PDA

View Full Version : [Film] The Human Centipede II - UK Release BANNED

Judas
06-06-2011, 08:49 PM
LOL

Warning: This article contains details of the plot of the movie, and some explicit descriptions.
Last year's The Human Centipede was mad, bad and really quite grotesque. But this year's sequel, imaginatively called The Human Centipede II, has been rejected by the British Board of Film Classification on the basis that it is "sexually violent and potentially obscene". This means that the DVD cannot be legally supplied anywhere in the UK.

The original film was released, uncut, as an 18 last year. This one, however, apparently has "unacceptable material" throughout which cannot be remedied with cuts. The filmmakers have six weeks in which to appeal against the decision.

It's worth noting, before we get all up in arms, that this is a relatively rare decision for the BBFC, who outlined their reasons at some length and stressed that the full Board was in on this one. The full reasoning is below - but if you're of a sensitive disposition even this may be rather unpleasant.

"The first film dealt with a mad doctor who sews together three kidnapped people in order to produce the ‘human centipede’of the title. Although the concept of the film was undoubtedly tasteless and disgusting it was a relatively traditional and conventional horror film and the Board concluded that it was not in breach of our Guidelines at ‘18’. This new work, The Human Centipede II (Full Sequence), tells the story of a man who becomes sexually obsessed with a DVD recording of the first film and who imagines putting the ‘centipede’ idea into practice. Unlike the first film, the sequel presents graphic images of sexual violence, forced defecation, and mutilation, and the viewer is invited to witness events from the perspective of the protagonist. Whereas in the first film the ‘centipede’ idea is presented as a revolting medical experiment, with the focus on whether the victims will be able to escape, this sequel presents the ‘centipede’ idea as the object of the protagonist’s depraved sexual fantasy.

The principal focus of The Human Centipede II (Full Sequence) is the sexual arousal of the central character at both the idea and the spectacle of the total degradation, humiliation, mutilation, torture, and murder of his naked victims. Examples of this include a scene early in the film in which he **********s whilst he watches a DVD of the original Human Centipede film, with sandpaper wrapped around his penis, and a sequence later in the film in which he becomes aroused at the sight of the members of the ‘centipede’ being forced to defecate into one another’s mouths, culminating in sight of the man wrapping barbed wire around his penis and raping the woman at the rear of the ‘centipede’. There is little attempt to portray any of the victims in the film as anything other than objects to be brutalised, degraded and mutilated for the amusement and arousal of the central character, as well as for the pleasure of the audience. There is a strong focus throughout on the link between sexual arousal and sexual violence and a clear association between pain, perversity and sexual pleasure. It is the Board’s conclusion that the explicit presentation of the central character’s obsessive sexually violent fantasies is in breach of its Classification Guidelines and poses a real, as opposed to a fanciful, risk that harm is likely to be caused to potential viewers.

David Cooke, Director of the BBFC said: “It is the Board's carefully considered view that to issue a certificate to this work, even if confined to adults, would be inconsistent with the Board's Guidelines, would risk potential harm within the terms of the VRA, and would be unacceptable to the public.

“The Board also seeks to avoid classifying material that may be in breach of the Obscene Publications Acts 1959 and 1964 (OPA) or any other relevant legislation. The OPA prohibits the publication of works that have a tendency to deprave or corrupt a significant proportion of those likely to see them. In order to avoid classifying potentially obscene material, the Board engages in regular discussions with the relevant enforcement agencies, including the CPS, the police, and the Ministry of Justice. It is the Board’s view that there is a genuine risk that this video work, The Human Centipede II (Full Sequence), may be considered obscene within the terms of the OPA, for the reasons given above."
http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=31162

Basically, I don't really mind if it is banned or if the appeal is successful because I have no incentive to watch it. In my opinion, it's just an attempt at being shocking and gruesome for the sake of hype, attention and money. I mean, reading that article and hearing some of the things they've put into the film are just laughable and ridiculous.

I can fully understand why it has been banned, though I'm not really bothered.

Thoughts?

Thread opened by Infectious (Forum Super Moderator): Thread re-opened after cool down period.

lawrawrrr
06-06-2011, 08:58 PM
I think I just vomited.

This film is gonna be more messed up than the first... I doubt they'll appeal... they'd have to practically reshoot it all ;l

Misawa
06-06-2011, 09:08 PM
No film should ever be banned. If you're 18+ you should be able to see whatever you want. The BBFC are backward and we need a ratings system like the US where films don't need ratings to be distributed.

Recursion
06-06-2011, 09:23 PM
It's like Clockwork Orange, it'll be banned but people will still watch it, not really a huge deal.

Eoin247
06-06-2011, 09:29 PM
It sounds like a discusting film, made me feel kinda sick reading the plot to this movie. But i agree with Misawa. No film should be banned. You should be able to watch whatever you want once your 18.

Misawa
06-06-2011, 09:36 PM
It's like Clockwork Orange, it'll be banned but people will still watch it, not really a huge deal.

Essentially no one saw A Clockwork Orange in the UK when it was banned. It wasn't like today when an uncut bootleg will end up on the internet.

Judas
06-06-2011, 09:45 PM
i agree films shouldn't be banned ever, at the end of the day it is art that someone has put time into and i'm sure the viewer would know what they are in for if they are buying a copy. but in this particular instance, i don't really give a ****

Inseriousity.
06-06-2011, 10:04 PM
I don't really care for the same reason. I won't watch it, those who want to watch it will go out of their way to try and get it so no harm done. Personally, I think it sounds like a disgusting film but to each their own.

peteyt
06-06-2011, 10:20 PM
As a horror fan I still haven't seen the original but this sounds a bit WTF.

Some films shock but have a story and then some films just want to shock. I prefer classic stuff which actually has a story.

Jay.
06-06-2011, 10:24 PM
sandpaper and barbed wire. THE **.

GommeInc
06-06-2011, 11:03 PM
I wouldn't watch it but I can see the point behind banning it if the Obscene Publications Act has come into play here. It's not a film to be enjoyed, more a film to be sick during. 18 is the limit they can go to, if a film goes beyond the guidelines of an 18 then it's definitely not good for viewers :P

Judas
06-06-2011, 11:43 PM
As a horror fan I still haven't seen the original but this sounds a bit WTF.

Some films shock but have a story and then some films just want to shock. I prefer classic stuff which actually has a story.

oh, of course. but the human centipede is just about trying to be as obscene, disgusting and shocking as possible. that's why i feel like it isn't worth my time or money lol

Neversoft
06-06-2011, 11:51 PM
I have mixed opinions on the BBFC. I can understand why they cut some things, but others I just have to sit and ponder. They cut five seconds from The Good, The Bad, The Weird because it showed a horse falling over.

Kubrick withdrew A Clockwork Orange himself. It wasn't widely seen in the UK until after his death.

peteyt
07-06-2011, 12:10 AM
oh, of course. but the human centipede is just about trying to be as obscene, disgusting and shocking as possible. that's why i feel like it isn't worth my time or money lol

Thus why I'm not keen on it. I always compare today's horror to the original Halloween no blood yet still loved by many today

GirlNextDoor15
07-06-2011, 12:53 AM
This film is really disgusting. However, it should not be banned because it's not likely that the people will not watch it although it is banned. They can still watch it on websites or in short, internet.

peteyt
07-06-2011, 01:28 AM
The problem is that some films benefit from having their films banned with lots of people trying to get hold of it. Although sometimes it can backfire as they end up downloading it.

It was different before the digital era of today obviously. For example Cannibal Holocaust, which was deemed a video nasty and I believe still can't be legally bought fully uncut, definitely benefited. The director had to actually go to court with his actors to prove they where still alive. But this I believe just made more people want to see the film.

A film I've never seen called Snuff tried to use this to their advantage. The film was originally called Slaughter and a distributor actually added a new scene to the end of the film and then changed the name, the new scene showing the apparent film crew for Slaughter killing a women. When the film was released the new distributor actually hired people to protest outside the cinema as a way to entice people to come and see it and people actually ended up protesting for real.

Sounds interesting but the film itself does sound and apparently is crap.

Judas
07-06-2011, 09:02 AM
Thus why I'm not keen on it. I always compare today's horror to the original Halloween no blood yet still loved by many today

yeah loads of gore etc does nothing for me personally.

RockyHorror
07-06-2011, 09:14 AM
They couldn't of planned it better, being banned in such a notable country will only propel people to find a way to watch it.

peteyt
07-06-2011, 01:00 PM
It just makes me laugh how people think over the top gore makes a film

Misawa
07-06-2011, 03:33 PM
They couldn't of planned it better, being banned in such a notable country will only propel people to find a way to watch it.

It's no publicity stunt. Being censored in a country is not what a film-maker wants.

Judas
07-06-2011, 03:47 PM
i still can't even get my head round this foolishness...

******* with sand paper?

really?

oh, it gets better. apparently this is art.

Thank you BBFC for putting spoilers of my movie on your website and thank you for banning my film in this exceptional way. Apparently I made an horrific horror-film, but shouldn't a good horror film be horrific? My dear people it is a ******* MOVIE."

It is all fictional. Not real. It is all make-belief. It is art. Give people their own choice to watch it or not. If people can't handle or like my movies they just don't watch them. If people like my movies they have to be able to see it any time, anywhere also in the UK.

http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/human-centipede-director-hits-back-at-bbfc-ban/217733

I agree with him to a certain extent, but did he really think he could put that kind of thing in his movie and it would be a smooth ride?

Misawa
07-06-2011, 03:58 PM
Like he said: it's a movie.

I've met Tom Six and he's a nice guy. No film, no matter what, deserves to be censored.

Judas
07-06-2011, 04:02 PM
Like he said: it's a movie.

I've met Tom Six and he's a nice guy. No film, no matter what, deserves to be censored.

and i agree. but really, what did he expect... the way he acts so surprised lmao.

i guess this is what happens when you promise to make "the sickest movie of all time" :rolleyes:

Misawa
07-06-2011, 04:07 PM
You set out to make the movie you want to make. I'm not sure what he was expecting, but the first was passed uncut if that's any indication.

AgnesIO
07-06-2011, 04:13 PM
Essentially no one saw A Clockwork Orange in the UK when it was banned. It wasn't like today when an uncut bootleg will end up on the internet.

can you not just torrent it?

Judas
07-06-2011, 04:15 PM
no, he set out to make a movie that will disgust and shock because things like that get hype and attention.

i'm sorry but the BBFC have guidelines that i'm sure he is aware of. whether we agree with the guidelines or not (i personally don't), he still chose to make a movie that breaches those guidelines so he has no right to act surprised or pissed off that it has been banned, because that's what happens. why would they make an exception for him?

yes you will be able to do that anyway so everyone will see it regardless lol

Misawa
07-06-2011, 04:25 PM

I've no intention of doing that. I never have and never will for any film.

However, the censorship will result in those who can't see it using the internet to illegally download it, unless Six compromises and makes cuts. That's just bad business.

Six shot the film in London but he didn't make it to meet guidelines. Why would he shoot a film in a way that ensured the BBFC would approve? He's got the US market to consider where he can release a film unrated if he so chooses.

As you said, his film will shock and repulse people. We're talking about a genre called 'horror' here. If it horrifies people he has done his job. Horror movies aren't all about suspense, tension and masterful scares. Whether people like it or not, ridiculous amounts of anatomically-correct gore and violence are very much a part of the genre and are one of the market's biggest selling points. Do you know how many times distributors have asked to put my words (when describing the violent content) on the front cover of DVDs? I've even had one that merely said "Very bloody" and it was for a film that I detested.

peteyt
07-06-2011, 04:27 PM
I need to watch the first one before I can say much which I intend to do soon. But if the second film is just gore gore gore without a story then I'm not surprised.

AgnesIO
07-06-2011, 04:29 PM

However, the censorship will result in those who can't see it using the internet to illegally download it, unless Six compromises and makes cuts. That's just bad business.

Six shot the film in London but he didn't make it to meet guidelines. Why would he shoot a film in a way that ensured the BBFC would approve? He's got the US market to consider where he can release a film unrated if he so chooses.

As you said, his film will shock and repulse people. We're talking about a genre called 'horror' here. If it horrifies people he has done his job. Horror movies aren't all about suspense, tension and masterful scares. Whether people like it or not, ridiculous amounts of anatomically-correct gore and violence are very much a part of the genre and are one of the market's biggest selling points. Do you know how many times distributors have asked to put my words (when describing the violent content) on the front cover of DVDs? I've even had one that merely said "Very bloody" and it was for a film that I detested.

If you can't buy it in your country, unless you buy it in a different country, then torrenting it is what you have to do..

Misawa
07-06-2011, 04:33 PM
I will just import it. It may be illegal to possess but as long as I'm paying.

peteyt
07-06-2011, 04:37 PM

And that is the problem with today's horror. Directors just tend to have murder after murder, torture after torture etc. I miss the films that actually had some meaning, a purpose other than just wanting to make people vomit.

Judas
07-06-2011, 04:38 PM

i didn't suggest he made it to meet guidelines. i don't care what market he's looking at, but he KNOWS the guidelines given by the BBFC, so why is he throwing a hissy fit when he has breached them? if he only made the film with the US market in mind, then why would he be angry at the BBFC?

and yes i am aware of the concept of a horror movie, i just said i don't like gore, didn't say it shouldn't exist lol, it's just my opinion.

but my point still stands that if he wanted a UK release so bad, then he should've played by the rules. and if he just wanted to make the movie he wanted, then he wouldn't be so wound up about this.

Misawa
07-06-2011, 04:48 PM
And that is the problem with today's horror. Directors just tend to have murder after murder, torture after torture etc. I miss the films that actually had some meaning, a purpose other than just wanting to make people vomit.

I have no problem with gore movies. They are what they are and aren't exactly new to the genre.

peteyt
07-06-2011, 08:55 PM
I have no problem with gore movies. They are what they are and aren't exactly new to the genre.

But appear to lack a script. Too many directors are going down the same route of complete gore, no actual purpose, style, script. It's just gore, gore, gore.

The problem is new horror directors don't want to make an actual film, they just want to make a sickfest. They don't care about anything but topping the last film. Is it just a coincidence that Serbian Film was like the most cut film in 20 years and then this happens, as if the director is like I can be even sicker.

Janet Snakehole
07-06-2011, 09:46 PM
sounds so disgusting but because of that, I know it's a must see...

paddy140
07-06-2011, 11:44 PM
WOWWWWW I am reallly looking forward to this :D

Stephen
08-06-2011, 01:37 AM
All the rapists are gonna be wrapping barbed wire around their ***** now

I'd watch it for a laugh

I mean the film not the rapists

-:Undertaker:-
08-06-2011, 02:18 AM
..and we find out yet again that the nanny state knows what is best for you! but besides, who are the BBFC? do we want them? when did we appoint them? do they know whats best for me? I will most likely watch regardless because now we have this fantastic tool which is very hard to regulate called the internet. In terms of movies, i'll watch because I like the shock and horror value of movies such as this which is basically what the horror genre is after all.

Moh
08-06-2011, 02:41 AM
The fact it's banned makes me want to rebel and watch it.

peteyt
08-06-2011, 02:47 AM
..and we find out yet again that the nanny state knows what is best for you! but besides, who are the BBFC? do we want them? when did we appoint them? do they know whats best for me? I will most likely watch regardless because now we have this fantastic tool which is very hard to regulate called the internet. In terms of movies, i'll watch because I like the shock and horror value of movies such as this which is basically what the horror genre is after all.

The problem is horror can be so much more, about creating surreal and tense environments, often beauty within a nightmare.

Yeah horror is to scare, but can do a lot more than scaring. Today's modern directors just seem to think all horror fans want is blood and guts and cut the rest out. To me its pointless, degrading and just a waste of time to watch, but that's just my opinion.

Just saw this however. A website claiming that it isn't up against the BBFC. Not sure if this is true though
http://www.filmshaft.com/exclusive-human-centipede-2-is-not-up-against-the-bbfc-as-reported/
I'm not saying this film should be banned, no film should be, but I think the director knew what he was doing. Horror used to be about creativity, now its simply about creating the next sickest film. Someone else is going to do something even sicker after this film, with no real script or real point, just so it can become the top of sickness, someone else after that and so on. And in the meantime what horror meant to me slowly dies.

Neversoft
08-06-2011, 02:56 AM
No film, no matter what, deserves to be censored.

I'm not saying this film should be banned, no film should be

So you would both be against the censoring of a snuff film?

08-06-2011, 03:00 AM
The problem is horror can be so much more, about creating surreal and tense environments, often beauty within a nightmare.

Yeah horror is to scare, but can do a lot more than scaring. Today's modern directors just seem to think all horror fans want is blood and guts and cut the rest out. To me its pointless, degrading and just a waste of time to watch, but that's just my opinion.

Just saw this however. A website claiming that it isn't up against the BBFC. Not sure if this is true though
http://www.filmshaft.com/exclusive-human-centipede-2-is-not-up-against-the-bbfc-as-reported/
I'm not saying this film should be banned, no film should be, but I think the director knew what he was doing. Horror used to be about creativity, now its simply about creating the next sickest film. Someone else is going to do something even sicker after this film, with no real script or real point, just so it can become the top of sickness, someone else after that and so on. And in the meantime what horror meant to me slowly dies.

Oh I agree to a point, for example my favourite type of horror is SCREAMesque type horror with humour and shock used as opposed to just blood and gore, but each to their own in terms of taste when it comes to movies and with a lot of other things - and with the internet, control is slipping out of their hands into ours.

Yep.

Eric
08-06-2011, 07:16 AM
This film is very horrible like LOL. The director is crazy.

Misawa
08-06-2011, 09:51 AM

I'm referring to legit movies here. Snuff films are an urban legend anyway. No one's actually seen one.

iBlueBox
08-06-2011, 12:15 PM
whens the trailer even out for this film?

peteyt
08-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Does anyone know if the link I posted is misinformed or is there a chance people have heard wrong and the film isn't going to be banned

Misawa
08-06-2011, 01:42 PM
The BBFC's press release confirmed that it was banned and that cuts could not do anything but tear the film apart, so it will not see any kind of release in the UK.

Judas
08-06-2011, 01:48 PM

i completely agree with you. 'torture porn' movies or whatever it is they call it now do nothing for me, i don't find them scary, i just find them sick, boring and pointless.

peteyt
08-06-2011, 02:23 PM
i completely agree with you. 'torture porn' movies or whatever it is they call it now do nothing for me, i don't find them scary, i just find them sick, boring and pointless.

Thanks glad to hear I'm not alone. I just feel maybe if Tom Six and other directors actually tried to make a decent film then they wouldn't have to worry about it being banned.

Judas
08-06-2011, 02:28 PM
Thanks glad to hear I'm not alone. I just feel maybe if Tom Six and other directors actually tried to make a decent film then they wouldn't have to worry about it being banned.

indeed. instead of trying to make films that are controversial and sickening

Misawa
08-06-2011, 02:28 PM

That's your opinion. Tom Six likes his movie and so will a lot of people. He made the film he wanted to make and should not be seemingly punished for doing so. Australia has passed the film uncut. AUSTRALIA. They'd censor Coronation Street. I'm glad that Bounty Films are appealing the BBFC's decision.

"Torture porn" is a pathetic label. Gore movies have their place in the genre.

Ed.
08-06-2011, 02:37 PM
The first film was pretty disgusting. not sure i'd be watching this one.

Judas
08-06-2011, 02:41 PM
That's your opinion. Tom Six likes his movie and so will a lot of people. He made the film he wanted to make and should not be seemingly punished for doing so. Australia has passed the film uncut. AUSTRALIA. They'd censor Coronation Street. I'm glad that Bounty Films are appealing the BBFC's decision.

"Torture porn" is a pathetic label. Gore movies have their place in the genre.

shut up ...

Edited by Catz (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not be rude

Misawa
08-06-2011, 02:43 PM
Thanks, but no.

Edited by Catz (Forum Super Moderator): Please stay on topic

Judas
08-06-2011, 02:50 PM
Thanks, but no.

omg your large font and bolded wording is intimidating me and is really asserting your god-like qualities... teach me to be you!?!

Edited by Infectious (Forum Super Moderator): Please stay on topic!

Misawa
08-06-2011, 02:57 PM
You can't teach perfection. It's inherent.

Judas
08-06-2011, 03:00 PM
*REMOVED*

Edited by Infectious (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not post inappropriately!

Misawa
08-06-2011, 03:04 PM
I never said it was creative. I didn't even much like The Human Centipede. I just said that the sequel deserves to be seen in its entirety as it's still a perfectly legitimate film and work of art, because those kinds of movies are part of the genre that is horror. They are some of the market's biggest selling movies. Gore sells. You can't ignore such films, that is what I said.

peteyt
08-06-2011, 03:12 PM
I never said it was creative. I didn't even much like The Human Centipede. I just said that the sequel deserves to be seen in its entirety as it's still a perfectly legitimate film and work of art, because those kinds of movies are part of the genre that is horror. They are some of the market's biggest selling movies. Gore sells. You can't ignore such films, that is what I said.

You can't ignore them, but you can detest them. I don't want it to be banned, but to me it seems like the director just wanted to make something as controversial as possible, like he's a rebel without a cause. While he doesn't want it banned, I'm sure he's partly happy knowing it will make more people see it. The problem is these directors are trying to go past the line just for the sake of it. While I think Serbian Film might have done that, at least it had a point an agenda other than to shock.

I could easily go out and attempt to make a gore film, and try to over top this film, but then what would I be giving my audiences. I just wish Horror directors would try to add more than just gore, and try and be different for once. I feel the creativeness of this genre has vanished.

Judas
08-06-2011, 03:16 PM

*REMOVED*

Misawa
08-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Clearly you need to flick through a dictionary.

Judas
08-06-2011, 03:25 PM
Clearly you need to flick through a dictionary.

clearly i don't. but just for the sake of it, let's have a look.

art/ärt/Noun
1. The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.
2. Works produced by such skill and imagination.

so please, explain to me as i am clearly missing something. what is tom six trying to express when he portrays a man ************ with sand paper? what emotion is he trying to convey? how skilled and how imaginative do you need to be to take a group of people and shove their heads up each other's ass holes?

there is literally no point being made here. it's a movie to shock and disgust, which is fine if you like that kind of thing. but it is not art and it is not creative.

GommeInc
08-06-2011, 03:26 PM
People are assuming it's blocked because it's a gory film, when actually it's been blocked to meet the guidelines set out by the BBFC like thousands of other material. It goes beyond an 18, which is quite impressive :P Other things that have been banned from the general public are videos and pictures taken during wars which are too disgusting to be published e.g. people with their heads blown off and their brains flung across the ground.

It's not a film or art, although I think it should be made available to whoever really wants to view it - just don't show it on TV, in the cinema or in public, which is, I believe, the outcome of the ruling - it can't be shown publically or made obtainable to the public.

EDIT: Calling it art is a bit farfetched :P Modern art isn't art, it's just some loon throwing blankets on a bed, urinating everywhere and proclaiming to the world that it shows Ghandhi fighting the Jedi. Tis rubbish.

Neversoft
08-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Yep.

What is wrong with you?

08-06-2011, 11:37 PM
What is wrong with you?

I don't like this stuff, I would find snuff repulsive - however the fact that these people have consented between themselves to allow this to happen and to film it, is a private agreement between individuals and not my business or yours. In terms of watching a film concerning this, the same applies - when you watch a film you are simply paying for a service which is a private agreement.

Now what is the opposition to this where you find it so hard to allow this to happen? you know, its similar in a way to the legalisation of homosexuality. Many found and still find homosexuality downright disgusting however if they were to call for it to be banned on the grounds of it being disgusting i'm sure you among many would be outraged - its about allowing personal preference provided it does not harm others.

I believe in liberty, I accept there are tastes/lifestyles I do not agree with - however I don't feel the need to slap a ban on them.

Judas
09-06-2011, 12:26 AM
I don't like this stuff, I would find snuff repulsive - however the fact that these people have consented between themselves to allow this to happen and to film it, is a private agreement between individuals and not my business or yours. In terms of watching a film concerning this, the same applies - when you watch a film you are simply paying for a service which is a private agreement.

Now what is the opposition to this where you find it so hard to allow this to happen? you know, its similar in a way to the legalisation of homosexuality. Many found and still find homosexuality downright disgusting however if they were to call for it to be banned on the grounds of it being disgusting i'm sure you among many would be outraged - its about allowing personal preference provided it does not harm others.

I believe in liberty, I accept there are tastes/lifestyles I do not agree with - however I don't feel the need to slap a ban on them.

that is such a poor example, filming someone die is nothing like two people of the same sex being in love ... though i can see what you're getting at.

09-06-2011, 01:00 AM
that is such a poor example, filming someone die is nothing like two people of the same sex being in love ... though i can see what you're getting at.

They are a fitting example for one another. Let me explain, I can't use pedophilia for example because that is not consensual therefore I view it was wrong as I do with rape. Homosexuality on the other hand is consensual and although some may argue that it does harm (as snuff does), it remains a private agreement between individuals. The idea is, that what people wish to get up to in their bedroom is none of my concern, the concern of the state or yourself for that matter. The same applies to what people choose to watch, eat, draw, paint, film ~ what private agreements they sign between themselves provided it does not harm another individual.

Thus you have liberty. It does not mean we agree with it, wish to go and view it or even approve of it.

Judas
09-06-2011, 10:27 AM
They are a fitting example for one another. Let me explain, I can't use pedophilia for example because that is not consensual therefore I view it was wrong as I do with rape. Homosexuality on the other hand is consensual and although some may argue that it does harm (as snuff does), it remains a private agreement between individuals. The idea is, that what people wish to get up to in their bedroom is none of my concern, the concern of the state or yourself for that matter. The same applies to what people choose to watch, eat, draw, paint, film ~ what private agreements they sign between themselves provided it does not harm another individual.

Thus you have liberty. It does not mean we agree with it, wish to go and view it or even approve of it.

yes but homosexuality is not just about "what happens in the bedroom", it's not something that would or should be kept private.

and someone getting killed on camera? i would consider that to be harmful, and people watching it for enjoyment is sick.

Misawa
09-06-2011, 10:53 AM
You realise that the BBFC also regulate hardcore pornography?

Snuff films don't exist.

Judas
09-06-2011, 10:56 AM

ummm.. i don't see what you're getting at with this

peteyt
09-06-2011, 04:18 PM

Snuff films don't exist.

No one can really say that. People have actually killed people for real and filmed it, although not really for profit.

But there is always a chance someone has done it with the aim of selling it. Let's hope we never find one though.

GommeInc
10-06-2011, 12:30 AM

Snuff films don't exist.
I'm not sure what your point is? Sex is natural and legal :P Watching a man get off to people dying isn't what makes a film and goes beyond the boundaries of their jurisdiction :P

Misawa
10-06-2011, 03:04 AM
The sandpaper scene that people have heard about and not seen (the biggest flaw in the opinion of anyone who's ever been for film censorship) is perfectly legal behind closed doors.

It's a movie, it's no reality.

Judas
10-06-2011, 10:07 AM
The sandpaper scene that people have heard about and not seen (the biggest flaw in the opinion of anyone who's ever been for film censorship) is perfectly legal behind closed doors.

and you haven't seen it either
i'm sure the BBFC know what crosses their own guidelines

Misawa
10-06-2011, 10:18 AM
The BBFC shouldn't have such guidelines... Censorship is archaic and irrelevant in this day and age. No, I haven't seen it, but I know I'll have seen hundreds of more extreme films.

I saw A Serbian Film uncut (legally, too). It was cut to ribbons by the BBFC and let a shell of its former self on the shelves.

Here's someone else, like me, with a brain http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jun/08/human-centipede-banned

AgnesIO
10-06-2011, 10:50 AM
The BBFC shouldn't have such guidelines... Censorship is archaic and irrelevant in this day and age. No, I haven't seen it, but I know I'll have seen hundreds of more extreme films.

I saw A Serbian Film uncut (legally, too). It was cut to ribbons by the BBFC and let a shell of its former self on the shelves.

Here's someone else, like me, with a brain http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jun/08/human-centipede-banned

Brain? Guardian? Good one ;)

Judas
10-06-2011, 10:58 AM

so i don't have a brain because i have my own opinion? |-)

i've already said i agree with you that it shouldn't be banned. but the fact of the matter is, that there IS guidelines whether you, tom six or anyone likes it or not. so he should have stuck by them if he wanted a UK release. that's a fact.

uklfstyle
10-06-2011, 12:20 PM
i'm sure BBFC did the right thing. It had to be banned:p

but on the other hand i think that you are 18 you can watch anything you want,but in that internet world anyone on every age can get to the materials even they arent 16 or 18,depends

Gibs960
10-06-2011, 12:29 PM
I kinda agree with people when they say if someone wants to watch it then they can, but I suppose if for instance a child got hold of it (quite easy to get hold of movies online) and showed it to friends then you'd get a bunch of ******* messed up kids! The part about ************ with sand paper made me feel sick, ew and ouch! It's also quite easy to sneek into a cinema screen... If they did show it in the UK they'd have to be extra careful to make sure it didn't get in the wrong hands I suppose...

Misawa
10-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Movies don't mess people up.

GommeInc
10-06-2011, 01:24 PM

As far as the description of the film goes, seeing the First one a second time with someone getting off to it is probably not what constitutes a film or one that should be given a certificate. It's like filming someone watching The Rugrats Movie who at the same time is enjoying a tender moment with a chain cutter.

People are also forgetting what the BBFC and what an 18 certificate is. An 18 certificate has its limits - heck, many films with sex scenes are 18 yet the story of the film isn't necessarily bad.

Judas
10-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Movies don't mess people up.

are you sure?

have you heard of james bulger?

Stephen
10-06-2011, 01:57 PM
well to be honest anyone that murders someone because of a film is sick anyway, the film didn't make them sick :P

Misawa
10-06-2011, 02:02 PM
are you sure?

have you heard of james bulger?

That was sensationalisitic reporting. They never had even actually seen Child's Play III.

Those kids were mentally unstable to begin with. Films don't make perfectly healthy people do anything wrong, only those who are already disturbed.

Judas
10-06-2011, 02:10 PM
That was sensationalisitic reporting. They never had even actually seen Child's Play III.

Those kids were mentally unstable to begin with. Films don't make perfectly healthy people do anything wrong, only those who are already disturbed.

okay so what about that gang that kidnapped raped, tortured and murdered a girl while playing her a tape of one of them saying "im chucky wanna play?" over and over again or something like that?

and i agree, but they can still influence people to do things, messed up already or not.

well to be honest anyone that murders someone because of a film is sick anyway, the film didn't make them sick :P

yeah i know. but it can make the sick sicker i suppose

peteyt
10-06-2011, 02:21 PM
This seems to be going back and forward.

The film shouldn't be banned, but I do feel the director is trying to push the boundaries on purpose. As the article says people will get hold of it anyway's so even with a ban its not like anyone's going to see the film.

You may hate illegal downloading but when a film is banned people often turn to it - there's no real other way sometimes.

But no mater if the film is banned or not it doesn't hide the fact it's a stupid mindless horror flick that has no real purpose.

Misawa
10-06-2011, 02:32 PM
If film-makers didn't dare to push boundaries the state of cinema today would be very, very different.

peteyt
10-06-2011, 02:38 PM
If film-makers didn't dare to push boundaries the state of cinema today would be very, very different.

There's a difference between pushing the boundaries and making a ultra violent film with no other content. I'm going to watch the first one soon but I've been told it's just a violent film with bad acting, bad everything else.

I'd like the film more if it had more substance. There's films that people find sick but don't just rely of violence, as in they actually have a story and other stuff going on.

Mark
10-06-2011, 03:26 PM
Gutted haha! Am I the only one who was actually looking forward to a cringe worthy film? There are no decent horrors these days, I thought this might have been a good film.

peteyt
10-06-2011, 04:01 PM
This just seems like every other film to me. Yeah the first had a unique idea but it uses other recent films that have been banned or cut and simply tries to top them

Gibs960
10-06-2011, 04:07 PM
I think for some films there are boundaries for reasons.

dbgtz
10-06-2011, 04:42 PM
Personally seeing violence in films (and games) makes me less likely to be violent. This shouldn't be banned as I also stand for the fact you should be able to do what you want as long as it doesn't affect anyone else.

Judas
10-06-2011, 10:07 PM
This seems to be going back and forward.

The film shouldn't be banned, but I do feel the director is trying to push the boundaries on purpose. As the article says people will get hold of it anyway's so even with a ban its not like anyone's going to see the film.

You may hate illegal downloading but when a film is banned people often turn to it - there's no real other way sometimes.

But no mater if the film is banned or not it doesn't hide the fact it's a stupid mindless horror flick that has no real purpose.

this x100.

luce
11-06-2011, 06:22 PM
thank goodness for that! I have never seen the first one because i don't like scar films but that's sick from what i have heard you don't gain anything from watching it so why watch it. If you find it entertaining and get pleasure from you you're sick and from what i've heard the plot and filming of it what poor anyway.

Misawa
11-06-2011, 08:41 PM
Do be quiet.

Edited by Infectious (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not make pointless and rude posts!

Fez
11-06-2011, 08:44 PM
There's a difference between pushing the boundaries and making a ultra violent film with no other content. I'm going to watch the first one soon but I've been told it's just a violent film with bad acting, bad everything else.

I'd like the film more if it had more substance. There's films that people find sick but don't just rely of violence, as in they actually have a story and other stuff going on.

Some people enjoy cold, hard gore. You wonder why the SAW films are so money-massive? The vast majority of them are vapid, useless objects containing a wide array of just emotionless brutality and sickening gore and tearing men and women limb from limb and yet in 'creative' ways. Some people, my friends especially who think Avatar is the best movie of all time, love it. They hate big story and thinky brainy stuff, they call 'the story' being useless but the style being the way you enjoy it and Tarantino's films themselves have often been accused of being style over substance. They're wrong, obviously, but it doesn't take away from that fact that the vast majority of people who say that also happen to enjoy his films for the stylistic presentation. Personally, I love both style and substance and it's one of the only things Snyder's Watchmen has going for it.

Gore is within the lifeblood of horror, whether we like it or not, sometimes it's the full on style of a film and sometimes it much more subtle or used for actual effect rather than repeating the same set piece over and over. Some people like the latter, I do when it's done rather well, perhaps with some heart added in.

On the subject of banning this film, I could not disagree with the BBFC more. Not just their decision on this film but as an organization. Regulating free speech materials is stupid, stupid, stupid unless it's done in the right name of protecting the little ones. There's an argument in California that because video-games 'corrupt our youth' so much they should be treated like pornography and sold behind the counter like you're meant to feel dirty when asking for them. It's utter, benign nonsense and nothing should stop any adult from consuming any legal free speech (not snuff films obviously, which don't really exist) because of some 'regulation'. Who cares if it gets into the hands of the youth, it's not the filmmaker's or the rating board's fault, it's the parents who let their kids experience ultra-violence. My mum let me play GTA2 when I was four years old and now I'm some bigshot writer, violence in another world has helped me become the person I am today but it's not true for everyone. Parents should know what's right and what's wrong for their kids and blaming the filmmakers/rating board for all of their problems is avoiding the massive issue that bad parenting exists and there's an all time high of teenage pregnancy and kids raising kids.

thank goodness for that! I have never seen the first one because i don't like scar films but that's sick from what i have heard you don't gain anything from watching it so why watch it. If you find it entertaining and get pleasure from you you're sick and from what i've heard the plot and filming of it what poor anyway.

"You're sick"

Some people are interested more in the portrayals of psychology, on how people can degrade into such morbid monsters of society. I find that interesting but I don't think I could stand the presentation. Some people also enjoy the gore of something given it's often a primal enjoyment of seeing things get taken apart, it's a part of who we are and it shouldn't be called 'sick' because we're all generally the same deep down. It's just whoever irons it out or whoever embraces it.

It's a free world and opinions however stupid, idiotic or perceived to be 'sick' as they are should be allowed to happen. It doesn't make them sick to like things that you find sickening, the same way it doesn't make them dumb to like things you don't like for different reasons.

Teabags
11-06-2011, 10:20 PM
I think I just vomited.

This film is gonna be more messed up than the first... I doubt they'll appeal... they'd have to practically reshoot it all ;l
You should read a "Serbian Film" plot. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Serbian_Film#Plot

lawrawrrr
11-06-2011, 10:30 PM
You should read a "Serbian Film" plot. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Serbian_Film#Plot

oh my dear lord that's even worse and just...

how do filmmakers come up with plots like these?!!?!?!?!?

Judas
11-06-2011, 10:44 PM
yes a serbian film is disgusting and sick but at least it actually has a message behind it unlike the human centipede which is just made to gross people out

luce
12-06-2011, 08:55 AM
"You're sick"

Some people are interested more in the portrayals of psychology, on how people can degrade into such morbid monsters of society. I find that interesting but I don't think I could stand the presentation. Some people also enjoy the gore of something given it's often a primal enjoyment of seeing things get taken apart, it's a part of who we are and it shouldn't be called 'sick' because we're all generally the same deep down. It's just whoever irons it out or whoever embraces it.

It's a free world and opinions however stupid, idiotic or perceived to be 'sick' as they are should be allowed to happen. It doesn't make them sick to like things that you find sickening, the same way it doesn't make them dumb to like things you don't like for different reasons.

I'm interested in psychology but I don't see this film as a portrayal of it, like it has to be sensationalized to the point that it is interesting as a film as well. If people wanted to see people degrading into monsters read the Zimbardo prison study as it's a more valid representation while still being quite graphic.

Also to the person who said you don't get pleasure from watching Winnie the Pooh when the -repped me i could argue that they do because yes while you said "it's a talking ******* bear" it is but it is also aimed at people who are about 2-4 who find they pleasurable and it teaches them the morals of life from a simple view. This film is aimed at adults 18+ i should say is the rating and therefore more sophisticated people and it doesn't offer anything. While you may not agree with it there is no need to send me messages like your life depended on me agreeing with the film.

And the Serbian film i heard about that in economics couple of the guys have watched it - that seems even worse than this!

peteyt
12-06-2011, 11:25 AM
Some people enjoy cold, hard gore. You wonder why the SAW films are so money-massive? The vast majority of them are vapid, useless objects containing a wide array of just emotionless brutality and sickening gore and tearing men and women limb from limb and yet in 'creative' ways. Some people, my friends especially who think Avatar is the best movie of all time, love it. They hate big story and thinky brainy stuff, they call 'the story' being useless but the style being the way you enjoy it and Tarantino's films themselves have often been accused of being style over substance. They're wrong, obviously, but it doesn't take away from that fact that the vast majority of people who say that also happen to enjoy his films for the stylistic presentation. Personally, I love both style and substance and it's one of the only things Snyder's Watchmen has going for it.

Gore is within the lifeblood of horror, whether we like it or not, sometimes it's the full on style of a film and sometimes it much more subtle or used for actual effect rather than repeating the same set piece over and over. Some people like the latter, I do when it's done rather well, perhaps with some heart added in.

On the subject of banning this film, I could not disagree with the BBFC more. Not just their decision on this film but as an organization. Regulating free speech materials is stupid, stupid, stupid unless it's done in the right name of protecting the little ones. There's an argument in California that because video-games 'corrupt our youth' so much they should be treated like pornography and sold behind the counter like you're meant to feel dirty when asking for them. It's utter, benign nonsense and nothing should stop any adult from consuming any legal free speech (not snuff films obviously, which don't really exist) because of some 'regulation'. Who cares if it gets into the hands of the youth, it's not the filmmaker's or the rating board's fault, it's the parents who let their kids experience ultra-violence. My mum let me play GTA2 when I was four years old and now I'm some bigshot writer, violence in another world has helped me become the person I am today but it's not true for everyone. Parents should know what's right and what's wrong for their kids and blaming the filmmakers/rating board for all of their problems is avoiding the massive issue that bad parenting exists and there's an all time high of teenage pregnancy and kids raising kids.

"You're sick"

I partly agree with you but the problem is even Saw has some substance especially the first when we are trying to put the pieces together. It goes over the top later on and I haven't seen the last 2 films, but it has something else other than the killing even when the killing is the main thing.

My problem is exactly that, it seems that this film doesn't have anything but the violence. The problem is I have nothing against the violence but don't think it sells for me on its own, it needs something else happening in the background.

The best way to look at it is to take a good horror film that has some gore in it. Take all the other stuff out and leave the gore in. The gore might look good but could it actually stand on its own without the background stuff?

Fez
12-06-2011, 12:16 PM
I partly agree with you but the problem is even Saw has some substance especially the first when we are trying to put the pieces together. It goes over the top later on and I haven't seen the last 2 films, but it has something else other than the killing even when the killing is the main thing.

My problem is exactly that, it seems that this film doesn't have anything but the violence. The problem is I have nothing against the violence but don't think it sells for me on its own, it needs something else happening in the background.

The best way to look at it is to take a good horror film that has some gore in it. Take all the other stuff out and leave the gore in. The gore might look good but could it actually stand on its own without the background stuff?

The first SAW had an actual proper story to it, the second one sort of stuttered and then the sixth somehow jumped up into the same territory. The rest of the films are gore over any actual background to the gore, reasons and characters we care about, and the box office numbers tells us that people like this sort of thing. I don't, unless it's done really well and I've never seen that from a SAW film without story, but I have seen many ye olde monster movies such as The Blob which (in terms of the acting and characters) were horrible but the gore and general killings were very deliciously creative. It kept me watching to see what the filmmakers would do next and that's what I think hooks some people into the violence without meaning stuff.

peteyt
12-06-2011, 06:19 PM
The first SAW had an actual proper story to it, the second one sort of stuttered and then the sixth somehow jumped up into the same territory. The rest of the films are gore over any actual background to the gore, reasons and characters we care about, and the box office numbers tells us that people like this sort of thing. I don't, unless it's done really well and I've never seen that from a SAW film without story, but I have seen many ye olde monster movies such as The Blob which (in terms of the acting and characters) were horrible but the gore and general killings were very deliciously creative. It kept me watching to see what the filmmakers would do next and that's what I think hooks some people into the violence without meaning stuff.

Yeah there are films that are bad. But I think they would be even worse if they didn't have the bad stuff and just had the violence.

To me this film is simply a man tortures people. While as it would be more interesting if there was a better plot. Maybe someone trying to track down one of the kidnapped people just to make it something more than just violence.

Misawa
13-06-2011, 11:37 AM
I just received this and it's gospel:

Press Release on behalf of Eureka Entertainment/ Bounty Films – The Human Centipede II (Full Sequence)

Within the last week, the BBFC (British Board of Film Classification) announced that it had rejected and was unable to classify for release on DVD, The Human Centipede II (Full Sequence).

Bounty Films, and its UK distribution partner Eureka Entertainment Ltd., are disappointed by the decision of the BBFC to deny the film a classification certificate. While both companies respect the authority of the board, we strongly disagree with their decision.

In support of their decision, the BBFC issued a press release that gave an unprecedented level of detail regarding certain scenes contained within the film. Whilst it appears customary for the BBFC to issue press releases in support of its decision making, the level of detail provided therein does seem inconsistent with previous releases where the statements have been more concise. We are concerned this may be prejudicial to our forthcoming appeal.

The Human Centipede II (Full Sequence) is adult entertainment for fans of horror films. If a film of this nature does not seek to push boundaries, to challenge people and their value systems or to shock, then it is not horror. The subject matter of this film is in line with not only the genre, but other challenging entertainment choices for adult consumers.

We respect those who have different opinions about both the film and the genre, and whose opinions may differ to our own, but we hope that the opinions of the adults for whom this product is intended will also be considered. The adult consumers who would watch this film fully understand that it is fictional entertainment and nothing more.

Classifying and rating product allows the public to make an informed choice about the art and media they wish to consume. Censoring or preventing the public from obtaining material that has not been proven to be harmful or obscene, is indefensible in principle and is often counterproductive in practice. Through their chosen course of action, the BBFC have ensured that the awareness of this film is now greater than it would otherwise have been.

Having taken advice on these matters, and in accordance with BBFC guidelines, we will be submitting our appeal to the Video Appeals Committee in due course.

DPS
13-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Oh well piratebay is there for a reason lol.

Fez
13-06-2011, 03:54 PM
I agree with piracy when it's completely inaccessible to purchase, but even then perhaps donate or even it out by buying some of the maker's work.

Judas
13-06-2011, 06:49 PM
The Human Centipede II (Full Sequence) is adult entertainment for fans of horror films. If a film of this nature does not seek to push boundaries, to challenge people and their value systems or to shock, then it is not horror. The subject matter of this film is in line with not only the genre, but other challenging entertainment choices for adult consumers.

agree with it all but that bit

Misawa
13-06-2011, 07:12 PM
What is wrong with that?

- The film was made for horror fans
- It's very much a horror film
- There truly are more "extreme" films on the market that have received BBFC classification

Judas
13-06-2011, 08:58 PM
What is wrong with that?

- The film was made for horror fans
- It's very much a horror film
- There truly are more "extreme" films on the market that have received BBFC classification

yeah i only meant this part

"If a film of this nature does not seek to push boundaries, to challenge people and their value systems or to shock, then it is not horror."

couldn't be bothered to cut up the whole paragraph, should've bolded it, my bad

peteyt
13-06-2011, 09:12 PM
yeah i only meant this part

"If a film of this nature does not seek to push boundaries, to challenge people and their value systems or to shock, then it is not horror."

couldn't be bothered to cut up the whole paragraph, should've bolded it, my bad

I agree. Some horror is successful but isn't anything new. A good horror film is, well that's the problem, it's all down to personal taste. It sound's like they have decided what horror is, and if it doesn't try to bush boundaries it isn't horror.

Teabags
14-06-2011, 04:45 PM
oh my dear lord that's even worse and just...

how do filmmakers come up with plots like these?!!?!?!?!?

I wonder what the ideas room looks like. Be like - Right guys, just gonna throw this out there but..

"hey that could work"

lawrawrrr
14-06-2011, 04:48 PM
I wonder what the ideas room looks like. Be like - Right guys, just gonna throw this out there but..

"hey that could work"

Don't they say that to come up with disturbed ideas you have to be disturbed a bit yourself? DO you think that any of the writers/producers have had something like these fantasies before??

Also if anyone knows of any more gruesome horror films, I love reading freaky plot synopses. ;)

Richie
14-06-2011, 05:00 PM
This film is epic, sure it's sick but anything that is a challenge to watch without getting sick or being scared is entertaining.

Misawa
14-06-2011, 06:36 PM
There are no "ideas rooms", just Tom Six and his computer/notebook.

I could think up this stuff. I in fact wrote a short film for a company who wanted a balls out gore movie and it was an interesting process. It's fun having an imagination. People should try it some time.

Judas
14-06-2011, 10:44 PM
you don't need to be condescending, i have a perfectly vivid imagination thanks |-)

but as none of us are multi-millionaire hollywood screenwriters such as yourself that have such little time to spend on hxforum we haven't been in the position where we have to come up with things like this, sorry :/

peteyt
14-06-2011, 11:12 PM
There are no "ideas rooms", just Tom Six and his computer/notebook.

I could think up this stuff. I in fact wrote a short film for a company who wanted a balls out gore movie and it was an interesting process. It's fun having an imagination. People should try it some time.

But surely anyone can come up with the idea of this film. How many mad scientists, torture films and so on has there been.

wiffee1000
11-07-2011, 05:52 PM
Why was it banned someone tell me?

Shouldnt have anyway.

ifuseekamy
12-07-2011, 03:36 AM
Look at the reaction to the Exorcist 40 years ago compared to now. Give it a few decades and people will wonder why people found people crapping in each other's mouths so horrific and be laughing at it.

DPS
12-07-2011, 05:37 PM
the Exorcist is crap lol ^^ wasnt even a good film funny if anything.

Misawa
12-07-2011, 06:20 PM
One of the best horror films of all time. It makes your beloved Harry Potter look like My Little Pony.

ifuseekamy
12-07-2011, 06:47 PM
Indeed, the Exorcist was revolutionary and set a whole new benchmark not only for the horror genre but cinema in general due to the quality of production and direction as well as creative effects. The Human Centipede doesn't exactly have "future classic" written all over it.

Misawa
12-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Cult classic.

peteyt
13-07-2011, 03:30 PM
The exorcist had a decent plot. I don't see the point in this film.

My problem with horror today is simply this:

Violence used to be used for a means to tell a story, to progress it. Now it seems the opposite and the story, if any, is simply there to show the violence.

Skittle
13-07-2011, 03:32 PM
I dont really like the 'Human Centipede' It is not really a good horror film.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!