PDA

View Full Version : New Counter-Strike imminent?

Oleh
12-08-2011, 04:47 PM
Out of nowhere, there's rumours flying around tonight that Valve is on the cusp of revealing a new game.

It's not Episode 3, but for many, it will be the next best thing: a new Counter-Strike game.
Most of the chit-chat so far is based around testers (and eSports commentators) having very recently got some hands-on time with the rumoured project at Valve HQ. Some of them even pausing to take happy snaps of the trip.

All of the testers are involved in some way or another with the eSports scene, in particular competitive Counter-Strike gaming, and have apparently been down at Valve HQ giving their thoughts on a current build of the project.

Its full name is supposedly Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, and is due out in Q1 2012. Whether it's a major update to the existing Counter-Strike or an all-new title isn't clear yet. According to the testers, some of the changes it would be making to the series' tried and tested formula would be new guns, new grenades, revamped maps and free ammo.

Oh, and the fact it'll be running on an updated version of Valve's Source Engine. And hats? No word yet on hats.

From Kotaku.com HERE (http://kotaku.com/5830230/is-valve-releasing-a-new-counter+strike-game)

Thoughts?

Stephen!
12-08-2011, 05:23 PM
http://store.steampowered.com/app/1800/

Stephen
12-08-2011, 07:06 PM
if it turns into tf2 then I will be pissed. Saw this pic on twitter lmao

http://i.imgur.com/PMAqD.jpg

Fez
12-08-2011, 09:49 PM
VALVE.

GODDAMN.

EPISODE THREE.

GODDAMNIT.

Y U NO COUNT TO 3.

Arch
13-08-2011, 02:29 AM
if it turns into tf2 then I will be pissed. Saw this pic on twitter lmao

http://i.imgur.com/PMAqD.jpg

hahaha i really hope it doesnt turn into tf2 at all

Thomas
13-08-2011, 07:47 AM
i hope its better then cs:s and not a disappointment, and it better support mac. Sounds good though.

Accipiter
13-08-2011, 09:56 AM
Don't enjoy tf2's physics

Always found time to waste on css though :)

Neil
13-08-2011, 11:41 AM
This is the one that is going to be released on the Xbox 360 marketplace as an arcade game and presumably on the PlayStation Network.

Oleh
13-08-2011, 02:24 PM
Looks like we didn't have to wait too long at all for confirmation of the project: Valve and Seattle-based developer Hidden Path Entertainment just distributed a press release announcing Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, an updated and expanded version of the seminal team-based shooter. Slated for an early 2012 release on XBLA, PSN and Steam, the downloadable title will add "new maps, characters, and weapons," renovated versions of classic maps (what's up, de_dust) and a plethora of new modes, matchmaking options, leaderboards and other modern shooter mainstays. Best of all, it'll be playable later this month at PAX Prime. Check out the full press release after the jump! Original post: A heaping pile of evidence is growing in support of a future installment in the thoroughly-played Counter-Strike universe -- this one subtitled Global Offensive. The most promising tidbit is the Facebook page of anti-cheat gaming community ESEA, which revealed the name of the game, and promised more info later this morning. The post was preceded by an image of ESEA's Craig Levine at the offices of Valve. (You can tell it's legit, because hey, there's a giant valve.) Valve designer Jess Cliffe corroborated the title on the Steam forums, correcting an earlier poster who labeled the game "Global Operation." Also, Electronic Sports League manager Bastian Vieser claimed on Twitter that he "Just spend [sic] all day playing the new Counterstrike Global Offensive" at Valve's HQ. It certainly seems like a real thing -- now there's just the small matter of whether it's a port, expansion or an entirely new game altogether. We've got our freakishly elongated fingers crossed for the latter.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/12/rumor-new-counter-strike-project-in-the-works-titled-global-of/#comments

PaulMacC
13-08-2011, 03:46 PM
They're developing the new CS for consoles as well as PC. That means they're developing it for console, as well as PC. See the difference? Yep. Game will suck ass. lol consoles.

jackass
13-08-2011, 03:50 PM
Consolized. Great.

And I swear if they implement any sort of stupid gimmicky clothing or hatwear then i'll be twice as pissed.

Besides that... i'm looking forward to it! :D

Stephen!
13-08-2011, 03:52 PM
Well Valve developed Portal 2 for console too and that turned out pretty well on PC, don't you think?

PaulMacC
13-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Well Valve developed Portal 2 for console too and that turned out pretty well on PC, don't you think?

Portal 2 was not an multiplayer FPS.

jackass
13-08-2011, 04:01 PM

No, I don't think. The playability was seriously limited in the sense of skill and agility. There were no particularly tricky "air" shots with the portal gun to complete a level on Portal 2, due to this being too difficult to do on a console.

Neil
14-08-2011, 12:00 AM
Portal 2 was not an multiplayer FPS.

Don't be stupid, Call of Duty is as good on the consoles as it is on the PC, there is almost no difference in terms of game play and controls, Valve give you full control over key bindings and sensitivity in all their games so this statement is just stupid.

No, I don't think. The playability was seriously limited in the sense of skill and agility. There were no particularly tricky "air" shots with the portal gun to complete a level on Portal 2, due to this being too difficult to do on a console.

That is complete rubbish, Portal on the PC is identical to Portal on the consoles, if you "miss" that sort of game play then I highly doubt consoles have anything to do with a lack of it, it was all perfectly achievable.

I'm getting sick of seeing all these "PC is better than console because of this" rubbish now, PC can handle bigger and more detailed games, sure.. PC is easier to play when it comes to FPS games due to the way you control it but that doesn't automatically mean consoles can't do it, they've been doing it for a good 10 years by now.

RyRy
14-08-2011, 12:05 AM
That'll be alright, but CS:S is king.

PaulMacC
14-08-2011, 09:00 AM
Don't be stupid, Call of Duty is as good on the consoles as it is on the PC, there is almost no difference in terms of game play and controls, Valve give you full control over key bindings and sensitivity in all their games so this statement is just stupid.

That is complete rubbish, Portal on the PC is identical to Portal on the consoles, if you "miss" that sort of game play then I highly doubt consoles have anything to do with a lack of it, it was all perfectly achievable.

I'm getting sick of seeing all these "PC is better than console because of this" rubbish now, PC can handle bigger and more detailed games, sure.. PC is easier to play when it comes to FPS games due to the way you control it but that doesn't automatically mean consoles can't do it, they've been doing it for a good 10 years by now.
Sorry but Call of Duty Black Ops is completely despised on PC. It's not a good FPS by any means.

Chippiewill
14-08-2011, 11:01 AM
Don't be stupid, Call of Duty is as good on the consoles as it is on the PC,
I know a console port when I see one, and no, COD on PC is no longer good.

Good news is that Valve wouldn't dare cannibalise it's PC crowd considering they'll be the primary revenue stream at this point. Also since it's the Source Engine it's pretty difficult to make it **** on PC, COD only became **** on PC because they changed engines.

Neil
14-08-2011, 04:05 PM
Fair enough but even still, I've yet to play a game on the PC that suffered because it was ported from a console, PC fanboys are just babies because they expect everything to be as detailed as possible all the time, honestly I prefer playing FPS games on the PC as well but the only time I've ever felt console couldn't keep up is when they don't let you change the sensitivity, which is rare to be honest.

In terms of processing and graphics PC is clearly ahead but I feel console isn't exactly far behind, the only difference is one doesn't require upgrading every time a game comes out that requires something more powerful.

Fez
14-08-2011, 10:20 PM
Valve do not do 'consolized', they invited out Counter Strike pros to test it out. PC platform comes first for them, always will do.

That and the original Counter-Strike was on the Xbox and look how that turned out.

peteyt
15-08-2011, 06:25 PM
Seriously why can't Valve at least give us a little bit more Half Life information.

I'm not the biggest counter strike fan but it is a good game and I was wondering if it would get a sequel but I just don't get Valve's game here. Instead of giving a little bit of news about the game lots of people have been waiting for for quite a few years they release other games that really don't need a sequel.

Obviously a sequel to Counter Strike might be good but Counter Strike doesn't have a story really. If Counter Strike didn't get a sequel it wouldn't be too bad because there's nothing needing followed up while as we have a big series without an ending when it comes to half life.

Oleh
26-08-2011, 03:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGDrGri79pA

BOOM

Thomas
26-08-2011, 04:26 PM
CAN'T WAIT!

Chippiewill
27-08-2011, 07:29 PM
de_dust3 anyone?

-

So:

L4D sequel - Check
Portal sequel - Check
Counter-strike sequel - Check
Half Life 2 Ep2 - ..

2013 Anyone?

Rob-Guy2
29-08-2011, 11:55 PM
:o Can't wait, I love CS! :D

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!