PDA

View Full Version : Denmark sees sense and calls curtains on EU open borders

-:Undertaker:-
06-07-2011, 02:46 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2011618/Brussels-penalises-UK-museums-firms-councils-500k-flying-EU-flag.html

Denmark slams the door on free movement within the EU as the Danes become fed up with having no border controls against illegal immigration and cross-border criminal gangs

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/07/05/article-2011618-0CDFA67800000578-147_468x312.jpg
Stop and search: Danish officers check a vechicle at the German-Danish border as border controls are reinstated following influx of crime and disorder.

The EU’s flagship commitment to free movement was ‘in tatters’ last night as Denmark imposed border controls to keep out criminals and illegal immigrants from other parts of Europe. The nation was accused of breaching the Schengen treaty, which allows free movement of goods and people and includes all EU member states except Britain and Ireland.

Denmark deployed extra 50 customs officers at crossings with Germany and Sweden yesterday, saying the move was needed to fight border-hopping criminals and illegal immigrants within the Schengen zone. A further 50 officers will be added by the end of the year. German holidaymakers were urged to boycott Denmark in protest. Alexander Alvaro, a German member of the European Parliament, called Denmark’s move ‘a backward roll’ which ‘endangers the cohesion of the European Union’.

The European Commission said Denmark risks contravening the terms of the 25-nation passport-free Schengen zone, and was monitoring the move. Just 24 hours earlier, the Netherlands threatened to deport Eastern Europeans who cannot find work.

Nigel Farage, leader of the UK Independence Party, said the developments left the Schengen treaty ‘in tatters’. He urged the Prime Minister to use the situation to demand concessions for Britain. He said: ‘If David Cameron genuinely wanted to stand up to Brussels now would be the perfect time. The two crowning achievements of the EU are meant to be the single currency and the Schengen agreement. The first is in the deepest crisis imaginable and the Danes have torn up the second.’

Denmark’s centre-right coalition agreed to toughen border controls last week following pressure from its anti-immigration ally the Danish People’s Party. Finance minister Claus Hjort-Frederiksen said: ‘We have seen too many examples of violence, break-ins and brutal criminality committed by perpetrators who have crossed our borders.’

Good on the Danes and the Danish politicians for finally using some common sense in that you need border controls to protect from illegal immigrants and criminal gangs. This was always hailed as one of the great things about the EU, I never thought it that great because I personally don't have a problem with showing my passport when entering a different country (ironically enough, those who support open borders on here are the same people who support surrendering their civil liberties ie DNA, fingerprinting in the name of 'security') as I see the need for a country having border controls when it has a differing legal system to the country next door.

But with anyluck, with the oncoming crisis which could finish off the failed Euro currency, this will only hasten the collapse of the European Union and good riddance at that. It just goes to show, many countries with electorates with different needs under one system does not work - the prime reason why the EU would never even work as a single state.

Thoughts? is Denmark right to secure its borders once more against criminal gangs and illegal immigrants?

Kaytti
06-07-2011, 05:41 AM
Good for the Danes!
This free movement is more trouble than it's worth.

'Just 24 hours earlier, the Netherlands threatened to deport Eastern Europeans who cannot find work.'
See we don't really have that problem. They just take our work.

I really wish we could follow suit but Britian is easier to get into than, I did insert something crude then, I'll change ... than a pair of double doors, with a huge vacuum on the other side... If only we could be strict like Australia. If only.

Chippiewill
06-07-2011, 10:31 AM
I like this because:

a) It puts the EU where they're meant to be, suggesting things not forcing them.
b) It creates jobs.
c) Hopefully David Cameron will make some sort of serious move now.

GommeInc
06-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Denmark probably need it more than us - they're surrounded by other countries! We only have a handful of entrances on one side of the country :P They've taken one of two routes anyway, they've upped their borders rather than let people in and then force them to work. The previous one is the cheaper option in the long run which is what they need given the fact they're a part of the EU and being leeched upon like any other country associated with the continent :P

The Don
06-07-2011, 02:03 PM
The nation was accused of breaching the Schengen treaty, which allows free movement of goods and people and includes all EU member states except Britain and Ireland.

I'm confused, I thought every EU state had open borders?

Jordy
06-07-2011, 06:41 PM
I'm confused, I thought every EU state had open borders?They do, with a Passport you can travel to any EU country and work there. Countries signed up to the Schengen Agreement (Everyone in the EU as well Switzerland and Iceland but not UK/Ireland) can move between these countries without border checks I believe.

For instance if we were part of it, you could just hop on a plane to anywhere in the EU or a ferry to France without going through border checks. However this works the other way and means all the illegal immigrants in France etc could just come over here without much problem.

The reason we're not part of it (Yet) is because we're part of the Common Travel Area which allows you to travel within Ireland, UK, Channel Islands and the Isle of Man without a passport since 1922.

FlyingJesus
06-07-2011, 07:19 PM
Why would you wanna illegally move to Denmark anyway it's something like 8 euros a beer over there

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!