PDA

View Full Version : Firewall / Anti-viral software

OhLiam
24-06-2011, 08:36 PM
Hey, I bought my laptop 6months ago and it came with McAfee which so far as been good but it expires really soon, so was wondering if anyone knew any good free software which is as good/better than McAfee. If I can't find one I will end up paying to renew but don't really want to spend anything if there is good software out there.

Thanks to anyone who replies :), I'd also rather it be legal as I can't really use illegal stuff on my laptop.

Nemo
24-06-2011, 08:56 PM
Microsoft Security Essentials
Malwarebytes

Enjoy.

Mark
24-06-2011, 09:26 PM
I think avast! free is still good.

peteyt
24-06-2011, 10:16 PM
I use BitDefender not to bad but not free and can kind of play up occasionally.

AVG can be okay and Malwarebytes is the best for malware.

Kyle
24-06-2011, 10:39 PM
Malwarebytes and NOD32 =D

AgnesIO
24-06-2011, 10:43 PM
AVG Free + Malwarebytes

What is the issue with illegal? Is it the downloading, or a work computer os something? If it is just that you cannot download due to your provider or something, I have keys for AVG full internet security 2011 - so the only thing you would need to download is the avg is 2011 trial.

xxMATTGxx
24-06-2011, 10:45 PM
Free:

Microsoft Security Essentials & Malwarebytes

Both work just fine and I've had no problems!

Jack!
25-06-2011, 08:39 AM
Free:

Microsoft Security Essentials & Malwarebytes

Both work just fine and I've had no problems!

This.

used it since MSE was released, never had a problem.

RyRy
25-06-2011, 08:45 AM
Free: Spybot S&D paid: ESET NOD32.

******* immense programs, ESET is worth it.

Lol at who said bitdefender btw... More like ****defender

OhLiam
25-06-2011, 10:39 AM
AVG Free + Malwarebytes

What is the issue with illegal? Is it the downloading, or a work computer os something? If it is just that you cannot download due to your provider or something, I have keys for AVG full internet security 2011 - so the only thing you would need to download is the avg is 2011 trial.
Yeah the laptop I use is mine however as I use it for work it gets checked on a regular basis so downloading anything which is illegal is just a no no for me atm :p

I think I will use Microsoft Security Essentials & Malwarebytes thanks everyone :)!

Recursion
25-06-2011, 12:20 PM
Windows Firewall
Common Sense

peteyt
25-06-2011, 03:53 PM
Windows Firewall
Common Sense

Not really a fan of windows firewall. I like to be warned when all unknown programs e.g. new installed programs try to connect to the net, then anything that shouldn't can be easily blocked e.g. spyware programs that might have accidentally been installed or came hidden with another program.

I just find Windows Firewall too basic.

Agnostic Bear
25-06-2011, 03:54 PM
Windows Firewall
Common Sense

This is literally the best thing.

Not really a fan of windows firewall. I like to be warned when all unknown programs e.g. new installed programs try to connect to the net, then anything that shouldn't can be easily blocked e.g. spyware programs that might have accidentally been installed or came hidden with another program.

I just find Windows Firewall too basic.

Windows Firewall is pretty much the best there is, you just have to know how to edit it properly, all the settings are hidden away in the admin backend.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!