... Especially HTC's - I can 9/10 times get into anyones HTC because you just hold it up to the light and you can see where their fingers have been, thus getting their coded pattern to get into their phone..

Would suck if you type in your pin for this app payment method and it was the last thing you did on your touch screen... Wouldn't be too hard for someone to figure it out lol

AgnesIO
27-05-2011, 01:47 PM
Is what I notice with smart phones... Especially HTC's - I can 9/10 times get into anyones HTC because you just hold it up to the light and you can see where their fingers have been, thus getting their coded pattern to get into their phone..

Would suck if you type in your pin for this app payment method and it was the last thing you did on your touch screen... Wouldn't be too hard for someone to figure it out lol

I stopped using the code thing because of that - use a pin instead.

Jordy
27-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Or don't bother seeing as you can simply connect a phone with a pass-code to a computer and bypass it. They're great for stopping friends and family pissing about with your phone but they're no security measure.

AgnesIO
27-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Or don't bother seeing as you can simply connect a phone with a pass-code to a computer and bypass it. They're great for stopping friends and family pissing about with your phone but they're no security measure.

Main reason for having it lmao

'CAN I SEE YOUR PHONE!!'
'Sure.. *wait for them to give it back after getting confused*'

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!