PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry Assistance

Casanova
31-08-2011, 11:37 PM
This is a lil document I had typed up for other reasons.
It's not meant to sound patronising, it's intended for new blackberry user's whom are novices to smartphones. I think it would help blackberry user's old and new.

PS: If anyone needs advice you could try me, I'm not too bad depending on the issue!

Your Blackberry device is a smartphone. Being a smartphone, your phone uses and stores data in differing ways.

Your new Blackberry takes all your data (contacts, facebook, emails, social feeds etc) and stores it on the phone. None of your data/media files will be stored on the Sim card; all your media will remain on your Micro SD card.

To set up your phone it couldn’t be more simple!
· Back up all your contacts to sim in your old phone
· Place your OLD sim card in your Blackberry device.
· Once loaded, your set up menu shall load
· Scroll down to “Sim contact Sync”
· Once loaded onto Blackberry, remove your old Sim
· Replace with your new network Sim (unless you are porting your number!)

Your Blackberry phone is of course like most smartphones, in need of due care!
Your Blackberry phone stores more information that you’re aware of, in most cases. To ensure that your phone is “Backed Up”, upgraded software and protected (If you lose/break/need to repair your device) you must utilise RIM Blackberry Desktop manager.

To Download and use Blackberry Desktop Manager please follow:

· Remove the disk from your box
· Place in CD disk drive
· Follow the set up menu and install ‘desktop manager’ - you can install the media manager if you wish. It isn’t necessary though!
· Once loaded, link your Blackberry phone with your USB cable to your PC/Laptop
· Name your phone
· Listed is your phone, model, software edition and so on. Below software edition you will notice “Last backed up: Never”, underneath there is a button to update your phone
· click it
· You will be prompted with “you haven’t backed up your Blackberry, do you wish to do so?”
· Click ‘Yes’
· After backing up and updating, your phone is set!

You must ensure you back up your phone regularly and ensure your software is on the latest edition. Most faults that occur with blackberry’s are down to old editions of software being prone to new faults. Being the first time you have backed up and upgraded your software, it’s easy to do next time around!

· Load Blackberry Desktop Manager
· Link with USB cable
· On the top left hand side there is a few options, click through and pick “Back up”
· Once backed up, check for “Update”
· You’re set to go!

It may seem like a lot of work but this means you’ll never lose your IMPORTANT Information.
Further Assistance / Information

Bluetooth works differently on a Blackberry device. Unknown to some is that Blackberry phones always and foremost work on the idea or privacy and protection. They’re the safest, mainstream Smartphones!

To use you your Bluetooth, follow the simple guidelines:
· Go into “Media”
· Go into “Music”
· Press your Blackberry Menu button
· Find “Receive using Bluetooth”
· Click and accept
· Sync with intended person, hey presto!

Your phone should then, after a period of inactivity turn off your Bluetooth availability.

Blackberry devices are also unique in the way they access your internet. They rely on the use of a “Blackberry Server”. This is another security factor of a Blackberry. Your information travels via Blackberry’s highway instead of with normal phone traffic through your network.

Occasionally when you first use your Blackberry/ swap Blackberry devices you’ll notice you’re not able to use BBM, Internet web browsing or set up emails. All three rely on your Blackberry being registered on the Server!

Don’t panic!

If in the top right-hand side corner you see an X next to a little pylon sign, it shows that your SIM card isn’t activated on your new network yet, don’t worry; this can take upto twenty-four hours.

If in the same corner you have signal but it shows in small font instead of CAPITAL LETTERS, ie 3g instead of 3G or gprs instead of GPRS you need to call your network and ask them to “re-register your device with the blackberry server”. Explain your “Bolt on isn’t working/activated yet”.

Top Tips!

· Your phone is always ‘on’. Even when powered off. To ensure your phone operates normally and at optimal speeds ‘reset’ your phone about twice a week. Simply remove the back and pull out the battery, replace. This just reboot’s the phone.
· A three hour charge is the optimal amount of full charge. Any longer and your Battery can drain after prolonged charging.
· To download blackberry app world (for applications/personalisation of your phone) go to www.blackberry.com > click “Blackberry app World” > click “Download here” > click download
· Ever need to know your number/pin whilst on facebook/typing a message? Type “mypin” or “mynumber” and they’ll pop up!
· Search for a circle with a question mark similar to -> (?) <- as that’s your in-built help menu.

For Blackberry Online Support: http://uk.blackberry.com/support/devices/

Allan

Metric1
02-09-2011, 04:50 AM
Blackberry Protect solves needing to plug your phone in to back it up.

Casanova
02-09-2011, 06:18 PM
it backs up more than protect.
No point complicating it.

Sharon
02-09-2011, 06:31 PM
ok hi basically my auntie (the rich one) lost her blackberry like 2 days ago (shes in hong kong... she lives there) and when she phones up the manager of the restaurant she thinks she lost it at and stuff he was like sososo rude liek "are you accusing me of taking it" no we are just asking if you've seen it?

anyway she has blackberry protect on it as well if that helps so yeah HOW CAN SHE GET IT BACK shes even gone out and bought a new one straight away as she needs one so much shes actually a very busy buisness woman with like 10 email accounts i really feel for her

Casanova
02-09-2011, 06:49 PM
tell her to sign in HERE (https://blackberryid.blackberry.com/bbid/login/?callbackuri=aHR0cHM6Ly9wcm90ZWN0LmJsYWNrYmVycnkuY 29tL3Byb3RlY3QvYXcvbG9naW4%3D&authtype=YmJwcm90ZWN0d2Vi&css=YmJpZGNzc19ibHVl&locale=ZW4%3D) and see if she can track it with GPS or wipe it remotely.

hamheyelliot
02-09-2011, 07:00 PM
Nice guide, might be good somewhere like the GiffGaff forum! Just a general question but which model do you own?

Casanova
07-09-2011, 08:55 PM
I don't own a blackberry anymore, apart from a playbook.
I did have a bold 9700, then a bold 9780, then a torch 9800.
By far the most stable (and least issue was 9780).

I have an upgrade next month, i'm gonna get one of the three devices released this month probably.

Wasn't giffgaff ceasing all operations?

Jack!
07-09-2011, 09:11 PM
I don't own a blackberry anymore, apart from a playbook.
I did have a bold 9700, then a bold 9780, then a torch 9800.
By far the most stable (and least issue was 9780).

I have an upgrade next month, i'm gonna get one of the three devices released this month probably.

Wasn't giffgaff ceasing all operations?

Neah, I'm on Giffgaff, prices gone up (Texts 6p, Calls 8p/min) but they are still cheap and going strong!

Casanova
07-09-2011, 09:13 PM
I'm getting confused, they're the community owned network - you basically help to run your own network sort of thing?
It's gonna annoy me the name of the people who ceased trading!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!