PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever seen a snake in the wild?

Mathew
25-09-2011, 10:22 AM
I have a horrible fear of snakes and I saw two on my holiday to Florida last month, so I just wondered if anyone else had seen them in the wild, whether it's in the UK or abroad? Apparently the UK only has three types of snake: Adder, Grass and Smooth. Thankfully I don't think we get them up North, but has anyone else seen them anywhere?

I saw one of them whilst going around Busch Gardens on the train. It was a long black thing, gliding on the top of some shrubbery. I didn't tell anyone I'd seen it until a few minutes afterwards because it was such a shock! :(

Then on our last night we were walking back up to our room and a smaller one was edging its way across the path, until it disappeared under a plantpot. I quickly moved in the opposite direction! :(

It was most shocking because I've been going to Florida pretty much all my life and never seen one... then I saw two in the space of just a few weeks! Ugh.. :(

geo
25-09-2011, 10:35 AM
Err, I've seen one in the UK, I think it was an adder. There was one in the woods and one was in my back garden before. I was quite young then and that's when I wasn't scared of them at all so I didn't mind but if I saw one now I'd be creeped out. :P

Jordan
25-09-2011, 01:31 PM
I've only seen 1 grass snake :O

Accipiter
25-09-2011, 01:39 PM
All 3 of those snakes will probably be quite common in yorkshire moors

My dad said he'd seen this weird kind of snake with slightly developed legs (in this country, small dene near sunderland) and his mate named what it was, can't remember.

But then you have pet snakes let out, theres rumours of sightings of a black adder in a small patch of grass land in my town.

wiktoria
25-09-2011, 02:22 PM
OMG YE!!! I was on a school trip and there was a snake in the middle of the road and we couldn't go any further until it moved omg it was massive!!!

AgnesIO
25-09-2011, 02:58 PM
Grass Snakes, a few in Namibia (not sure what they were).

After being within about ten foot of a rhino a snake seems like a nice thing haha

Kieran
25-09-2011, 03:02 PM
When I rented a villa in Florida there was a Diamondback rattle snake in our garage one morning. My mum had gone in to do some laundry, heard this loud bang and turned around. The snake had dived at her without her realising and hit the door... needless to say she ran out screaming and none of us believed her cause it was hidden when we went and looked.... but we found it in the end.

The man came to get rid of it and just put it in to the sewers! :O

AgnesIO
25-09-2011, 03:09 PM
When I rented a villa in Florida there was a Diamondback rattle snake in our garage one morning. My mum had gone in to do some laundry, heard this loud bang and turned around. The snake had dived at her without her realising and hit the door... needless to say she ran out screaming and none of us believed her cause it was hidden when we went and looked.... but we found it in the end.

The man came to get rid of it and just put it in to the sewers! :O

******* hell lol. Think I would run!

Technologic
25-09-2011, 04:11 PM
Saw a couple of tree snakes in costa rica

Vernier
25-09-2011, 06:13 PM
I've seen an adder while walking through a woody/field bit. It just went under a log so i thought it's best not to disturb it :P

David.

GommeInc
25-09-2011, 06:39 PM
Seens a few. One grass snake going along the sea wall in Suffolk, and a few on holiday (one in a wood in the Netherlands and one on the side of a path in Slovenia). Up north I hear the snakes are of larger build ;)

Mathew
25-09-2011, 06:41 PM
Well I've always been under the impression that we don't get many up North and I go walking anywhere without giving it a second thought..... oh dear.... :(

Neversoft
25-09-2011, 07:59 PM
Yeah, I usually see a couple whenever I go to France.

GommeInc
25-09-2011, 10:12 PM
Well I've always been under the impression that we don't get many up North and I go walking anywhere without giving it a second thought..... oh dear.... :(
Mankini from Harry Potter is a snake found only in Yorkshire with a penchant for attacking people whose names begin with M ;)

Most snakes are virtually harmless or will just glide on by without really thinking about humans. As long as you know where you're treading in woodland you should be fine, though they're more affraid of you than you are of it.

Greed
25-09-2011, 10:16 PM
We have them here, pretty common. We have poisonous ones and harmless ones, but just remember, even if they're not poisonous, they can still have some very nasty bacteria in their mouth.

Red
25-09-2011, 11:48 PM
Mankini from Harry Potter is a snake found only in Yorkshire with a penchant for attacking people whose names begin with M ;)

Most snakes are virtually harmless or will just glide on by without really thinking about humans. As long as you know where you're treading in woodland you should be fine, though they're more affraid of you than you are of it.

Mankini?!? LMAO
And nope never seen one myself. My uncle found one in his garden though.

Ekelektra
26-09-2011, 12:18 AM
I haven't. But my mum saw one once and it was pretty angry and almost bit her :O

AgnesIO
26-09-2011, 07:25 AM

Isn't is Nagini

Eric
26-09-2011, 07:42 AM
Seen one before at my grandma's house. It's a grass snake i guess.

DPS
26-09-2011, 08:27 AM
Yeah near me there is Hackney Marshs, and they have Grass snakes. very rarely seem them but yeah i have seen some while being there.

karter
26-09-2011, 10:52 AM
Dad killed one by his car and he was so upset, he brought the body and showed it to us .. It was horrible

:odey:
26-09-2011, 11:04 AM
I haveeee,
I saw one in Seaworld in Florida, just randomly roaming around, and some kid was trying to poke it with a stick and it looked so angry... haa,
I wanted it to attack him because he was being an idiot, but it didn't </3

GommeInc
26-09-2011, 01:59 PM
Isn't is Nagini
Yes, but I call him Mankini because Nagini is a terrible name that deserves every amount of abuse it can get ;)

Out of interest, has anyone been attacked by a snake? In woods, fields or marshes? Considering how many snakes are in the UK, there isn't much news on snake attacks - though I assume the bites are either useless or they quietly move away when they can smell, hear or see us coming :P

GirlNextDoor15
27-09-2011, 09:36 AM
Yeah. I saw them a few times in my life. Once was when me and my friend normally preparing ourselves for an exam. When she unzipped the bag, boom! There came a snake and I'd to say the teachers had fun catching them. Then, I saw a lot of snakes in the zoo and the safari if that one counts. :P

Hopeless
27-09-2011, 10:29 AM
do slow worms count :(

cberry
27-09-2011, 10:50 AM
I saw a sea snake in Australia on the beach- it wasn't moving but some girl was poking it with a stick- they're really poisonous! I walked pretty quickly in the other direction

Mathew
27-09-2011, 04:04 PM

There's no need to try and frighten me... I'm already petrified! :P Hopefully they would just slide by without attacking me but I'd still go crazy if I saw one.... even moreso in this country! :(

Forgot to say, we went on an Airboat Ride in Florida and saw a water snake too! We got quite close but thankfully I was on the opposite side of the boat! :P

tdi
29-09-2011, 12:42 AM
Never seen a wild snake, but apparently the only (or nearest?) cure for a venomous bite is in Liverpool.

Narnat,
30-09-2011, 12:32 AM
I have seen an Adder and a Grass snake. I saw an Adder when my Uncle and myself were collecting fire wood it was kind of half in half out this hole and I saw a grass snake in a field.

Firehorse
02-10-2011, 03:16 PM
No, but i've seen a very very big snake skin in the south of france

AgnesIO
02-10-2011, 03:19 PM
Yes, but I call him Mankini because Nagini is a terrible name that deserves every amount of abuse it can get ;)

Out of interest, has anyone been attacked by a snake? In woods, fields or marshes? Considering how many snakes are in the UK, there isn't much news on snake attacks - though I assume the bites are either useless or they quietly move away when they can smell, hear or see us coming :P

Apparently..

Naga from Sanskrit for "snake" or "serpent." There were serpent gods found throughout central and east Asia. For example, Naga was a serpent god that inspired a pre-Buddhhist cult in Burma. A nagini in India is a snake being (1) that is worshipped as a god and believed to be protective, including from snake bites. The second definition is along the lines of Voldemort's large female snake: (2) the Nagini were attractive female snake beings with human bodies with either have snake heads or snake coils.

Empired
02-10-2011, 03:39 PM
I saw a whole colony (what do you call a group of snakes?) of adders basking on some rocks up on the border of Scotland/England. It was so weird :S

AgnesIO
02-10-2011, 04:16 PM
I saw a whole colony (what do you call a group of snakes?) of adders basking on some rocks up on the border of Scotland/England. It was so weird :S

"pit"

"nest"

"nest or bed"

"den"

"bed"

Apparently.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!