PDA

View Full Version : Test soon.

PaulMacC
18-06-2011, 01:30 AM
Booked my test for just under 2 weeks. Just read The national pass rate for the practical test was just under 46% in March 2010. ******* scares me. The test center I am going to has a pass rate of around 48% for 2011. My instructor says I can drive. I am so nervous and not confident in myself though. When driving I am fine though but I make silly mistakes like when reversing around a corner I go too close and have to correct myself and then reverse again. Any tips?

PaulMacC
18-06-2011, 05:35 AM
bumppppppppppppp

Edited by Jordesh (Forum Moderator): Please do not double post after the 15 minute edit time without any additional information

Recursion
18-06-2011, 10:06 AM
When I did mine, he didn't mark me down for driving forward to correct my reverse around a corner. I failed the first time for timing of signals but the second time was piss easy, seriously aced that turn in the road LMAO.

But serious, just be as calm as possible and drive as you would with your instructor. I'd suggest taking your instructor with you (I did) in case you do fail so that he knows what to help you improve on. Everyone makes silly mistakes and they can't help it, I'm sure you'll do just fine. Also take things one step at a time as they come, if you need to reverse around a corner, take time to stop and move your offside mirror down slightly so you can see better and things like that. Also I read the guidelines that said parking sensors etc should be turned off but they kept them on.. oh well xD

What car will you be using?

Cosmic
18-06-2011, 10:08 AM
Just do your best to keep your head and not to let little things that you think you might have done wrong put you off.

buttons
18-06-2011, 12:46 PM
just treat it as a normal driving lesson. I didnt take a lesson beforehand because if I did bad I'd feel more unconfident before the actual test. I didnt take my driving instructor with me lol incase I got nervous. you're ALLOWED to make mistakes as long as you're calm and correct them, that's what theyll look for. you may make mistakes even when you pass so they'll want to see how you deal with them.

PaulMacC
18-06-2011, 01:54 PM
When I did mine, he didn't mark me down for driving forward to correct my reverse around a corner. I failed the first time for timing of signals but the second time was piss easy, seriously aced that turn in the road LMAO.

But serious, just be as calm as possible and drive as you would with your instructor. I'd suggest taking your instructor with you (I did) in case you do fail so that he knows what to help you improve on. Everyone makes silly mistakes and they can't help it, I'm sure you'll do just fine. Also take things one step at a time as they come, if you need to reverse around a corner, take time to stop and move your offside mirror down slightly so you can see better and things like that. Also I read the guidelines that said parking sensors etc should be turned off but they kept them on.. oh well xD

What car will you be using?

1.4L Clio Diesel.

Also, Independent driving is being introduced here on the 27th June. What do I do then and what do I look out for?

Robbie
18-06-2011, 02:30 PM
Ignore pass rates, every centre has a **** one apart from those in like tiny villages with one road :P

PaulMacC
18-06-2011, 02:36 PM
I suppose, the pass rate for the theory was 62% and I got almost 100% in but we'll have to see. My instructor hasn't a clue about independent driving so I'm telling him all about it now. He seems to think you've to drive perfectly following road signs and if you get lost you get marked down. Haha, I just sent him a link for the official DVLNI page which explains it.

buttons
18-06-2011, 02:39 PM
independent driving is when you're given directions basically. mine was turn right at the roundabout, 2nd exit, drive to the end of the road, turn right, end of the road, turn left, 2nd right etc. as simple as that, although my directions took me out of town so I thought maybe I was doing it wrong.... but I wasnt

PaulMacC
18-06-2011, 02:43 PM
Just a bit nervous about my manoeuvres too. I can do them but I have my off days. Going to get a few lessons dedicated to them. I'm good with normal driving, checks, mirrors, but manoeuvres is my weak point bar 3 point turn.

Recursion
18-06-2011, 05:51 PM
Just a bit nervous about my manoeuvres too. I can do them but I have my off days. Going to get a few lessons dedicated to them. I'm good with normal driving, checks, mirrors, but manoeuvres is my weak point bar 3 point turn.

I think it is for everyone, I try to avoid reversing into parking bays even now! LOL.

The independent driving really is simple, I got given "left at the roundabout, then next right, follow the signs to XXX". If you get lost, ask where you're supposed to be going and the examiner will help you, obviously if you miss a sign or it's obstructed by trees they won't mark you down, it's just to test your skills for making decisions etc and preparing you for when you're out on your own.

As you said, it's good to get some lessons in for the bits you don't do well. I also had a lesson the day before the test and a two hour one just before the test.

Once you're in the car time flies, seriously, 45 minutes feels more like 5.

danzooo
18-06-2011, 11:07 PM
1.4L Clio Diesel.

I'm gonna assume you meant 1.5 ;)

I've got a tip for you:

Get into the car, and drive where the examiner tells you to. If they tell you to do a three point turn, do a three point turn.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!