PDA

View Full Version : I need glasses :(

Jssy
05-06-2011, 02:19 PM
I'm probs making a big deal out of this, but I went to the opticions the other day and last year I could read the small letters and this year I can only read the big ones and the woman said I'm short sighted and I'm pickingup some glasses this week which are black plastic prescription ones but I'm really worried about wearing glasses. I know millions of people wear glasses but I never imagined I'd have to so I'm kind of gutted. The woman said I have to wear them for computer, reading, writing, drawing and any other school work, watching tv, looking in to distances etc and then she said so it's not all the time, but I seriously can't think of a time I won't need them? I've been having headaches for a while and my eyes going a bit blurry but I thought it was one of the effects of my hayfever so I realise I need them. I've even thought about contact lenses but I'd have to pay for them myself. Has anyone had the same problem as me? I'm just mainly worried about what people will say and if they won't suit me etc. -sigh- :(

Catzsy
05-06-2011, 02:22 PM
I tried contact lenses and no good due to allergy but glasses are okay. I have to wear them for TV , during lectures and driving that's all really. I think you should get them otherwise your eyes will strain and that's what leads the headaches. I am short sighted too and don't need them for the computer. :S

Smurfed-
05-06-2011, 02:32 PM
:( glasses are fine im sure people wont make fun. I had cataracts witch is this thing that clouds up your eye. I had them removed 2 years ago and I have to wear glasses all the time. you should get them it will help with the headaches and the other problems.

ben
05-06-2011, 02:35 PM
If you are short sighted I doubt you will need them for the computer, reading, writing drawing or schoolwork
I am shortsighted and only use them for driving and cinema or to see the front in a lesson

Eric
05-06-2011, 03:18 PM
My shortsighted is the worst. And yes i wear glasses. If yu wear contact lenses you have to take very good care of it. If you forget to take it out before you sleep , it's very dangerous. Plus it's very expensive. You have to buy another pair of new contact lenses for every 2 months if im not wrong. Im not sure buying how many of them but i remember my friend used to wear them and he bought 5 pairs a year. I wear my spectacles for everything.because my shortsightedness is so bad that i can't even see my own hands clearly when i took of my specs lol. So i prefer wearing glasses than wearing contact lenses. And i think you should wear it too.

MizzBex
05-06-2011, 03:31 PM
you can get loads of different glasses nowadays so just find some that suit you - or if you're really conscious try contacts :)

Conservative,
05-06-2011, 03:48 PM
I have glasses and although I don't need them all the time (only really for TV/Computer & reading) I wear them anyway because my parents never told me I only needed them then so I got used to it -.- But if you don't wear them when you need them your eyes get worse until you can't see anything because you're straining them so wear them and put up when you have to otherwise you'll end up having to have them all the time or not be able to see anything.

.x.miss.angel.x
05-06-2011, 03:53 PM
I love my glasses ;) I have to wear them all the time, since it would be hard to see anything in the distance (Im short sighted i think, Is it short sighted can't see far or is it, urg i know they are funny and oposite or whatever) I have Ray bans, so maybe consider paying an extra £50 or so to get some designer ones, they make me feel more confident for no reason whatsoever :L

dbgtz
05-06-2011, 06:13 PM
To be honest you'll need them less than you think :P I mean mine eyes are quite bad (short sighted like most) and I still only really need them for reading the board at school (and obviously for driving I will need them when I do drive). I wear them for gaming too but I could easily not, same with the TV (but rarely do I use them for that). And to be quite frank, glasses aren't half bad when you're used to them.

Inseriousity.
05-06-2011, 08:06 PM
I was in the same situation. Only needed them for looking at the board in class if it was too far away etc but I didn't like wearing them cos of what other people would think. However, you get to a point where actually it's a lot better to wear your glasses and not have to suffer squinting at the board just because of what other people would think. Glasses are so commonplace that the novelty will eventually die down and no-one will bat an eyelid after a few days. I wouldn't worry bout it. :)

Jssy
07-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Thanks guys I feel a bit better now. To the person that said I wont need them for reading and writing I think I will because if I sturggle to see the board my eyes go blurry then I look down and its still blurry :( I've got to go get them fitted on Thursday but I'm kinda excited now :)

KyleSmith
08-06-2011, 10:59 AM
I have to wear glasses, I don't do it though, I had contact lenses a months supply and tried them. They was not for me as I have hayfeaver and I couldn't tell if they were inside out or not.

I have exactly the same problem as you, computer, school work, reading etc. I choose not to wear them as I just cannot stand wearing any type of glasses.

I told my mother I do not wear them because I will be having laser eye surgery to fix it, sounds like a plan eh?

Catzsy
08-06-2011, 12:17 PM
Thanks guys I feel a bit better now. To the person that said I wont need them for reading and writing I think I will because if I sturggle to see the board my eyes go blurry then I look down and its still blurry :( I've got to go get them fitted on Thursday but I'm kinda excited now :)

Great stuff. I really don't think that there is a stigma to wearing glasses these days. In fact they have become a fashion item. :)

Muct
08-06-2011, 03:04 PM
lol I need them too but I don't wear them:/

Jordan:A
13-06-2011, 10:41 PM
You should ask them about trying contact lenses, they can give you a few to sample and see if they are ok, they done this with me.
I find wearing contact lenses easier than glasses, I get 20 pairs of contact lenses for £15 each month.

buttons
13-06-2011, 10:56 PM
you should've asked the optician to help you pick out colours/shapes that suit you. if they're prescription can you not look for ones where you pay a little? it can be expensive mine were over £100 but had them a couple of year now
i'v had glasses since i was 10 or so, i needed it for the board/cinema etc. i never wore them yet my eyes haven't got better/worse. i do use a pair for driving though, they're purple!!! i sometimes wear em if i need a pick me up aha glasses can look really great actually!

Jssy
13-06-2011, 11:02 PM
I'm wearing them atm actually lol. I've got used to them already.

http://i56.tinypic.com/6yee13.jpg

Jordan:A
13-06-2011, 11:11 PM
They suit you :)

jimi
14-06-2011, 11:39 AM
get contact lenses, I have dailies, it was the best decision ever :P

Repentance?
19-06-2011, 01:57 PM
They'll be fine, i've just gotten my glasses as i am extremely short sighted and I thought everyone was going to laugh at me but in fact they said that I looked cute in them and just loved them. I got frequent head aches before I got them but once I had them it was a relief, I don;t use mine for walking around the street, computers or when i'm using my mobile or for sport, although I am meant to... Don't build yourself up to be mocked or anything, It will be fine!

Cosmic
19-06-2011, 02:02 PM
You should ask them about trying contact lenses, they can give you a few to sample and see if they are ok, they done this with me.
I find wearing contact lenses easier than glasses, I get 20 pairs of contact lenses for £15 each month.

I totally agree with this. I really hated wearing glasses and decided to ask if I could try contacts and I'm really glad I did. Mine are monthly and they're really easy to use/take care of. I used to feel quite self-conscious when wearing glasses, so contacts helped me a lot. They're definitely worth a shot.

J0SH
20-06-2011, 12:59 AM
Lazik eye surgery is always an option..

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!