PDA

View Full Version : Your opinions needed! Free shoutcast

jjgalaxy12
05-07-2011, 10:25 PM
Hi,

I recently signed a new sponsorship deal with opensplash to offer free web hosting.
I was wondering if offering free shoutcast (Limited stock e.g 50 Per Month) would be a good idea
I would offer this as free for life but with a setup fee of about £1-1.50 (So its not overloaded)
What would be your opinions on this, Would it be worth it, Is there a market for free shoutcast
Let me know your thoughts but please don't comment on other idea's. Please post a new reply without any quotes or relations to other reply's (So i can see everyones ideas individually)
Everyone will be rewarded with rep for your idea's

Kind Regards
Jon

Thread moved by Oleh (Forum Moderator): from Web Hosts as I feel it more suited here

Jack!
06-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Hi,

I recently signed a new sponsorship deal with opensplash to offer free web hosting.
I was wondering if offering free shoutcast (Limited stock e.g 50 Per Month) would be a good idea
I would offer this as free for life but with a setup fee of about £1-1.50 (So its not overloaded)
What would be your opinions on this, Would it be worth it, Is there a market for free shoutcast
Let me know your thoughts but please don't comment on other idea's. Please post a new reply without any quotes or relations to other reply's (So i can see everyones ideas individually)
Everyone will be rewarded with rep for your idea's

Kind Regards
Jon

Thread moved by Oleh (Forum Moderator): from Web Hosts as I feel it more suited here

There is always a market for free stuff, just be careful, because if people are streaming without an PPL (I think its called that) Licence, then you can both get in to trouble, but it is unlikely that they chase it up, due to the fact its a free service they know if they do decide to sue for copyright they wont get anything out of it.

hamheyelliot
06-07-2011, 11:24 AM
There's a market for anything free, just not a very profitable one :P

You would need to make sure you've got a firm way of staying put if you were going to give away these traffic heavy shoutcasts and keep them reliable. Advertisers will probably be less keen because of the fact your visitors are here to not pay for something as well.

If you can pull it off better than the handful of pretty rubbish services that do this, hats off to you. But the longevity of this sort of thing is usually grim.

Mark
06-07-2011, 12:11 PM
Go for it! I wouldn't mind paying the small fee for one, PM me when they're on offer?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!