PDA

View Full Version : I am stupid. Help me.

Ardemax
30-07-2011, 04:52 PM
helooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

so im making a minecraft server with a bunch of m3h buddies and its turning out pretty epic

we're making it (kinda) RPG with NPCs, trading stations, towns and cities, rentable properties and even a tutorial island.

when we finish, we want the public to visit whenever (24/7) instead of having to connect through hamachi (which is what we're doing atm)

if anybody can help us and telling us what to do in order to get like a proper address so more people can visit, please reply/message me!

if we get this thing up its gonna be pretty cool :D

thanks guys xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Zuth
30-07-2011, 07:52 PM
Im looking for help on this too, Im running the server on my comp via hamachi & need it so its open 24/7 just dont know how :P

Ardemax
30-07-2011, 10:50 PM
I'm not really fussed on how much to pay (well, a little) just need some answers. aha.

Johno
30-07-2011, 11:40 PM
You need to get a server - I'd recommend one from http://www.multiplaygameservers.com/ (as it requires the least amount of knowledge and is really easy to setup)

Zuth
31-07-2011, 06:59 AM
Pretty good prices, is it easy to install bukkit plugins?

Pegle
31-07-2011, 09:54 AM

Should be just as easy as doing it on your PC.

Ardemax
31-07-2011, 10:32 AM
Keep in mind that I'm stupid.

With these servers can you just upload your own world with all the plugins and everything? And is it easy to edit the permissions?

Thanks

Johno
31-07-2011, 10:32 AM

They have a list of plugins that are available for install, and if there is anything they don't have, you can e-mail them and they'll normally add it :)

Keep in mind that I'm stupid.

With these servers can you just upload your own world with all the plugins and everything? And is it easy to edit the permissions?

Thanks

It's just as easy to edit the permissions on this type of server, you have access to all the text files for the vanilla server then all the plugins on top of that.

You can upload your world (you e-mail them with a .zip of it) and they'll add it to your server. You then add the plugins you want through their ClanForge system.

Ardemax
31-07-2011, 12:38 PM
That sounds cool but I saw the price at like £1000 per year, so I might give it a miss atm.

Thanks all +rep

Neil
31-07-2011, 02:59 PM
You can get pretty good servers pretty cheap, I was using a VPS with Fragnet when I had my server, they have pretty decent prices and I had no downtime at all, the only problem I had was with bukkit taking so long to update and people updating their clients too quickly meant they couldn't get on the server.

Installing bukkit pluggins with fragnet was stupidly simple so I imagine it's no different with any other hosts, if you have problems then they seem to offer a lot of support with everything.

Johno
31-07-2011, 04:44 PM
That sounds cool but I saw the price at like £1000 per year, so I might give it a miss atm.

Thanks all +rep

How many players were you looking at? £1000 per year is for 63 players consecutively.
For a 10 player server, it's only £90 for the year.

Zuth
01-08-2011, 08:51 AM
How much memory would you recommend for a 8 person server?

Johno
01-08-2011, 11:48 AM
How much memory would you recommend for a 8 person server?

Going by what Fragnet says, 512MB should be able to handle up to 12 players. You're probably better asking someone else about that though, I only have experience using Multiplay.

Ardemax
01-08-2011, 12:56 PM
Hmmm if I started off at 20 people, that wouldn't be bad, maybe 15.

But are there any other hosts?

dbgtz
01-08-2011, 01:36 PM
There is a way to do it yourself without hamachi, but it would be hard to sustain without decent specs & connection I imagine and you wouldn't be able to do much when it's running I guess, depending on the amount of people.

Zuth
01-08-2011, 02:50 PM
Going by what Fragnet says, 512MB should be able to handle up to 12 players. You're probably better asking someone else about that though, I only have experience using Multiplay.

Ill just get 500mbs then :P

Neil
01-08-2011, 02:56 PM
I got 512 when I had my server, while it's good for a while, it does suffer a bit when you start to build up the world, especially with more and more players online at once, I never had more than 7-8 people on my server at a time and I had little issue then but it would lag a little bit if everyone spaced apart significantly as the server would then have 8x the amount to load as it normally would.

In all 512 is good for starting, if it starts to get a bit slow you can always upgrade easily anyway.

Ardemax
01-08-2011, 11:35 PM
I'll check out fragnet, thanks neil +rep

Yeah my servers being hosted on my IP but not using hamachi.

I'll let you know the address of it soon enough when we've done more protecting (looks mysteriously at tom) ;)

Lew
02-08-2011, 02:02 AM
Sounds cool, I for one really wish to find a decent RPG server, all the ones I play are Survival. PM me the IP if you want me/when your ready

Pegle
04-08-2011, 12:34 PM
Yeah, just go to http://plugins.bukkit.org/#ti=&ta=all&au=&subm=false&pno=0

Pick any plugins that sounds good, download it off the thread, and usually most plugins have a single .jar file, move that into the plugins folder and then reload/start your server and then a folder (Named the same as the .jar file you just added in) will pop up with the configuration files, etc.

Hope that helped.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!