PDA

View Full Version : Magnitude-6.7 quake hits Japan

The Don
22-06-2011, 11:45 PM
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab97/a19941/download.jpg

A magnitude-6.7 earthquake has rattled north-eastern Japan, the US Geological Survey reported.

It was the same area of the Pacific where a massive magnitude-9 quake hit on March 11, triggering a deadly tsunami.

At least 23,000 people were killed or left missing in those disasters, which destroyed hundreds of homes, offices and factories in north-eastern Japan.

The Japan Meteorological Agency issued a tsunami warning for Iwate Prefecture after the quake, but cancelled it about an hour later.

The US Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre said it did not expect a destructive Pacific-wide tsunami.

There were no immediate reports of damage or injuries in the quake.

It was offshore from Honshu island, and was some 325 miles north-east of Tokyo, the USGS said. The quake was 19.9 miles deep.

Devastating news. I feel sorry for everyone affected and wish them well.

Edit: just looked on other news sites, apparently no casualties reported!

dbgtz
22-06-2011, 11:48 PM
Japan really deserves a break, and it's stuff like this that I don't care about the rain we get here.

Chippiewill
22-06-2011, 11:48 PM
Good news, this is around 100x less powerful. But yeah, we should have their earthquakes for them (h)

Wig44.
22-06-2011, 11:54 PM
Good news, this is around 100x less powerful. But yeah, we should have their earthquakes for them (h)
:O

No thanks! Isn't their infrastructure better suited to deal with earthquakes than ours? Ours is terrible (obviously) because we don't get 'em.

Neversoft
23-06-2011, 12:02 AM
Japan has it rough. I remember when we had like a magnitude 1 earthquake and it was on the news all day. They said some tiles fell off of someones roof because of it.

dbgtz
23-06-2011, 12:03 AM
Japan has it rough. I remember when we had like a magnitude 1 earthquake and it was on the news all day. They said some tiles fell off of someones roof because of it.

HOLY ****TTTTTTTTTTTTT

Edited by Infectious (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not make pointless posts, thanks!

buttons
23-06-2011, 01:00 AM
i agree
when will this stop:(

alv4
23-06-2011, 02:29 AM
God, Again?
Horrible Hope everything is alright!

!!BeWise!!
23-06-2011, 07:01 AM
I live in Japan, and just want to thank everyone whose worrying, hoping, and praying for the country:)

I'm hoping for the earthquakes to end, but since Japan is an island, and is right under the moving plate tectonics, there is nothing we can do other than leaving to live in a different country...But, I do think that magnitude 6 is way better than the enormous earthquake that killed so many people. Although, we do still have some minor aftershocks every month, I think it really has gotten better:)

I'll keep praying for Japan as well! :D

Agnostic Bear
23-06-2011, 07:41 AM
6.7 is nothing to Japan. Ever so slightly newsworthy I guess.

Lee
23-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Argh, pretty shocking on them, though I don't fancy taking a 6.7 earthquake for them (N)

,elaboratedolls
23-06-2011, 05:21 PM
I live in Japan, and just want to thank everyone whose worrying, hoping, and praying for the country:)

I'm hoping for the earthquakes to end, but since Japan is an island, and is right under the moving plate tectonics, there is nothing we can do other than leaving to live in a different country...But, I do think that magnitude 6 is way better than the enormous earthquake that killed so many people. Although, we do still have some minor aftershocks every month, I think it really has gotten better:)

I'll keep praying for Japan as well! :D

Has your prefecture been affected? :o

I really feel for Japan, 8.9 magnitude then 7?! I'm really glad we don't have earthquakes at that severe a level, infact earthquakes at all.

Jordan
23-06-2011, 05:25 PM
Oh dear, one after another not good!

^ Btw if your referring to England not having any earthquakes - then we do, just small ones. We do also have bigs one, rare though :)

Jordan
23-06-2011, 05:48 PM
Sorry for double posting but I just saw on the news a 2.7 hit a devon town, I know nothing major but it links on to what I said :)

Adam
23-06-2011, 08:36 PM
These sorts of earthquakes are normal for Japan they have hundreds of years and their country is prepared for them, it's just the media once again blowing things out of proportion.

Mathew
23-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Awww, not having much luck this year are they? :( Hope everything turns out alright sooner or later! :) x

Aaron
24-06-2011, 03:04 AM
Wow, they really need a break!

-:Undertaker:-
24-06-2011, 03:28 AM
The Japs seem to be having it really rough lately as do most of the Pacific countries (New Zealand, Austrialia) but i'm sure they'll come out just fine, some of the pictures of the extent of the cleanup are amazing - I dread to think what it would be like of something one tenth the size of what hit Japan hit the British Isles!

Jordan:A
24-06-2011, 03:54 AM
Glad there were no casualties.
Shame though, they're trying to clean up and everything and another one comes along :(

ROT
26-06-2011, 09:55 PM
http://i51.tinypic.com/2zdsi8o.jpg

Edited by Shar (Forum Moderator): Please do not post pointlessly, thanks.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!