PDA

View Full Version : It's official: Microsoft closes Skype deal

xxMATTGxx
14-10-2011, 07:26 AM
Most of us should be aware that Microsoft wanted to buy Skype and so on but it takes some time and you need agreement from a number of things such as the EU and all that crap. Well anyway, today it's official and they now close the Skype deal.

http://mattgarner.net/upload/images/1318616966.png

http://mattgarner.net/upload/images/1318615944.png

Well, it's official. The Microsoft-Skype deal has officially closed as it was approved by the board of directors of both companies, as well as the FTC.

Earlier this year, Microsoft announced it had offered $8.5 Billion for the Internet communications company, the biggest acquisition Microsoft has ever made. In a press release today, Microsoft confirmed what we already knew was inevitable, the deal has completed.

According to the release;

Microsoft and Skype will remain focused on their shared goal of connecting all people across all devices and accelerating both companies’ efforts to transform real-time communications for consumers and enterprise customers.

Source: http://www.neowin.net/news/its-official-microsoft-closes-skype-deal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ByWVVovdDg

http://blogs.skype.com/en/final%20infographic%20image.jpg

Congrats to Microsoft and Skype for now making it official and closing the deal.

Suspective
14-10-2011, 08:09 AM
Hopefully it'll make Skype a bit better. But I'm sure it will be very bias towards Microsoft platforms now.

xxMATTGxx
14-10-2011, 08:14 AM
Hopefully it'll make Skype a bit better. But I'm sure it will be very bias towards Microsoft platforms now.

Skype will still be cross-platform. So Mac and other mobile devices that isn't owned by Microsoft will still have Skype app support.

Recursion
14-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Good news IMO, hopefully we'll see a more stable client out soon for our... longer chats ;)

Don't see why it should be. MS Office for Mac is better than Office for Windows in many respects.

N!ck
14-10-2011, 01:31 PM
Don't see why it should be. MS Office for Mac is better than Office for Windows in many respects.

I haven't used it recently, but Office: Mac 2008 was horrific???

Recursion
14-10-2011, 02:02 PM
I haven't used it recently, but Office: Mac 2008 was horrific???

2011 is a huge step up.

Lamz
14-10-2011, 02:35 PM
reckon they will add skype on the 360? it'd be quite good if they did

xxMATTGxx
14-10-2011, 02:59 PM
reckon they will add skype on the 360? it'd be quite good if they did

They could do to be honest. I remember reading this article back in August which questioned/hinted about it: http://www.winrumors.com/skype-for-xbox-360-coming-soon/

Recursion
14-10-2011, 03:04 PM
Off topic but the Xbox is looking more and more like a media based console by the day, moreso than the PS3 (even without Bluray)... would be nice if they bought out a digital TV addon for the 360 like Sony did that would integrate nicely with Kinect etc.

Lamz
14-10-2011, 03:27 PM
They could do to be honest. I remember reading this article back in August which questioned/hinted about it: http://www.winrumors.com/skype-for-xbox-360-coming-soon/

nice, if they do - do it... it'd be really handy

beth
14-10-2011, 04:07 PM
Good news IMO, hopefully we'll see a more stable client out soon for our... longer chats ;)

THE LONG CHATS BROKE MY SKYPE. but good news, hopefully skype will continue to get better + better.

HotelUser
14-10-2011, 11:19 PM
I'd like to see them combine the MSN and Skype protocols, and maybe an improved Hotmail interface, with IMAP support.

xxMATTGxx
15-10-2011, 05:55 AM
I'd like to see them combine the MSN and Skype protocols, and maybe an improved Hotmail interface, with IMAP support.

This thread isn't about Hotmail... but ok sure.

Brockam
15-10-2011, 08:43 AM
Glad this has happened, hopefully an application for BlackBerry might be underway? :D

Recursion
15-10-2011, 10:08 AM
Glad this has happened, hopefully an application for BlackBerry might be underway? :D

You'll be lucky

HotelUser
15-10-2011, 01:04 PM
This thread isn't about Hotmail... but ok sure.

Well, if you don't know what hotmail is here's an info link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotmail

It's a Microsoft service ;)

xxMATTGxx
15-10-2011, 01:05 PM
Well, if you don't know what hotmail is here's an info link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotmail

It's a Microsoft service ;)

Yes but Skype is nothing to do with hotmail. Asking for better IMAP support is nothing to do with Microsoft owning Skype, the Skype division isn't going to bring that to Hotmail. Why? It's a totally different department.

HotelUser
15-10-2011, 01:14 PM
Yes but Skype is nothing to do with hotmail. Asking for better IMAP support is nothing to do with Microsoft owning Skype, the Skype division isn't going to bring that to Hotmail. Why? It's a totally different department.

It's already integrated. When you login to Hotmail presently it logs you into web messenger, there's a web messenger tab, you can add/remove and otherwise manage MSN contacts from the hotmail interface and so on. You can also manage your "Live Profile" (which I don't think anyone ever does but it's there nontheless!) What I was saying was it would be nice to see Microsoft actually merge Skype and MSN together, then also improve Hotmail to be-- well, as good as GMail is or Yahoo Mail. They could then integrate chat features and Hotmail features.

xxMATTGxx
15-10-2011, 01:16 PM
It's already integrated. When you login to Hotmail presently it logs you into web messenger, there's a web messenger tab, you can add/remove and otherwise manage MSN contacts from the hotmail interface and so on. You can also manage your "Live Profile" (which I don't think anyone ever does but it's there nontheless!) What I was saying was it would be nice to see Microsoft actually merge Skype and MSN together, then also improve Hotmail to be-- well, as good as GMail is or Yahoo Mail. They could then integrate chat features and Hotmail features.

Putting Skype onto other Microsoft services/products such as Xbox, Windows Live and so on is to do with skype. Improving it's features with IMAP is not and that is down to the Hotmail team. That is why I am saying. But such features for hotmaill would be ideal either way but they wouldn't come because of skype now :P

Recursion
15-10-2011, 01:17 PM
IMO they should drop WLM/MSN Messenger and dump everyone on Skype's chat system, it's far far better.

HotelUser
15-10-2011, 01:24 PM
Putting Skype onto other Microsoft services/products such as Xbox, Windows Live and so on is to do with skype. Improving it's features with IMAP is not and that is down to the Hotmail team. That is why I am saying. But such features for hotmaill would be ideal either way but they wouldn't come because of skype now :P

I just said it like I did because in terms of functionality GMail or Yahoo IM and Email setup is a lot more robust than the current Hotmail/WLM setup in my opinion, so I'd like to see Microsoft mimic those setups of sorts.

Lost_Addict
15-10-2011, 01:38 PM
Off topic but the Xbox is looking more and more like a media based console by the day, moreso than the PS3 (even without Bluray)... would be nice if they bought out a digital TV addon for the 360 like Sony did that would integrate nicely with Kinect etc.

http://www.oxm.co.uk/34532/xbox-live-gets-bbc-channel-4-channel-5-content/

xxMATTGxx
15-10-2011, 01:39 PM
IMO they should drop WLM/MSN Messenger and dump everyone on Skype's chat system, it's far far better.

Only if they changed the Skype application and added some of the features of WLM. It would also be nice if you could do video call with more than one person without having to pay but hey ho.

Recursion
15-10-2011, 05:44 PM
http://www.oxm.co.uk/34532/xbox-live-gets-bbc-channel-4-channel-5-content/

I meant a USB digital receiver, there's more channels than the standard 5 that I watch! :P

GommeInc
15-10-2011, 10:25 PM
Isn't Skype the main competitor to Windows Live? It's an interesting inquisition, personally I'm not sure what this will entail as Skype has always been a pretty decent service for me. If anything it's Microsoft products which need improving, not the other way around :P

xxMATTGxx
15-10-2011, 10:32 PM
Isn't Skype the main competitor to Windows Live? It's an interesting inquisition, personally I'm not sure what this will entail as Skype has always been a pretty decent service for me. If anything it's Microsoft products which need improving, not the other way around :P

Well Microsoft now own it and no one else can buy it. It's a great product, good brand name and Microsoft can now integrate it with a number of different services which would then improve Microsoft's products. Don't forget this would also increases Microsoft IM monopoly surely, Windows Live Messenger + Skype = a big number.

GommeInc
15-10-2011, 11:08 PM
Hmm, hard to say what will change. I presume Skype will be the adult version of video chatting, like business conferences or meetings. Windows Live has slowly been in decline over the past few years, so any improvements will only be to the service rather than the reputation :P The only competition to Microsoft now is Yahoo! Messenger and, possibly, Facebook chat assuming Fb Chat cannot be accessed through WLM/Skype.

xxMATTGxx
15-10-2011, 11:15 PM
Hmm, hard to say what will change. I presume Skype will be the adult version of video chatting, like business conferences or meetings. Windows Live has slowly been in decline over the past few years, so any improvements will only be to the service rather than the reputation :P The only competition to Microsoft now is Yahoo! Messenger and, possibly, Facebook chat assuming Fb Chat cannot be accessed through WLM/Skype.

There's a facebook thing on Windows Live Messenger but I'm not sure if it lets you do the chat. But in terms of Skype and facebook, you can instant message, import newsfeed, comment and like all within the Skype application according to their website.

Well Skype can be used by anyone, you can either be a free user or a paid user and I believe there is a bunch of paid users also. It can be used for businesses I suppose but a lot of people use it for non-business purposes too. It can only get better with the integration Microsoft will do in the future. They did ask on their facebook the following:

Friday Question: Now that the Skype deal is closed, what Microsoft products would you like to see integrated with Skype?

Edit: Just thought of something where you mentioned about business conferences or meetings. Microsoft have a product called Lync and on their website it says:

delivers complete presence, instant messaging, conferencing and enterprise voice capabilities through a single, easy-to-use interface that is consistent across PC, browser, and mobile device. Administrators benefit from a single, consistent management infrastructure, new capabilities to increase availability, and interoperability with existing systems.

So if they now have Skype and they can now use some of Skype magic, they come make that service a lot better for its customers? I'm not sure how Lync fully works, how good it is and so on as I'm not the sort of user who would use it but there's a bonus for them as well I suppose.

I also remember seeing this image:

http://www.networkworld.com/Micronet%20images/MS-Skype-integration-plans.png

GommeInc
15-10-2011, 11:42 PM
Hmm, seems interesting what they propose. Especially if the rumours and suggestions of Xbox users and Skype do come into fruition. Hopefully they do not alter Skype too much, one of the benefits of the service was its simplicity which WLM has never been good at, even when it was MSN. It's always hard to talk about an acquisition when the buying company offers a product in the same industry, it would be easier for them to drop a name and adopt a single aim strategy, but the Skype name is too important and popular, as is the Windows Live name.

HotelUser
16-10-2011, 12:15 AM
Something else important Microsoft really should do is create a push messaging service for Windows Phone. It would be ideal if they just designed push messaging integrated into Windows Phone which danced with both Skype and MSN, but I think I'll have to dare to dream here.

peteyt
16-10-2011, 12:22 AM

WLM usage has declined and while this probably won't happen, Microsoft would maybe benefit from taking WLM and Skype and merging them into one product - It would then be a lot easier to use - It annoys me if I've got Skype running and WLM for different users. Pulling them together into one application would make life easier.

xxMATTGxx
16-10-2011, 05:10 AM
Something else important Microsoft really should do is create a push messaging service for Windows Phone. It would be ideal if they just designed push messaging integrated into Windows Phone which danced with both Skype and MSN, but I think I'll have to dare to dream here.

Microsoft do like to do tight integrating with Windows Phone and two examples of that is facebook and twitter which is built into the people hub and messaging hub. Not sure if they will do that with Skype in the future, I do expect an application before anything before the year is out though. Then maybe in a future update to the OS they could integreate it further?

WLM usage has declined and while this probably won't happen, Microsoft would maybe benefit from taking WLM and Skype and merging them into one product - It would then be a lot easier to use - It annoys me if I've got Skype running and WLM for different users. Pulling them together into one application would make life easier.

I can't find stats but usage may of declined by ourselves on the forum but Windows Live is near enough a worldwide service and millions of people have used Windows Live Messenger. I do wonder how many people still use it and I;m sure it's still a decent amount.

peteyt
16-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Microsoft do like to do tight integrating with Windows Phone and two examples of that is facebook and twitter which is built into the people hub and messaging hub. Not sure if they will do that with Skype in the future, I do expect an application before anything before the year is out though. Then maybe in a future update to the OS they could integreate it further?

I can't find stats but usage may of declined by ourselves on the forum but Windows Live is near enough a worldwide service and millions of people have used Windows Live Messenger. I do wonder how many people still use it and I;m sure it's still a decent amount.

I think though if they combined MSN with Skype and somehow made it one system - not too sure how it would work, but if they could allow the users on msn to keep their contact list, email address etc then they'd have all the users on skype and all the users on msn together.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!