PDA

View Full Version : BT Broadband

Luke
24-06-2011, 08:48 AM
We're looking at changing Broadband providers; been searching around, and we've narrowed it down to BT and O2.
Now, with O2, you get a speedtouch router - ew. With BT, you get the new HomeHub, which looks pretty cool tbf.

At the moment, I get fluctuating speeds, between 3.5-4.5meg
With O2, their speed checker gave me between 4-6 meg, at most likely 5meg.
With BT, it gave me 5.5-7.5 most likely at 6.5!

Not believing BT, I done a line check on a house I defintiley know, gets a solid 2meg, and it came up 2meg, so the speed checker isn't lying..

I don't use torrents, so is there any other reason I shouldn't go with BT?

Luke

Chippiewill
24-06-2011, 09:54 AM
You want to go with Virgin Media, service with BT is pretty piss poor but it seems like the best option here if VM isn't a choice.

davecool656
24-06-2011, 10:13 AM
go with Virgin Media. I have BT and it is crap

Luke
24-06-2011, 10:23 AM
We're not in a cable area; and upon inquiring, their service was capped at 10gb!?! O2 it is then!

Chippiewill
24-06-2011, 10:32 AM
We're not in a cable area; and upon inquiring, their service was capped at 10gb!?! O2 it is then!
That sucks, I couldn't live without VM now, 50mbits makes me feel like a god.

Luke
24-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Thanks for reminding me. :[ Not even getting Infinity in the next 2 years :/

Jack!
24-06-2011, 11:26 AM
That sucks, I couldn't live without VM now, 50mbits makes me feel like a god.

So what does that make me on 100mbits? :P

That's a shame about VM, 02 probably sounds like someone I would go with, Shame about your speeds though :( BT only give 10gb?!

jackass
24-06-2011, 02:52 PM
In my opinion, BT Infinity > VM. Consistant speeds of 40Mbits download, 10Mbits upload AND i've had very great service from them.

Yeah, VM generally have a faster download, but the upload is very poor and i'd like to keep my 5ms latency!

peteyt
24-06-2011, 03:55 PM
I'm with o2 at home and it's pretty decent. The router isn't that bad and to be honest as long as it works should it mater what router you get.

I've however just had Bt broadband set up in my studio but that's the business version and its just been activated today so haven't been able to test it.

Chippiewill
24-06-2011, 06:28 PM
So what does that make me on 100mbits? :P
Glutton.

Yeah, VM generally have a faster download, but the upload is very poor and i'd like to keep my 5ms latency!
They've been upgrading it, it's still not great but you don't really need that great upload speed unless you're serving web pages or something anyway.

Recursion
24-06-2011, 07:11 PM
The speedtouch is almost exactly the same router as the HomeHub, but BT modify the HomeHub to their needs.

We haven't had many issues with BT at all and our broadband hasn't gone down for a long period of time once since we got it a few years ago (I think it was probably our router crashing for the shorter periods :P).

Also BT isn't capped at 10GB? We're on Option 3 (Unlimited*) ADSL and it USED to be 100GB per month, but a few months ago they upped it to 300GB.

Latency on BT for us has been superb, I can happily game on servers around the globe.

We're stuck on ADSL2+ too because we're fairly rural, so no cable or anything for us yet :P

Luke
24-06-2011, 09:23 PM
For the same price as O2 (and i get it cheaper cause i've got a contract with them), i can get more tbf. Don't wanna be paying £20+ for broadband |: And same: ADSL2+ how I love the outskirts of County Durham. and the reason I don't like the speedtouch is because of port forwarding.. I find it alot more complicated to do than with my Netgear, and it's harder to get NAT type 1 or 2 on consoles, cause of all the security etc :/

peteyt
24-06-2011, 10:18 PM
For the same price as O2 (and i get it cheaper cause i've got a contract with them), i can get more tbf. Don't wanna be paying £20+ for broadband |: And same: ADSL2+ how I love the outskirts of County Durham. and the reason I don't like the speedtouch is because of port forwarding.. I find it alot more complicated to do than with my Netgear, and it's harder to get NAT type 1 or 2 on consoles, cause of all the security etc :/

The port forward on the o2 Wireless box isn't easy but www.portforward.com offers support for 99 percent of all routers and have software you can purchase to do it easier.

Flisker
25-06-2011, 08:47 AM
I'm with BT at the moment, I think their service is brilliant, I have never had any network related disconnections only disconnections because of a faulty wire that was 30+ years old and needed replacing. I phoned them up spoke to an English woman over the phone, she went through some possible fixes over the phone with me and it didn't help so she booked a BT Engineer and he came round a fixed it.

I still don't know how Tom is on ADSL2+ with only 8Mb/s connection but I'm on ITU-T G.992.1 (ADSL) in a rural area and only get 8Mb/s.

But in conclusion, I would definitely recommend BT Broadband to anyone :)

orientalframe?
25-06-2011, 08:58 AM
BT Infinity in my opinion is poor, the speeds are consistantly low unless theres a literal miracle of 10 seconds being click fast.

Recursion
25-06-2011, 09:20 AM
BT Infinity in my opinion is poor, the speeds are consistantly low unless theres a literal miracle of 10 seconds being click fast.

Since when? All I've heard is good things about Infinity.

orientalframe?
25-06-2011, 09:48 AM
Since when? All I've heard is good things about Infinity.

Since we (I) upgraded a couple of weeks ago. Though that is probably because we didn't have the right lead to connect at the time, as its red I think, so we just shoved any red lead into the hub. I mean it works perfectly fine, its just not as fast as it says nor worth the extra money.. :S

jackass
25-06-2011, 11:28 AM
So what your saying is, you found it poor because of a mistake with the wiring that YOU made? :P

I've had Infinity for almost a year now, and it has been consistently fast and reliable. When gaming, I literally always have the best ping on the server too. Crazy!

Flisker
25-06-2011, 11:35 AM
So what your saying is, you found it poor because of a mistake with the wiring that YOU made? :P

I've had Infinity for almost a year now, and it has been consistently fast and reliable. When gaming, I literally always have the best ping on the server too. Crazy!

Infinity has been out that long already? Time flies.

HarrySX
25-06-2011, 12:04 PM
BT is fantastic. Don't settle for the cruddy oversold Virgin Media lines, you'll only regret it when your speed is throttled etc.

Often BT is a little more expensive but you should expect to pay more and get quality, along with the service advertised, rather than the cheaper low end likes of VM.

Recursion
25-06-2011, 12:09 PM
Do Virgin use BT Wholesale on their ADSL installs?

HarrySX
25-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Do Virgin use BT Wholesale on their ADSL installs?

If the customer is in an area where there isn't Virgin cabling then yes, they'll use the BT kit :).

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!