PDA

View Full Version : cat with small holes in skin - possible gunshot wounds? help!

Special
12-09-2011, 04:34 PM
ok so it starts about a week ago when my cats claw appeared to have been 'ripped out', me and my mum thought he had climbed a fence and ripped it out

anyway i came home from college today and my mum showed me what's happened to the cat

he has 3 perfect wounds near his bum, on his leg & on his back. they are perfect circular wounds which look just just like he has been shot with a bb gun or something

however i've just been looking online and there is a thing called 'cuterebra' which is like a worm which has the similar perfect wounds

2 of them have kinda dried up but one is still bleeding slowly

but if it's the worms why didn't the vet say anything???

help?! :S

Accipiter
12-09-2011, 04:39 PM
Take it to the vet now?

It's the only way you can prove which really

Recursion
12-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Don't ask here for advice on your cat. Go to a vet.

Slowpoke
12-09-2011, 04:50 PM
But do let us know how it gets on! :(

Special
12-09-2011, 05:56 PM
we have already taken him to the vet, she said they were just bites, which is very hard to believe because there is literally 1 perfect hole (not 2 like you would expect from a bite) - one on his leg, one on his back & one near his bum

Jordan:A
12-09-2011, 06:01 PM
Did the vet give anything for the holes/bites?

Special
12-09-2011, 06:04 PM
no, she injected him with antibiotics and painkillers & then squeezed the wounds in hope that either a bullet or a worm would pop out, but nothing did

she also advised us to bath the wounds twice a day with salt water

Hopeless
12-09-2011, 06:08 PM
I know this is weird but I use BB guns regularly. I could tell you should you show me a picture of the wounds. Close up please.

msal
12-09-2011, 06:10 PM
*REMOVED*

Edited by Infectious (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not make inappropriate posts!

beth
12-09-2011, 06:14 PM
^ohmygodlol.

but yeah there have been numerous stories over the past couple of years of stories about cats being shot at with bb guns, which is disgusting.

Special
12-09-2011, 06:23 PM
*REMOVED*

13 year old i'm guessing?

and yeah i'll upload pictures later if i can be bothered ha

Accipiter
12-09-2011, 06:38 PM
I would have thought a BB bullet would bruise the surrounding skin

She might have meant insect bites, meaning there would only be 1 hole

Recursion
12-09-2011, 06:48 PM
BB pellets don't make "holes"... or at least on human skin anyway (from experience... ouch), but they do leave a small round scar that heals very quickly and doesn't tend to bruise the surrounding area.

Accipiter
12-09-2011, 06:50 PM
BB pellets don't make "holes"... or at least on human skin anyway (from experience... ouch), but they do leave a small round scar that heals very quickly and doesn't tend to bruise the surrounding area.

Could be an air rifle, or over powered illegal BB Guns.

But I wouldn't expect either to leave a perfect hole, more of a gash as it would tear surrounding skin upon entry.

Special
12-09-2011, 06:57 PM
hm so it's looking more towards the little worm things?

Accipiter
12-09-2011, 06:58 PM
Worms or maybe one of those fly infections, where, you know... flies land on the cats bum and lay lave inside then they grow out of the skin or something.

dbgtz
12-09-2011, 08:37 PM
Worms or maybe one of those fly infections, where, you know... flies land on the cats bum and lay lave inside then they grow out of the skin or something.

oh yummy

Accipiter
12-09-2011, 08:41 PM
oh yummy

Glad I don't like cats really

tdi
22-09-2011, 08:26 PM
Worms live inside the cat, but shouldn't be present if the cat is wormed regularly ie every three months (or less depending on the brand of wormer).

It won't be fleas or ticks as you will find they both live around the neck of the cat, aswell as under the legs in the equivalent of cat 'armpits' - fleas would mean there would be eggs/faeces on the cat which are miniscule black dots, about the same size as a grain of salt. Ticks 'bite' into the cat so the head will be in the skin and the body will be visible. Again, regular flea treatment should prevent this.

'Gunshot wounds' is quite a high possibility, as people are often cruel to cats which is disgusting and shows a complete lack of any morals or decency. If you believe it is this, keep an eye on the cat to make sure she's not in any pain (ie, internal injuries, problems when walking etc) - if any signs show up take her to the vet straight away. Just make sure they heal up.

Your best bet if you believe it to be down to cruelty is keep the cat inside. It's not 'cruel' as cats are domesticated animals and can adapt to living inside.

Vernier
26-09-2011, 05:34 PM
People who shoot cats with BB guns are disgusting imo.

David.

GirlNextDoor15
27-09-2011, 09:34 AM
Bring the cat to the vet. Stop hitting around the bushes before it's too late.

DPS
29-09-2011, 09:56 AM
Sounds like air rifle shots to me.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!