PDA

View Full Version : Steve Jobs resigns as CEO of Apple

RyRy
24-08-2011, 10:40 PM
http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2011/08/24/steve-jobs-resigns-as-apple-ceo/

Here is the just released letter from Steve Jobs:
PRESS RELEASE: Letter from Steve Jobs

August 24, 2011–To the Apple Board of Directors and the Apple Community:

I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple’s CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come.

I hereby resign as CEO of Apple. I would like to serve, if the Board sees fit, as Chairman of the Board, director and Apple employee.

As far as my successor goes, I strongly recommend that we execute our succession plan and name Tim Cook as CEO of Apple.

I believe Apple’s brightest and most innovative days are ahead of it. And I look forward to watching and contributing to its success in a new role.

I have made some of the best friends of my life at Apple, and I thank you all for the many years of being able to work alongside you.

Recursion
24-08-2011, 10:42 PM
DID NOT EXPECT THAT. God damn, I hope Apple continue to do as well as they do now, as much as I do hate them as a company.

xxMATTGxx
24-08-2011, 10:43 PM
Wasn't expecting to see this flood my feed on twitter this evening! Most likely for the best if it's due to his health issues or something.

Casanova
24-08-2011, 10:44 PM
Good desision, I don't think he was right for the job and they're close to stagnating if he continues in the position.
He can continue on at Pixar and on the board.

RyRy
Tim Cook elected as CEO of Apple. Oh my days that was faster than how HabboxForum replaces its GMs LOL

& just FML for making that remark!

beth
i honestly didn't think he had long left (lifewise) anyway, but sad to see him go! wish him all the best though, think apple will struggle without him.

xxMATTGxx
24-08-2011, 10:46 PM
Good desision, I don't think he was right for the job and they're close to stagnating if he continues in the position.

You don't think he was right? Isn't he the man who basically saved Apple from going down the drain....

HotelUser
24-08-2011, 10:46 PM
Pretty surprising news!

He wasn't right for the job? He only founded the company and turned it into one of the biggest and leading companies of the tech market today..

Recursion
24-08-2011, 10:48 PM
Pretty surprising news!

He wasn't right for the job? He only founded the company and turned it into one of the biggest and leading companies of the tech market today..

Steve Jobs wasn't the only founder, and he wasn't around for much of Apple's company launch.

Casanova
24-08-2011, 10:49 PM
You don't think he was right? Isn't he the man who basically saved Apple from going down the drain....

He did. He saved them from being a earlier version of Palm.
What I mean is he's stayed on too long. His plans, especially the iPhone brand have meant apple products only sell due to their successful brand, not products.

He is a magician when it comes to selling the brand but his products are continuously out of date when they actually face the market. I just think he needed to go.

PS: They forced him out before because he wasn't right. He was brought back because they needed him, not wanted him.

---------- Post added 24-08-2011 at 11:50 PM ----------

Pretty surprising news!

He was a co-founder who approached someone with a made product... not exactly the founder now is he?
He was forced out and sent to pixar. He sold the brand not the product.

Read above Dave.
PS don't ignore me on MSN. Get manners!

HotelUser
24-08-2011, 10:50 PM
What I mean is he's stayed on too long. His plans, especially the iPhone brand have meant apple products only sell due to their successful brand, not products.

He is a magician when it comes to selling the brand but his products are continuously out of date when they actually face the market. I just think he needed to go.

PS: They forced him out before because he wasn't right. He was brought back because they needed him, not wanted him.

So you think he wasn't right for the job but they needed him? Also, you're saying the tens of thousands of Apple employes never wanted him at all? Not one??

Steve Jobs wasn't the only founder, and he wasn't around for much of Apple's company launch.

He certainly contributed to the prosperity of Apple in the beginning that goes without saying - and remember they were doing horrible until he returned. Hence, he did wonders for Apple.

Casanova
24-08-2011, 10:53 PM
So you think he wasn't right for the job but they needed him? Also, you're saying the tens of thousands of Apple employes never wanted him at all? Not one??

He certainly contributed to the prosperity of Apple in the beginning that goes without saying - and remember they were doing horrible until he returned. Hence, he did wonders for Apple.

You always seem to manipulate and warp what I write? Is it compulsive or just for my benefit?

They needed him to pull back from the brink. They didn't want him but needed him. It can happen, they need his abilities but didn't actually want HIM - they wanted HIS skills.

Not sure what the heck you're meaning by the employee bit? His employee's like him, his board didn't for a long time. They liked the figures though :)?

Agnostic Bear
24-08-2011, 10:53 PM
Literally never laughed harder in my life. Fantastic news!

HotelUser
24-08-2011, 11:46 PM
http://www.google.ca/finance?client=ob&q=NASDAQ:AAPL

After hour trading Apple is down 5%

GommeInc
25-08-2011, 12:27 AM
This is quite unexpected, Apple have been rife with activity in the last few months. Not much else to say on the matter as I found the man an irritation. If it's for health reasons, it's probably for the best. Not sure if I care if Apple get hurt by this or advance.

iLogan
25-08-2011, 01:27 AM
Quite shocked to see him go!

iBlueBox
25-08-2011, 07:04 AM
May hate Apple, But you've gotta admire the man who turned the whole company around and got Apple where they are today,

AgnesIO
25-08-2011, 08:27 AM
i honestly didn't think he had long left (lifewise) anyway, but sad to see him go! wish him all the best though, think apple will struggle without him.

You are talking about him like he is dead? :S

---------- Post added 24-08-2011 at 11:50 PM ----------

He was a co-founder who approached someone with a made product... not exactly the founder now is he?
He was forced out and sent to pixar. He sold the brand not the product.

Read above Dave.
PS don't ignore me on MSN. Get manners!

Unbelievable. Steve Jobs is an absolute genius. You say the products are not good enough, but maybe not (and I have said this all along). But the marketing skills used to create that brand is simply incredible, his products in my opinion are often out of date when they face the market. But what is the most valuable tech company in the world? Clearly, the brand sells itself - simply incredible.

I have been expecting this for a while now, and have no doubts Jobs leaving will have a long time effect on the company. He remains as Chairman, and Tim Cook has basically been CEO since January.

Chippiewill
25-08-2011, 09:17 AM
Should be interesting to see how Apple stock falls when the markets reopen, but the premarket stock (not sure what it means to be honest) has already dropped 5%.

AgnesIO
25-08-2011, 10:18 AM
Should be interesting to see how Apple stock falls when the markets reopen, but the premarket stock (not sure what it means to be honest) has already dropped 5%.

Now would be the time to buy :P

DaveTaylor
25-08-2011, 10:57 AM
It's a shame to see him go, Apple where is **** til he "took over" and hes brought them back to become one of the most well respected companies in the world, I have no doubt Tim Cook will do just a good as him, however it's good to see Steve Jobs is still sitting on the board.

Chippiewill
25-08-2011, 07:34 PM
Now would be the time to buy :P
Yeah, well interestingly it's now only down 0.6% so it's actually doing really well considering. I think if Steve steps down completely (Which seems likely really within the next 2-3 years) then the stock will just plummet. I half expected to find it drop by 20% but because he's staying on as chairman I think it's ok really.

Nemo
25-08-2011, 08:02 PM
https://plus.google.com/u/2/107117483540235115863/posts/gcSStkKxXTw

Just gonna leave this here.

Chippiewill
25-08-2011, 08:25 PM

Just really shows the dedication to his job and to details. This is what tech journalists refer to as the Apple polish.

-Danube-
25-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Didnt think it would have been long off :(

I hope he's ok healthwise, loss to the company but maybe a fresh face will spice things up a little.

GommeInc
25-08-2011, 10:44 PM

An interesting story, but not that amazing or different to other CEOs, entrepreneurs and business men or women. Many have made decisions to polish up their products or ideas by phoning at random or turning up at the doorstop of friends and employees to go through ideas. It's entrepreneurship at its finest and this is just one of a few thousand stories. The only good thing is that the story is relevant and involves characters people actually know :P

HotelUser
27-08-2011, 12:11 PM
http://ll-media.tmz.com/2011/08/26/0826-steve-jobs-02pcn-credit-1.jpg

I don't know how authentic those pictures are, but just wow.

Taken from http://www.tmz.com/2011/08/26/steve-jobs-apple-photo-resignation-ceo-sick

Nemo
27-08-2011, 12:25 PM
http://ll-media.tmz.com/2011/08/26/0826-steve-jobs-02pcn-credit-1.jpg

I don't know how authentic those pictures are, but just wow.

Taken from http://www.tmz.com/2011/08/26/steve-jobs-apple-photo-resignation-ceo-sick
They're fake.
http://i.imgur.com/WV5Y0.jpg

james,
27-08-2011, 02:36 PM
I hope apple still go strong if I am honest.

HotelUser
27-08-2011, 03:50 PM
They're fake.
http://i.imgur.com/WV5Y0.jpg

Really? I sure hope so. Either way I feel bad for him. The fact that anyone's developed cancer is horrible. The fact that he did and someone's produced false pictures like this is disgusting.

AgnesIO
27-08-2011, 04:19 PM
Really? I sure hope so. Either way I feel bad for him. The fact that anyone's developed cancer is horrible. The fact that he did and someone's produced false pictures like this is disgusting.

Fairly certain they are fake. They certainly look very fake to me, just a few features on them that blast out fake imo

xxMATTGxx
27-08-2011, 06:08 PM
TMZ didn't take the photo and must of paid hell of a lot of money of a big company who take such photographs. I don't want to believe it and there is a big debate about it being fake or even photo shopped, but let's face it. He wasn't doing well or looking well in the recent keynotes and the chances of this actually being him is very big. It's such a shame to see him like this, cancer is a *****.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=2101+Waverley+St.+Palo+Alto,+CA+94301&hl=en&ll=37.435067,-122.140567&spn=0.010206,0.018754&client=safari&gl=us&z=16&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=37.435151,-122.140479&panoid=51NaFiocegHw_P3YNTFFrw&cbp=12,128.74,,1,9.55

I believe that's where he lives or one of his houses and if you look @ the background of the photo it looks very similar. It may of been edited slightly to make him look worse but he's been looking frail and so on for quite some time now.

peteyt
31-08-2011, 07:51 PM
I've never been an Apple fan, in the sense of a massive one, but you got to respect him in what he has done, same goes to bill gates. I just hope he has as much of a comfortable life as possible.

I wonder if the new CEO however would consider flash on iphones

AgnesIO
31-08-2011, 08:44 PM
I've never been an Apple fan, in the sense of a massive one, but you got to respect him in what he has done, same goes to bill gates. I just hope he has as much of a comfortable life as possible.

I wonder if the new CEO however would consider flash on iphones

haha. no.

GommeInc
01-09-2011, 11:48 AM
haha. no.
Indeed, but to enlarge on this - Jobs still decides what goes in the final product. He may have quit as CEO, but he's still Chairman of the Board so he still pulls a lot of power. He's basically the Queen, they go to him to dissolve the CEO and make final decisions.

I wonder if the new CEO will push to fix things with Adobe? Without them, Macs have lost their "Macs are for designers" badge.

peteyt
07-09-2011, 07:41 PM
Indeed, but to enlarge on this - Jobs still decides what goes in the final product. He may have quit as CEO, but he's still Chairman of the Board so he still pulls a lot of power. He's basically the Queen, they go to him to dissolve the CEO and make final decisions.

I wonder if the new CEO will push to fix things with Adobe? Without them, Macs have lost their "Macs are for designers" badge.

That would be great. I wonder if Adobe could actually force them. I mean they make their programs Mac compatible, and Apple repays them by removing Flash from some of their key products. It doesn't sound fair and flash while annoying at times is handy. I wouldn't be surprised if they waved the fear of removing Mac compatibility or would that be too far.

GommeInc
07-09-2011, 08:11 PM
If I was the head of Adobe, I would pull the plug on Mac and just watch it crumble. Macs are nice, don't get me wrong, but Apple ruins the whole range of its products. Think of the Apple badge as a bit of dog poop, that they like planting on their products - that sums up what I think at least :P

Apple should reconsider the move against flash, flash is still important on the web and in use.

Chippiewill
07-09-2011, 09:12 PM
Apple should reconsider the move against flash, flash is still important on the web and in use.
We have html5 now, you don't need flash any more, wait two years and flash will be dead.

HotelUser
07-09-2011, 09:13 PM
If I was the head of Adobe, I would pull the plug on Mac and just watch it crumble. Macs are nice, don't get me wrong, but Apple ruins the whole range of its products. Think of the Apple badge as a bit of dog poop, that they like planting on their products - that sums up what I think at least :P

I really don't want to deal with flash :P

Recursion
08-09-2011, 01:11 PM
Liking the way you guys bash Flash, fact of the matter is that it's much more widely supported than HTML5 (currently + more versatile than HTML5 so far) and IMO we'll still be with Flash for AT LEAST 3 yearsish.

peteyt
08-09-2011, 11:06 PM
Liking the way you guys bash Flash, fact of the matter is that it's much more widely supported than HTML5 (currently + more versatile than HTML5 so far) and IMO we'll still be with Flash for AT LEAST 3 yearsish.

Was just going to say something similar. HTML5 might be good, but a lot of people aren't using it yet and can't really say which is more reliable.

Lots of people use Flash and by saying no to flash, it's like apple are inviting adobe to cause a problem.

There was an interesting blog I read to about HTML5 and some code that apparently belong to Apple, stating that Apple where using the whole it's got problems thing as a way to hide the fact they owned some code or something along those lines

HotelUser
08-09-2011, 11:30 PM

I don't mind flash for video players (though there is alternative options these days) and for certain exceptions, but they're not making website interfaces like this (http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/08/google-music-beta-crosses-the-aisle-launches-for-ios-via-web-ap/), GMail, Yahoo, Facebook mobile in flash. All of those are done with pretty CSS and Javascript - so in that regard I do not want to see flash being used - when it comes to interface design and creation flash is not in the future. Anywhere. Not at all.

peteyt
09-09-2011, 12:24 AM
I don't mind flash for video players (though there is alternative options these days) and for certain exceptions, but they're not making website interfaces like this (http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/08/google-music-beta-crosses-the-aisle-launches-for-ios-via-web-ap/), GMail, Yahoo, Facebook mobile in flash. All of those are done with pretty CSS and Javascript - so in that regard I do not want to see flash being used - when it comes to interface design and creation flash is not in the future. Anywhere. Not at all.

It might not be the future but with certain things it is the present.

but in simple terms, flash is used for stuff, and by ignoring and not including it Apple are peeing a lot of people off.

---------- Post added 09-09-2011 at 01:24 AM ----------

It might not be the future but with certain things it is the present.

but in simple terms, flash is used for stuff, and by ignoring and not including it Apple are peeing a lot of people off.

Jordy
09-09-2011, 12:29 AM
Whenever I used my iPad I never miss flash, most blogs etc only include videos which are compatible with iOS or YouTube which is also compatible. Facebook, BBC News and YouTube strike me as the only major websites using Flash and you can easily get around this by using their apps. And of course I don't miss flash games as there's more than enough decent gaming apps to download.

Occasionally you get festival/band websites which are ALL flash and there's little you can do about that but quite frankly I can't stand websites which are all flash anyway, difficult to navigate and quite laggy sometimes.

Good riddance.

GommeInc
09-09-2011, 01:28 PM
Whenever I used my iPad I never miss flash, most blogs etc only include videos which are compatible with iOS or YouTube which is also compatible. Facebook, BBC News and YouTube strike me as the only major websites using Flash and you can easily get around this by using their apps. And of course I don't miss flash games as there's more than enough decent gaming apps to download.

Occasionally you get festival/band websites which are ALL flash and there's little you can do about that but quite frankly I can't stand websites which are all flash anyway, difficult to navigate and quite laggy sometimes.

Good riddance.
Then you get this argument of: Why should Apple dictate and decide the future of the internet?

They should stop support for Flash when Flash is virtually dead and gone, but it's far from that and the interest in HTML5 is pretty low. Jobs for some unknown reason keeps stating it's a dead format, but it isn't - but of course he must know what is right because he's created this god-like appearance for himself and the sheep naturally follow. It's a poor decision to not allow Flash, and it's shown quite a few arguments against buying Apple products - no Flash, and Apple dictating what people want.

Chippiewill
09-09-2011, 06:36 PM
I'd rather that websites properly supported mobile devices rather than giving them choppy flash videos. Hence html5 because video playback is much less CPU intensive.

Recursion
09-09-2011, 07:48 PM
I'd rather that websites properly supported mobile devices rather than giving them choppy flash videos. Hence html5 because video playback is much less CPU intensive.

Cant say Flash on my HTC Desire or my dad's EeePad Transformer is at all choppy.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!