PDA

View Full Version : ISP Rant

Richie
14-06-2011, 04:56 PM
Hey,
We were hoping to change isps soon so I contacted my current isp to just make sure I didn't have a contract (eircom - the old one expired april) I was speaking to one of the representatives and they were saying my contract doesn't expire until 10/10/11 they said I agreed to another contract which I didn't so I was furious. I explained I wasn't aware I was being put on another contract I thought I was just changing to a better deal, the rep was arguing that the staff always refer to contracts as contracts and are pretty straight forward. I asked him to put me through to the complaints department to make a complain, he did. I spoke to another rep who asked me what was my problem, I explained and he said the complaint would be investigated. One of the eircom managers rang me a short while after explaining that they went through our calls which they recorded and agreed that the representative wasn't clear about the deal.

Surely companys can't do stuff like this? It's actually disgraceful how they try get their users to agree to contracts that aren't very clear. Fair enough a contract is a contract and that's how company's work but just refering to an upgrade as "A new package" and not explaining the package is under a 12 month contract is surely breaching the law?

David
14-06-2011, 05:07 PM
I was under the impression you could leave your ISP at any point you wish & upgrade/downgrade package if you want to, different in Ireland I'm guessing?

Richie
14-06-2011, 05:15 PM
I was under the impression you could leave your ISP at any point you wish & upgrade/downgrade package if you want to, different in Ireland I'm guessing?

I'm assuming not, when I said I wish to end the contract they said I can't or I'd be breaching the contract. Really silly, what if one loses their job and are on a 12 month contract yet they can't pay the company? they are basically screwed I'm guessed.

If I'm honest I told eircom we want to be cutt off because we can't afford it. Which is correct in some sense, we can afford it but it's a struggle at times to include this and other bills. Either way it's none of their business. We want to cancel all services with eircom because we can get x20 upload + download speed with another company and the phone for 57€ a month. Whereas eircom is charging us 125€ for both the broadband and phone.

David
14-06-2011, 05:22 PM
Surely there's something in the contract, where if you're not happy with services you can opt out with X days notice?
Also if you agreed unknowingly to an oral contract, then it really shouldn't be valid, since you weren't informed exactly what you were agreeing to.. & you said they had a recording of the call where you supposedly agreed to a contract extension but weren't told fully of the new package.

Richie
14-06-2011, 05:49 PM
Surely there's something in the contract, where if you're not happy with services you can opt out with X days notice?
Also if you agreed unknowingly to an oral contract, then it really shouldn't be valid, since you weren't informed exactly what you were agreeing to.. & you said they had a recording of the call where you supposedly agreed to a contract extension but weren't told fully of the new package.

Yeah, if anything goes down and we get charged additional fees I'm seeking legal advice.

David
14-06-2011, 05:51 PM
Yeah, that's probably the best idea. I hope you get this sorted out, I think that you're in the right, they're in the wrong.

Adam
15-06-2011, 07:35 AM
If you've signed up to a contract then you've signed up to a contract. I'm with TalkTalk at the moment and I'm counting the hours until the contract runs out, Jesus Christ they're bad...

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!