PDA

View Full Version : SSD migration.. :(

MrCraig
05-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Hey,
Been trying to migrate my laptop over to an SSD for a while now, but nothing I try seems to work. Have tried HP recovery tool, but doesn't like it since the new drive is smaller than the old, and the windows image recovery tool comes up with a message "No disk that can be used for recovering the system disk can be found.."

Any other suggestions/comments on what I may be doing wrong? I've considered putting linux but i hate unity and it's semi lacking in features.

Old disk is OEM 250GB WD, new is OCZ vertex II 60GB. Laptop is hp pavillion dv6-2112sa.

Thanks for any help :)

Stephen!
05-10-2011, 07:22 PM
Put the Windows disc in and start installing it from scratch.

Jack!
05-10-2011, 07:28 PM
Hey,
Been trying to migrate my laptop over to an SSD for a while now, but nothing I try seems to work. Have tried HP recovery tool, but doesn't like it since the new drive is smaller than the old, and the windows image recovery tool comes up with a message "No disk that can be used for recovering the system disk can be found.."

Any other suggestions/comments on what I may be doing wrong? I've considered putting linux but i hate unity and it's semi lacking in features.

Old disk is OEM 250GB WD, new is OCZ vertex II 60GB. Laptop is hp pavillion dv6-2112sa.

Thanks for any help :)

Backup old data, installed windows.

Recursion
05-10-2011, 07:33 PM
So long as your data is less than 60GB you could also use CloneZilla.

MrCraig
05-10-2011, 07:43 PM
I don't have the windows disc.

So long as your data is less than 60GB you could also use CloneZilla.

Clonezilla only lets you copy if the target partition is greater than the source, so i dont think it would work in this scenario?

Thanks for advice anyways, +REP to both of you, if i can remember how to do it..

Stephen!
05-10-2011, 07:49 PM
It's not recommended to simply clone a HDD image to an SSD. Windows does all sorts of optimizations and changes to the allocation tables when it detects it's being installed on an SSD.

MrCraig
05-10-2011, 08:18 PM
It's not recommended to simply clone a HDD image to an SSD. Windows does all sorts of optimizations and changes to the allocation tables when it detects it's being installed on an SSD.

I found a few registry tweaks to enable ahci for trim support which most people have said caused them no problems, is there much else you know of?

And does anyone think clonezilla would work if i shrunk the C partition size to <60GB?

Jack!
05-10-2011, 08:51 PM
I found a few registry tweaks to enable ahci for trim support which most people have said caused them no problems, is there much else you know of?

And does anyone think clonezilla would work if i shrunk the C partition size to <60GB?

Still, Its best to let windows automatically sort itself out, can you not backup your data and fresh install?

Clonezilla should work, just make sure the partition size you want to move is smaller then its destination drive.

Recursion
05-10-2011, 09:58 PM
Agreed on the fresh install.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!