PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry services

Slowpoke
10-10-2011, 03:01 PM
Have they been down all day for anyone else? :(

photography
10-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Pretty sure most networks are upgrading to BIS 4.1 today or soon,

Have a look at Crackberry chances are somebody as posted something about it there

Stephen
10-10-2011, 03:13 PM
think i saw alan sugar tweet saying it was down or retweeted someone saying it was down

-Amyy
10-10-2011, 03:49 PM
Yeah mines been off all day :( Crrryyyyyyyyyyyyy!

xxMATTGxx
10-10-2011, 03:57 PM
UK server failure sends BlackBerry devices offline in Europe, the Middle East and Africa

If there's one thing RIM doesn't need right now, it's another BlackBerry outage. Well, are you sitting down? RIM UK is currently investigating issues affecting "some users in EMEA" -- that's Europe, Middle East and Africa, for the acronym-disinclined. The company has turned to Twitter to acknowledge the outage, with T-Mobile UK and Vodafone Egypt chiming in as well (and pointing fingers at RIM, as expected). The Telegraph reports that the "glitch" hit around 11AM this morning local time, and is affecting email and instant messaging services, along with web browsing, leaving users unable to use their BlackBerrys for anything but making phone calls and sending texts. BlackBerry outages appear to be a rather frequent occurrence for RIM, typically hitting during peak usage times -- like, for example, 11AM on a Monday. So are you currently without service? Jump past the break to chime in with a comment.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/10/uk-data-server-failure-sends-blackberry-devices-offline-in-europ/

So yep, you aren't the only one! :P

Luke
10-10-2011, 04:55 PM
Epic Win. Shut a lot of people up saying blackberries are better..

lawrawrrr
10-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Is it just BBM or the whole internet thingy? Cos my internets not working. But it always cuts out.... *curious gaze whilst stroking beard*

Slowpoke
10-10-2011, 04:59 PM

To be honest, I really couldn't care if the precious iPhone is better. I chose to buy a BlackBerry and I am happy with my choice. I don't want or like iPhones and I don't need a million and one Apple loons telling me I've made the wrong decision, cheers

Rozi
10-10-2011, 04:59 PM
apparently it's internet too laura

Recursion
10-10-2011, 05:04 PM
BlackBerry internet access is tunnelled through BlackBerry's services, so yes, your entire data service will be down.

Slowpoke
10-10-2011, 05:13 PM
BlackBerry internet access is tunnelled through BlackBerry's services, so yes, your entire data service will be down.

My apps are down but my browser works so I'm guessing that's done by my network provider

Special
10-10-2011, 05:19 PM
i'm just starting to get other people bbm status' & they're only now and again at that

Slowpoke
10-10-2011, 05:24 PM
Good to hear buddy! My messages are still not sending, nor am I receiving any. However, I am seeing status updates on BBM so I guess they have begun to fix the issue

Brockam
10-10-2011, 05:24 PM
Twitter is the only thing currently working for me. :(

Special
10-10-2011, 05:25 PM
only took them 8 hour lol

Slowpoke
10-10-2011, 05:25 PM
At least they're getting somewhere now :D

Brockam
10-10-2011, 05:28 PM
At least they're getting somewhere now :D

True - I thought it was only my BlackBerry while I was at College today so I was getting really pissed off. I don't really mind now that I realise alot of people are experiencing this problem.

Slowpoke
10-10-2011, 05:30 PM
Everyone at college today was moaning about it! :D

-9000 posts-

Brockam
10-10-2011, 05:33 PM
Everyone at college today was moaning about it! :D

-9000 posts-

Nobody really understood what was happening at ours!

Sharon
10-10-2011, 06:02 PM
AH I THOUGHT I WAS GOING MAD OR WOULD HAVE TO RAGE AT VIRGIN

explains everything woooo

Shockwave.2CC
10-10-2011, 07:01 PM
Some of my friends on facebook have said that their bbm's are not working

Judas
10-10-2011, 07:04 PM
They need to hurry up, haven't tweeted all day this is tragic :'(

If you find competition in what model of phone you own then you need a slap

Luke
10-10-2011, 09:26 PM
To be honest, I really couldn't care if the precious iPhone is better. I chose to buy a BlackBerry and I am happy with my choice. I don't want or like iPhones and I don't need a million and one Apple loons telling me I've made the wrong decision, cheers

I didn't mention anything about the iPhone.. :S Just people round here think they're "god's gift" 'cause they own a blackberry, when in reality.. they're utter ****e. This isn't the first time RIMs servers have been down, and it won't be the last.

Brockam
11-10-2011, 06:58 AM
The BlackBerry server is now back up and functioning again - you might experience some slow speeds though.

Recursion
11-10-2011, 07:11 AM
I didn't mention anything about the iPhone.. :S Just people round here think they're "god's gift" 'cause they own a blackberry, when in reality.. they're utter ****e. This isn't the first time RIMs servers have been down, and it won't be the last.

*Waits for iCloud to go down*

AgnesIO
11-10-2011, 07:26 AM

But you did.

Only kidding,personally I hate the phones but this sort of thing could happen with iPhones too, and eventually android if they start a service like this..

Oleh
11-10-2011, 02:35 PM

Nice of you to state the obvious, captain.

They're down again. Bad times for RIM.

Luke
11-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Nice of you to state the obvious, captain.

They're down again. Bad times for RIM.

Oh I do try ;)

Casio
11-10-2011, 07:28 PM
RIM have literally put me off BB's now, I had the Bold 9870 yesterday, now I own a HTC.

Oleh
11-10-2011, 11:38 PM
RIM have literally put me off BB's now, I had the Bold 9870 yesterday, now I own a HTC.

They put you off their phone due to unforeseeable server downtime? How come you're still here, after the downtime we had? (assuming that's the reason you vacated their phones services)

GoldenMerc
12-10-2011, 12:21 AM
Wonder how long it'l be down for this time

iBlueBox
12-10-2011, 06:25 AM
I don't see the appeal to Black Berrys :S

The bulky, plastic, little keys are hard to type.

Everyone always complains how terrible they are, once they buy one.

AgnesIO
12-10-2011, 07:45 AM

BUT THEY HAZ BBM

Slowpoke
12-10-2011, 08:05 AM

I love my Bold!

Casio
12-10-2011, 08:54 AM
They put you off their phone due to unforeseeable server downtime? How come you're still here, after the downtime we had? (assuming that's the reason you vacated their phones services)

This is very true, but that was only part the reason I vacated, (I didn't make it clear in my OP), was the fact of the limited capabilities of a BlackBerry

Brockam
12-10-2011, 09:10 AM
Even though RIM are having problems, I still love my BlackBerry.

Slowpoke
12-10-2011, 09:55 AM
Not been annoyed about it but starting to piss me off now, 3 days?!

AgnesIO
12-10-2011, 10:30 AM
Not been annoyed about it but starting to piss me off now, 3 days?!

You seem to have the problem many other users are having.

Texting.

Swearwolf
12-10-2011, 11:01 AM
what did the first blackberry say to the second blackberry? nothing

Slowpoke
12-10-2011, 12:04 PM
You seem to have the problem many other users are having.

Texting.

What do you mean? :S

samsaBEAR
12-10-2011, 12:19 PM
If you own a Blackberry and honestly believe it to be either a) the height of technological advancement because of BBM, or b) the best phone on the market then you're probably an idiot

Slowpoke
12-10-2011, 12:23 PM
If you own a Blackberry and honestly believe it to be either a) the height of technological advancement because of BBM, or b) the best phone on the market then you're probably an idiot

Why are you trying to bait people into an argument? No-one in here has said either of those things

-Sweex
12-10-2011, 02:52 PM
RIM is in trouble anyway - there losing half a million subscribers in the US alone each month so by next year there entire base could be gone. Oh and they have been having a series of profit warnings after that failed investmen on that 'Play' thing (cant remember the name).

AgnesIO
12-10-2011, 03:23 PM
Interesting how this has been in perfect timing for the release of iMessage.

iBlueBox
12-10-2011, 03:51 PM
Interesting how this has been in perfect timing for the release of iMessage.

I think for iMessage to catch on all iOS devices, They really need to have a 3G iPod Touch so that they're able to do more when your not on wi-fi.

AgnesIO
12-10-2011, 04:16 PM
I think for iMessage to catch on all iOS devices, They really need to have a 3G iPod Touch so that they're able to do more when your not on wi-fi.

Tat would be the most stupid business move ever made by a company.

Casio
12-10-2011, 07:46 PM
3G iPod Touch = iPhone

Sharon
12-10-2011, 08:00 PM
i think people need a reality check getting so worked up about phones. someone in here has said that they had a blackberry and have just switched to a htc? where's the rule saying that 0 down time is allowed? we're all still human, no robots yet.

to the people who come in here to go on and on about how apple or andriod are better than RIM i think you should move now. if that's your opinion fine post an i love apple thread. if i want a blackberry i'll have one and it's not your place to question me on why i have one. i don't even use bbm - infact i have about 8 people. as much as i'd love an iphone i'm not made of unlimited money to run out and buy an iphone. i like my phone, i like the horrible small keys and i like that it's a big piece of junk kk bye now ): ): ): )':

HotelUser
13-10-2011, 01:25 AM
Hold on. The route internet access through their own infrastructure and that's down? So their proprietary service goes down and you can't even get internet access on your so called smartphone?

Dear god. And I thought I had enough reasons not to like this company. Why do they have a setup where non corporate users have their data routed with BIS? That is the stupidest thing I've heard all day :P

xxMATTGxx
13-10-2011, 05:55 AM
Hold on. The route internet access through their own infrastructure and that's down? So their proprietary service goes down and you can't even get internet access on your so called smartphone?

Dear god. And I thought I had enough reasons not to like this company. Why do they have a setup where non corporate users have their data routed with BIS? That is the stupidest thing I've heard all day :P

I do believe they do this because they can keep it all secure. Don't question me on that though but their handsets are pretty secure because of what they do with their servers and that's why they had problems in certain countries because they wouldn't let them get access.

Anyway, don't hate the company. It's Canadian and it would hurt your economy! ;)

But I believe their back up solution was also caused by some sort of failure and hence why its been down longer than expected. But hey ho, all companies have some sort of downtime. Look at PSN, people still use that.

Delimed
13-10-2011, 07:10 AM
Sick of broadcasts now bbm is working again ''Bbm will shut down for you if you don't bc this message'

Oleh
13-10-2011, 09:45 AM

I've had internet access on my phone all week. Don't know where you got this.

HotelUser
13-10-2011, 11:18 AM
I've had internet access on my phone all week. Don't know where you got this.

There are many regions of the world whom lost all BIM services including but not limited to plain old internet access:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/12/rim-recovers-blackberry-services-coming-back-online/

Oleh
13-10-2011, 11:34 AM
There are many regions of the world whom lost all BIM services including but not limited to plain old internet access:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/12/rim-recovers-blackberry-services-coming-back-online/

I'm gonna go ahead and take a guess that those networks affected don't provide internet access for their customers and they outsource to RIM.

In other news:

http://i.imgur.com/indii.png

HotelUser
13-10-2011, 11:39 AM
I'm gonna go ahead and take a guess that those networks affected don't provide internet access for their customers and they outsource to RIM.

I'm not sure who actually has possession of them other than for some reason RIM routes internet through their BIS service and for a lot of people around the world they couldn't even use their web browser. This probably makes sense for corporate users, but to have plain old internet routed as such but consumers? God knows what RIM was thinking.

Edit: I just saw this on Engadget: "RIM founder apologizes for BlackBerry outage: "We've let many of you down" (video)" http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/13/rim-founder-apologizes-for-blackberry-outage-weve-let-many-of/

Slowpoke
13-10-2011, 12:35 PM

In other news:

http://i.imgur.com/indii.png

That's from yesterday?

Recursion
13-10-2011, 01:02 PM
I'm not sure who actually has possession of them other than for some reason RIM routes internet through their BIS service and for a lot of people around the world they couldn't even use their web browser. This probably makes sense for corporate users, but to have plain old internet routed as such but consumers? God knows what RIM was thinking.

Edit: I just saw this on Engadget: "RIM founder apologizes for BlackBerry outage: "We've let many of you down" (video)" http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/13/rim-founder-apologizes-for-blackberry-outage-weve-let-many-of/

"God knows what RIM was thinking", sorry but what? Their Blackberry phones are, and always have been, marketed to corporate customers. They're not going to differentiate between corporate customers and consumers who decide to buy a business orientated phone on their network. Fair play to them, keeps things secure and once in a while something goes wrong, it can happen to anyone at anytime.

Oleh
13-10-2011, 04:22 PM
That's from yesterday?
Dunno, just found it funny being it says "impacting users on almost every planet"

HotelUser
13-10-2011, 05:08 PM
It's fine for corporate use but exactly as I said in my above posts it's stupid to do to consumers.
"God knows what RIM was thinking", sorry but what? Their Blackberry phones are, and always have been, marketed to corporate customers. They're not going to differentiate between corporate customers and consumers who decide to buy a business orientated phone on their network. Fair play to them, keeps things secure and once in a while something goes wrong, it can happen to anyone at anytime.

Stephen!
13-10-2011, 05:24 PM
Respect to RIM for the video.

Recursion
13-10-2011, 08:11 PM
It's fine for corporate use but exactly as I said in my above posts it's stupid to do to consumers.

The phone is for Business people, it's the consumer's fault for buying a business phone.

AgnesIO
13-10-2011, 08:15 PM
The phone is for Business people, it's the consumer's fault for buying a business phone.

It would be foolish to think Blackberry are not trying to get as many teenagers as they can nowadays.. BBM is not really a business thing..

HotelUser
13-10-2011, 08:15 PM
It would be foolish to think Blackberry are not trying to get as many teenagers as they can nowadays.. BBM is not really a business thing..

BBM is not a reason you should buy a blackberry.

http://kik.com

Brockam
13-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Respect to RIM for the video.

Agreed. :D

AgnesIO
13-10-2011, 08:37 PM

I am perfectly aware of kik, and am also perfectly aware it SHOULDN'T be a reason to buy a Blackberry.

But shall we take a quick step in to reality? Millions of people have brought Blackberrys for BBM, with the vast majority of my friends having the crap phones.

Slowpoke
17-10-2011, 09:01 AM
Apparently I'll be getting $100 worth of premium apps as compensation, happy days :)

Metric1
17-10-2011, 10:34 AM

brutal app, this was popular for like a week, it got overloaded and crashed.. people never went back.

Anyway, I had a midterm that day.. no phone meant lots of study time - couldn't have happened on a better day!

Casio
17-10-2011, 03:17 PM
(http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/17/rim-offers-free-apps-to-make-up-for-that-whole-blackberry-outage/)
[/URL][URL="http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/17/rim-offers-free-apps-to-make-up-for-that-whole-blackberry-outage/"]RIM co-CEO Mike Lazaridis has already (http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/17/rim-offers-free-apps-to-make-up-for-that-whole-blackberry-outage/)apologized (http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/13/rim-founder-apologizes-for-blackberry-outage-weve-let-many-of/) for last week's widespread BlackBerry outage (http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/12/blackberry-outage-spreads-to-canada-continues-in-europe-middle/), but apparently, that wasn't enough. Today, the manufacturer announced that it's offering customers a full slate of "premium apps" for free, in the hopes of earning back some of the goodwill it lost following that mysterious blackout. In a statement, the company said the gesture is "an expression of appreciation" for the patience that many BlackBerry users demonstrated during the incident, with Lazaridis adding that his company remains "committed to providing the high standard of reliability" that consumers have come to expect. For now, the company's offering a total of 12 apps (collectively valued at around $100), including SIMS 3, iSpeech Translator Pro and Shazam Encore among others, though more will be added at a later date. The offer kicks off on Wednesday and will last for a month, so head past the break to see which goodies are up for grabs.

Show full PR text

(http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/17/rim-offers-free-apps-to-make-up-for-that-whole-blackberry-outage/)

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/17/rim-offers-free-apps-to-make-up-for-that-whole-blackberry-outage/

GoldenMerc
17-10-2011, 03:20 PM
That's pretty good to be fair.

GommeInc
17-10-2011, 03:22 PM
Possibly the only phone company to offer such substantial compensation when the fault is entirely with the phone company and not the end-user. Good on them :) But I can't help but think the damage is done, and the whole franchise is dying anyway.

HotelUser
18-10-2011, 02:08 AM
brutal app, this was popular for like a week, it got overloaded and crashed.. people never went back.

Anyway, I had a midterm that day.. no phone meant lots of study time - couldn't have happened on a better day!

KiK has millions of dollars. They have a lot of users. So does PingChat, WhatsApp, Kakao, LiveProfile and TextPlus. BBM is old old news I'm afraid.

Metric1
18-10-2011, 02:33 AM
KiK has millions of dollars. They have a lot of users. So does PingChat, WhatsApp, Kakao, LiveProfile and TextPlus. BBM is old old news I'm afraid.

LIVEPROFILE LOL I forgot about that.. my phone doesn't support such apps anymore!

HotelUser
18-10-2011, 03:39 AM
A shame I suppose although there's more than enough alternatives, now we have iMessenger too. Decisions, decisions

Rozi
18-10-2011, 07:45 AM
I don't understand why people think imessenger is going to be the finite end of blackberrys

blackberrys cost about 15 quid a month for a free phone and adequate contract
iphones are vastly vastly more expensive and unobtainable for a large number of people

Slowpoke
18-10-2011, 02:15 PM
No idea what apps I should get :D

AgnesIO
18-10-2011, 02:37 PM
I don't understand why people think imessenger is going to be the finite end of blackberrys

blackberrys cost about 15 quid a month for a free phone and adequate contract
iphones are vastly vastly more expensive and unobtainable for a large number of people

The difference is iMessage is available on iPod Touch and iPad.

That is why I believe it will be successful - due to the iPod Touch users.

xxMATTGxx
18-10-2011, 03:53 PM
The difference is iMessage is available on iPod Touch and iPad.

That is why I believe it will be successful - due to the iPod Touch users.

May be successful for the people who own Apple devices but it wouldn't kill Blackberry off fully. I've been able to do BBM and iMessage by just using Kik on my WP7 device and the bonus of that is: It's cross-platform compatibility.

AgnesIO
18-10-2011, 04:08 PM
May be successful for the people who own Apple devices but it wouldn't kill Blackberry off fully. I've been able to do BBM and iMessage by just using Kik on my WP7 device and the bonus of that is: It's cross-platform compatibility.

The problem for KiK is the lack of backing by one of the big four.

For example, I don't think any of my friends have a clue what it is - and that is where the problem lies.

xxMATTGxx
18-10-2011, 04:10 PM

For example, I don't think any of my friends have a clue what it is - and that is where the problem lies.

Well you should start advertising then! So you are saying each platform should come out with it's own Device to Device chat like Apple have done and BlackBerry have had for ages. I only ever use it to contact people who live outside the United Kingdom and anything else I shall use text, twitter or facebook.

AgnesIO
18-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Well you should start advertising then! So you are saying each platform should come out with it's own Device to Device chat like Apple have done and BlackBerry have had for ages. I only ever use it to contact people who live outside the United Kingdom and anything else I shall use text, twitter or facebook.

Of course I am not saying each platform should, I am saying that is what happens.

I personally don't see why people suddenly had something against 'texting' - especially when most people have near enough unlimited texts anyway :S BBM is a joke. iMessage will be a joke.

Just text :(

HotelUser
18-10-2011, 08:39 PM

It's useful for international messaging since my phone company charges an extra $30 a month for international texting (and even then you only get X amount to send and receive a month, and the other person needs international texting too).

I used to use it to communicate with someone in Europe to avoid expensive phone bills for texting - the one of us who discovered it just told the other person about it and to get it. You're right that it's rare you can walk upto someone in a class and say, "What's your KiK name?" but it is good if you plan on using it just to keep in touch with a select group of people.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!