PDA

View Full Version : Irish isp

Richie
02-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Hey,
This thread is basically just a rant, it really pisses me off how Ireland is so bloody far behind technology wise. I'm on one of Irelands fastest home packages and it certainly isn't worth the costs in this day and age. I'm on next generation broadband atm and if this is the next generation we are all ******. Perhaps I'm just greedy and have lost of needs :P.

http://speedtest.net/result/1323453531.png

Recursion
02-06-2011, 03:38 PM
wth is "next generation broadband"? LOL. Do you not have any fibre providers like we have Virgin Media and BT?

You're not that bad off really, I live in the countryside in England and all we manage is ADSL2+ with ~6Mbps down, 0.5Mbps up, I'd say your speeds are fairly standard :P

Meanies
02-06-2011, 03:42 PM
what package are you on though on that, the 8 or 24mb
upc do 25mb but they're ***** and are useless. i ordered it last wednesday, supposed to call within two days, no call still.

Richie
02-06-2011, 04:02 PM
wth is "next generation broadband"? LOL. Do you not have any fibre providers like we have Virgin Media and BT?

You're not that bad off really, I live in the countryside in England and all we manage is ADSL2+ with ~6Mbps down, 0.5Mbps up, I'd say your speeds are fairly standard :P

The thing is though this is the best package I can get and I live basically in the heart of Dublin.

what package are you on though on that, the 8 or 24mb
upc do 25mb but they're ***** and are useless. i ordered it last wednesday, supposed to call within two days, no call still.

Upc is **** man don't get it, my mates have it and although they promise whatever speeds they don't follow through. My mates disconnect constantly from the internet. I'd say your best bet is eircom but even with them they promise you a certain speed and don't follow through neither.

---------- Post added 02-06-2011 at 05:03 PM ----------

My only other option is to get a business package which would cost loads, so no thanks.

Recursion
02-06-2011, 04:17 PM
The only other alternative I can think of is bonded ADSL, but it would probably be quite expensive and overkill for a home user.

Meanies
02-06-2011, 04:18 PM
The thing is though this is the best package I can get and I live basically in the heart of Dublin.

Upc is **** man don't get it, my mates have it and although they promise whatever speeds they don't follow through. My mates disconnect constantly from the internet. I'd say your best bet is eircom but even with them they promise you a certain speed and don't follow through neither.

---------- Post added 02-06-2011 at 05:03 PM ----------

My only other option is to get a business package which would cost loads, so no thanks.

We're only doing it through them 'cus we're getting the tv from them, and they do free calls to the uk too, but the rate it's going we won't be getting it with them anyway

Jack!
03-06-2011, 08:18 AM
You sure that's the best you can get, I would guess somehow, the 57% that are faster then you must be getting there net from somewhere?

I feel your pain, until we got fibre :P

JerseySafety
03-06-2011, 08:45 AM
We don't have fibre providers; well I'm pretty sure we don't, think they are sorting it out or installing it or summin.

My speed is ok; but we have a dumb limit like 5GB or something tiny, so a lot of the time I'm on dial-up which is really slow.

wixard
03-06-2011, 09:09 AM
I've UPC and I live closer to the city centre than you and it's absolutely perfect? nothing wrong at all we have 20mb and we usually manage around 17 18 on the speed test and that's with about 4 laptops running

paddy140
04-06-2011, 01:25 PM
I am from Ireland and I agree I used to have eircom 8mb but it really was to expensive so we changed over to UPC 20mb and I think it is good. Since I got it I say I have d/c about 3 times but compared to eircom I used to d/c over 10 times a week. UPC do have a 100mb package and it is out. My friend has it and the speeds are unreal.

dbgtz
04-06-2011, 02:36 PM
say what? You're moaning?

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1326376311.png

at least I get fibre optics soon :L

really it could be the area not the country on the whole.

Kevinb
05-06-2011, 09:00 PM
here, if UPC is available in your area - avail of it.

the speeds are consistent and will generally always top the ones mentioned in your post - UPC's network is a fairly advanced fibre infrastructure, it's you that's behind using eircom not the ISP's.

also fyi, next generation is just fancy eircom lingo for non contested broadband which means your connection is one with the isp not shared with multiple houses which was the way up untill recently so the speeds advertised are the ones you get.

Eoin247
05-06-2011, 09:36 PM
Ireland I live in the countryside in the center of Ireland and we use satelite broadband. It's fast enough but has a stupidly small limit.

Recursion
05-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Ireland I live in the countryside in the center of Ireland and we use satelite broadband. It's fast enough but has a stupidly small limit.

OUCH. Seriously, SUCKS. TO. BE. YOU.

Richie
05-06-2011, 11:00 PM
Wi-max is meant to be good, anyone experienced their services?

Recursion
06-06-2011, 01:11 PM
Wi-max is meant to be good, anyone experienced their services?

Don't even bother if you can get some sort of cable put in (unless it's dial-up, in which case, get Wimax).

Kevinb
06-06-2011, 10:42 PM
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055709982&page=101

an idea of WiMax, a big no no.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!