PDA

View Full Version : Wii U

Mr-Trainor
07-06-2011, 05:27 PM
The Wii U is Nintendo's new console which has just been announced at e3 and will be launched sometime between April and December 2012. If you haven't yet seen it, check out these two articles:
- http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/07/the-wiiu-nintendos-next-console/
- http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/jun/07/wii-u-nintendo-games-console

What are your initial thoughts on the Wii U :)?

Thread moved by Oleh (Trialist Forum Moderator): from "Technology", as I feel it is more suited here.

Paracme
07-06-2011, 05:40 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2011/06/wiiu599pxbodyimg12512512.jpg

Darksiders 2
Batman: Arkham City
"Tekken"
Assassin's Creed
Lego City Stories
Ghost Recon Online
DiRT
Aliens: Colonial Marines
Metro: Last Light
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razer's Edge

I'm expecting great things!

Eoin247
07-06-2011, 05:44 PM
Dammit Luke wrong forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But yeah it's certainly better than i expected :)

Hayleigh
07-06-2011, 05:48 PM
It Looks amazing definitely will look into buying one next year. One problem though. How expensive are those controllers going to be? :P.

Neversoft
07-06-2011, 05:52 PM
Seems very impressive, but personally I don't care much for the controller. I don't want all this touch screen nonsense... just give me a good old joypad and a new Zelda game and I'll buy it. Speaking of which... I wonder how much it's going to cost.

Ah, guess I should actually finish reading the article before I reply. I always do this! Great news that it's going to be compatible with all current-gen accessories and software. I hope that's true for every game, though (which it probably isn't). It's disappointing that in most Wii games you have to use the remote even though the console does have a normal controller as well.

iBlueBox
07-06-2011, 08:49 PM
what is it :S just an nintendo wii, but the control has a touch screen?

Eoin247
13-06-2011, 08:51 PM

Much more powerfull too. Better graphics, maybe bigger games etc.

dbgtz
13-06-2011, 08:58 PM

They literally only showed off the controller but it does have new hardware aswell, which is basically on par with 360/PS3 (I think it might be a little more powerful, not sure).

Oleh
13-06-2011, 11:30 PM
Basically nintendo have ran out of names.. Gamecube, DS Light, DSi XL, Wii U. Some creativity there :|

JerseySafety
14-06-2011, 01:16 AM
It looks quite good actually, might have to think about getting it ;)

Neversoft
14-06-2011, 01:58 AM
Basically nintendo have ran out of names.. Gamecube, DS Light, DSi XL, Wii U. Some creativity there :|

Hell, they're a step ahead of both Sony and Microsoft as far as naming consoles goes... PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP... Xbox, Xbox 360... very creative.

GommeInc
17-06-2011, 12:21 AM
The name is a bit odd but the console does look impressive. I'll probably be getting it. The controller isn't really a big thing for me, especially when current gen equipment is compatible with it :D

peteyt
23-06-2011, 08:44 PM
I think Nintendo has made a massive error by not including DVD/Blu-Ray playback.

I currently have a Wii, I've had it for a few years and it rarely gets used, sometimes only for BBC iPlayer. This is probably mainly due to the fact it feels more like a party console.

However, the one good thing about consoles such as the PS3 is they offer so much more. I'd use my Wii daily if it could play blu-ray and had a better browser/better online feature - the iPlayer service is good but you can't get ITV Player or 4oD.

Some people are stating this is good because it will mean its cheaper and most people have these devices e.g. blu-ray player. However I disagree and have read on some other sites people feel the same. In today's age I'd rather have one device that can do it all or most of it, than lots of devices jotted around the place taking up space.

I might have upgraded to the new Wii but I doubt I will now. I want a media console for more than just gaming really.

Nemo
23-06-2011, 08:48 PM
I think Nintendo has made a massive error by not including DVD/Blu-Ray playback.

I currently have a Wii, I've had it for a few years and it rarely gets used, sometimes only for BBC iPlayer. This is probably mainly due to the fact it feels more like a party console.

However, the one good thing about consoles such as the PS3 is they offer so much more. I'd use my Wii daily if it could play blu-ray and had a better browser/better online feature - the iPlayer service is good but you can't get ITV Player or 4oD.

Some people are stating this is good because it will mean its cheaper and most people have these devices e.g. blu-ray player. However I disagree and have read on some other sites people feel the same. In today's age I'd rather have one device that can do it all or most of it, than lots of devices jotted around the place taking up space.

I might have upgraded to the new Wii but I doubt I will now. I want a media console for more than just gaming really.
You basically just described a PC. Why would you browse the internet on a wii when you have a computer? No keyboard, just much more clunky. You can also watch dvds and iplayer on your PC and hook it up to your TV if you really want. confused.

peteyt
23-06-2011, 09:04 PM
You basically just described a PC. Why would you browse the internet on a wii when you have a computer? No keyboard, just much more clunky. You can also watch dvds and iplayer on your PC and hook it up to your TV if you really want. confused.

No I didn't describe a PC I described a media console. If you look at a PS3 and an xbox they aren't just gaming consoles. I know a lot of people who use their PS3's mostly for watching stuff like iPlayer and so on on their TV - It might be bigger than their PC and easier to watch. Then if you haven't got a Blu-Ray player and fancy a console why not get the two combined.

I think it's the future. BBC and other companies where and possibly still are working on project Canvas a TV with internet streaming built in - because people don't want separate things today. They want to be able to do everything from one screen. I do have a PC but I'd rather lie on my bed and watch stuff on my TV - better screen and more comfortable.

One thing I've heard from non Wii users is there wasn't anything for the average gamers, and also there wasn't anything extra. It should try and compete with the PS3 and xbox.

GommeInc
24-06-2011, 01:36 AM
Nintendo wouldn't add a Bluray Player to their devices unless they really like the idea of forming a deal with Sony, seeing as they own the technology and get a percentage of the devices sold :P I think they get like £10 for every Samsung Bluray Player. I could of made all this up but I am fairly certain money goes towards Sony for any bluray player created and/or sold. I wouldn't mind if the Wii could play DVDs, music and pictures, or pick up media from media servers like the PS3 does, but we will have to see. It does need to step up to the competition, who are now media devices more than game consoles.

simplymagic
24-06-2011, 10:47 AM
Hate that they still kept the wii name. It is so childish now -.- Looks quite good, ill probz get it but there is no game they have revealed that i want, the zelda shown was just a demo to show how powerful it is.

peteyt
24-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Nintendo wouldn't add a Bluray Player to their devices unless they really like the idea of forming a deal with Sony, seeing as they own the technology and get a percentage of the devices sold :P I think they get like £10 for every Samsung Bluray Player. I could of made all this up but I am fairly certain money goes towards Sony for any bluray player created and/or sold. I wouldn't mind if the Wii could play DVDs, music and pictures, or pick up media from media servers like the PS3 does, but we will have to see. It does need to step up to the competition, who are now media devices more than game consoles.

According to the net blu-ray was created by Blu-ray Disc Association, a kind of group of companies including sony, apple and many others. According to one forum Sony owns the logo, other people own different parts. http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-technology-news/3654-who-owns.html

I think Nintendo just want to save money and cut a few corners. The problem is they will get a load of casual gamers, but the actual full on gamers probably won't touch it due to lack of extra features.

,elaboratedolls
24-06-2011, 05:57 PM
Sounds interesting, but I'll probably pass. There's so much touch screen now that I've actually gotten sick of it.

This should sum it up: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/06/hands-on-with-the-wii-u-its-here-its-amazing-its-smart.ars

Cronger
27-06-2011, 11:21 AM
[QUOTE=peteyt;7169667]I think Nintendo has made a massive error by not including DVD/Blu-Ray playback.

I agree, they should be adding more features because other consoles will just beat it

peteyt
28-06-2011, 02:17 PM
[QUOTE=peteyt;7169667]I think Nintendo has made a massive error by not including DVD/Blu-Ray playback.

I agree, they should be adding more features because other consoles will just beat it

Exactly. The only reason I bought a Wii is because the gameplay was a bit different. But to me it was like a fad, and after a while I got sick of it. The new Wii is just the same, bar a touch screen console.

Nintendo needs to do some market research really.

GoldenMerc
04-08-2011, 11:20 PM
So how much are controllers going to cost each? £100+

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!