PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas wth is going on?

Nemo
06-06-2011, 10:26 PM
Past few days now, once a day (well twice today), my computer has been crashing, and then keeps on crashing every time i start it up for like 10-15 minutes. Its REALLY annoying. i set my pc to default settings (not a system restore or a factory setting reset, just the bios) and that screwed up a few things but i restarted it and everything seems normal again.

Oh also when it crashes, it makes a really strange like bepbepbepbepbep noise in my headset. Computer does make any strange noises. Any ideas what this could be?

Nemo
06-06-2011, 11:52 PM
Im thinking it could be outdated drivers now actually. Not really knowledgable on drivers, but could outdated drivers cause stuff like this? Ive also noticed its only when im doing stuff full screen

David
07-06-2011, 12:20 AM
Whats your OS?
When's the last time you formatted?
Have any Anti-Virus?
Any dodgy downloads?

Try System Restore (That's not formatting, but booting from last backup, like last updates.
And if the noise is bugging you, you could try disabling that particular sound through Control Panel > Sound > Sounds Tab.

If it's full screen games that causes it, try updating your flash plugins, or even re-installing.

Also when it crashes & does the beep beep noise, does it show any on-screen errors? Blue screen for example.

Nemo
07-06-2011, 05:39 AM
Whats your OS?
When's the last time you formatted?
Have any Anti-Virus?
Any dodgy downloads?

Try System Restore (That's not formatting, but booting from last backup, like last updates.
And if the noise is bugging you, you could try disabling that particular sound through Control Panel > Sound > Sounds Tab.

If it's full screen games that causes it, try updating your flash plugins, or even re-installing.

Also when it crashes & does the beep beep noise, does it show any on-screen errors? Blue screen for example.
Vista
Never i believe
Yep, security essentials and malwarebytes, run a scan every other day. No viruses
And nothing dodgy dodgy, just like torrents from demonoid.

Completely forgot about system restore, i'll give that a go.

And nope no on-screeen errors, just nothing moves whatsoever.

Recursion
07-06-2011, 07:49 AM
Backup, format, reinstall.

RockyHorror
07-06-2011, 09:58 AM
Describe the beeping sound for me, as in how many beep's, in what intervals..etc

If you have out of date drivers, then update them, if there is no reason not to keep them up to date. Also if there are any windows updates that want to install but you are stopping, then allow them to update.

Nemo
07-06-2011, 10:02 AM
Backup, format, reinstall.I think i'll leave that as a last resort i suppose

Describe the beeping sound for me, as in how many beep's, in what intervals..etc

If you have out of date drivers, then update them, if there is no reason not to keep them up to date. Also if there are any windows updates that want to install but you are stopping, then allow them to update.
its like bepbepbpepbepbepbepbep just constnatly, no breaks.

yeah i know, i didnt even realise i had out of date drivers. I did a system restore to like 2 weeks ago when everything was fine and everything seemst o be normal, but havent tried a full screen game yet, but all the times and stuff are back to normal. I'll update my drivers, if that doesnt work, reinstall flash, if that doesnt work. Then i suppose i'll just format

ty for help all

RockyHorror
07-06-2011, 10:28 AM
Well if it's a constant beeping then it sounds more like a hardware problem, more than likely either mobo or RAM, so therefore reformatting will only be a temporary solution.

If it starts happening again, I would advise using a registry cleaner as your registry might be corrupt.

Nemo
07-06-2011, 10:39 AM
Well if it's a constant beeping then it sounds more like a hardware problem, more than likely either mobo or RAM, so therefore reformatting will only be a temporary solution.

If it starts happening again, I would advise using a registry cleaner as your registry might be corrupt.It was only a constant beeping when it had actually frozen. For example right now i dont hear anything at all, as soon as i turned it off and on again after it freezing it would stop the beeping.

and okay thanks

Catzsy
07-06-2011, 10:53 AM
It was only a constant beeping when it had actually frozen. For example right now i dont hear anything at all, as soon as i turned it off and on again after it freezing it would stop the beeping.

and okay thanks

Not that I am amazingly technical but it sounds like the hard disc failing to me so I would back up anything you need from it in case it goes completely. Luckily new hard drives do not cost a fortune these days.

Nemo
07-06-2011, 11:12 AM
Not that I am amazingly technical but it sounds like the hard disc failing to me so I would back up anything you need from it in case it goes completely. Luckily new hard drives do not cost a fortune these days.
got nothin important on this computer anyway, its only my computer and i dont have any coursework or anything

Catzsy
07-06-2011, 11:45 AM
got nothin important on this computer anyway, its only my computer and i dont have any coursework or anything

Well that's good news . :)

David
07-06-2011, 11:54 AM
Generally all computers should get regularly formatted, to keep the hard disk running smoothly.
When dealing with torrents you should always check a few comments on each page to make sure it's legit.

How did System Restore go, any luck?

If the beeping comes from the speakers/headphones and not the computer itself then it's not a hardware problem.
Check your processes in Task Manager & see what's going on, could be too many RAM being used causing it to freeze but that's unlikely. Also check for any unwanted programs running. ( Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc )

Try using sfc /scannow. this is done through the Command Prompt (Start menu > Run > cmd)
This scan repairs any corrupt operating system files, and usually takes 5-10 minutes.
If you've patched any files, like using VistaGlazz, You'll need to re-patch.
(There's a space between sfc and /scannow)

Nemo
07-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Generally all computers should get regularly formatted, to keep the hard disk running smoothly.
When dealing with torrents you should always check a few comments on each page to make sure it's legit.

How did System Restore go, any luck?

If the beeping comes from the speakers/headphones and not the computer itself then it's not a hardware problem.
Check your processes in Task Manager & see what's going on, could be too many RAM being used causing it to freeze but that's unlikely. Also check for any unwanted programs running. ( Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc )

Try using sfc /scannow. this is done through the Command Prompt (Start menu > Run > cmd)
This scan repairs any corrupt operating system files, and usually takes 5-10 minutes.
If you've patched any files, like using VistaGlazz, You'll need to re-patch.
(There's a space between sfc and /scannow)
Yeah im no fool with torrents haha. Generally demonoid is pretty safe but i check anyway. Usually the unlegit ones have an awful amount of seeders anyway.

And the system restore seems to have done it, ive only played one game of starcraft but yesterday it crashed after like 2 minutes so, so far so good. If it doesnt crash at all today then i'd consider it a success.
And i always have gamebooster running so it shouldn't be a ram issue, not to mention ive been playing sc2 since january and never had any issues. But atleast i know it isnt a hardware problem.

And shall do that also. Thanks for all the help :)

David
07-06-2011, 12:26 PM
No problem let us know how it goes.

Nemo
07-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Okay just happened again. This time it was a bit different. There wasnt any noise in my headset, i just left the game i was in to go back to the main menu, and my computer basically just went to a black screen and then i guess, restarted itself. Then after like 5 seconds after restarting itself, it froze. No noise though. I tried doing that scannow, but it said "You must be an administrator running a console session in order to use the sfc utility." Im the only account on this besides the guest account :P

If only i knew where my vista disc was...

Nemo
07-06-2011, 01:49 PM
Oh i was being stupid with scannow thing, okay thats doing that now

David
07-06-2011, 01:55 PM
Is User Account Control enabled? if yes, disable it and try again,
If no luck, try it in Safe Mode

Open Control Panel.
Under User Account and Family settings click on the "User Accounts".
Click on "Turn User Account Control on or off."
In the "Turn on User Account Control (UAC) to make your computer more secure" click to unselect the "Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer". Click on the Ok button.
You will be prompted to reboot your computer. Do so when ready.

Click on the Start Menu
Go to "Run..."
Type in "msconfig"
Once loaded, Go to the "Boot" Tab
Click to select "Safe Boot"
Apply And click OK
Reebot.
To Disable, repeat steps.

---------- Post added 07-06-2011 at 02:56 PM ----------

Awww, you replied when I was posting :P

Nemo
07-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Is User Account Control enabled? if yes, disable it and try again,
If no luck, try it in Safe Mode

---------- Post added 07-06-2011 at 02:56 PM ----------

Awww, you replied when I was posting :P
haha :p Yeah it showed nothing was wrong there... Trying to look for my vista disc so i can just do a full reinstall, but cant seem to find it. Any other ideas? :p

David
07-06-2011, 02:07 PM
haha :p Yeah it showed nothing was wrong there... Trying to look for my vista disc so i can just do a full reinstall, but cant seem to find it. Any other ideas? :p

Off the top of my head, you could do a boot scan?

RockyHorror
07-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Seeing as you use torrents currently, you could just burn a version of vista or even windows 7 to disc.

David
07-06-2011, 02:10 PM
yeah hes right, never thought of that :P

Nemo
07-06-2011, 02:14 PM
Seeing as you use torrents currently, you could just burn a version of vista or even windows 7 to disc.
Dont have any rewritable dvds

RockyHorror
07-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Dont have any rewritable dvds

Boot it from a USB or external hard drive?

David
07-06-2011, 02:20 PM
I hear it's possible to use a USB stick ..

---------- Post added 07-06-2011 at 03:20 PM ----------

damn you beating me :( :P But you could also use a virtual drive (daemon tools)

Nemo
07-06-2011, 02:21 PM
Boot it from a USB or external hard drive?

I hear it's possible to use a USB stick ..

---------- Post added 07-06-2011 at 03:20 PM ----------

damn you beating me :(
Oh excellent, i do have an external harddrive so i'll give it a go i suppose. Here's hoping i don't **** it :P

Thanks both of you :D

David
07-06-2011, 02:23 PM
If your downloading an install disc remember and write down the serial code for install

Nemo
07-06-2011, 02:24 PM
If your downloading an install disc remember and write down the serial code for install
torrent i've found apparently doesnt need one
Just scared of it not working and then me having no pc hmm

David
07-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Am i allowed to post torrent links?

Jack!
07-06-2011, 08:06 PM

Nope :/

I run windows 7 from an USB each month, found a good auto install program, takes 10mins, works on 7, should work on VISTA. There is an official Microsoft program to make it boot from USB for you.

Maybe get a live version or Ubuntu, just in case it goes **** up?

triston220
07-06-2011, 08:36 PM
Backup, format, reinstall.

It seems like a hardware error to me.

Chippiewill
07-06-2011, 08:40 PM
Technically if it's a torrent that's not distributing the file illegally it's ok, I can't remember Microsoft's policy about redistribution though.

Also you can mount the disc iso and do an in-place install from within the current installation, it'll then save the install files to the hard-drive so you don't need a disc / USB to install. If I remember correctly that is.

David
07-06-2011, 08:42 PM
Technically if it's a torrent that's not distributing the file illegally it's ok, I can't remember Microsoft's policy about redistribution though.

Also you can mount the disc and do an in-place install from within the current installation, it'll then save the install files to the hard-drive so you don't need a disc / USB to install. If I remember correctly that is.

Nope :/

I run windows 7 from an USB each month, found a good auto install program, takes 10mins, works on 7, should work on VISTA. There is an official Microsoft program to make it boot from USB for you.

Maybe get a live version or Ubuntu, just in case it goes **** up?

Yeah I read the rules, I can't promote illegal downloads :P

Recursion
07-06-2011, 08:46 PM
Extract the ISO contents into a folder like c:\WinISO and make sure the external HDD or USB drive is plugged in (and formatted to NTFS), open an Administrator command prompt and do:

cd c:\WinISO\boot
bootsect.exe /NT60 G:

(where G: is your external drive letter), this will write bootable code to the drive and you should get something like this:

D:\ISOs\SW_DVD5_Win_Pro_7w_SP1_64BIT_English_MLF_X 17-28603\boot>bootsect.exe /NT60 G:
Target volumes will be updated with BOOTMGR compatible bootcode.

G: (\\?\Volume{79e4ea0a-7e44-11e0-9051-806e6f6e6963})

Successfully updated NTFS filesystem bootcode.

Bootcode was successfully updated on all targeted volumes.

D:\ISOs\SW_DVD5_Win_Pro_7w_SP1_64BIT_English_MLF_X 17-28603\boot>

Then you just need to copy all the files from the ISO to the USB drive, I have to do this all the time so I know it works perfectly if your computer can boot from USB.

Nemo
07-06-2011, 09:13 PM
It's cool guys, figured it out. **** was overheating.

Thanks all anyway :D

David
07-06-2011, 09:28 PM
lol, all that and it was just an overheat :P not one of us suggested that.
& thanks for the rep, well appreciated ;)!

RockyHorror
07-06-2011, 09:34 PM
It's cool guys, figured it out. **** was overheating.

Thanks all anyway :D

I thought you had discounted that already, I was going to point you in the direction of speedfan, but i deleted it from my post.

Glad you got it sorted, now you can make sure you keep up to date with all the hxf happenings, your life is complete again! haha.

Nemo
07-06-2011, 11:03 PM
I thought you had discounted that already, I was going to point you in the direction of speedfan, but i deleted it from my post.

Glad you got it sorted, now you can make sure you keep up to date with all the hxf happenings, your life is complete again! haha.
Mmh i sort of had since ive had this for a couple of years and never had any issues. Not to mention i cleaned out the dust recently.

Waheyyyyy. Except i still need to clean it more/do stuff to it since it still overheated on me after like 6 or 7 games D: annoying that its doing it at all.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!