PDA

View Full Version : Strange phone call from "dell"

Richie
23-06-2011, 08:42 AM
I got a phone call from "dell" today my suspicions were it was another company trying to snare me into a scam but what was really strange was, there was no catch and the guy on the phone knew all of my details, from my order number to my computer model. What was strange is, although he knew most of my details he didn't know my address or email. The man who had a strong voice from the states claimed that a number of dells motherboards had problems with them and wanted to fix them now to stop the computer having problems in the future. I can't seem to get through to dell Ireland and if this is some scam company trying to nick my decent motherboard and replace it for a crappy one, that is a serious offence. The man said a technician would call out some stage next week and replace the motherboard in the comfort of my own home. Surely if this is another scam it's a serious problem because they're meeting and greeting their victims.

I asked what sort of computers may have corrupted motherboards and I caught these few amongst the 10 or so:

Xps 3000 (Mine)
Alienware

Should I be alarmed? Has anyone else bought a computer from dell recently? have any of you heard any news regarding this?

Chat with a dell rep online.. what the hell

09:11:30 https://chat6.us.dell.com/netagent/client/unified/classic/imgs/system1.png System You are now being connected to an agent. Thank you for using Dell Chat
09:11:30 https://chat6.us.dell.com/netagent/client/unified/classic/imgs/system1.png System Connected with Joyce_Serrano
09:11:38 https://chat6.us.dell.com/netagent/client/unified/classic/imgs/agent.png Joyce_Serrano Welcome to Dell US Chat! My name is Joyce and I will be your Dell.com Sales Chat Expert. I can be reached at [email protected] or via voicemail at 1-800-379-3355 Ext-2160085. How can I help you today?
09:13:05 https://chat6.us.dell.com/netagent/client/unified/classic/imgs/user1.png Richard Hello, I can't seem to get through to dell.ie, I got a strange phone call today from a man from the states claiming to be part of dell. He said my xps 3000 which I ordered 6 months ago has a corrupted motherboard and will be sending someone out next week to replace it. Should I be alarmed?
09:16:15 https://chat6.us.dell.com/netagent/client/unified/classic/imgs/agent.png Joyce_Serrano Glad that you chatted in today! Thanks for that info.

Sorry for three posts if a mod could merge that'd be great, I contacted dell Ireland on the phone and dell didn't seem to be much help, they basically said they didn't ring me. So I have a man coming out next.. who isn't from dell, that wants to fix my computer which isn't actually broken. Should I call local authority's?

redtom
23-06-2011, 09:16 AM
If they didn't have your address then how is the guy coming to come to your house?

Richie
23-06-2011, 09:27 AM
If they didn't have your address then how is the guy coming to come to your house?

I was stupid enough to think it was dell considering the had all my additional information even the correct serial which was on my desktop, so either dell has leaked information or they have been hacked. I just received an email from "the scam artist" the email address is [email protected] and they told me if I need any help contact them on 02871303045. I am so annoyed I very really fall for these scams and I had my suspicions I even quizzed the rep about my warranty and he told me when it expired and how much it would be to renew. So dell have definitely leak my information if it isn't them. If worst comes to worst I will contact the police and seek legal advice from a lawyer and possibly take action against dell. The only people who would know this information is myself and dell and I haven't discussed it with anyone other than dell over the phone.

Richie
23-06-2011, 09:49 AM
http://news.cnet.com/2100-1044_3-999555.html dell has done it in the past so could it be legit or could a scam artist be using this to their advantage?

Agnostic Bear
23-06-2011, 09:54 AM
THE FIRST GOOGLE RESULT FOR 02871303045 IS A THREAD CONFIRMING IT IS LEGITIMATE

Catzsy
23-06-2011, 09:54 AM
I would say 'scam'. Did their telephone number come up or was it 'unavailable'? I always ask them for a number to
check their authenticity. We have the 'we have detected you have a virus on your computer scam' from people claiming to be from microsoft regularly. @Agnostic Bear - the email was probably from the rep who did the online chat.

Richie
23-06-2011, 09:56 AM
I would say 'scam'. Did their telephone number come up or was it 'unavailable'? I always ask them for a number to
check their authenticity. We have the 'we have detected you have a virus on your computer scam' from people claiming to be from microsoft regularly.

Yeah we get that too but this was weird, they knew everything about the computer I ordered including the serial code. The number did show as unavailable which raised my suspicions.

Recursion
23-06-2011, 09:59 AM
THE FIRST GOOGLE RESULT FOR 02871303045 IS A THREAD CONFIRMING IT IS LEGITIMATE

LMAO. That's quite funny.

Richie, always Google the phone number, it's extremely difficult to fake a number should they ring you and generally a quick Google search will help you out.

It's legit. Of course, you could phone that number to confirm it.

Catzsy
23-06-2011, 10:01 AM
Yeah we get that too but this was weird, they knew everything about the computer I ordered including the serial code. The number did show as unavailable which raised my suspicions.

Richie, always Google the phone number, it's extremely difficult to fake a number should they ring you and generally a quick Google search will help you out.

Please see my edit. The email probably was legit and as a result of the 'online chat' and nothing to do with the phone call. If it came up as unavailable I would be suspicious.

Richie
23-06-2011, 10:05 AM

I'm so confused, I rang dell on three on three occasions today and they confirmed it was a scam. They actually advised me to contact the police. The number I supplied above was actually sent in an email, they rang from a private number.

Catzsy
23-06-2011, 10:08 AM
I'm so confused, I rang dell on three on three occasions today and they confirmed it was a scam. They actually advised me to contact the police. The number I supplied above was actually sent in an email, they rang from a private number.

Then there is your answer. The only way I can see that they got your details is either via Dell or maybe a warranty company if you registered the guarantee or have a service contract. You haven't filled in any surveys stating what computer you have at all?

Richie
23-06-2011, 10:09 AM
Then there is your answer. The only way I can see that they got your details is either via Dell or maybe a warranty company if you registered the guarantee or have a service contract. You haven't filled in any surveys stating what computer you have at all?

Nope I haven't gave any of my details in regards to my computer and serial code to anyone other than dell.

Catzsy
23-06-2011, 10:12 AM
Nope I haven't gave any of my details in regards to my computer and serial code to anyone other than dell.

Well if they ring again just ask for a number to ring them back on and if they won't do that then it's pretty 100% certain that's it's a scam. Also email Dell at the address given to you in the email asking how it is possible that a scam company has all your order details??

Richie
23-06-2011, 10:14 AM
Well if they ring again just ask for a number to ring them back on and if they won't do that then it's pretty 100% certain that's it's a scam. Also email Dell at the address given to you in the email asking how it is possible that a scam company has all your order details??

Fourth time on the phone.. any time I ask dell how my information has been leaked they hang up. I'm not being racist but it annoys me how I ring Dell Ireland and they put me through to someone who finds it hard enough to speak English no mind understand it.

Catzsy
23-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Fourth time on the phone.. any time I ask dell how my information has been leaked they hang up. I'm not being racist but it annoys me how I ring Dell Ireland and they put me through to someone who finds it hard enough to speak English no mind understand it.

Email them, Richie explaining all that has happened. They have to respond in a proper manner if you do. Then forget about it for now as you are spending a fortune on an 0871 number. :P

Jack!
23-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Please see my edit. The email probably was legit and as a result of the 'online chat' and nothing to do with the phone call. If it came up as unavailable I would be suspicious.

THEY RANG HIM.

Catzsy
23-06-2011, 10:18 AM
THEY RANG HIM.

Read the thread, Jack! :P

Richie
This is actually so confusing, I have been in contact with at least 5 or 6 representatives today and all of them have different story's, its legit, its not, ring the police. For god sake, if it is legit, you'd think Dell would inform all of their employees

FlyingJesus
09:13:05 https://chat6.us.dell.com/netagent/client/unified/classic/imgs/user1.png Richard Hello, I can't seem to get through to dell.ie, I got a strange phone call today from a man from the states claiming to be part of dell. He said my xps 3000 which I ordered 6 months ago has a corrupted motherboard and will be sending someone out next week to replace it. Should I be alarmed?
09:16:15 https://chat6.us.dell.com/netagent/client/unified/classic/imgs/agent.png Joyce_Serrano Glad that you chatted in today! Thanks for that info.

omg lol

Catzsy
23-06-2011, 10:22 AM
This is actually so confusing, I have been in contact with at least 5 or 6 representatives today and all of them have different story's, its legit, its not, ring the police. For god sake, if it is legit, you'd think Dell would inform all of their employees

Well email them and you hopefully will get a proper response.

Richie
23-06-2011, 10:23 AM
Well email them and you hopefull will get a proper response.

Email what email address? The one I posted was sent by the so called "scam artist".

Recursion
23-06-2011, 10:26 AM
[email protected] is a legitimate Dell customer services address.

Jack!
23-06-2011, 10:27 AM
My bet is this is 99.9% Genuine.

Recursion
23-06-2011, 10:29 AM
It certainly sounds plausible because Dell do this kind of thing when they discover issues and they do send service personnel round your house/place of work to fix things (usually part of the 3 Yr Pro Support warranties, but occasionally they'll do it for known faults).

Catzsy
23-06-2011, 10:31 AM
My bet is this is 99.9% Genuine.

And how do you work that out? The number came up as unavailable which doesn't usually happen for a legitimate company however if somebody does turn up at an address that Richie says they don't know in the next 7 days you could be right! Richie how do you know the email was sent by the scam artist - did it mention the telephone conversation?

Richie
23-06-2011, 10:32 AM
I will try ring them again later, if anyone has any additional information please post. I got to go do my exam. Laters.

---------- Post added 23-06-2011 at 11:34 AM ----------

And how do you work that out? The number came up as unavailable which doesn't usually happen for a legitimate company however if somebody does turn up at an address that Richie says they don't know in the next 7 days you could be right! Richie how do you know the email was sent by the scam artist - did it mention the telephone conversation?

They said on the phone they'd send me an email.

Chippiewill
23-06-2011, 11:44 AM
[email protected] is a legitimate Dell customer services address.

Because it's so difficult to spoof the email address.

Aaron
23-06-2011, 11:59 AM
Yeah Richie, give the GardaĆ­ a ring explain the situation and tell them what has been going on and what the person who called you said, I'm sure they'll give you a help in some sort of way.

Just be careful for when your man does call out.

Agnostic Bear
23-06-2011, 02:36 PM
It's legit. Anyone saying to the contrary has a complete lack of basic reasoning skills. They know your ~computer~ serial number thus it is legit. Dell is huge and bloated it's no wonder you get 100 different responses.

Honestly you guys are all jokes. Literally jokes I have never seen such worthless assistance in my life.

HotelUser
23-06-2011, 02:50 PM
It's legit. Anyone saying to the contrary has a complete lack of basic reasoning skills. They know your ~computer~ serial number thus it is legit. Dell is huge and bloated it's no wonder you get 100 different responses.

Honestly you guys are all jokes. Literally jokes I have never seen such worthless assistance in my life.

The phone number you Googled and maturely replied saying was legit was part of the web chat, not phone call that Richard got so looks like you're all jokes too Mr. Positive.

peteyt
23-06-2011, 02:51 PM

So you'd happily let someone come over and sort your pc out without confirming he worked for who he claimed. Shame on you.

It sounds legit, but it is always best to be safe and get things clearly checked out and confirmed. It's easy to spoof an email address and with all the leaks that have been going on with email addresses and databases (Just check the post on Luz Security on here) it's not impossible to have had the data stolen, it has happened before and will definitely happen again.

RockyHorror
23-06-2011, 04:03 PM
If a technician does turn up, ask for official documentation to prove he works for Dell, if he doesn't shut door. simples.

GommeInc
23-06-2011, 04:24 PM
omg lol
It looks like Cleverbot has got itself a job with Dell :P

There's a high chance it's a legitimate call. Loads of organisations use Private Numbers if you're getting a direct call from an engineer or a member of staff. They do this so you do not end up getting caught up in a web of telephone calls from a base number e.g. customer services is 08000 000000 but someone is calling from 08000 00000045. Although, saying that, usually you get private calls from solicitors or doctors if they're phoning directly from their office phone, so it is a bit odd. It seems plausible though if they have all these details.

Flisker
24-06-2011, 12:23 AM

It looks like Cleverbot has got itself a job with Dell :P

There's a high chance it's a legitimate call. Loads of organisations use Private Numbers if you're getting a direct call from an engineer or a member of staff. They do this so you do not end up getting caught up in a web of telephone calls from a base number e.g. customer services is 08000 000000 but someone is calling from 08000 00000045. Although, saying that, usually you get private calls from solicitors or doctors if they're phoning directly from their office phone, so it is a bit odd. It seems plausible though if they have all these details.

When I got phone calls from a company I was trying to get an apprenticeship with their number always came up as private or unknown. It could be something to do with their VoIP system. So companies who phone you and it showing up as Private or Unknown could well be legit since it could simply be a fault with the set-up of their VoIP system.

The Don
24-06-2011, 12:51 AM
This thread screams paranoia, if he knew all that information the only plausible answer is that this is legit.

Agnostic Bear
24-06-2011, 02:25 AM
The phone number you Googled and maturely replied saying was legit was part of the web chat, not phone call that Richard got so looks like you're all jokes too Mr. Positive.

Congratulations, they use a different number to phone out than they do in. Well done Mr. Clever.

Try thinking more than 2 steps ahead before attempting to show me up. It doesn't work. I think of everything before replying.

It is clearly a legit thing as he knows far too much information for it to be a scam, plus the fact their phone support give you 12 different answers shows they're clearly not organised and as a result not to be trusted. Also this is a thing that has happened in the states and someone I know from IRC has personally experienced.

It is legit, stop being so paranoid and get it done before your motherboard shorts and you have to pay for it yourself, because Dell wont be kind twice.

HotelUser
24-06-2011, 02:33 AM
Congratulations, they use a different number to phone out than they do in. Well done Mr. Clever.

Try thinking more than 2 steps ahead before attempting to show me up. It doesn't work. I think of everything before replying.

It is clearly a legit thing as he knows far too much information for it to be a scam, plus the fact their phone support give you 12 different answers shows they're clearly not organised and as a result not to be trusted. Also this is a thing that has happened in the states and someone I know from IRC has personally experienced.

It is legit, stop being so paranoid and get it done before your motherboard shorts and you have to pay for it yourself, because Dell wont be kind twice.

Do you? As reason to justify it as valid your initial reply to the thread was reassurance that this wasn't a scam because the phone number in the OP's post appears as a legitimate Dell number on Google. However the phone number the OP specified in his original post was unaffiliated with the suspicious phone call he received therefore your mentioning of it at all is completely redundant. (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cocky)

Agnostic Bear
24-06-2011, 02:39 AM
Do you? As reason to justify it as valid your initial reply to the thread was reassurance that this wasn't a scam because the phone number in the OP's post appears as a legitimate Dell number on Google. However the phone number the OP specified in his original post was unaffiliated with the suspicious phone call he received therefore your mentioning of it at all is completely redundant. (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cocky)

Welp. I didn't reply to the OP :(

You appear to be visibly upset that my stylings are well formed and helpful whilst being as short as possible.

HotelUser
24-06-2011, 02:41 AM
This thread screams paranoia, if he knew all that information the only plausible answer is that this is legit.

Quite probably right :)

Welp. I didn't reply to the OP :(

You appear to be visibly upset that my stylings are well formed and helpful whilst being as short as possible.

Actually when it comes to your replies, I have never seen such worthless assistance in my life.

Agnostic Bear
24-06-2011, 02:43 AM
Actually when it comes to your replies, I have never seen such worthless assistance in my life.

Stop getting so angry my friend, my replies are full of the richest, most succulent helpings of assistance ever seen on this forum, you just have to be calm, look at it objectively and see that I give people exactly what they need and nothing more.

Richie
27-06-2011, 03:38 PM
I received a phone call from the same man again confirming the date I requested a service number and then rang dell and they confirmed it is genuine, they really need to inform their staff in the future, I was told to call the police, luckily i didn't. I'm still taking precautions when the dell tech comes out on Monday I will be requesting dell identification.

Jay.
27-06-2011, 05:12 PM
I had this 2 months ago and I ignored it. A month later my motherboard failed and it's now been replaced. The technician came and done it in my house too, but I'm not sure if this is the same situation as you as mine was an inspiron.

Richie
27-06-2011, 07:52 PM
I had this 2 months ago and I ignored it. A month later my motherboard failed and it's now been replaced. The technician came and done it in my house too, but I'm not sure if this is the same situation as you as mine was an inspiron.

Yeah I think it's the same problem man, inspirons, xps and alienware comps, is yours fairly new or old?

HotelUser
27-06-2011, 08:24 PM
I received a phone call from the same man again confirming the date I requested a service number and then rang dell and they confirmed it is genuine, they really need to inform their staff in the future, I was told to call the police, luckily i didn't. I'm still taking precautions when the dell tech comes out on Monday I will be requesting dell identification.

Glad to hear it was legitimate, did you even experience any problems with your mobo?

Richie
27-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Glad to hear it was legitimate, did you even experience any problems with your mobo?

In the past I had graphics problems but that's it. If anything messes up I'll ask them to fix it as I still have warranty. Thanks for all the advice guys i'll keep you all up to date with the replacement on monday.

Jay.
28-06-2011, 04:35 PM
Mines 6 months old so not that old, it's my dads now but the technician was really nice and it was replaced within like 30 mins. Also he fixed my missing key as I lost the parts to the key and he just said don't worry I'll put a new one on ;P They're really nice.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!