PDA

View Full Version : Should capital punishment be abolished, or re-introduced?

Apolva
18-08-2011, 09:56 PM
Should capital punishment be abolished in territories which allow it?

Should it be re-introduced?

(Capital punishment = the death penalty/execution)

Showder
19-08-2011, 11:49 AM
In many countries , capital punishment has been introduced , to drug/sexual/number-degree murders.
In my opinion I think it should be re-introduced. Why? The reason is most convicts if punishments weren't tough , they would've gotten over it , in other words , wouldn't change or still be dangerous in most territories. If the punishments were harsh , we people could live in peace.
It should be re-introduced or introduced in countries that hasn't allowed capital punishments.

GommeInc
19-08-2011, 12:18 PM
I don't think it should. I would much rather live in a civilised country than one that thinks Government issued murder is justified. It's not a form of prevention to stop others thinking twice about killing or committing a string of rapes, and it costs a hell of a lot to keep convicted murders ready to be killed in prison to find absolute evidence, which takes years at a time anyway. The fact the country is in debt is another reason, the cost to reimplement it through Parliament and the judiciary system would reach into the high millions to rewrite legislation. Loads of countries that do have do not use it as it's a waste of time and money to use, and doesn't solve anything other than the Governments like the idea of killing people too. Shockingly, people are bringing the idea of Capital Punishment up because of the recent riots :P Like rioters would be slaughtered for something like looting a shop or burning one down, unless you're suggesting in a fit of range that the right to burn a house down shoud be come legislation too? A house for a house and all that ;)

If you want to blame something for the way people act, blame the lesser society who were born into awful "family" conditions where all they understand is the selfish desire to express themselves through violence. Don't buy into the idea that all of these families are broken up without father or mother figures, blame the notion that they're really just selfish, violent thugs who do not understand or appreciate other people.

I support a harsher prison environment and tougher sentencing. Build one super prison which takes up the space of a football pitch and chuck all the murderers in that. They do not need luxuries, not like they can get in current prisons. Perhaps we should learn from the past and use the same style prisons, cobble rock flooring ;) Lets build ourselves some tradition style castles and convert them into prisons so no one can get in or out, unless convicted of a terrible crime.

-:Undertaker:-
19-08-2011, 10:21 PM
I don't think it should. I would much rather live in a civilised country than one that thinks Government issued murder is justified.

Almost everybody thinks that government issued murder is justified, otherwise you would be calling for the armed forces under no circumstances to fire back at enemy soldiers. The idea that often some anti-death penalty libertarians spring up is that 'how can you say the government has a right to take life?' if one is rational, government should have that right although under very tight circumstances; the due punishment of convicted murderers, national self defence.

In war, lets say in the self-defence of our islands, it is rational that our government sanctions execution as a form of protection and punishment upon the enemy. This is done without a court, a jury or an appeals process - compare this to state execution concerning those who have been convicted.

I wrote an article on this a few days ago where i've gone into this logic more deeply; http://theconservativeblog.co.uk/global-politics/state-remove-life

It's not a form of prevention to stop others thinking twice about killing or committing a string of rapes, and it costs a hell of a lot to keep convicted murders ready to be killed in prison to find absolute evidence, which takes years at a time anyway. The fact the country is in debt is another reason, the cost to reimplement it through Parliament and the judiciary system would reach into the high millions to rewrite legislation.

The main purpose of the death penalty is punishment and always has been, indeed thats what the justice system used to be aimed at because with punishment comes prevention which can hardly be measured as it doesn't occur under a good justice system like the one we had in this country many years ago. The example of America cannot be used as America only technically has the death penalty (look at the numbers) as most die on death row without being punished - it remains there as mere window dressing, nothing more.

The costs on the other hand, we can afford a good justice system if we want one - you just simply have to abolish the mass of health and safety laws, human rights costs and regulations that plague almost every aspect of our national life these days. As Peter Hitchens stated, we can afford it all we need to do is stop subsiding the Pakistani nuclear bomb.

Loads of countries that do have do not use it as it's a waste of time and money to use, and doesn't solve anything other than the Governments like the idea of killing people too. Shockingly, people are bringing the idea of Capital Punishment up because of the recent riots :P Like rioters would be slaughtered for something like looting a shop or burning one down, unless you're suggesting in a fit of range that the right to burn a house down shoud be come legislation too? A house for a house and all that ;)

This is the reaction that we get because we do not have a proper criminal justice system. The next stage will be mob rule, because officaldom has failed to punish criminals properly - whats interesting with mob rule and when criminals act against one another though is that they use death themselves as the ultimate punishment.

..and thats why I think we should restore the death penalty back into the justice system, it is the ultimate punishment.

If you want to blame something for the way people act, blame the lesser society who were born into awful "family" conditions where all they understand is the selfish desire to express themselves through violence. Don't buy into the idea that all of these families are broken up without father or mother figures, blame the notion that they're really just selfish, violent thugs who do not understand or appreciate other people.Oh no its a tale of both - these people, most of them with evil buried within have not met punishment throughout their lives because they have no mother or father figure, they have met no punishment in the education system, they have met no punishment from the Police and so forth. This does not excuse the, but with punishment you create a fear within these people not to do something which they were thinking of doing.

I support a harsher prison environment and tougher sentencing. Build one super prison which takes up the space of a football pitch and chuck all the murderers in that. They do not need luxuries, not like they can get in current prisons. Perhaps we should learn from the past and use the same style prisons, cobble rock flooring ;) Lets build ourselves some tradition style castles and convert them into prisons so no one can get in or out, unless convicted of a terrible crime.

I agree with going back to post-1960s prisons completely.

DPS
20-08-2011, 01:18 PM
I say bring it back, and also bring back national service. for everyone whos 16, till the age of 18 or even 20, teach boys to be men.

Showder
20-08-2011, 02:04 PM
I say bring it back, and also bring back national service. for everyone whos 16, till the age of 18 or even 20, teach boys to be men.

Yes , what does national service have got to do with capital punishment?
By the way , capital punishment can let people change , when they're dead.

HotelUser
21-08-2011, 03:36 AM
I am completely for harsher prisons, longer sentences as well as the death penalty. The crimes committed by some are nothing but sick, and so by knowingly committing such crimes I believe they should be forfeiting their own life up.

Recursion
21-08-2011, 08:15 AM
I am completely for harsher prisons, longer sentences as well as the death penalty. The crimes committed by some are nothing but sick, and so by knowingly committing such crimes I believe they should be forfeiting their own life up.

So you'd also kill the person who administered the lethal injection? It's one big circle, but I'm undecided.

Teabags
21-08-2011, 06:52 PM
So you'd also kill the person who administered the lethal injection? It's one big circle, but I'm undecided.

Not quite. Like the law states Liberty should only be taken away by ones peers. So that administering lethal injections would probably be deemed socially acceptable and therefore would not have to suffer the death penalty.

Also, just to throw in a fairly shallow point. The cost in terms of monetary savings would be vast. Those who are quite clearly never going to outlive their sentence should surely be sentenced to death.

But what really pickles me is WHY do we have a suicide watch. It is a complete waste of tax payers money and personally I believe that IF people want to commit suicide, why just not let them? It will make no difference to us. It just plays a little on the morality of people, who I feel can see why this would be justified (other than the fact that, as it stands this would breach the Human Rights Act). - Which I believe should be modified to suit these occasions - e.g. once in breach of your rights, you will have yours confiscated away.

Furthermore, whats to say that the death penalty has to be humane?

dbgtz
22-08-2011, 03:05 PM
Not quite. Like the law states Liberty should only be taken away by ones peers. So that administering lethal injections would probably be deemed socially acceptable and therefore would not have to suffer the death penalty.

Also, just to throw in a fairly shallow point. The cost in terms of monetary savings would be vast. Those who are quite clearly never going to outlive their sentence should surely be sentenced to death.

But what really pickles me is WHY do we have a suicide watch. It is a complete waste of tax payers money and personally I believe that IF people want to commit suicide, why just not let them? It will make no difference to us. It just plays a little on the morality of people, who I feel can see why this would be justified (other than the fact that, as it stands this would breach the Human Rights Act). - Which I believe should be modified to suit these occasions - e.g. once in breach of your rights, you will have yours confiscated away.

Furthermore, whats to say that the death penalty has to be humane?

Because if it was inhumane and, theoretically, we would be as bad as the people who committed the crime and we would most likely be frowned upon by western civillisation.

I personally would say yes to it, but not use it as a common punishment. However, if they were to do that, they would really need to toughen up prisons as said before as a jump from a "luxury" prison sentance to death is kind of vast.

Wig44.
24-08-2011, 03:00 PM

That just punishes the majority of teenagers for the actions of a minority. Not to mention that national service 16-20 would obstruct your choice to pursue further education - our education is **** enough already. I can control myself and know how to be a man already, so I'd prefer to go to university instead.

We could learn from the past and put convicts in the armed forces as an alternative to a prison sentence; Worked well before.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!