PDA

View Full Version : New facebook "ticker"

Firehorse
28-08-2011, 04:31 PM
I think this new thing is a complete breach of privacy. Shows everything your friends are doing with no way of opting out of having your activity being broadcast by it as well. I don't need all my friends to know i've commented on another friend's photo or status etc, just the friend i'm communicating with.

Who's with me on this? I made a petition page to get rid of it, or at least give us an option to opt out.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Petition-to-remove-the-new-Ticker-it-breaches-our-privacy/153580038061287?sk=wall

Huggies
28-08-2011, 04:43 PM
Its annoying as hell.
Reloaded and saw that in the corner, though there was a mistake.
It makes the window feel to full and packed..

Andys
28-08-2011, 04:45 PM
I don't understand why they've put it on, it's basically the same as the news feed except it also tells you when someone likes a photo/comment/status?

Firehorse
28-08-2011, 04:46 PM
Its annoying as hell.
Reloaded and saw that in the corner, though there was a mistake.
It makes the window feel to full and packed..

For me it's less of it taking up the window, but the fact you cannot choose to not have your activity displayed for everybody to see.
I know the information is generally open anyway, but beforehand you'd have to go and look for it and it still had a form of privacy to it, but now it's front page news if you like someone's status.

A shame facebook is doing this, the only reason they can get away with these stupid updates is because it's now the hub where everyone stays in contact.
5 years ago an update like this could have ruined facebook.

Huggies
28-08-2011, 04:50 PM
Before they update, they should do a test on the average Facebook user. Personal opinion.

Firehorse
28-08-2011, 04:53 PM
I think the people who work at facebook don't understand that in other cultures and parts of the world people interact socially in different ways. They're still designing facebook for people to have small groups of close-knit friends when the reality is quite different in most cases.

Smits
28-08-2011, 05:01 PM
Ohh i finally see it! Doesn't bother me, all that information is readily available anyway!

Stephen!
28-08-2011, 05:06 PM
So this is a mini news feed next to my news feed. Genius.

Firehorse
28-08-2011, 05:13 PM
I think that instant outcry worked, not just the page I made but on other discussion boards. It seems to have dissapeared, or just me?

Perhaps they turned it on accidentally, like that last accident that made them close facebook down for half an hour.

Stephen!
28-08-2011, 05:14 PM
Mines gone

Jordan
28-08-2011, 05:16 PM
mines gone too

Source
28-08-2011, 05:18 PM
It's not breaching your privacy though, don't know why on earth you'd think that.

It's a real time feed of your friends activity, activity that you can already view by viewing a persons profile.

Chris
28-08-2011, 05:18 PM
Vanished for me too, but I didn't actually mind it. :P

Smits
28-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Looks like it wasn't well recieved!

Firehorse
28-08-2011, 05:21 PM
It's not breaching your privacy though, don't know why on earth you'd think that.

It's a real time feed of your friends activity, activity that you can already view by viewing a persons profile.

In my opinion yes it is. This is too far out of my personal comfort zone, and many others. Perhaps not yours but then again we're all individuals.
It was more private before, people would have to make an effort if they wanted to find something out, it's the difference between casually seeing what people are doing rather than following them around 24/7 to know absolutely everything. They shouldn't call it a ticker they should call it a stalker feed.

xxMATTGxx
28-08-2011, 05:28 PM
At least have some options for it at least, like disabling it fully and not being part of it or something. But I didn't find it useful, pretty much pointless and silly. All good for now as it seems they have removed it again!

Flisker
28-08-2011, 05:33 PM
I didn't even see it to begin with, what information did it show?

Firehorse
28-08-2011, 05:37 PM
I didn't even see it to begin with, what information did it show?

All activity. E.g.

Who just came online/went offline
Who just likes who's status, comment, photo, activity etc
Who just commented on who's status, comment, photo, activity etc
All your pages activity, so and so page liked their own status

And probably more stuff that doesn't happen every minute, like things to do with friend requests, relationships and updating your info etc.

Beforehand you could delete your activity from your wall and it would do the same so nobody else saw in their news feeds. This ticker seemingly gave you no control at all over what it displayed of your activity.

Flisker
28-08-2011, 05:39 PM
All activity. E.g.

Who just came online/went offline
Who just likes who's status, comment, photo, activity etc
Who just commented on who's status, comment, photo, activity etc
All your pages activity, so and so page liked their own status

And probably more stuff that doesn't happen every minute, like things to do with friend requests, relationships and updating your data etc.

Beforehand you could delete your activity from your wall and it would do the same so nobody else saw in their news feeds. This ticker seemingly gave you no control at all over what it displayed of your activity.

Oh right that seems a bit 'sucky'.

rnix
28-08-2011, 05:40 PM
Part of me liked it and part of me didn't - Not bothered its gone now!

Firehorse
28-08-2011, 05:42 PM
Vegas edited his post so this one is meaningless now, mod please delete.

Johno
28-08-2011, 07:01 PM
I had this a while back and I didn't like it.

Imosae
28-08-2011, 07:14 PM
Here's a video to the people that might of missed it.. and it hope stays away forever actually as there is no point in it if we already have a news feed and then Facebook decide to add ''mini'' news feed instead; useless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TKW1UuwqjE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TKW1UuwqjE

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!