PDA

View Full Version : The 4G Auction

AgnesIO
02-09-2011, 09:48 AM
Heyy :)

So the 4G auction is supposed to happen in early 2011.

If you are wondering, 4G is basically the step up from 3G mobile networks - so when it comes 4G phones will be able to get much faster internet.

However, I didn't make this thread as an informative thing for 'newbies'. I was basically wondering if anyone has a more accurate time than early 2011 for when the spectrum will be auctioned off, and when we can realistically expect 4G phones?

---------- Post added 02-09-2011 at 10:54 AM ----------

Awkwardly written a few hours ago..

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/News/12524/UK_4G_spectrum_auction_faces_further_delay.aspx

Casanova
07-09-2011, 08:59 PM
I remember reading it was delayed.
I assume that Everything Everywhere will launch into it, feet first. They are trying hard with HD voice so I assume with their hands at the ready for new tech they'd want right in there!

Three UK would like to think they'd be in there but their finances are still gastly with the forever possible pull out of whimpy-hutchison.

I'm assuming about 2015 will be the earliest of trials. In Jersey.

AgnesIO
07-09-2011, 09:04 PM
I assume that Everything Everywhere will launch into it, feet first. They are trying hard with HD voice so I assume with their hands at the ready for new tech they'd want right in there!

Three UK would like to think they'd be in there but their finances are still gastly with the forever possible pull out of whimpy-hutchison.

Might as well get another phone for a couple of years then!

xxMATTGxx
07-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Might as well get another phone for a couple of years then!

May as well, 4G for the UK seems to be some years away yet.

Casanova
07-09-2011, 09:09 PM
They normally trial first in jersey.
I found this pocket lint article saying 2013, I personally doubt that since it's been rolled back again.

I'd assume 2015, hope for 2014!

[x] (http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/37946/when-is-4g-coming-to-uk)

I find it strange they all said they'd trialed it apart from three, I really doubt they've done actual geographical trials (ie in areas, as opposed to just confined spaces/their land?).

JoeyK.
09-09-2011, 07:43 AM
As quick as it is, 4G really does have a huge drain on battery life... I haven't really left it on very often. Would be nice for you guys to have the option though.

Recursion
09-09-2011, 07:58 AM

Pretty much summed it up.

They'll all be fighting for spectrum space regardless of HD Voice (you can do that on current technology, e.g. Orange have rolled it out I think), I read somewhere that every operator is going to have some sort of 4G spectrum, regardless of finances, though how true that is I don't know.

No point worrying about buying a 4G phone for at least 3 years :/

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!