PDA

View Full Version : Are languages really that important? [+11REP]

Ardemax
03-10-2011, 09:54 PM
Hai guys

Basically my school completely screwed me over regarding which language subjects I could take.

Seeing how I had to take short-course Welsh, there was no other options to pick a language except for French, and I wanted to pick History, so they clashed.

In the end I just dropped the languages thing but I heard they are running after school classes twice a week for French for the exam in the summer. And basically I was wondering, should I attend? Should I really go for a language like French?

How is it, like compared to say English, Maths and Science for Uni?

Do you need a language like French do to particular courses at Uni? (Obviously a language course, but I mean something like ICT or Maths).

Thanks all!

dbgtz
03-10-2011, 10:00 PM
Well, my school said (probably lied) that it looks good as it shows you can adapt to learn much easier, though personally I don't believe this at all and it's mostly experience that will win you some brownie points.

Jazz
04-10-2011, 11:48 AM
My school told me personally that if I took a GCSE in a language it would get you into university easier.. I don't think it does tbh, you can always do a college course on the subject you want to take first and go onto college later?

beth
04-10-2011, 02:20 PM
languages do look good for university, as it's hard to learn another language and it shows an intelligence. there are still a lot of high paying language jobs available and it's always useful to have a second language.

Ardemax
04-10-2011, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the replies!

Is it the end of the world, say, if I don't take French? Could I still go to a decent Uni without a language?

Rozi
04-10-2011, 03:56 PM
Yes you can definitely still go to a good university without a second language, they just come in handy if you want to do a business, PR or customer resources related jobs in the future!

Wig44.
04-10-2011, 04:47 PM
Yeah french will help (for ICT and maths) if you want to study at a french-speaking university, a university in the UK won't give a flying ****. This applies to most courses, not just ICT and maths.

danzooo
04-10-2011, 04:53 PM
In my experience, languages are irrelevant unless you are doing a language course, or a course that has anything to do with a different culture, or being abroad (e.g. Tourism management, etc).

I applied for Business Management at 4 different Scottish universities and received offers from them all, and the only language qualification I have is a '3' for Standard Grade French, which loosely translates to a very average grade for a qualification you do when you're about 15, basically. As long as you have English and Maths, and generally good grades in all your other subjects, you will be fine.

Suspective
04-10-2011, 04:57 PM
I know that you can't get into UCL without a Language GCSE (C+)

But to be honest I don't really think it affects you that much unless you are battling for a place at Oxbridge in which it may give you a couple more points. :P

Special
04-10-2011, 07:08 PM
it really does depend what you want to do after school & at uni

tell me what you want to do at 6th form/college & uni & i'll tell you out of 10 how important it is that you take it

Chippiewill
05-10-2011, 04:11 PM
Basically if you're planning to go to a university which requires A on the entry at all then the language helps, if you plan to go to a university with an A* on it a language is basically required. If you really don't want to do it and you're not going for a super high-end university, just do well in everything else, especially english and maths.

Duracell
07-10-2011, 08:20 PM
If you're going to take a language, at least take one that is used more than French.. Like Spanish, possibly German and I hear Mandarin is quite big with businesses atm!

Narnat,
08-10-2011, 02:52 AM
I think it all depends on what you want to do with your life in the future and if you will need them. Sure it's nice to have a few that you can say you have and it could help if you visit those countries and it will help you get into uni! So I would say you should attend.

Ardemax
08-10-2011, 06:46 PM
Thanks everyone again for the very useful replies!

it really does depend what you want to do after school & at uni

tell me what you want to do at 6th form/college & uni & i'll tell you out of 10 how important it is that you take it

Ummm I was thinking of taken maths, english, chemistry and something else, haha

for uni, i have no idea, maybe something related to ict?

+Rep to all the posts so far!

Chippiewill
08-10-2011, 06:56 PM
Ummm I was thinking of taken maths, english, chemistry and something else, haha

for uni, i have no idea, maybe something related to ict?
Screw taking the language then, focus on your English, Maths and Sciences.

Ardemax
11-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Thanks for that haha! :)

Jin
11-10-2011, 04:19 PM
Tailor your A-level options around your university degree options, otherwise you will find that you will lack the necessary prerequisites required for the course. Maths is always a safe option in any non-creative based degree.

Recursion
11-10-2011, 04:33 PM
So long as you have some form of language at GCSE and aren't planning on taking a language degree at Uni, there shouldn't be a problem really.

Ardemax
11-10-2011, 08:04 PM
Thanks guys!

+rep if I haven't given it already...

Also, would maths, science, english and r.s be sound choices for a level?

Recursion
12-10-2011, 09:05 AM
Thanks guys!

+rep if I haven't given it already...

Also, would maths, science, english and r.s be sound choices for a level?

Very good choices, but be prepared to drop one of them when you move up to A2, a lot of people find 4 after the first year is too much work. I took English (FUUUUUUU PRIDE AND PREJUDICE), Geography and R.S (Well, Theology, which consisted of Ethics and New Testament) and I enjoyed it. Got me into Uni.

Showder
12-10-2011, 12:28 PM
For people who have half-a country and a half- a country blood , YES. A major YES.
Ever since I was 4, I was forced to learn Mandarin since I was half, and boy did I suffer!
My main language is English so ;l
Schools , most language we all mostly have been chosen to learn by principals are French,German,Swedish,Chinese,Bahasa Indonesian. I think.

Ardemax
12-10-2011, 03:03 PM
For people who have half-a country and a half- a country blood , YES. A major YES.
Ever since I was 4, I was forced to learn Mandarin since I was half, and boy did I suffer!
My main language is English so ;l
Schools , most language we all mostly have been chosen to learn by principals are French,German,Swedish,Chinese,Bahasa Indonesian. I think.

If you're in the UK, I think Spanish and Italian comes before Chinese and Indonesian? :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!