PDA

View Full Version : Facebook gets video calling

xxMATTGxx
06-07-2011, 05:41 PM
Facebook and Skype are in a partnership to bring video calling to facebook. The announcement said it should be released sometime today.

http://mattgarner.net/upload/images/1310034246.png

It ain't the first time Mark Zuckerberg has taken the stage to announce... something, but today's shindig is resulting in "something" that's a bit more exciting for the average user. As rumored, the world's most notable VoIP service is set to become exceedingly integrated with the world's most notable social network. Skype has just thrown up a teaser page for v5.3 for Windows (and v5.5 Beta), noting that Skype and Facebook will aim to provide "the best of both worlds."

Zuck is primarily announcing three main things today: group chat, a new way to chat ("an easier way to find someone who is online") and Skype-enabled video chat. Oh, and the tiny, tiny fact that there's now 750 million Facebook members. What's notable is just how easy it is to fire up a group chat (or send transcripts to group members who miss out) and get a video call going using your existing Skype contact list. A single click is all it takes, and we're told that it'll be rolled out to everyone "over the next few weeks" in 70 different languages. The new chat design will be scalable based on your browser size, and the company made a point to mention that it'll be listening closely to user input in order to iterate as it moves forward.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/06/skype-comes-to-facebook-and-facebook-comes-to-skype/

http://www.facebook.com/facebooklive?sk=app_127337483972992&app_data=facebookannouncements:undefined

Although Facebooks video calling won't support the 10 people like Google+ does, at the moment it's just a 1 and 1 video conversation.

Richie
06-07-2011, 05:50 PM
I think they need to sort out their corrupt live chat before they start adding bigger additions. Good find though.

GoldenMerc
06-07-2011, 05:50 PM
Intresting, looks good.

xxMATTGxx
06-07-2011, 06:08 PM
Here's what it looks like after you have installed the plugin if you need it (some java thing):

http://mattgarner.net/upload/images/1310017590.png

Also;

Skype 5.5 Beta for Windows offers the following new features:

See Facebook friends in your Skype contact list
Instant message with your Facebook friends
Easier, smarter call controls

Chris
06-07-2011, 06:14 PM
Looks interesting, I'll certainly try it out! Thanks for posting. :D

Jordy
06-07-2011, 06:30 PM
I'm now using Facebook one-to-one Video Chat (Don't think group chat has been rolled out to me yet). It's very simple to use but you have to install a .exe the first time you use it.

There's literally just a "Call" button and you launch into a call, there's no other options or pissing about :P

xxMATTGxx
06-07-2011, 06:41 PM
I'm now using Facebook one-to-one Video Chat (Don't think group chat has been rolled out to me yet). It's very simple to use but you have to install a .exe the first time you use it.

There's literally just a "Call" button and you launch into a call, there's no other options or pissing about :P

I don't think group chat was even announced, it may be coming at a later stage. What makes wonder is, how many people would be able to go into a facebook group video chat? It's using skype and at the moment current free users can have at least two people on cam I think? Hmm

Google+ currently supports 10 people in one video chat so we will have to see.

Jordy
06-07-2011, 06:51 PM
I don't think group chat was even announced, it may be coming at a later stage. What makes wonder is, how many people would be able to go into a facebook group video chat? It's using skype and at the moment current free users can have at least two people on cam I think? Hmm

Google+ currently supports 10 people in one video chat so we will have to see.Oh the group chat is only text based I believe :( It's sort of been released months back anyway as if you're part of a Facebook group you can chat with all members part of it currently online.

Has anyone else got the new UI and Video Chat yet?

Google+ definitely has the edge here but let's face it, no one will ever use it and no one really uses a Google account for anything other than Mail (I know I do but the majority don't).

peteyt
06-07-2011, 07:19 PM
Oh the group chat is only text based I believe :( It's sort of been released months back anyway as if you're part of a Facebook group you can chat with all members part of it currently online.

Has anyone else got the new UI and Video Chat yet?

Google+ definitely has the edge here but let's face it, no one will ever use it and no one really uses a Google account for anything other than Mail (I know I do but the majority don't).

Yeah pretty much true.

The problem with Google + is everyone's on Facebook. I mentioned in the Google + post previously how easily it could be for Facebook to take on Google + by just taking the good features as they already have the user base, and I can definitely say this deal with Skype is no coincidence

Slowpoke
06-07-2011, 08:55 PM
Loving the multiple chat windows. Seems much less buggy than the old versions aswell!

Nattie
07-07-2011, 12:51 PM
Looks nice! :)

GommeInc
07-07-2011, 01:22 PM
I don't use Facebook chat as it's hopeless compared to Google Talk or any other messenger client, so this doesn't really affect me. It's just a novelty having video calls, but if Facebook can do it properly then good for them - that is of course, Facebook actually do something properly for once :P Chat has always been a weak point.

Mark
07-07-2011, 01:31 PM
How long do you think it'll take before this is on mobiles? Round about when 4g comes out?

xxMATTGxx
07-07-2011, 01:39 PM
How long do you think it'll take before this is on mobiles? Round about when 4g comes out?

They could limit it to WiFi only if they really wanted to.

Mark
07-07-2011, 01:42 PM
They could limit it to WiFi only if they really wanted to.

tbh I think that's where Apple went wrong, only jailbroken apple products can FaceTime over 3g

xxMATTGxx
07-07-2011, 01:54 PM
tbh I think that's where Apple went wrong, only jailbroken apple products can FaceTime over 3g

I think that might be something to do with the mobile networks as well to be honest.

Shar
07-07-2011, 03:21 PM
I haven't yet tried it out but I really like google hangout so idk if it will be as good as that

Recursion
07-07-2011, 03:52 PM

3G can handle video calling, we're currently have 3.5G (HSPA) in the UK, no need for 4G in terms of video calling.

I don't see any video calling taking off in the next 10 years, a lot of services (like this one + FaceTime) will die just as 3G video calling did what? 10 years ago or something?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!