PDA

View Full Version : Getting an old CRT style TV to work with computer?

awelsh
24-06-2011, 05:04 PM
Hi,

Me and a few mates are having a spare room soon so were going to make a dancing stage machine to put in there (Basically some kind of large stand, PS2 + various dancing stage games and also two full metal dance mats with the bars at the back etc)

So, the TV being used is an old 24" CRT one weve got lying around. Using this because:

1. Its free
2. I also have time crisis and the guns only work on the old style TV's

So other than the PS2 im also going to hook up an old PC installed with stepmania so was wondering how this would work?

The TV has the normal scart cables in the back, along with the yellow,red,white cables at the front and also has an S-VIDEO port on there.

Getting the audio setup is also another factor, weve got 2 pretty large speakers which we use to plug into ipods etc through an aux cable (the speakers have a built in amp) so I was wondering how to get these as the primary sound for both the PS2 and the PC without having the hassle of swapping cables over etc as were looking into basically making the machine into a rep of the arcade versions over time so would not be easy to swap wires etc all the time.

Thanks, and hopefully you understand :P

HarrySX
24-06-2011, 05:08 PM
I guess something like this? http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=vga+to+scart#q=vga+to+scart&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=eMQETrTBPMrAhAeQn5TcDQ&ved=0CDUQrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=f7643aedd03f4b4a&biw=1600&bih=809 :).

awelsh
24-06-2011, 05:45 PM
I guess something like this? http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=vga+to+scart#q=vga+to+scart&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=eMQETrTBPMrAhAeQn5TcDQ&ved=0CDUQrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=f7643aedd03f4b4a&biw=1600&bih=809 :).

Thanks, any ideas on the audio problem ive got also? Using a splitter of some sort would half the volume wouldnt it?

Recursion
24-06-2011, 07:13 PM
Thanks, any ideas on the audio problem ive got also? Using a splitter of some sort would half the volume wouldnt it?

You'd want a VGA to composite (yellow) lead, then get a 3.5mm to stereo phono (red/white) for audio, then get a composite (red/white/yellow) to scart lead for the TV end.

N!ck
24-06-2011, 10:34 PM
I'd use s-video to connect the PC to the TV. Just get a graphics card with an s-video on it.

Using your speakers, audio should be trivial with the PC.

For the PS2, use the RCA cable and atatch the red and white cables to some sort of converter and connect it to the speakers, or if you have a proper PS2 scart lead like I had, there was a port on the cable to connect the audio separately (red and white RCA connections again).

awelsh
25-06-2011, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the help :)

Basicall we ditched the idea of having the PC there and have decided instead to just pick up cheap copys of all the dancing stage games for PS1 + PS2 along with some japan versions that will be played through swapmagic :)

So simply TV hooked up to PS2, having the red + white cables going instead to the speaker amp rather than the TV and the job is done :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!