PDA

View Full Version : +rep Urgent help with Hard Drive

Cool--
14-10-2011, 09:53 PM
Hey,

The hard drive motor on my Windows 7 Packard Bell laptop has broke and I need it urgently for uni. The hard drive is a WD Scorpio Blue 320gb, I liked it so I'm just gonna get the same one (unless anyone wants to recommend me one).

I've never installed a new hard drive before & my laptop didn't come with any start up discs, when I install my new hard will it just run me through the default laptop auto setup again?

Thank you +rep

:))

xxMATTGxx
14-10-2011, 10:04 PM
When you buy a new hard drive, it will be blank and no data or operating system will be on the drive itself. Therefore when you put it into your laptop it would load no operating system because there isn't one on there.

I don't believe it will automatically put it back onto the new drive, if it doe then that's news to me but whatever.

Really you need to get yourself a disc with the Windows operating system on so you are able to reinstall it onto the new drive. Is your laptop under warranty by any chance?

Cool--
14-10-2011, 10:30 PM
Matt,

Thanks for the fast, helpful reply- unfortunately my laptop isn't under warranty.

If I get a Windows 7 disc & install, is that all that needs to be done?

Thanks again

xxMATTGxx
14-10-2011, 10:35 PM
Matt,

Thanks for the fast, helpful reply- unfortunately my laptop isn't under warranty.

If I get a Windows 7 disc & install, is that all that needs to be done?

Thanks again

Is this going to be a legit disc? Well any of the data that was on the drive won't be on there so you will need to install any of the software you wish to you and you may have to install drivers for certain things but they should be available to download on Packard Bell's site.

Cool--
14-10-2011, 10:41 PM
Not sure if I should answer that on here, but I'm low on cash and need it quick!

Thanks for your help

+rep

Recursion
14-10-2011, 11:00 PM
The drive will be completely blank, with no data. You'll need a Windows 7 DVD (available from an official MS link in a thread somewhere a couple of days ago in this forum) and the key from the bottom of your laptop, which keeps it legitimate. You'll then need to go to your laptop manufacturer's website and download any drivers Windows has missed.

Rebuilding Windows isn't exactly fun, so have fun basically. LOL

xxMATTGxx
14-10-2011, 11:05 PM
The link that Tom is talking about is" http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msvista/pub/X15-65732/X15-65732.iso
Sent from my 7 Mozart using Board Express

Cool--
14-10-2011, 11:56 PM
Thanks, eurgh, I'm really not looking forward to this lol.

How big is the ISO? Can I use on my USB?

Chippiewill
15-10-2011, 12:05 AM
To install from USB http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd535816.aspx

Cool--
15-10-2011, 12:09 AM
Thanks,

Bad news, I take it the Windows 7 key is on the "Microsoft proof of license" sticker? Mine has freaking faded, unless it's the 8 digit code on the right? I take it no :(

Cool--
15-10-2011, 01:17 AM
Right, USB all set up and ready to go, will pop into town to get hard drive in the morning, if it comes to it and I can't get my code I'll just buy from http://www.software4students.co.uk/

<3

Cool--
15-10-2011, 07:44 PM
I am on my lovely laptop...

I <3 you all

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!