PDA

View Full Version : RAF Red Arrows pilot killed in crash at Bournemouth air display

xxMATTGxx
20-08-2011, 06:28 PM
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/54716000/jpg/_54716317_redarrows_crashsite.jpg

An RAF Red Arrows jet crashed earlier on today at he Bournemouth Airshow. It has now been confirmed that the pilot of the aircraft has died.

R.I.P to Flight Lieutenant Jon Egging. Such a shame to hear this news, it's been a very long time since someone has died from the Red Arrows.

An RAF Red Arrows pilot has died when his plane crashed following a display at the Bournemouth Air Festival in Dorset.

The fire service confirmed they were called to an air crash at 13:50 BST near Bournemouth International Airport.

Eyewitnesses described seeing the Hawk plane plunge to the ground in a field near the River Stour at Throop village.

It was one of nine Red Arrows aircraft that had earlier taken part in a display over the seafront.

News Links:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-14602900

Video:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14603644

=Lizzy
20-08-2011, 06:31 PM
My friends were there today and saw it.

Its terrible to hear this has happened.
Thought are with his family

Describe
20-08-2011, 06:31 PM
That's horrible, nobody survives a crash like that.

Mathew
20-08-2011, 06:32 PM
I have so much respect for these pilots. Their stunts really are amazing and it's such a shame when such a terrible accident happens. I wonder what the outcome of this will be.

xxMATTGxx
20-08-2011, 06:38 PM
I have so much respect for these pilots. Their stunts really are amazing and it's such a shame when such a terrible accident happens. I wonder what the outcome of this will be.

Would depend on the cause of the crash really but I would expect them to be suspended until further notice, at least until the investigation is complete.

j0rd
20-08-2011, 06:45 PM
I only seen them 2 weeks or so ago in Blackpool.
So much respect for all Red Arrow pilots who risk their lives to entertain fans.

DPS
20-08-2011, 07:30 PM
I know its a sad thing to see, and stuff like that.

But remember he knew what he was doing when he joined up to the Red Arrows, as most of you know it's not an easy job to get, and there Elite RAF Pilots.

R.I.P

.PureGenius
20-08-2011, 08:06 PM
Such a sad loss, saw the incredible peformance from the Red Arrows yesterday, astonishing. Share the love:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/RIP-Jon-Egging-Red-4/254030897955424#!/pages/RIP-Jon-Egging-Red-4/254030897955424

Ajthedragon
20-08-2011, 10:21 PM
bye bye red arrows.

A sad loss and I feel for his family.

As for the Red Arrows, I expect they will be decommissioned due to 'safety' when in reality it is to save costs.

xxMATTGxx
20-08-2011, 10:56 PM
bye bye red arrows.

A sad loss and I feel for his family.

As for the Red Arrows, I expect they will be decommissioned due to 'safety' when in reality it is to save costs.

I doubt they would do that, although I could actually see them doing that for some odd reason at the same time. But too many people support them and would petition against it and see If it can be stopped from happening. Although at the moment they are just suspended for the investigation due to the crash so they can find out the cause of it and also determine if any changes need to happen.

Jordan
20-08-2011, 11:03 PM
I heard this earlier and was like oh my god. I saw them on Thursday and they were amazing. A sad loss indeed :(

DPS
21-08-2011, 11:37 AM
I doubt they will get rid of the Red Arrows.

He died because he stayed at the controls to steer clear of homes, and refused to eject. now thats what you call a hero.

R.I.P Jon "Red 4"

Wig44.
22-08-2011, 04:19 PM
Title is misleading/wrong, he crashed after a show not during. They completed all their stunts successfully, the arrows won't be decommissioned for safety because it had nothing to do with the show. They are still inestigating why he crashed afterwards.

GommeInc
22-08-2011, 04:51 PM
I doubt they would do that, although I could actually see them doing that for some odd reason at the same time. But too many people support them and would petition against it and see If it can be stopped from happening. Although at the moment they are just suspended for the investigation due to the crash so they can find out the cause of it and also determine if any changes need to happen.
There was a lot of speculation last year about whether or not they would stay when the defense cuts were being mentioned. But I agree, getting rid of them for one accident out of a few thousand flights would be ridiculous, when they are a rich part of our RAF and air show heritage.

I think I heard somewhere that he collided with a bird. Has this been confirmed yet or was that just one idea someone chucked around?

DPS
22-08-2011, 07:57 PM
There was a lot of speculation last year about whether or not they would stay when the defense cuts were being mentioned. But I agree, getting rid of them for one accident out of a few thousand flights would be ridiculous, when they are a rich part of our RAF and air show heritage.

I think I heard somewhere that he collided with a bird. Has this been confirmed yet or was that just one idea someone chucked around?

I doubt a bird would be a the reason, think someone just came up with that, its reported that for some reason the aircraft, was turned off.

The mans a hero, he killed himself, he didnt have time to eject because he had to much focus on where he could land, so that he wouldnt hit no1.

GommeInc
22-08-2011, 08:29 PM
I doubt a bird would be a the reason, think someone just came up with that, its reported that for some reason the aircraft, was turned off.

The mans a hero, he killed himself, he didnt have time to eject because he had to much focus on where he could land, so that he wouldnt hit no1.
It does seem unlikely but that's all I've heard about it today. If the aircraft suddenly turned itself off then that's something the RAF really should look into, for the safety of other pilots in the future.

DPS
22-08-2011, 10:01 PM
It does seem unlikely but that's all I've heard about it today. If the aircraft suddenly turned itself off then that's something the RAF really should look into, for the safety of other pilots in the future.

Yeah i agree, also heard the one red 4 was usein on the day, wasnt the one he always used, it was used because something was up with his other. so kinda ****** up.

Boot
23-08-2011, 07:20 AM
to think that a man would risk his own life and sadly die to save other people from being injured/killed can be classed as a true hero

xxMATTGxx
25-08-2011, 11:45 AM
Ministry of Defence: The Red Arrows have been cleared to resume flying after the air show crash that killed one of their pilots.

GommeInc
25-08-2011, 11:53 AM
Ministry of Defence: The Red Arrows have been cleared to resume flying after the air show crash that killed one of their pilots.
It's a shame Clacton Airshow were in talks about changing their schedules because of them being grounded, so they may not be flying today/tomorrow. I used to see them flying over the fields to get there :P

-:Undertaker:-
25-08-2011, 03:03 PM
What a sad crash, not only losing a great plane but also a man losing his life - RIP.

Heritage and British culture are something that we're all supposed to be ashamed of in post-1960s Britain.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!