PDA

View Full Version : Two miners trapped underground at Kellingley Colliery

Jordan
27-09-2011, 05:03 PM
A rescue operation is under way to reach two miners trapped underground in North Yorkshire, the National Union of Mineworkers said.
The union said the men are trapped up their waist by debris after a roof fall at Kellingley Colliery, close to Knottingley.

They are said to be some distance from the entrance shaft. An air ambulance was deployed at about 17:00 BST.

Managed by UK Coal, Kellingley is one of Britain's deepest remaining mines.

It employs about 600 staff and its two main shafts are 800m (2624ft) deep.

North Yorkshire Police said they were alerted to the incident at 17:30.

A spokesperson said all emergency services were at the scene, along with UK Coal.

Rock fall

On 30 November 2010, 200 workers were evacuated from the pit at Kellingley after a methane explosion underground.

Miner Ian Cameron died after equipment fell on him on 18 October 2009.

In September 2008, Don Cook died in a rock fall.

Kellingley supplies coal to local power stations and produces some coal for households.

Earlier this month, four men were killed in a Swansea Valley colliery in Wales.

Quite a shock as a similar story happened earlier this month, hopefully they will be freed soon!

Mathew
27-09-2011, 05:06 PM
The coal mines don't seem to be having much luck recently! :( North Yorkshire too... hope everything goes okay! :(

Mr-Trainor
27-09-2011, 05:21 PM
Not again :(. Hopefully everything goes okay and they're rescued sooner rather than later.

Samantha
01-10-2011, 12:25 AM
The coal mines don't seem to be having much luck recently! :( North Yorkshire too... hope everything goes okay! :(

Always sad when it's one of your own or anyone in that matter<3!

Yeah, it's really bad, I didn't even know the coal mine was still open but then you hear about the deaths all the time in other countries and then when it happens to somewhere near you it's just sad. I think they returned to week today, not sure I think they did, they should bring in more safety measures!

beth
01-10-2011, 02:47 AM
you get what you get with mines, they've never been safe. if i had it my way, i'd close the remaining mines and find a different way of getting the coal or whatever they mine nowadays.

Jordan
01-10-2011, 07:49 AM
One died I believe but the other ones okay. But yeah I agree most are not safe no more!!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!