PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 UI

HotelUser
02-06-2011, 12:06 AM
http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/01/microsoft-unveils-windows-8-tablet-prototypes/

http://allthingsd.com/files/2011/06/Windows-8-start-menu.png

Thoughts?

I think it looks decent and will be nice on tablets. I want a nice finger reaady UI for my Windows tablet when I buy one. I hope there will be a way to maximise the amount of icons on that screen though.

Kasabian
02-06-2011, 12:11 AM
finger ready - giggidy ;)

It'd be a grower on me, it's a sleek design but not too keen.

xxMATTGxx
02-06-2011, 12:12 AM
Beautiful.

I really do think Windows 8 is going to be an awesome operating system when it's released and this is just the start. I believe the image you have posted, that interface will also be on the Windows you would install on a normal computer with a keyboard and mouse, yes there is also the normal Windows UI with the task bar and so on. (Before anyone asks about that)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p92QfWOw88I

HotelUser
02-06-2011, 12:20 AM
Will this interface feel more like a separate application in itself or will it exist fluidly throughout the entire operating system?

This is going to be really cool on tablets, especially if Windows 8 is optimized for good standby time and power consumption is low.

Chippiewill
02-06-2011, 01:50 AM
Will this interface feel more like a separate application in itself or will it exist fluidly throughout the entire operating system?I reckon it'll replace the role of explorer.exe, it'll run throughout and feel like a core thing that's just there but not intrude into other applications.

This is going to be really cool on tablets, especially if Windows 8 is optimized for good standby time and power consumption is low. If the UI is geared towards tablets, they'd hopefully have the sense for power management.

And hopefully they'll have the sense to completely turn off the whole 'explorer.exe' side of the operating system on tablets (Safe mode though ;))and just allow for some low level integration with old applications (Not that many will work too great with the whole ARM rewrite anyway) and have the sense to leave 'explorer.exe' as primary for keyboard and mouse slaves (Perhaps the new UI can replace media centre though).

Stephen!
02-06-2011, 07:23 AM
Do not want! That UI should be limited to tablets only, and maybe touch screen desktops.

Recursion
02-06-2011, 07:50 AM
Do not want! That UI should be limited to tablets only, and maybe touch screen desktops.

I think that's what MS is doing, a seperate UI fro Tablets and a more 'traditional' Windows UI for desktops. It *really* wouldn't work with a mouse otherwise.

xxMATTGxx
02-06-2011, 08:13 AM

I think that's what MS is doing, a seperate UI fro Tablets and a more 'traditional' Windows UI for desktops. It *really* wouldn't work with a mouse otherwise.

Even though the UI will be ideal for tablets, I believe it will also be part of Windows you may install on a normal computer. That's what I gathered by what I read and watched in regards of it. BUT DON'T PANIC YET, the normal Windows UI such s the taskbar and menus and close buttons and start menu and whatever else you are used to is also still there.

GommeInc
02-06-2011, 10:17 AM
Even though the UI will be ideal for tablets, I believe it will also be part of Windows you may install on a normal computer. That's what I gathered by what I read and watched in regards of it. BUT DON'T PANIC YET, the normal Windows UI such s the taskbar and menus and close buttons and start menu and whatever else you are used to is also still there.
It reminds me of Windows Media Centre which acts like a seperate UI for PCs at the moment - you can view pictures, videos, music and even close the computer down from it. Obviously this is a step up from that as it runs more applications, including Office, Weather etc. :P

It does look great though, especially the multi-tasking which looks like it's built upon Windows 7 snap-to.

Agnostic Bear
02-06-2011, 12:33 PM
i want it now give it to me ;_;

Waaaak
02-06-2011, 12:37 PM
Havent heard of this until today actually. Interesting.

Mr-Trainor
02-06-2011, 01:49 PM
I saw this earlier and I think it looks quite nice :).

Firehorse
02-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Looks nice for touchscreen devices, but I really can't see that working with a conventional mouse.

Pazza
02-06-2011, 11:28 PM
mmmm yummy, i think ms are pulling it out of the bag recently, fallen in love with my windows phone, and now this :D

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!