PDA

View Full Version : Wasps nest

GoldenMerc
07-07-2011, 11:30 AM
Well we seem to have a wasps nest and the landlords coming to get it out but i was wondering what attracts wasps nests?
Thanks
Ross

Andeeh
07-07-2011, 04:06 PM
I had one in my room last week, they had came through the roof/skylight and nested. I didn't realise till they made a hole in my wall as the plumber kept knocking the wall next to my bedroom. Had to sleep downstairs till the council people came.
Don't know what attracts them just the Queen decides and the workers follow

Recursion
07-07-2011, 05:11 PM
Hidden, dark spots generally. Andeeh's right, could be anywhere though.

Adam
07-07-2011, 05:29 PM
Semen.

Honestly. It's like pollen to them.

Metric1
08-07-2011, 02:45 AM
lager!!!!!

Rashelly
08-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Whatever you do, don't kill or swat any! When they are under attack they let off a pheromone which is kind of a battle cry. It will attract the other wasps out from the nest... Which can be really dangerous.

Different species (there are a surprising amount) prefer different places to nest, I guess they just liked your house :p

They're also attracted to perfumes, food and bright colours

Firehorse
08-07-2011, 10:59 PM
Smoke em out!

Also a good way to trap them is to put about a cm of beer in a water bottle (cut off the top and place it upside down so it's inverted, cap off ofc). They get attracted to the smell and once they've landed in it and soaked themselves a) they'll get too drunk to find their way out and b) drown in the beer once the alcohol knocks in. The inverted cap makes it easier to get in but stops them climbing out with soaked wings. Works well :D (put em in the garden not the house :O)

Skittle
14-07-2011, 05:10 PM
Youcould use Wasp Killer theirs an idea! :L

Technologic
14-07-2011, 05:54 PM
I have one in one of the apple trees in the garden atm, rather annoying. Gonna call the wasp man tomorrow ahah

-:Undertaker:-
14-07-2011, 05:57 PM
I have one in one of the apple trees in the garden atm, rather annoying. Gonna call the wasp man tomorrow ahah

Oh no don't its such a shame to. We had a bee's nest under the grass area and they made two holes into the grass (must have been hollow under there somewhere) and you'd see guard bees by the door and even if you poked them with your finger/a stick they wouldn't attack because their sole job was to protect the colony.. Dad wanted to stuck a hosepipe down/call someone out but I stopped him.

If its not on the house/isn't very aggressive you should leave them really.

Technologic
14-07-2011, 06:06 PM
Oh no don't its such a shame to. We had a bee's nest under the grass area and they made two holes into the grass (must have been hollow under there somewhere) and you'd see guard bees by the door and even if you poked them with your finger/a stick they wouldn't attack because their sole job was to protect the colony.. Dad wanted to stuck a hosepipe down/call someone out but I stopped him.

If its not on the house/isn't very aggressive you should leave them really.

Wasps are ****, bees are cool. Anyway, how am I supposed to enjoy a pint in the sun when i have millions of wasps trying to get in on it too?!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!