PDA

View Full Version : The Future of Facebook

October
22-09-2011, 06:47 PM
Looks like this: http://www.facebook.com/about/timeline

I like it! And it'll force G+ to update.

Facebook is driven by a single, unique goal. Its priority isn’t to gain more users (it already has 750 million of those), nor does it feel compelled to find stupid ways to increase pageviews. Its primary goal right now isn’t to increase revenue, either — that will come later.

No, Facebook’s goal is to become the social layer that supports, powers and connects every single piece of the web, no matter who or what it is or where it lives. On Thursday at its f8 conference in San Francisco, the world’s largest social network will take a giant leap toward accomplishing that goal.

For Facebook, it all boils down to one problem: emotion. Facebook has hundreds of millions of users and spectacular levels of engagement, but it is a platform that has lost its emotional resonance over the years. More and more people visit Facebook out of necessity rather than desire. It’s a platform people prefer to hate, but won’t leave simply because all their friends are there.

It’s a relationship gone stale. After years of dating, the magic between Facebook and its users has dissipated. It’s a natural evolution in any relationship, but now there is another suitor vying for Facebook’s users. And a lot of people think this suitor is easy on the eyes.

That’s why Facebook launched three recent changes: revamped Friend Lists, a real-time news ticker, and the subscribe button. Friend Lists lets you share content with just your closest friends (with whom you have the strongest emotional connection), and the ticker lets you have real-time conversations with your friends as soon as they do anything. Subscribe lets you fill your News Feed with people you admire and respect, fostering a different type of emotional connection.

But these changes are just the beginning. The changes Facebook will roll out on Thursday are designed to enhance the emotional connection its users have to each other through Facebook. These changes will make Facebook a place where nearly everything in your life is enhanced by your social graph. These changes will make it so you know your friends better than you ever thought you could.

On Thursday, developers will be elated, users will be shellshocked and the competition will look ancient. On Thursday, Facebook will be reborn. Prepare yourselves for the evolution of social networking.

Anyone watching the f8 conference?

jackass
22-09-2011, 07:28 PM
It looks pretty interesting! I've signed myself up for it anyway for when it's ready. :)

Oh, and that video - I love how he just throws his child recklessly into the snow.

beth
22-09-2011, 07:31 PM
i think it looks sweet! signed up. :)

Lamz
22-09-2011, 07:35 PM
dislike but i signed up to see what it will be like... if it's ****... i will stay on twitter

Neversoft
22-09-2011, 07:36 PM
How horribly depressing. Facebook is going to end up like bloody Skynet.

Ajthedragon
22-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Hate google+. :(

And ever since chat went ******ed I haven't been a fan of fb's geek people either! :P

HotelUser
22-09-2011, 09:42 PM
It reminds me even more of Google+

and Google+ always reminded me of facebook :P

Jssy
22-09-2011, 10:15 PM
I really love this :D when will it be out?

peteyt
23-09-2011, 12:14 AM
I'm not sure. If done good could be a nice fresh image.

GoldenMerc
23-09-2011, 01:15 AM
Defiantly looks exciting.

October
23-09-2011, 08:08 AM
I really love this :D when will it be out?Soon, I believe. The changes started yesterday apparently.

xxMATTGxx
23-09-2011, 08:16 AM
I've got the new timeline right now but that's due to me signing up and saying I'm a FB developer. I do believe it will be rolling out to people on the 30th September though.

Eric
23-09-2011, 08:17 AM
I love it. Signed up !

Accipiter
23-09-2011, 08:26 AM
Looks brilliant but it might be trying to do to much!

Recursion
23-09-2011, 09:18 AM
It works better for me, I barely used my profile as a sort of "social" space so this 'real world' timeline of your life is really nice in my opinion.

wixard
23-09-2011, 09:26 AM
this looks absolutely terrifying, does nobody else think so?

xxMATTGxx
23-09-2011, 09:32 AM
This was being said on twitter when it was announced: "FB just increased the switching cost of leaving FB: You lose your life."
Sent from my 7 Mozart using Board Express

GommeInc
23-09-2011, 10:17 AM
It looks like Myspace, a mix-match of different boxes and too much information. I don't like it :P Facebook was a nice, clean website - why they've decided to rush updates is beyond me. They need to sit down and design the website to work with these different features, not just chuck them out to contend with other websites.

Infact, it reminds me of Google+, iGoogle and Myspace.

The Don
23-09-2011, 10:54 AM
I don't like it, it brings stalking to a whole new level. I don't want people knowing everything about me, when I read a book, what film I watched last night, how far I ran when I was out on my jog. I find it a bit creepy.

Pawf
23-09-2011, 11:01 AM
I'm using it now too, and I think it's absolutely brilliant. I like the cover picture. It's like I put on as a comment somewhere, it's shamelessly ripped off places like Bebo, MySpace and G+ BUT I'm not bothered, because it has taken the best bits from websites that very few people use any more!

https://www.facebook.com/olijs?sk=timeline

GommeInc
23-09-2011, 03:00 PM
I don't like it, it brings stalking to a whole new level. I don't want people knowing everything about me, when I read a book, what film I watched last night, how far I ran when I was out on my jog. I find it a bit creepy.
If only it was just that :P It goes beyond that level of stalking, and tells other people what pictures you've commented on, who statuses you've liked... It's freakishly pointless :S

DPS
23-09-2011, 03:45 PM
I really like it, ive also signed up :)

Aladdin
23-09-2011, 04:04 PM
it looks nice i like the apps ok

GirlNextDoor15
24-09-2011, 05:24 AM
I don't like the changes on Facebook. It's extremely annoying. :(

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!