PDA

View Full Version : Help with Multiplayer

Pigperson
05-07-2011, 08:08 PM
I'm a noob ok :D

How do you set up a server for multiplayer, I downloaded the server program that the site suggested but what do I do now?

Also anyone up for multiplayer, I wanna see what it's like :D

Will

Adam
06-07-2011, 09:50 AM
You need a server...

Pigperson
06-07-2011, 10:18 PM
You need a server...

Well that's kinda obvious when it says you need to connect to a server to play :S

I said I downloaded the server program that was on the site but what now, or what do I do instead. Tbh, you could at least tell me how to get a server...

Will

Adam
06-07-2011, 10:26 PM
If you don't know how to get a server then this project of yours will be a complete failure. Look, I'm an honest person and I tell people the truth. You need to be able to know how to get a server, work a server, maintain a server and incorporate code into your server so it runs properly... thus having to know Java so you can sort out problems when needs be.

It's not as simple as downloading and uploading a file, you need to learn things and it's not easy and it's not a quick process. I suggest you look up some Java tutorials and some simple server tutorials and then I'm sure there's some tutorials about setting up a Minecraft server as each game's server set up will be different.

Like I said, it's not easy and unless you're actually willing to learn and put time in, don't bother.

Pigperson
07-07-2011, 07:10 PM
All I wanted to know is that it requires a lot of knowledge :D Thanks. I'll just look for other multiplayer servers to play on.

Will

Coupet
07-07-2011, 09:29 PM
OP are you wanting to set the server up on your PC? You can play on my server (I've not publically promoted it yet as it's only been set up and we need some builds). I'll message you the IP if you would like.

lTraditional
07-07-2011, 09:31 PM
There two ways you can do this:

- Purchase a server from a game server host and get more control with plugins etc.
- Set up one yourself using the connection from your computer.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Tutorials/Setting_up_a_server explains how to do this as I am to lazy atm.
Otherwise you can google a game server host - it is up to you!

Coupet
07-07-2011, 09:36 PM
This was what I did when setting up a server on PC:

Coupet
07-07-2011, 09:55 PM

Download the Server pack, click the Server exe, it'll create a load of files like banned, banned-ips, admins, users etc.

Go into server properties and you'll see something like

#Minecraft server properties
#Thu Jul 07 22:46:34 BST 2011
verify-names=true
admin-slot=false
port=25565
public=true
server-name=Minecraft Server
max-players=16
max-connections=3
motd=Welcome to my Minecraft Server\!
grow-trees=false
Add server-ip= (to the file)

Download Hamachi and create an account, it'll assign that account an IP.
http://i51.tinypic.com/34yb5g6.png

Put the IP next to the server-ip=. Close and save.

Open up Minecraft, click multiplayer and type in the IP (from Hamachi and your server properties).
If it doesn't work, try and add :25565 to the end.

This should work, it did for me on an older version of the server pack.

(I couldn't edit the above post because I ran out of time, I'm extremely sorry).

There are various websites that show you how to assign more RAM to your server.

Adam
08-07-2011, 03:29 PM

Download the Server pack, click the Server exe, it'll create a load of files like banned, banned-ips, admins, users etc.

Open up Minecraft, click multiplayer and type in the IP (from Hamachi and your server properties).

(I couldn't edit the above post because I ran out of time, I'm extremely sorry).

And that might be easy for you but for someone who doesn't know what they're doing... be fair to the guy he won't understand that.

Coupet
09-07-2011, 09:23 AM
I'd happily help him over MSN/Teamviewer.

Pigperson
09-07-2011, 11:31 PM

Thanks, I'll try out this method.

And that might be easy for you but for someone who doesn't know what they're doing... be fair to the guy he won't understand that.

Btw I do understand, it's similar to the ways people made habbo retros.

Will

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!