PDA

View Full Version : Should we worry about the future of robotics? [ENDS: 29/06/11]

Eoin247
08-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Should we worry about the future of robotics?

http://fastcache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2007/04/genex-1.jpg

Recently in Shanghai, scientists attending a high-level conference on robotics agreed that great progress has been made in the field. However they also said that strict rules for the safe usage of robots should be implemented.

These scientists said that in the future, it might not be possible for artificial intelligence to take the place of humans in some social roles. However, they also said that mankind should pay close attention to the possible dangers of advancements in robotics, as the industry is currently undergoing dramatic changes.

We've all heard about the science fiction rules of robotics (Never harm a human etc.). Even now some countries like South Korea have alread introduced rules for robotics and scientists are encouraging more governments to do the same.

The main concern (Apart from AI) is of course jobs. What will humans do to earn money when robots do all of the middle-lower class jobs such as teaching, building, cleaning etc.

Here are some pros and cons of robotics:

Pros:

Robots can make industry faster and more efficient for products and services. They also don't make as many errors as humans.

You don't have to pay salaries to robots.

Can potentially improve our quality of life.

Cons:

For every robot employed, many human jobs are lost. Every day, robots are able to do more and more jobs that used to only be doable by humans.

Me may end up relying too much on robotics. What happends if something fundamental breaks down.

Could they potentially get too intelligent for our own good (AI)?

So what do you think? Do we have anything to worry about the future of robotics? Also what exactly is in store for us with regards to robotics in the future? Does robotics in the future

Debate!

This debate will end on the 22/06/11. After this the thread will be closed and a top contributer will be chosen and awarded with a month of VIP in a colour of their choice.

Andii
08-06-2011, 09:05 PM
i think we really should be. Robots are taking away the simple jobs. yea they may be faster but still it means there is less n less jobs available :( :( if robots get any more complex then i think that the end of the job industry will be hit big time as many of the big companies may expand with using them.

NEXT THING YE NO MCDONALDS WILL HAVE THEM :O :O :O food poision here we come

Mathew
08-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Of course we shouldn't. Nothing will ever beat the human mind because nothing will ever be able to think for itself. The human mind is unique with a intricate, special system. I think we should be encouraging robotics to make our lives easier, but there will never be a point where they take over. If they take over our world, then humans can quite easily destroy them.. :P

Mr-Trainor
08-06-2011, 09:54 PM
Worrying about the future of robotics is certainly an interesting topic. There are reasons why many people may worry about them in terms of taking away human jobs and it is true to an extent but there are many jobs which I doubt robots will ever take over any time soon. For example, I don't think you'd begin to be served by robots in mcdonalds, as Andy suggested :P.

As Matt mentioned, robots can not think for themselves and can not beat the human mind; they do not have a human brain. Robots may be able to take over jobs, but I don't think they'll ever take over humans! Particularly if the government introduces rules for robots.

GommeInc
08-06-2011, 10:20 PM
Robots cannot work in a capitalist world, they take the space of people and those people need something to do to keep themselves occupied. If money wasn't as important as it is, robots could take over quite happily. Also, don't robots need to be programmed to harm humans if that ever happened? Having robots that have the ability to kill is a bad idea.

Warbringer
08-06-2011, 11:10 PM
I understand where people come from when they state that 'It could take human jobs'. As mentioned in above posts, they do not have the human mind, they can not make decisions and think for theirselves. We are much more clever than robots as we can make decisions and think things through before taking action.

GirlNextDoor15
09-06-2011, 03:29 AM
From what I see, we should be worried about the future of robotics. This is an era of globalization which people in this world competes and wants to improve themselves. However, I think they are taking it to a very over-the-top level by judging on the future of robotics. First, if robots begin to take over human jobs, we might lose our jobs and this will make us harder to find jobs as job opportunities are less. Second, they cannot think for they don't have a brain like ours. However, humans programmed them to do things or whatever they want. Robots might not be like those in Terminator series but humans can program them to do things that they want. The next thing you might see is some politicians or leaders killed by robots. It's not impossible, right? Third, we must worry about the future of robotics because for your information, Japan has already planned medical robots performing low-invasive surgery. From that, you can imagine how developed robots can be although Japan doesn't have any medical robots YET. If it's in their plans, then it's not impossible for Japan to achieve it. At some point, even doctors or surgeons cannot find jobs since we have medical robots. Can you imagine how hard can life be at that time? However smart or hardworking we are, we still can't deny the fact that robots can do things beyond our imagination because it's humans who programmed them.

-Danube-
09-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Working in retail myself, i can say that we SHOULD worry about robotics in the future. I mean it's already happening, computers are basically robots. The biggest threat to people working in retail is self service tills, it'll get to a point where there will only be self service tills in a super market. Which will be a huge loss of jobs as there is a large percentage of the country working in supermarkets, food outlets or retail. I feel so strongly about it, that i do not use self service tills for that reason. I'd rather go to a manned till and allow someone to keep their job.

Robots on the other hand, maybe good for artificial limbs and maybe even in the future, artificial organs. The only plus side i can see with robots is simply medical. Maybe they could develop nano robots that surgeons could control within the body, the patient could swallow these 'Nanobots' in a pill and then the surgeon can navigate around the body to the site where they need to operate. They would greatly decrease the amount of infection when undergoing surgery. I mean yes they have key hole surgery now, but thats still making an cut in your body, which means it can be infected.

Andii
09-06-2011, 12:01 PM
Tbh people who say robots don't have a human mind. With the way modern technology is working you never know what they might have. They could be much smarter than the human mind and also gain intelligence from us its something we really should think about. Since we may be alive (if 2012 dnt happen lol) when it all takes place.

Robots also can be used to cause wars since they are now being used in them. Only if they get much smarter then who knows what they will be capable off. Bt after saying all this theres no point living in the future since we should live in the present =]

Accipiter
09-06-2011, 04:09 PM
it might not be possible for artificial intelligence to take the place of humans in some social roles.

That line right there is so indecisive that i'm going to leave it at that, they don't know where they are at, its dreams.

We already know that robotics have been controlled by animal brains and such, but its not that what needs advancing, it needs better materials. Although balance will probably and most likely always defeat robotics into slow movement.

About them taking up our job roles is clearly happening now, but on the factory floors you tend to still have floor managers who tend to the robotics, and a lot of factory lines still require some human involvement.

Also the fact that in the long run, and at the beginning, robots might not even be very cost efficient and the price could probably out weigh that of paying a Human if something were to go wrong with the machinery.

GirlNextDoor15
10-06-2011, 04:25 AM
With the way modern technology is working you never know what they might have. They could be much smarter than the human mind and also gain intelligence from us its something we really should think about. Since we may be alive (if 2012 dnt happen lol) when it all takes place.

May I ask you how robots can be much smarter than the human mind and gain intelligence from us? Whatever happens, robots are man made machines and they were created by humans. How can they be smarter than us? Obviously, they are non-living things and they can't speak, think or differentiate what's right and what's wrong unless we humans made them to.

Gibs960
10-06-2011, 04:14 PM
Okay so robots are used for jobs that are possibly deemed too difficult for humans to do, is that a bad thing? Or perhaps it's not profitable to employ humans. People are so scared about stuff that's gonna happen in the future, they're movies, they are fictional. Anyway I hope there is like a minor robot over-throw cos I wanna shoot some robot ass! ;)

dbgtz
10-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Okay so robots are used for jobs that are possibly deemed too difficult for humans to do, is that a bad thing? Or perhaps it's not profitable to employ humans. People are so scared about stuff that's gonna happen in the future, they're movies, they are fictional. Anyway I hope there is like a minor robot over-throw cos I wanna shoot some robot ass! ;)

You'll die not kick ass

Anyway when robots have a slight "take over" in the retail industry, there will be an increase in unemployment but over the years it will most likely decrease as the demand for those to R&D in future technology and technicians will increase so the world will balance. Robots could eventually become used as weapons I guess (by robots in this scenario I mean man-like machines) which could be catastrophic but very unlikely they will replace humans in war anytime soon. In my opinion, they can only be as smart as the person who made them (can't remember who I heard that from, but it made sense).

Andii
10-06-2011, 06:54 PM
May I ask you how robots can be much smarter than the human mind and gain intelligence from us? Whatever happens, robots are man made machines and they were created by humans. How can they be smarter than us? Obviously, they are non-living things and they can't speak, think or differentiate what's right and what's wrong unless we humans made them to.

Well with recent technology who knows what may happen. Man may be able to create robots to speak in any language and also may also create them with the thirst for knowledge which can allow them to learn many different things. And they can be smarter than us if created by some of the most brilliant minds on the planet. One robot could contain the knowledge from all of them wereas a human mind is only one. They may not be able to have feelings like us but that still doesnt mean they cant be smarter

GirlNextDoor15
12-06-2011, 08:15 AM
Well with recent technology who knows what may happen. Man may be able to create robots to speak in any language and also may also create them with the thirst for knowledge which can allow them to learn many different things. And they can be smarter than us if created by some of the most brilliant minds on the planet. One robot could contain the knowledge from all of them wereas a human mind is only one. They may not be able to have feelings like us but that still doesnt mean they cant be smarter

Yes. I admit that man may be able to create highly advanced robots. That doesn't mean they are living things. They still cannot think for themselves or protect themselves unless humans programmed them to. We are not God. We don't have the power to create another living thing(robots) from non-living things(stuff to make a robot). How can they have the thirst for knowledge? I don't see the point of having a robot that will come to you and ask questions. Robots were created to help our lives, not to make us feel irritated by making them to come to us and ask questions. Even if they is a robot that is 'thirsty for knowledge', we are the ones who made them like this. We create them by programming them. However, they are not likely to ask every single thing because they are thirsty for knowledge. If you get what I mean, I'm saying that humans control them. What do you mean by 'most brilliant minds on the planet'? Osama bin Laden WAS one of them and I don't see him creating something as such. To sum it up, even the most brilliant minds on the planet cannot create something like what you just said.

---------- Post added 12-06-2011 at 04:20 PM ----------

Okay so robots are used for jobs that are possibly deemed too difficult for humans to do, is that a bad thing?

I don't understand why are you even saying that. Japan created robots to take care of the elderly people. Is taking care of the elderly people TOO DIFFICULT for humans to do? I don't think so. Therefore, it is a bad thing and we should be worried about it. The more advanced robots can be, the more ******ed humans will be.

Recursion
12-06-2011, 08:49 AM

If robots feel no emotions, they don't have a thirst for knowledge, simple.

Andii
12-06-2011, 10:42 AM
If robots feel no emotions, they don't have a thirst for knowledge, simple.

not really they may be programmed for a thirst for knowledge.

Recursion
12-06-2011, 12:30 PM
not really they may be programmed for a thirst for knowledge.

Artifical intelligence is just that, artificial, it can sense things and learn from mistakes, but it can't apply them to different situations like humans can, it doesn't sound like a big thing, but it's what gets us through life. Being able to apply rules and theories we've learnt to different situations according to our intuition is part of living.

Andii
12-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Artifical intelligence is just that, artificial, it can sense things and learn from mistakes, but it can't apply them to different situations like humans can, it doesn't sound like a big thing, but it's what gets us through life. Being able to apply rules and theories we've learnt to different situations according to our intuition is part of living.

but what you seem to not understand is that its the future. Not now. nowadays yes those apply but in the future no one knows what will happen and how they will develop. artifical intelligence may go beyond artificial and become its own living organism which may be infact the smartest race on the planet. who knows what will happen but they may be created and bread as its own kind

Recursion
12-06-2011, 01:10 PM
but what you seem to not understand is that its the future. Not now. nowadays yes those apply but in the future no one knows what will happen and how they will develop. artifical intelligence may go beyond artificial and become its own living organism which may be infact the smartest race on the planet. who knows what will happen but they may be created and bread as its own kind

It's been said computers will be smarter than the entire human race together in less than 60 years time if nano tech continues at the rate it's developing at the moment, but the thing is, they can't physically develop emotions, how can silicon, which is an element humans extract, physically develop emotions? It can't, software may well be able to learn to do this, but we can't physically make them feel anything, we feel things through chemicals released in our bodies, how would a computer do that?

Andii
12-06-2011, 01:19 PM
It's been said computers will be smarter than the entire human race together in less than 60 years time if nano tech continues at the rate it's developing at the moment, but the thing is, they can't physically develop emotions, how can silicon, which is an element humans extract, physically develop emotions? It can't, software may well be able to learn to do this, but we can't physically make them feel anything, we feel things through chemicals released in our bodies, how would a computer do that?

like i said before. Its the future so who knows what will happen. we are talking about robots not computers. robots may be even made using human parts like a brain or a heart. this may also let them have a clear view on things and enhance them with feelings like we have. robots are evolving every single day and again they may even become a living organism just like us.

Recursion
12-06-2011, 01:28 PM
like i said before. Its the future so who knows what will happen. we are talking about robots not computers. robots may be even made using human parts like a brain or a heart. this may also let them have a clear view on things and enhance them with feelings like we have. robots are evolving every single day and again they may even become a living organism just like us.

It's physically impossible for Silicon to become a living organism, it's just the way the universe works :P

Andii
12-06-2011, 01:39 PM
It's physically impossible for Silicon to become a living organism, it's just the way the universe works :P

lol again we are going off the matter :L no one can say that for sure. . . people said it was impossible to sink the titanic they were wrong they also said it was impossible to fly on the moon many years ago they were wrong :)

Inseriousity.
12-06-2011, 04:06 PM
The biggest threat to people working in retail is self service tills, it'll get to a point where there will only be self service tills in a super market.

I feel so strongly about it, that i do not use self service tills for that reason. I'd rather go to a manned till and allow someone to keep their job.

And it is for this precise reason why we should not be worried about robotics in the future. There'll never be a system where there are only self-service tills in a supermarket because the people using them have a choice and if they have a choice to go to a different supermarket where there are humans working then that's where they'll go.

Robots will never take away our jobs because the humans in control of them simply won't let them and that's why there's nothing to worry about.

-Danube-
12-06-2011, 04:30 PM
And it is for this precise reason why we should not be worried about robotics in the future. There'll never be a system where there are only self-service tills in a supermarket because the people using them have a choice and if they have a choice to go to a different supermarket where there are humans working then that's where they'll go.

Robots will never take away our jobs because the humans in control of them simply won't let them and that's why there's nothing to worry about.

We created the economy but yet we are not in control of this.

If a supermarket decided to rip out all it's tills and put in a 'self service' system only, it would mean it could employ alot less staff, meaning it is reducing it's running costs. So it can cut the prices of it's food/products, when you ask people about Ethics or Money, most people go with Money everytime. I work in a food department and the food which is fair trade is more expensive and we hardly ever have to fill up the Fair trade things as people always go for the cheaper product when it comes down to it.

So if a supermarket had self service only tills, it could have cheaper products and so people are more likely to shop there. Because these people start going to one store, the other stores must compete and slash their prices, the only way they can do this is to follow suit and put self service tills in. Thus destroying many jobs.

As technology gets better, this will effect many other jobs.

Inseriousity.
12-06-2011, 04:46 PM
We created the economy but yet we are not in control of this.

If a supermarket decided to rip out all it's tills and put in a 'self service' system only, it would mean it could employ alot less staff, meaning it is reducing it's running costs. So it can cut the prices of it's food/products, when you ask people about Ethics or Money, most people go with Money everytime. I work in a food department and the food which is fair trade is more expensive and we hardly ever have to fill up the Fair trade things as people always go for the cheaper product when it comes down to it.

So if a supermarket had self service only tills, it could have cheaper products and so people are more likely to shop there. Because these people start going to one store, the other stores must compete and slash their prices, the only way they can do this is to follow suit and put self service tills in. Thus destroying many jobs.

As technology gets better, this will effect many other jobs.

You said "this is why I do not use self-service tills so I can save someone's job" and this is why there's nothing to worry about because people have the choice. It's not a question of ethics. It's a question of putting humans first and everything else that is different second (whether that's animals for animal testing). There will never be a supermarket with no staff on tills because of people like you and many more people like you who refuses to use one therefore it's a big risk to attempt it and it's not a risk a profit-grabbing supermarket will go for.

It's all very well saying people will shop there if it's cheaper but this isn't necessarily true. People buy fairtrade products and/or organic food all the time even though it's more expensive than the average product. There are lots of people who do put principle before money.

-Danube-
12-06-2011, 04:55 PM
You said "this is why I do not use self-service tills so I can save someone's job" and this is why there's nothing to worry about because people have the choice. It's not a question of ethics. It's a question of putting humans first and everything else that is different second (whether that's animals for animal testing). There will never be a supermarket with no staff on tills because of people like you and many more people like you who refuses to use one therefore it's a big risk to attempt it and it's not a risk a profit-grabbing supermarket will go for.

It's all very well saying people will shop there if it's cheaper but this isn't necessarily true. People buy fairtrade products and/or organic food all the time even though it's more expensive than the average product. There are lots of people who do put principle before money.

I'm just saying, from personal experience, normal cheaper products sell far better than Fairtrade which sit on the shelf for months and hardly goes down. Not saying people don't, as they do, but it's hardly any.

Nearly everyone will agree with the views of Fairtrade, but when it comes down to actually buying something, the majority or these people go for the cheaper product.

If a supermarket got all self service in, and was really cheap because of this, i'd change my views and shop there. Some people wouldn't, but most people would, as like i said it's all about money. It actually is. This is what the whole robtics thing under pins, the main reasons why we make robots is because 1) We don't have to pay them and 2) They can work 24/7 with no breaks (unless they actually break!).

This then passes savings onto the consumer and creates competition within the retail environment and so nearly all places follow suit.

I'm not saying they will totally remove all tills and jobs, all i'm saying, is it will decrease the amount of jobs avaliable. There is talk of putting in self service tills at my work because we are getting refurbished, if they do, i'd love to see how many christmas temps we get in this christmas.

Inseriousity.
12-06-2011, 04:59 PM
The difference between fairtrade and self-service tills is that the people that benefit from fairtrade aren't connected to us in any way. We'll feel more emphathy for locals who live in our community than people who live thousands of miles away. If there was a supermarket with only self-service tills, I can guarantee that there would be outrage from the media and the local communities, the same way that whenever a place closes down and thousands of jobs are under threat, people band together. This is why there will never be a self-service supermarket in the UK. No retailer would want to risk public backlash because that will hit them where it hurts: their pockets.

GirlNextDoor15
13-06-2011, 08:32 AM

No offense but you sound very naive. Yes, we do not know what the future holds. Robots might be better than now and they might be very advanced until they can take over human jobs. That is why we should be worried. But, there is not even a slight possibility that a robot can be a living organism. It's completely impossible. If we have organs like brain and heart , why wouldn't we use it to save humans instead of putting it in a robot just to make it a 'living organism'? It's just clearly impossible and robots cannot be living organisms like us. They will not have the thirst for knowledge if they don't have emotions. If they don't have emotions, there's no curiosity and how can they have thirst for knowledge?

---------- Post added 13-06-2011 at 04:47 PM ----------

Robots will take away our jobs although humans control them. Humans are said to be complex creatures and they will do anything in order to get their needs fulfilled. Let's say a roboticist succeed in creating a robot that can perform surgeries just like a human surgeon. Other people might not allow it to be used in hospitals but when you come to think of that, robotic surgeons are way better than human surgeons. They can work 24/7 and perform surgeries without a mistake (unless anything technical went wrong, then that's an exception). This is because humans program them to do the tasks. With that, people might just use robots in hospitals instead of hiring human surgeons which may cost thousands and thousands per month. Even though we might not support the decision, we cannot do anything. The roboticist might be offered a lot of money for his creations. Who would say no to that? If the roboticist agreed on it, he doesn't need to work anymore because he'll have a lot of money. So, that is why we need to worry about it.

Albert Einstein created atomic bombs for world peace. Thus, saying robots will never take away our jobs is just like saying atomic bombs will never kill us. ==

Andii
13-06-2011, 09:45 AM
umm thats why im arguing that we should be worried lolol. Bascially your trying to argue with me but you haven't read what ive been posting. And like i said before they may develop emotions. and learn to think for themselves.

Inseriousity.
13-06-2011, 09:56 AM
I'd actually be more comfortable in the hands of a human surgeon than a robot one, simply because robots, like humans, are not infallible but at least I know a human won't shut down halfway through the prodecure. Think about it logically, if all the teachers were replaced with robots, do you think people would stand by and let their children be taught by them despite the fact that the robot teachers are more knowledgeable so "humans will be able to get their needs fulfilled"? I very much doubt it because people are afraid. They're afraid of things that are foreign and different to them. And I believe that the fear of the unknown will overrule human desire to "get their needs fulfilled."

GirlNextDoor15
13-06-2011, 01:19 PM
I'd actually be more comfortable in the hands of a human surgeon than a robot one, simply because robots, like humans, are not infallible but at least I know a human won't shut down halfway through the prodecure. Think about it logically, if all the teachers were replaced with robots, do you think people would stand by and let their children be taught by them despite the fact that the robot teachers are more knowledgeable so "humans will be able to get their needs fulfilled"? I very much doubt it because people are afraid. They're afraid of things that are foreign and different to them. And I believe that the fear of the unknown will overrule human desire to "get their needs fulfilled."

I agree with you too. However, some people don't think like you. They'll only think of their advantages and what they will benefit from using robots. ;P

---------- Post added 13-06-2011 at 09:20 PM ----------

umm thats why im arguing that we should be worried lolol. Bascially your trying to argue with me but you haven't read what ive been posting. And like i said before they may develop emotions. and learn to think for themselves.

Yes, I know. But, what you said is quite wrong. Robots cannot be living organisms.
We should be worried about it but robots definitely cannot be living organisms.

Andii
13-06-2011, 04:41 PM
Yes, I know. But, what you said is quite wrong. Robots cannot be living organisms.
We should be worried about it but robots definitely cannot be living organisms.

Not really. Again like i said before many people also said titanic cannot be sunk but it was. People believe that we evolved from monkeys or whatever so what doesnt say that robots can evolve on their own??

GirlNextDoor15
14-06-2011, 01:39 PM
Not really. Again like i said before many people also said titanic cannot be sunk but it was. People believe that we evolved from monkeys or whatever so what doesnt say that robots can evolve on their own??

Not really as in some of what you said are wrong? That means you agree that some of what you said are wrong. About the titanic thing, I have nothing to say about it. It's an accident and accidents happen all the time. Charles Darwin's theory stated that we evolved from animals or whatever. I'm not gonna go into that. But, you can notice that we evolved from living organisms. Animals are living organisms. Although Charles Darwin's theory is proven right, we still don't know if it's true or false. So, it may not be right. With the help of science, we can even clone humans, animals or produce new genes/species. Robots evolving on their own. nah. They can't evolve from non-living organisms such as metals and microchips. They cannot be living organisms.

Andii
14-06-2011, 02:18 PM
Not really as in some of what you said are wrong? That means you agree that some of what you said are wrong. About the titanic thing, I have nothing to say about it. It's an accident and accidents happen all the time. Charles Darwin's theory stated that we evolved from animals or whatever. I'm not gonna go into that. But, you can notice that we evolved from living organisms. Animals are living organisms. Although Charles Darwin's theory is proven right, we still don't know if it's true or false. So, it may not be right. With the help of science, we can even clone humans, animals or produce new genes/species. Robots evolving on their own. nah. They can't evolve from non-living organisms such as metals and microchips. They cannot be living organisms.

lolol ino but what if they were made into living organisms such as built into human form. Imagine if they started using dead People and added in some microchips into them to make them come alive again with robotic instructions. This surely would have a major increase on the amount of robots as many people die every single day.

I dnt believe in evolution lol but still its rare to think about it. Many Things evolve mainly technology and as its on a major increase in society so they could still devlop on their own since robots are taking over human jobs they may learn the skills to create each other

GirlNextDoor15
14-06-2011, 02:29 PM
Wow. Your imagination is really wild and you can write a book with the help of it.

since robots are taking over human jobs they may learn the skills to create each other

What do you mean? They start reproducing?
Fyi, it's reality. Things like what you just said won't happen. It's not like movies. Robots cannot create each other unless humans wanted to. They just can't and it's the fact. You can't deny the fact.

Andii
14-06-2011, 02:33 PM
Wow. Your imagination is really wild and you can write a book with the help of it.

What do you mean? They start reproducing?
Fyi, it's reality. Things like what you just said won't happen. It's not like movies. Robots cannot create each other unless humans wanted to. They just can't and it's the fact. You can't deny the fact.

LOLOL again ur living in the present the debate is about the future. so NO1 CAN SAY ITS A FACT lol. . . n i mean like robots create cars and things so what is stopping them from creating more robots in factories???

NOTHING !! :)

GirlNextDoor15
14-06-2011, 02:49 PM
First, you talked about robots can be living organisms.
Second, you talked about robots can reproduce.
Now, you talked about people creating more robots in factories.
I got so confused by your points.
Robots can be created in abundance and that's why we should worry. They still cannot be living organisms. This world is not full of magic like Cinderella. You can't just move the wand and the pumpkin will be a carriage. The world doesn't work like that. Btw, it's not a fact. It's common sense. Earth has existed for millions of years and we still don't see objects becoming organisms.

Robots make robots in factories because humans want them to? It's all under humans order and commands. They cannot be considered living organisms.

Andii
15-06-2011, 01:19 PM
lol what you dont understand is what your not reading. i talked about robots being created from humans aswell being connected together. they would have a robotic mind and they still can become living organisms. Do you even understand what that is??

GirlNextDoor15
15-06-2011, 01:40 PM
I didn't say I don't understand. I said I'm confused. Confused and understand are two different words, my dear. 'Robotic mind and they still can become living organisms'? I'm sorry but me as a living organism don't understand. How can a 'living organism with a robotic mind' is considered living organism? A lot of living organisms I see don't have robotic minds. Even plants respond to stimuli. Plants don't have robotic minds? :P

Xegen
16-06-2011, 04:31 PM
Robots are basically just computers at the moment and therefore can't really be considered any more of a living object than for example a car or a piece of furniture can.

Eoin247
16-06-2011, 05:56 PM
Just to Update that this debate will run until the 29th of June rather thn the 22nd.

For more info, please see the most recent debates announcement in the habbox announcements section.

Thanks,

-Eoin

Andii
16-06-2011, 06:55 PM
Robots are basically just computers at the moment and therefore can't really be considered any more of a living object than for example a car or a piece of furniture can.

but we are talking about the future and should we be worried. Everyone needs to stop thinking about robots in the present and think about what the future may have in the terms of robotics. who knows what will happen. and no 1 can say what will exactly happen as a fact

ApeBoy
24-06-2011, 03:00 PM
I've seen and watched many movies and shows about our future getting filled with robots to obviously improve our day to day lives. I've also seen how our present day robots can also do that. Now, have I ever worried about robots taking over the world with to high of a level of intelligence? No.

It seems pretty possible in a science-fiction based creation however in reality, it at all isn't very possible. Robots are not part of our natural cycle of evolution. Technically they are being evolved right now, as in, being upgraded however that isn't the exact same as them being naturally evolved. For something to sustain life on our planet, it needs to be able to fend with the environmental around it. Robots would just be a bunch of fancy metals being put together to make some kind of a machinery. Now these machines won't be able to even live without someone or something else giving it energy. Something or someone has to control that energy. It all ends up coming to us. We have to not only control but also provide the energy to the robots. Therefore, without us, they won't be able to live.

If they won't be able to live, I guess it'll be impossible for them to take over a much more divine living beings like you and me. The humans.

,elaboratedolls
24-06-2011, 07:21 PM
I can see what you're saying about them taking human jobs, but they'll also be able to help out in jobs, whilst letting humans keep them. Like, testing whether or not a new building's been made. They could then re in act a scenario for instance, an earthquake, will the building be stable or not to survive the earthquake? The robot would then be able to play the role of the unfortunate human, unlike a crash dummy, do things most likely someone would do when trapped in a building in the middle of an earthquake and see if they would survive and the building receives critical damage or not.

So I'm not overly worried... for now.

ROT
25-06-2011, 05:38 PM
no why would i be worried about robotics..... weirdos

Edited by Shar (Forum Moderator): Please do not post pointlessly, you can refer to the debates rules and guidelines here (http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=617161).

Cosmic
29-06-2011, 06:40 PM
This debate has now ended. The top contributor will be announced shortly!

Thanks to all who took part.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!