PDA

View Full Version : Out of education and finding work, how are/did you deal with it?

Accipiter
16-09-2011, 03:52 PM
This year I chose not to go to uni because I felt i'd rather put my effort into finding my career prospects through experience rather than a piece of nice shiny paper costing me 30k.

I know this isn't possible for some going into medical professions etc, but once you left full time education, from school / college / uni how long did it take you to find your first job in the career you had your mind set on? Did you change your career prospects or leave them open to choice?

So how is your path going?

My long reply:

I've been roughly out of college 2 month, sending out cover letters, job shadowing & work experience requests all over the joint, the furthest I progressed so far was voluntary work in marketing & promotions that I never heard back from (contacted them recently) & getting up to a telephone interview for N Power (not a chosen career path but a helpful one)

I've found it quite hard getting a response so far, but I'll admit, I really only just shoved a bomb up my arse handing out the applications left right & centre. Where I live isn't helping my situation on career but it still has plenty of open opportunities now that i've looked!

So currently i'm doing a 2 week course to help me in communications / retail / sales / tele communication etc, while still handing out applications all over!

So all in all not the fastest of starts but I never really expected that and was warned by lecturers, and I may have the opportunity to work in the media department in my old college if i'm lucky or hear any more word back :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!