PDA

View Full Version : My rabbit :/

GoldenMerc
18-07-2011, 11:28 PM
Well yesterday we moved her into a new cage and also changed her eating habbits, Shes now in a big big cage and is on rabbit food rather than just carrots, Although now shes not drinking or eating, which is becoming a bit of a problem, we don't really want to keep her just eating carrots.
What should we do?
Ross

tdi
18-07-2011, 11:37 PM
A rabbit won't willingly starve itself, she's moved the cage so it could be down to stress of a different environment and it should take a couple of days to get sorted. Just keep an eye on her to make sure she does alright, if she's still wierd within a day phone the vet just to be sure.

Hollie.
18-07-2011, 11:39 PM
Put the carrots in the rabbit food and she might just eat it with the carrots then gradually start taking the carrots away from the food. Hope that helps :)

Jordan:A
19-07-2011, 01:31 AM
Yeah, just try putting small amounts of carrots in their rabbit food and see if that works.
Have you tried different vegetables such as broccoli to see how she goes with that?

Maybe even try giving her some of her rabbit food along with half a carrot as a treat or something, least then she is getting food.
If you notice she's loosing weight, I would contact the vet.

Narnat,
19-07-2011, 10:55 AM
If she doesn't start eating and drinking soon, I'd take it to the Vets.

VelvetClover
19-07-2011, 06:28 PM
I imagine this is a behavioural problem rather than a medical one (I am definitely no expert but I did own a rabbit many years ago). Like tdi said, it's probably due to the stress of being in a new environment. If I were you I'd keep a very close eye on her for a little while and if the problem persists, contact your vet. She'll probably be fine and eventually get used to and learn to love her new cage and food. Hope everything goes okay :)

-:Undertaker:-
19-07-2011, 11:20 PM
Often if you overfeed pets with fresh veg they will stop eating the normal food, thats what i've heard anyway with guniea pigs - hence we don't overfeed them veg.

-Danube-
20-07-2011, 12:03 AM
Give it time, it'll start eating soon enough when it actually gets very hungry. Just don't fuss around it too much, you may think you are helping but you are probably doing it harm. Don't start feeding it carrots because you are worrid as it will just continue to wait for you to bring it carrots. Best just to leave it and it'll learn it can eat the normal rabbit food. Then once it's eating the rabbit food, introduce veggies back to it and it'll eat both.

I have a rescued wild rabbit who is 8 years old. He eats Rabbit Food we get from tesco, these fibre pellets we get from our farm shop, sunflower hearts (no shell), veggie peeling and loads of hay. He's doing great.

Like i said, just give it time, rabbits won't get picky with food, if they are hungry they will eat whats edible. It'll just be stress and basically not knowing what to do (it may not know that what you've given it is food, but once it gets too hungry instinct will kick in and it'll eat)

GirlNextDoor15
20-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Maybe he is sick or something like that. Bring him to the VET and get some help.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!