PDA

View Full Version : Are iPads and iPhones necessary?

GirlNextDoor15
02-06-2011, 06:23 AM
Hi. In the era of globalisation, technology become more and more advanced. We can often see people with iPads and iPhones. In fact, even children have iPads and iPhones which is very common and it is sometimes, astonishingly unnecessary. However, there are also a lot of reasons too on why iPads and iPhones are necessary to humans. Therefore, in this debate, we will be debating about iPads and iPhones whether they are necessary or not necessary.

Mathew
02-06-2011, 07:15 AM
Originally, I didn't see the point in iPads at all. I thought they were just a mix of both a computer and a phone... and well.. in esscence they are, but I still find them extremely appealing. iPhones - they're just another type of phone that people seem to covet for some reason. Admittedly, they're a good device with good intentions, but I hate the complete idiots who say how amazing it is, left, right and centre. It's a phone!

Generally, yes they are necessary or else technology as a whole has no hope at all of progress. Tablet computers and touch-screen devices were practically unheard of some... 20 years ago? Apple have made them mainstream, and it's vital that their success continues for technology to progress at the rate it already has been.

Recursion
02-06-2011, 08:06 AM
I think your debate is void now, you honed in on two specific products, what you should have done was talk about them generally, because people will now be biased, as above:

Originally, I didn't see the point in iPads at all. [...] iPhones - they're just another type of phone that people seem..

GirlNextDoor15
02-06-2011, 09:02 AM
Originally, I didn't see the point in iPads at all. I thought they were just a mix of both a computer and a phone... and well.. in esscence they are, but I still find them extremely appealing. iPhones - they're just another type of phone that people seem to covet for some reason. Admittedly, they're a good device with good intentions, but I hate the complete idiots who say how amazing it is, left, right and centre. It's a phone!

Generally, yes they are necessary or else technology as a whole has no hope at all of progress. Tablet computers and touch-screen devices were practically unheard of some... 20 years ago? Apple have made them mainstream, and it's vital that their success continues for technology to progress at the rate it already has been.

No, I don't think it's necessary. It is not necessary because I see kids walking around with their iPad/iPhone. It just breaks my heart to see that. I don't think iPad and iPhone are necessary. They are just nonsensical rubbish that technology has created. I'm not sure about iPad but iPhone is not even a bit appealing to me. The primary functions of phones are supposed to be communicating with other people and receiving calls. With all those apps rubbish, it's unnecessary. Plus, the price for one iPhone is not cheap and it's basically, wasting our money. However, it is convenient for us but when we judge it using the advantages and the disadvantages, I think there are more disadvantages than advantages.

---------- Post added 02-06-2011 at 05:05 PM ----------

I think your debate is void now, you honed in on two specific products, what you should have done was talk about them generally, because people will now be biased, as above:

Oh, well. I wish I could talk about each product generally but I don't know much about it. So, I thought I'll just leave it for you all to debate with. But, I think you could consider both products as the products of such technology. Those products are mainly about entertainment and communication.

iBlueBox
02-06-2011, 10:28 AM
To answer your question.

It depends on the user of the product.

cocaine
02-06-2011, 10:30 AM
people have jobs. people earn income. people spend income on products they like. nothing except neccessities are actually neccessary, clearly.

tylermunjkt
02-06-2011, 10:32 AM
Well, its not really necessary. They are supposed to look 'Cool' and attract the person to it. It's no different to a normal phone. You can only download apps and play them. The Ipad is just another board game (If you get me) Its like another 'cool' phone but square.

Really, they are just for people who think they need to look 'Cool'

Conservative,
02-06-2011, 10:39 AM
My stand is this:

iPods in general are the most advanced music & app orientated device in the world. The competition is nowhere near apple on apps and music is cheap on iTunes. However...

iPhones are just iPods with a phone +£200. I like them but I think they're overrated. The apps are way ahead of the competition but other than that it's just a phone. I think they have a use as the apps can be very helpful (maps, info etc.) and entertaining. People need them to communicate and the apps are an extra that they want to have. What's so wrong about that.

iPads however are just an enlarged iPod Touch with 3G internet. I don't see the point of that.

AgnesIO
02-06-2011, 10:45 AM
My thoughts..

This question is ridiculous. iProducts (looking at iPhones and iPads) are just a form of mobile smartphones and tablet computers. So if you ask a question on them, you should ask are smart phones and tablet computers necessary. And if you ask that question, I would question why you have put the two together when one is a phone and one is a tablet.

Tablet Computers are not NECESSARY, however they are just another form of computer (albeit they are in early development). Now if you look at that, I would say they are not necessary, however a computer is. A computer is obviously necessary in todays world, however a tablet is just an ultra-mobile form of a computer - so, in someways you could say they are necessary as computers, however are not vital as we already have laptops, desktops, all-in-ones, netbooks and others.

Smartphones are not necessary. Although many people would struggle to get by with their mobile phones, a smartphone is just a gadget - which is not necessary. I do love my Motorola Milestone (a smartphone based on the Android operating system), but I don't require it to live - like I do with food and water. So no, obviously it is not necessary. Although you could say the same about computers, if you stopped the use of computers now the current gadget-controlled world would be screwed.

lol
02-06-2011, 11:43 AM
No, iPads and iPhones are not necessary to function in every day activities. I'm under the assumption that everybody on this forum has a couple of friends (in real life), and I'm willing to bet that a fair share of these comrades do not have an iPad nor an iPhone. Yet they seem to be co-existing peacefully with those who do own the products. We can also assume that there is at least one human in third world countries who lack either an iPad or iPhone, whether it be due to product shortages, a lack of income, or just a simple distaste for Apple products.

Total iPad sales have been predicted to be more than 54 million by the year 2017. The human population is projected to hit seven billion by 2012, so that will leave approximately 6,946,000,000 people on earth who don't have iPads. Percentage-wise, that's 99.23% of humanity that will lack these products. The gist of my argument is that, the idea of an iPad, let alone an iPhone, being necessarily to sustain human life is absurd.

Sources
http://blogs.forbes.com/greatspeculations/2011/05/17/ipad-sales-slow-but-apple-still-lord-of-tablet-land/

http://www.census.gov/ipc/www/popwnote.html

Waaaak
02-06-2011, 11:59 AM
iPhone yes, iPad no, just my opinion.

AgnesIO
02-06-2011, 12:05 PM
iPhone yes, iPad no, just my opinion.

Wait, so you don't think the world would work without the iPhone?

HotelUser
02-06-2011, 12:06 PM
Clothes and nice food isn't necessary, that doesn't mean we don't want it. Same with iPads and iPhones and other electronic consumer products (I knew when I read the title of this that you would annoyed at the terminology :P).

Waaaak
02-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Wait, so you don't think the world would work without the iPhone?
No, no, my bad. I just think the world is better off with iPhones lol.

AgnesIO
02-06-2011, 12:10 PM
No, no, my bad. I just think the world is better off with iPhones lol.

Why? I don't see why the world is better off with iPhones? Smartphones maybe. The world would not suffer without the iPhone.

Clothes and nice food isn't necessary, that doesn't mean we don't want it. Same with iPads and iPhones and other electronic consumer products (I knew when I read the title of this that you would annoyed at the terminology :P).

It is a debate by, no offence to the OP, someone who doesn't really understand the subject which kind of hurts the debate lol

Red
02-06-2011, 12:11 PM
Well I think its weird that so many children have phones. It's sad cause I remember as a kid getting so much joy out of playing with a cardboard box and using my imagination LMAO. Today's generation of kids have lost that. I remember when I was 8 and my mum got this big vodaphone brick and she was like you can have one when you were 15. LOL I have no doubts that people could live without them but I disagree with this:

he primary functions of phones are supposed to be communicating with other people and receiving calls. With all those apps rubbish, it's unnecessary
It rolls so many devices into one. An ipod, camera. I don't even bring my digital with me anymore because it's all in one single device. An apps make life a hell lot of easier. If I wanna check cinema times on the go, I can. I have a dictaphone for recording lectures etc. My life anyway is made a ton easier by the iphone.

iBlueBox
02-06-2011, 12:40 PM
Why? I don't see why the world is better off with iPhones? Smartphones maybe. The world would not suffer without the iPhone.

It is a debate by, no offence to the OP, someone who doesn't really understand the subject which kind of hurts the debate lol

Yes we had Smartphones before the iPhone, but the iPhone did kick start the ones we have today.

So without the iPhone, there wouldn't of been most of the advance smartphones today.

The iPhone kick started the game.

AgnesIO
02-06-2011, 01:09 PM
Yes we had Smartphones before the iPhone, but the iPhone did kick start the ones we have today.

So without the iPhone, there wouldn't of been most of the advance smartphones today.

That doesn't make them necessary?

GommeInc
02-06-2011, 01:27 PM
My stand is this:

iPods in general are the most advanced music & app orientated device in the world. The competition is nowhere near apple on apps and music is cheap on iTunes. However...

iPhones are just iPods with a phone +£200. I like them but I think they're overrated. The apps are way ahead of the competition but other than that it's just a phone. I think they have a use as the apps can be very helpful (maps, info etc.) and entertaining. People need them to communicate and the apps are an extra that they want to have. What's so wrong about that.

iPads however are just an enlarged iPod Touch with 3G internet. I don't see the point of that.
Bit in bold: Cheaper else where. Infact, iTunes is one of the most expensive places to buy music. Adding to this is the fact that the music is exclusive to people who only have iTunes (no "online" store), however Play.com and Amazon.co.uk allow the music to be downloaded by everyone and for any device, and for a decent price and usually with some decent offers, especially if you have an NUS card :P The iPod was a lousy MP3 device when it first came out and was too restricted compared to the Creative Zen, Zen Vision: M and Zen Mini. However, the original iPod Mini looked and felt amazing. The Nano and Shuffle - basically a 1st Gen Nano sliced in half - feel cheap but the music side has improved. iPods seem to be dying out from what I can tell, but it could just be me :P People seem more interested in iPhones as it combines iPods into a phone device, having both the iPhone and an iPod is insane :P

The rest I agree with, although the iPad has quite a few uses. Saying that though, it's a bit of effort to lug something around like that when going out for the sake of entertainment on the go - you actually need to carry a shoulder/backpack now.

No electronic, handheld, personal device is necessary. The only necessary eletronic devices are things that keep you alive, and the iPhone, iPad, Zens, Macs, PCs, iPods, televisions and so forth are far from necessary, they're just convenient :P

Eric
02-06-2011, 01:38 PM
Life was so simple when Apple and Blackberry are fruits.

So i think its not really necessary. People are just using them to boast. Showing other people how cool they are.

And teens are very immature when they have all these Apple products. For example :

Chris : Hey Patrick!
Patrick : Hey Chris!
Chris : Hmm , hold on a sec , my friends is calling me.
- takes out his iphone -
Chris : Hey Michael wassup.
Patrick : Woah you got an iPhone!
Chris : Hah! My dad bought it for me. How cool is that. What phone are you using ?
Patrick : Nokia C3
Chris : eww , that's old. Iphone has this ( blah blah blah blah blah )

Soo yeahh Lool.

Mr-Trainor
02-06-2011, 01:45 PM
The design may be similar from the front, and it uses the same iOS, but there's a lot more differences between the iPad and iPod Touch than just 3G Internet (and some are just wifi anyway).

My thoughts..

This question is ridiculous. iProducts (looking at iPhones and iPads) are just a form of mobile smartphones and tablet computers. So if you ask a question on them, you should ask are smart phones and tablet computers necessary. And if you ask that question, I would question why you have put the two together when one is a phone and one is a tablet.

This is my view on this particular debate as well.

Cerys
03-06-2011, 02:51 PM
This debate is just like asking are ipods and computers necessary.
People use them for entertainment, and sometimes for school reasons etc.
:D

AgnesIO
03-06-2011, 03:20 PM
This debate is just like asking are ipods and computers necessary.
People use them for entertainment, and sometimes for school reasons etc.
:D

No..this debate is asking if iPads and iPhones are necessary.

What you said said is like asking if mobile smartphones and computers are necessary, or more to the point to what you said, are MP3 players and computers really necessary.

Cerys
03-06-2011, 03:24 PM
No..this debate is asking if iPads and iPhones are necessary.

What you said said is like asking if mobile smartphones and computers are necessary, or more to the point to what you said, are MP3 players and computers really necessary.

I'm comparing this debate to that. It's got multiple answers etc, because ipads can be used for school, just like computers.

AgnesIO
03-06-2011, 03:24 PM
I'm comparing this debate to that. It's got multiple answers etc, because ipads can be used for school, just like computers.

But an iPad is a computer. And a computer is superior for school work.

Cerys
03-06-2011, 03:26 PM
But an iPad is a computer. And a computer is superior for school work.

Yes, it is a computer, but it's more, portable (i think the word is), and it has much more things on it that you can't have on a computer.

AgnesIO
03-06-2011, 03:29 PM
Yes, it is a computer, but it's more, portable (i think the word is), and it has much more things on it that you can't have on a computer.

What like USB ports, flash, microsoft office etc

Yeah definitely, far more things than you get on a computer :rolleyes:

Cerys
03-06-2011, 03:31 PM
No, I mean such as some games, and apps. (I'm not sure, but I think you can also use it as a phone? I dunno :P )

AgnesIO
03-06-2011, 03:32 PM
No, I mean such as some games, and apps. (I'm not sure, but I think you can also use it as a phone? I dunno :P )

OH BECAUSE HAVING GAMES AND APPS IS SOO EDUCATIONAL.

Oh and you can get better 'apps' on a computer.

Cerys
03-06-2011, 03:33 PM
OH BECAUSE HAVING GAMES AND APPS IS SOO EDUCATIONAL.

Oh and you can get better 'apps' on a computer.

Not JUST for educational needs, for ENTERTAINMENT. :)

AgnesIO
03-06-2011, 03:35 PM
Not JUST for educational needs, for ENTERTAINMENT. :)

www.addictinggames.com
www.miniclip.om
www.twomilliongamingwebsites.com

I am sorry, but no way in hell is an iPad better than a computer. Nothing like.

Cerys
03-06-2011, 03:42 PM
www.addictinggames.com
www.miniclip.om

I never said it was better, but it does have some advantages.
You can carry it around easily, but it could be damaged.
You can go on those games you posted, but it could be slow

AgnesIO
03-06-2011, 03:57 PM
I never said it was better, but it does have some advantages.
You can carry it around easily, but it could be damaged.
You can go on those games you posted, but it could be slow

You could download games too - then it won't be at all slow.

Just wondering, have you ever heard of an ultra-portable laptop/netbook?

Can you name lots of these things you get on the iPad and not on the computer?

HotelUser
03-06-2011, 03:58 PM
www.addictinggames.com
www.miniclip.om

I personally believe it is personal preference. I purchased an iPad in lieu of a MacBook because:

1. It has better battery life
2. Its smaller
3. It has instant standby and I don't have to wait for it to boot if I want to use it.
4. It has a touch screen
5. It has 3g built in
6. It has a solid state storage unit

You could argue why you'd want a laptop instead too of course. But I'm not sure you could say its as black as computers are better period :P

AgnesIO
03-06-2011, 04:02 PM
I personally believe it is personal preference. I purchased an iPad in lieu of a MacBook because:

1. It has better battery life
2. Its smaller
3. It has instant standby and I don't have to wait for it to boot if I want to use it.
4. It has a touch screen
5. It has 3g built in
6. It has a solid state storage unit

You could argue why you'd want a laptop instead too of course. But I'm not sure you could say its as black as computers are better period :P

So you have no other computer apart from an iPad. David? ;)

Why do you have that other computer, if you have the iPad which can do everything + more than a PC/Mac? ;) Btw that is the view toxic put across, not my view.

Don't get me wrong, the iPad/other tablets have advantages. However I categorically disagree that the iPad does much more than a PC/Mac.

iBlueBox
03-06-2011, 06:03 PM
I waited, in line for the iPad 2 , 10 hour's in line was about 12th in Liverpool One, (was rather fun).

I use my iPad for load of things,
- Powerpoints for revision,
- Documents for essays.
- Entertainment,

I find it good to use educationally when it has came to revising for my GCSE's,
I wouldn't say it was as good as my iMac, but I would say it is a great extension.

HotelUser
03-06-2011, 06:24 PM
So you have no other computer apart from an iPad. David? ;)

Why do you have that other computer, if you have the iPad which can do everything + more than a PC/Mac? ;) Btw that is the view toxic put across, not my view.

Don't get me wrong, the iPad/other tablets have advantages. However I categorically disagree that the iPad does much more than a PC/Mac.

You said no way a computer is better, not that it can do more. And I wouldn't argue that it could do more, although it can do a lot a computer can't do, and vice versa ;)

Cerys
03-06-2011, 08:05 PM
You said no way a computer is better, not that it can do more. And I wouldn't argue that it could do more, although it can do a lot a computer can't do, and vice versa ;)

I agree with you, the ipad has good aspects and negative aspects against the computer.

Accipiter
03-06-2011, 08:23 PM
They're just another glamorous gift that people use to feel socially excepted, thats apples target audience, the people who want to be cool.

The apps are pointless, when I tryed the iPad in the store half the apps didn't even work properly... they're just a social necessity they aren't useful.

Yupt
03-06-2011, 09:46 PM
Really cant be assed to read every post in this thread.

But very few things are really "necessary". These few things include water, food etc.

The iPhone is just an accessory to make things a hell of a lot easier combining a computer, notes, games, music and telephone all in one with much, much more. Its like asking whether a lighter is necessary - no its not, but its a hell of alot easier than using matches.

Hayleigh
03-06-2011, 10:02 PM
I think you could say pretty much everything in life is not necessary, obviously food,water and warmth is but OK. If you were to put in order things you need in life, a phone or computer would not even be included in the list. Should computers or phones suddenly disappear, yes daily activities would become harder, but humans have lives for thousands of years without any sort of modern technology, so we'd get by.
In terms of Ipads or Iphones specifically, no they are not necessary, but I have fallen in love wit my ipod (it's similar) and my sister's iphone.

AgnesIO
03-06-2011, 10:25 PM
I think you could say pretty much everything in life is not necessary, obviously food,water and warmth is but OK. If you were to put in order things you need in life, a phone or computer would not even be included in the list. Should computers or phones suddenly disappear, yes daily activities would become harder, but humans have lives for thousands of years without any sort of modern technology, so we'd get by.
In terms of Ipads or Iphones specifically, no they are not necessary, but I have fallen in love wit my ipod (it's similar) and my sister's iphone.

The world would be screwed without computers.

iBlueBox
03-06-2011, 10:39 PM

You'd be blonde hair , blue eyes speaking German, If it wasn't for basic computers and phones back in the day, and code breakers.

Hayleigh
03-06-2011, 11:32 PM
What I mean is we COULD survive without but Computers are necessary.

The Don
03-06-2011, 11:48 PM
You'd be blonde hair , blue eyes speaking German, If it wasn't for basic computers and phones back in the day, and code breakers.

That's technology in general, were talking specifically about iphones and ipad :P

tdi
04-06-2011, 12:24 AM
Saying an iPhone is unnesscesary because 'the primary function of a phone is to communicate with people' is basically saying 'why buy a ferrari when you can just ride the bus?' - The mobile telephone market is very competitive and phone manufacturerers strive to compete with eachother to have 'the best phone' - I have an iPhone and the sole reason I got it was because I was due an upgrade and I like the build quality and feel of Apple products. Sure, I have a Windows PC and the only other Apple product I have is an iPod, solely for the use in my car. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one mid-contract.

It's basically making things easier, like everything is these days. If things weren't made easier, we'd still be building things out of whatever we could using medieval tools. Sure, you don't NEED all of the functions it offers, but they're there.

Moving on to the iPad, at first I thought it was pretty useless, but after adapting to the fact that 'they're here' they do seem pretty useful. I wouldn't buy one as a gadget, but I have seen many cases in which people own them for productivity. I know people who work with graphics and media and use them for that, they are quite useful, especially with the fact they are so future-proof and reliable. Essentialy, they are an elegant tablet PC.

-:Undertaker:-
04-06-2011, 06:31 PM
I know I could easily do without a mobile phone (and hope to be rid of it when I eventually can drive, maybe keeping one switched off in the boot for emergencies) and i'm not good in all at technology. So they aren't all that needed, at least not to me.

Recursion
05-06-2011, 09:53 AM

Android was already in development long before the iPhone ever was. Also Apple blatently stole the App idea from the first jailbreaks on good ol' iPhone OS v1.1.x

GommeInc
05-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Android was already in development long before the iPhone ever was. Also Apple blatently stole the App idea from the first jailbreaks on good ol' iPhone OS v1.1.x
Wasn't Windows Mobile also the Mobile OS that sort of kick started the game? The only difference was it didn't have a fruit logo on the side.

Recursion
05-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Wasn't Windows Mobile also the Mobile OS that sort of kick started the game? The only difference was it didn't have a fruit logo on the side.

Could also say PDAs such as Palm Pilot had a lot to do with it, they had "apps" and things.

GommeInc
05-06-2011, 09:36 PM
Could also say PDAs such as Palm Pilot had a lot to do with it, they had "apps" and things.
Hmm, true :P Was Apple innovative at all when creating the iPhone? If anything, they just clumped a load of ideas together at the right time where phones like the Sony Ericsson k800i smartphones needed to evolve further.

lol
06-06-2011, 09:50 AM

Didn't they have web apps available from the getgo?

Jay.
06-06-2011, 10:40 AM
I LOVE MY IPAD<3<3<3

It's so useful I use it on the train on the way to and from work :)

Muct
06-06-2011, 10:47 PM
Ofcourse they're not 'necessary' it's not like you're going to die or the world's going to end because you don't have one.

Robi
05-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Everyone is different, I personally love technology and think that if you use an iPad or an iPhone for most things daily/work etc then yes. If you just have one because they are "trendy" then no.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!