PDA

View Full Version : The new Euro Palace costing £280m.. as economies collapse around Europe

-:Undertaker:-
25-06-2011, 12:35 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2007691/Eurozone-debt-crisis-poses-biggest-threat-UKs-financial-stability-warns-financial-watchdog.html

WHAT AUSTERITY? A NEW £280m HQ FOR EUROCRATS

David Cameron accused EU leaders of wanting to live in a ‘gilded cage’ yesterday after Brussels bosses raised two fingers to austerity by laying out plans for a lavish new headquarters costing £280million. The Prime Minister and other EU leaders were presented with an expensive brochure about the building as they were discussing the need for austerity at a summit dinner on Thursday night. Computer generated images show a womb-like glass structure, dubbed the ‘EUterus’, and an enormous circular summit chamber resembling the war room in the film Dr Strangelove.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/06/25/article-2007691-0CB66F8200000578-317_456x520.jpg

Mr Cameron told Eurocrats they ‘just don’t get’ the need for austerity after it emerged that the European Commission was spending £100,000 of taxpayers’ money on the 16-page pamphlet alone. It features Euro-gobbledygook saying the building – expected to be in use by 2014 – will be ‘a patchwork of European diversity . . . housing the heart of Europe’, with achingly right-on areas such as ‘humane gathering places’.

Mr Cameron said there was no need for a new summit building and expressed disgust that EU officials were wasting money promoting their own ‘grandiose schemes’ rather than tackling Europe’s economic woes. ‘It’s important, whether it’s at the national level or the European level, that politicians aren’t sitting in some gilded cage,’ he added.

Some animals are more equal than others, but apart from it costing a lot of money at a time when the 'strong' economies cannot afford it (let alone the people themselves wanting it) they could have at least picked a nice design which could be used for something once the EU and the Euro are history.. its bland, grey and expensive, just like the people who run the EU as well as the organisation itself.

Mr Cameron may make these comments to cater to the press and thus the public, but what is he going to do about it? a very simple answer would be to leave, but even if you don't wish to leave there's a very good reason for not paying the EU a single penny more - it's accounts have not been audited for the past 16 years. Any normal company which ran like this, well the owners would be in prison right now.

Another note, its understood that Buckingham Palace needs urgent repairs and the government has been uneasy about giving it anything in the name of 'cuts' - so here you have it, our own Head of State and our own national historical buildings are being put second to the dreams of the EU in creating its hideous stamp on Europe.

Time to leave the mad house, thoughts?

Recursion
25-06-2011, 01:00 PM
This is ridiculous, as you say if this was a business they'd have been put in prison long ago... trouble is by the time we can get out of the EU Labour will be back and we'll be back to square one.

Chippiewill
25-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Really, Cameron should have just asked for the £10,000 that came from the British for the booklet back. Waste of money, waste of resources and a waste of time. We should just cut how much we pay to the EU by however much they spend on this hyper-bloated project.

dbgtz
25-06-2011, 01:33 PM
The London olympic tower looks nicer than that. What's the point of such an ugly yet expensive building that few people will really use when people are actually homeless. Surely they could spend the same amount of money to build some sort of free accomodation for people? Isn't that what they're supposed to do? Take money from EU countries then invest it in poorer ones so that their people are better off and are on a much more equal level with higher economies? Or something like that. This benefits no one and is a complete waste of money.

alexxxxx
25-06-2011, 02:08 PM
you really have to question the timing of this, handing out a booklet about a new building when leaders are meeting to discuss Greece/Portugal etc.. One of my disappointments of the EU is to neglect to take on austerity measures and making efficiency savings as member states' budgets are cut. Pressure has to be put on the EU parliament to stop any increase in spending.

Though if the final cost of this project (if it is undertaken) is cheaper then the Scottish Parliament building..

GommeInc
25-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Hopefully it's made out of recyclable resources so that when the EU eventually crashes to the ground the building(s) can be turned into something useful, like statues of the people who come up with these ideas hanging from a metal rope with an "arrow of Europe" piercing their huge, bloated bodies. Something creative and sums up the views of many people :P

Mathew
25-06-2011, 03:28 PM
I was about to post this in the other thread regarding David Cameron's refusal to give any more money to Greece. Are we finally going in the right direction, along with his "oh-so-senior one" wishing to pull out from the EU?

This is ridiculous, as you say if this was a business they'd have been put in prison long ago... trouble is by the time we can get out of the EU Labour will be back and we'll be back to square one.
True. So true.

AgnesIO
25-06-2011, 03:33 PM
The worst thing about this is, if that is a part of the building, it is HORRIBLE.

Palace to me is old, gold, stone and big.

Not Glass crappy design stuff

-:Undertaker:-
25-06-2011, 04:29 PM
The worst thing about this is, if that is a part of the building, it is HORRIBLE.

Palace to me is old, gold, stone and big.

Not Glass crappy design stuff

Well it's not offically a Palace, but these people think of themselves as royalty so its quite fitting. :P

AgnesIO
25-06-2011, 04:45 PM
Well it's not offically a Palace, but these people think of themselves as royalty so its quite fitting. :P

Even then it is hideous :L

Lee
25-06-2011, 05:39 PM
Stupid idea, I like the look but I don't like the idea at all.

DPS
30-06-2011, 09:26 PM
It's ugly, but i love how goverments like to waste money ;/

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!