PDA

View Full Version : Games Development.

PaulMacC
07-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Is there anyone else looking to go into this field as a career? Hopefully come October I'll be going to study Computer Science for my degree. Hoping to become a programmer.

MakingRP
07-07-2011, 04:14 PM
Wow, Paul, didn't know you were PyroPuncher. Anyway, I've been thinking about it quite recently and looked into it, I will most likely be looking into learning C++ pretty soon just in case I'd like to choose this career path in the future.

Fez
07-07-2011, 10:38 PM
I'm hoping to getting into games writing but I'm already a games journalist and write heavily about design pragmatics and other sorts of business.

dbgtz
07-07-2011, 11:30 PM
Yeah I'm self teaching C++ atm and will probably start messing around with game files and learning how that works. Also because it's quite similar to Java I can learn that too quite quickly (compared to C++) so then I can mod minecraft :3 Whether I do it at higher education is a question of if I enjoy it now and if I actually need to do it by that time.

Coupet
08-07-2011, 12:03 AM
I'm starting a Computer Science course at university in September. I'm looking forward to learning Java and C++.

samsaBEAR
08-07-2011, 10:33 AM
There's either a level 3 course at my local college or a foundation course at one of the Universitys near me and I can't afford either and it makes me extremely depressed because I would love to go into games development

dbgtz
08-07-2011, 11:13 AM
There's either a level 3 course at my local college or a foundation course at one of the Universitys near me and I can't afford either and it makes me extremely depressed because I would love to go into games development

How much are they?

And besides, when I was googling around there were a lot of people saying that it is a waste of money and it can easily be learnt independently.

Recursion
08-07-2011, 04:04 PM

Student Finance?

PaulMacC
09-07-2011, 11:35 AM
How much are they?

And besides, when I was googling around there were a lot of people saying that it is a waste of money and it can easily be learnt independently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7AZQ3ZHsPg

Misawa
09-07-2011, 10:45 PM
Like Psychology, it's a university course that everyone wants to do and thus the degree, like most degrees, greatly decreases in worth when you finish university. Teach yourself as much as you can. These days experience beats qualifications.

Angel-Light
12-07-2011, 11:48 PM
To be honest you are better off being a normal programmer. You mostly hear nowadays of game studios being shut down. You are better off doing other programming (all be it boring) but still have a job at the end of the day. Also programming games ain't all as good as it seems. Down right stressful

CMNiall
16-07-2011, 06:22 PM
Like Psychology, it's a university course that everyone wants to do and thus the degree, like most degrees, greatly decreases in worth when you finish university. Teach yourself as much as you can. These days experience beats qualifications.

Agreed, this applies for almost every aspect of the media industry as I'm sure you know.

Nemo
16-07-2011, 07:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7AZQ3ZHsPg
I knew i recognised that game (http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=685805&p=6978491#post6978491)

but heh, enjoyed that interview.

I'm more thinking of programming in general, but obviously games development is something that intrigues me

CrazyLemurs
23-07-2011, 08:34 PM
I'm starting Computing next year for GCSEs as a fun hobby. It's as close as I can get to programming at my age. But tbh, getting a stable career is difficult, and not always do you get paid brilliantly...

Camy
26-07-2011, 02:30 AM
I did the first year of a games development course at uni this year, dropped out because I really didn't enjoy it, but in theory I could go back anytime and keep doing it.
They were teaching us using Unity, but I wasn't really a fan of it, or the coding in general really, I was more into the design side of it. It really helps if you're already making a game or modding before you go on the course, so I'd recommend trying that first.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!