PDA

View Full Version : Crime to sing the National Anthem (God save The Queen)

David
22-06-2011, 02:53 PM
I was looking at the papers today, and on the cover of The Sun I saw, CRIME TO SING THE NATIONAL ANTHEM.;Fans face jail over God Save The Queen

Apparently it's sectarianism to sing the British National Anthem, I think this is absolutely ridiculous and on the borderline of Treason, I think the government has gone mad.

Story can be found here: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/3651347/Crime-to-sing-the-national-anthem.html

What's your thoughts on this?

FlyingJesus
22-06-2011, 02:59 PM
Cunningham's an idiot. The good news is that the headline is sensationalist and there's almost no chance of God Save the Queen becoming a banned song, but the premise is there if this policy gets rushed through without being properly dealt with. Currently it's so subjective that it actually appears to be saying that if you get attacked by a rival fan at a game you are the one in the wrong for somehow making them aggressive (presumably by not supporting the same team as them), which suggests that Cunningham believes all kits and uniforms should be banned. She's not said that of course, but it follows from her ridiculously illogical policy

GommeInc
22-06-2011, 03:12 PM
Interesting story and one I'd probably use when I go to the toilet. I think FlyingJesus summed this up nicely, it's just a sensationalist story which has no premise to sit on, especially when banning songs is ridiculous, other than informal rules in areas just so they do not cause arguments. If they did ban it though, I would strongly urge people sing Rule Britannia, it's a much better anthem :P

-:Undertaker:-
22-06-2011, 04:40 PM
This is the kind of ridiculous nonsense (these types of scenarios) you end up with when you enforce any kind of restrictions on freedom of speech (which our last government and this government have been very busy working upon during their time in office) which is usually introduced under the guise of 'offending people' - another example on why we need total freedom of speech as we used to have not long ago (so much for progress) because the more red tape you surround yourself with - the more likely you are to weave a web in which you yourself will become stuck in. Freedom of speech is absolute or nothing, I pick freedom of speech.

But on a final note people, you all complain about this political correctness drivel that is enforced upon us but then go out and vote for left wing parties which firmly believe in this rubbish; the Labour Party, The Conservatives, the Liberal Democrats, the SNP.......... but the biggest fools of all are those who vote for the Conservative Party which they wrongly believe will reverse any of this big state rubbish. David Cameron and the Conservatives pledged to end all this political correctness before the election, I rightly didn't believe a word he or his party said - they've once again proved me right.

I must ask anyone else who thinks this is ridiculous though, do you believe in the right to expouse hate speech/offensive languages ie. have unlimited free speech? - if the answer is along the lines of "well I believe in free speech EXCEPT for.." then its quite clear that you do not agree with freedom of speech and should therefore not pretend you do so on this thread or any other.

,elaboratedolls
22-06-2011, 06:28 PM
I actually laughed when I read the title. It's crazy to think that they used singing as an excuse.

Are they saying we shouldn't save the queen anymore?

Jay.
22-06-2011, 08:32 PM
GOD SAVE OUR GRACIOUS QUEEN
LONG LIVE OUR NOBLE QUEEN
GOD SAVE THE QUEEN
SEND HER VICTORIOUS
HAPPY AND GLORIOUS

-arrested. Absolute ********

Chippiewill
22-06-2011, 11:52 PM
and on the cover of The Sun I saw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09eP8xjsrco

Of course this is a joke, and of course this won't be enforced. Everyone move along, nothing to see here.

DPS
30-06-2011, 09:28 PM
I'm pretty much happy with this, as sectarianism is a big issue in scotland when it comes to football ect, and i hate the fact rangers fans sing god save the queen lol, yet we cant sing songs that offend others, such as rangers fans.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!