PDA

View Full Version : Major Explosion in Oslo

Technologic
22-07-2011, 02:36 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14252515

Norway: Blast near prime minister's office in Oslo

A large explosion has hit near government headquarters in the Norwegian capital Oslo.

The blast is thought to have caused damage to the offices of Norwegian Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg and a number of other official buildings.

Initial reports suggested Mr Stoltenberg was unharmed.

At least eight people were injured in the city centre explosion, local media reports. No-one has said they were behind the attack.

Television footage from the scene showed rubble and glass from shattered windows in the streets - smoke was around some buildings. The wreckage of at least one car was in street.

All roads into the city centre have been closed, said the NRK newspaper.

Oistein Mjarum, head of communications for the Norwegian Red Cross, said his offices were close to the blast.

"There was a massive explosion which could be heard over the capital Oslo."

Mr Mjarum said there were fires burning in the 17-storey prime minister's building.

Eyewitness Ole Tommy Pedersen said he was standing at a bus stop about 100m away from the blast.

"I saw three or four injured people being carried out of the building a few minutes later," Mr Pedersen told AP.

He said there was a cloud of smoke billowing from the lower floors.

An NRK journalist, Ingunn Andersen, said the headquarters of tabloid newspaper VG had also been damaged.

"I see that some windows of the VG building and the government headquarters have been broken. Some people covered with blood are lying in the street," Associated Press news agency quoted him as saying.

"It's complete chaos here. The windows are blown out in all the buildings close by."

Going in about a week, excellent.

Jordy
22-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Whilst I don't want to jump the gun as it only happened hours ago, in not a single report has there been talk of serious causalities or deaths which is both remarkable given the size of the explosion and a very welcome bit of news.

Jordy
22-07-2011, 04:33 PM
Two dead and Oslo in shut down it seems. Something about a gunman attacking a Labour party youth camp as well although this is still ongoing.

lukeyo
22-07-2011, 04:35 PM
Wow, that's pretty crazy. Still going? Jee whiz this guy is determined haha

Technologic
22-07-2011, 04:50 PM
Update: There are reports of shootings at a Norwegian Labour Party youth camp just outside of Oslo, 5 injured

Technologic
22-07-2011, 09:30 PM
Update: 16 people killed overally, the attack on the youth camp was confirmed, the attacker at the youth camp has killed at least 10 but has been arrested and is confirmed to be Norwegian.

Stephen
22-07-2011, 09:53 PM
Whilst I don't want to jump the gun as it only happened hours ago, in not a single report has there been talk of serious causalities or deaths which is both remarkable given the size of the explosion and a very welcome bit of news.

Were you involved??????!?!?!

rip to the dead. 15-20 years old the 10 shot were werent they

GoldenMerc
23-07-2011, 09:59 AM
This is crazy :/

AgnesIO
23-07-2011, 10:54 AM
The worst bit is not only did this explosion happen, but a confirmed EIGHTY FOUR people were killed by the gunmen at the labour youth camp.

Terrible news, RIP to all those killed in these attacks.

AgnesIO
23-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Rather embarrassing how uninterested the majority of this forum seem to be.

Mathew
23-07-2011, 02:03 PM
84 people... this is worse than most gunmen rampages in the USA and it's the worst thing that's hit Norway since the World Wars. I was actually doing about the Columbine High School Massacre in Sociology last week so I wouldn't be surprised if this comes up when we return after the Summer. We were watching a documentary which was against the idea of guns being legal in America, saying how 89 people a year in the UK die from guns, compared to 11,000+ in the USA. Are guns legal in Norway, out of interest?

Absolutely awful news though and condolences to the families involved. :(

Stephen
23-07-2011, 03:22 PM

Ennit lmao what's going on? Normally there's a flooding of rips or something

Mathew
23-07-2011, 03:23 PM
I at least expected Dan coming in, telling us all that we should "let people do what they like"...... :rolleyes::P

Inseriousity.
23-07-2011, 11:58 PM
I at least expected Dan coming in, telling us all that we should "let people do what they like"...... :rolleyes::P

lol dan's a libertarian. there's specifically a harm principle: you can do what you like as long as you don't harm anyone. I think it's a fairly sound way of life to follow in practice although philosophically, it has gaping holes. It is perhaps a shame that the terrorist didn't think of this himself when he posted a quote from John Stuart Mill: "One person with a belief is equal to the force of 100,000 who have only interests".

Perhaps what is more interesting is how he is allegedly connected with far-right nutters all over Europe, including from Britain!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14259989 (not sure if this will link to the page im getting my info from. click suspect on the bar at the top).

Mathew
24-07-2011, 12:28 AM
Go on then Mike, you've got me interested. What are these philosophical holes? I do agree, it seems a nice way to live, but on a practical note it's quite unrealistic?

Shar
24-07-2011, 12:40 AM
Its not significant to them that's why.

A very tragic event, R.I.P those who died and I hope those who were injured are now okay.

GirlNextDoor15
24-07-2011, 08:00 AM
UPDATE: At least 87 killed in Norway attacks.
It is a very horrific and unpredictable thing to happen and R.I.P to those who died.
Why Norway? I don't understand the attacks at Norway since the country has been peaceful.

=Lizzy
24-07-2011, 11:02 AM
Its horrific that someone can do that
I just heard on the news that the shooter says 'It was necessary'

absolutely disgusting that someone could do that

GirlNextDoor15
24-07-2011, 02:04 PM
There's a video Anders Behring Breivik posted on YouTube before he attacked Oslo City. I'm watching it now.

Slowpoke
24-07-2011, 04:13 PM
Link please?

dbgtz
24-07-2011, 09:22 PM
Pretty shocking, don't know why I hadn't posted here sooner. Anyway it's amazing how one man caused this and shows holes in Norway. In all fairness, you couldn't guess something like this would happen from one man. And I just read his reason ( http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jul/24/norway-gunman-not-guilty-plea ) and how he believes that is ridiculous more then anything else. He in no way was started a revolution as he attacked people who were virtually uninvolved with his made up reason and was obviously on a killing spree and maybe even mentally unstable. Whats the largest punishment one can get in norway?

And apparently the geezer who done this played MW2 and WoW. From this, I could only assume he was camping. Sorry too soon for jokes but not only have people died, but the game (maybe film) industry is clearly going to be moaned at and I wonder if this will actually affect it.

xxMATTGxx
24-07-2011, 09:59 PM
It's quite shocking at the amount of people who died. RIP to those and I do wonder if there is any other people who are linked to this and going to do more attacks like it in Norway.

Looking at another article:

Anders Behring Breivik, who according to his lawyer has admitted his role in the mass murder of at least 93 people in an “atrocious … but necessary” act, could if found guilty be imprisoned beyond the country’s 21-year maximum sentence, according to a Norwegian prosecutor.

But to keep him in jail for the rest of his life, in the country’s famously comfortable prison system, would be unheard of in the peaceful, egalitarian country of five million people, said Carol Sandbye, a lawyer who works in Norway’s office of public prosecutions.

She said the country’s General Civil Penal Code gives the state prosecutor the right to seek an extension of sentences beyond the 21-year maximum for up to five years at a time, on the condition that the inmate is deemed to be a “high risk” of repeating serious offences.

Soruce: http://www.canada.com/news/Norway+suspect+could+jailed+beyond+sentence+Prosec utor/5151993/story.html#ixzz1T3wsw0k2

Slowpoke
24-07-2011, 10:04 PM
Death toll could rise to 100 - horrific. Can't believe he calls his attacks necessary aswell, obviously not a full shilling.

I was thinking maybe the thread title should be changed to mention the shooting spree too?

Inseriousity.
24-07-2011, 10:22 PM
I'd say as he thinks it was necessary, that would justify keeping him locked up. Hopefully with some big tough cellmate who treats him like he treated his victims - no mercy!

-:Undertaker:-
24-07-2011, 10:27 PM
RIP to all those who have died.

What a shame he won't be hung.

Because somebody abuses liberty by harming others, it does not mean that the rest of us should lose it.

The Don
25-07-2011, 12:54 AM
I hadn't realized how bad this was, I feel ignorant for not posting sooner.

RIP to all those who died.

It's astonishing how deluded some people are, he thought it was necessary, what a Monster.

Oleh
25-07-2011, 11:45 AM
The suspect behind the recent terrorist attacks in Oslo, Norway claims, via a manifesto, that he used Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 as a type of training simulation to prepare him for yesterday's events. Though police have not officially revealed his name, the man has been identified by local media as Anders Behring Breivik, a 32-year-old Norwegian.Seven people have been confirmed dead from the bomb explosion that shook the Norwegian capital of Oslo as police said that the explosive was set-up in a car. At least 85 others were killed in a shooting at a youth camp in nearby Utoya Island, bringing the current death count to 92. Official sources and social media indicate that Breivik might be a right-wing Christian fundamentalist who may have had an issue with Norway's multi-cultural society. It may explain why he targeted a politically-partisan youth camp organized by the Labour Party which currently holds power in the country.Breivik is now being linked to a 1,500 page manifesto that lists popular FPS Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 as a means of training for what he believes is an impending war with Islam. He writes:"I just bought Modern Warfare 2, the game. It is probably the best military simulator out there and it's one of the hottest games this year. ... I see MW2 more as a part of my training-simulation than anything else. I've still learned to love it though and especially the multiplayer part is amazing. You can more or less completely simulate actual operations."

He's obviously not a fan of the pc genre

GirlNextDoor15
25-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Link please?

There you go.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAwp2FnRmsE&skipcontrinter=1
I don't really understand most of the contents of the video. What's fascism and stuff.. But if you do, please tell me what is it about :) Thanks

wixard
25-07-2011, 03:23 PM
the death toll has been lowered to 76

xxMATTGxx
25-07-2011, 04:55 PM
BBC are reporting:

The father of #Norway gunman #Breivik tells Nowegian TV his son should have killed himself instead of so many people

james,
25-07-2011, 06:22 PM
This is bad, i hope he gets killed or something for it, prison for life or something, disgusting it is

xxMATTGxx
26-07-2011, 01:48 PM
The link in the spoiler contains images that may upset members. There is also additional warnings on the site on the more graphic ones:

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/07/tragedy-in-norway/100113/

Judas
26-07-2011, 03:49 PM
this is really sad, i read a story from someone on another forum who lives in norway and was visiting oslo for the day. i can't even imagine...

Manhattan
27-07-2011, 12:52 PM
No one deserves to die because of someone elses corrupt ideologies.

May they rest in peace.

ifuseekamy
27-07-2011, 01:12 PM
Am I the only person in the world who thinks it's pretty sick the press immediately swooped on the scene like vultures, making live updates and taking photos of the event before them, yet it took til the massacre of all those people was pretty much over for help to arrive? :S

Manhattan
29-07-2011, 08:14 PM
Am I the only person in the world who thinks it's pretty sick the press immediately swooped on the scene like vultures, making live updates and taking photos of the event before them, yet it took til the massacre of all those people was pretty much over for help to arrive? :S

There is nothing wrong with people taking photos of horrific events, I do not understand why people deem it to be so offensive. Regardless of the situation, photos should always be taken so the events and the memories will live on, whether it be good or bad.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!