PDA

View Full Version : How do you purchase your music (CD's/Vinyl's/Digitally)?

peteyt
17-10-2011, 11:02 PM
While it does seem rare today, I always buy CD's and prefer it to buying digital copies. I just like the fact I have something physical to hold, something that's real verses simply a file on a computer. You also get the artwork, booklets, and sometimes CD cases made of special material (A few Sigur Ros albums come to mind). I do rip all my CD's to my PC so I can listen to them from here, as I rarely use a CD Player except if I'm having maybe a party of something.

I know that more people buy digitally today instead of physical, but I'm just curious of what the percentage actually is.

Thanks
Peter

Thread moved by Infectious (Forum Super Moderator): From "Technology Discussion", as I feel it is better suited here!

Mathew
17-10-2011, 11:17 PM
I don't really listen to music but on the off chance I wanted an album, I'd probably order the CD. That said, I got an iPad in August so iTunes will probably be getting some usage sooner or later. :P

Funny that vinyls should be an option. My Gran was clearing out her attic the other week and came across stacks of vinyl records. I asked her to keep them safe because let's be honest.. it's pretty much the icon for "music" in general and it really does symbolise the history of the music industry.

Lamz
18-10-2011, 12:30 AM
If there is an album i want to buy, then HMV... CD :P

Icemaniceice
18-10-2011, 12:50 AM
I don't usually buy any CDs, usually I listen to CDs on Rhapsody, with a $10 a month subscription.

Eric
18-10-2011, 03:01 AM
I used to buy CDs. But now im downloading it digitally. i don't wanna keep so many CDs in my room as i have no place to keep it

xxMATTGxx
18-10-2011, 06:19 AM
No longer buy CDs but I get them on the odd occasion but they are normally a gift more than anything. If I want to buy a song then I will usually open up iTunes and buy it from the store.

orientalframe?
18-10-2011, 06:39 AM
I don't normally listen to music, but on an occasion I would download it digitally rather than getting the CD, unless I get a CD as a gift :P

Chris
18-10-2011, 05:14 PM
Always digitally. I haven't bought a cd for years, except as a gift. :P

Plebings
18-10-2011, 05:27 PM
used to be tonnes of CDs, actually buy vinyl now, not that it's that often, but when I can!!

ColyTom
18-10-2011, 10:30 PM
I normally get CDs, otherwise I would get download, especially if there is a deal on. CDs are so cheap on amazon though!

Judas
18-10-2011, 10:43 PM
When I buy albums I always get a CD... I can't understand owning an album but not holding it, I just don't like it :razz: What if your computer died? You would lose them all :'( But singles, I always buy them from iTunes...

I have some albums on vinyl but they are all old ones that I've got from my parents really... The only new vinyls I have are two Little Boots singles lolz

Narnat,
18-10-2011, 11:41 PM
on the odd occasion I buy it from iTunes if I like one song from the Artists album, but I tend to buy CD's.

samsaBEAR
19-10-2011, 01:35 AM
Never buy CDs, they only see the light for the 2 seconds it takes to take it out of the case and into my PC to rip.I've recently started buying vinyl because if it's gonna just sit there and collect dust, I'd rather it look pretty doing so. I have about 30-40 vinyls (pieces of vinyl? I don't know the plural :D) now

GommeInc
19-10-2011, 12:17 PM
Both CDs and digitally, but I put digitally as I only ever download songs that I specifically want, while with a CD it's usually other songs being bundled in that I'm not too keen on.

Ekelektra
19-10-2011, 12:27 PM
I usually buy albums on CD and then import it onto the computer. If I know I'll only get one or two songs from an album I'll buy that song on iTunes. I think it's because I like having something to hold, not just a computer file. And I do listen to CDs on a CD player :)

:Gero
19-10-2011, 12:40 PM
Albums then rip to computer,

Though I do digital download quite a bit now. A lot of EPs get released early on Itunes and its an easy way to get songs from upcoming bands.

peteyt
19-10-2011, 02:52 PM
When I buy albums I always get a CD... I can't understand owning an album but not holding it, I just don't like it :razz: What if your computer died? You would lose them all :'( But singles, I always buy them from iTunes...

I have some albums on vinyl but they are all old ones that I've got from my parents really... The only new vinyls I have are two Little Boots singles lolz

Yeah exactly how I feel. I love technology but I feel at times the world is too reliant on some of it. All these digital stuff could eventually break and you'd loose all your stuff. I rip all my CD's to my computer yeah and back them up onto an external. Their actually in a box. but just knowing there there, there's something about it.

T@R
19-10-2011, 02:58 PM
whoever voted vinyl is lying
i'd say 90% of my music is purchased/illegally downloaded digitally
and then if i have like HMV vouchers or people are getting me gifts then it comes as a CD i guess
if there's an album from a band i love then i'd consider getting in on Vinyl, although the only artists i have bought vinyl for recently were the strokes and the arctic monkeys'new albums and i have digital copies of them too... the vinyl's are just for like personal collection (also i reckon they'll be worth a lot in the future so if anyone wants the strokes or the arctic monkeys' discographies on vinyl in 30 years look me up)

peteyt
19-10-2011, 03:36 PM
and then if i have like HMV vouchers or people are getting me gifts then it comes as a CD i guess
if there's an album from a band i love then i'd consider getting in on Vinyl, although the only artists i have bought vinyl for recently were the strokes and the arctic monkeys'new albums and i have digital copies of them too... the vinyl's are just for like personal collection (also i reckon they'll be worth a lot in the future so if anyone wants the strokes or the arctic monkeys' discographies on vinyl in 30 years look me up)

Eh so you have Vinyl's but the person who voted it is lying?

A lot of people do buy Vinyl's for the retro feel, or simply because they are a big fan of a band and will collect anything they release.

But forgetting all that, I know there are some actual DJ's and I mean DJ's who mix their own stuff with their own decks and so on and so they probably have a collection of vinyl's.

Plebings
19-10-2011, 05:48 PM
hiya, I did vote vinyl.

I will buy vinyl whenever it is available if I buy a physical copy (which I normally do)

I believe it's a good investment compared to CDs, yes, they may be worth a bit more in the future compared to CDs which you can usually find for like £2/3 on ebay or something.

I don't illegally download unless it is an artist that sells loads. I never download leaks as I think of it as a bit of a 'gift', you wouldn't open a christmas present early, etc.

Even if they don't have a download code, I can easily rip it from the vinyl.

SO YEAH. don't make presumptions pls.

garriet
19-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Well I don't often by CD's anymore only receive them as a gift, but if I wanted to buy a random song then I would most likely buy it off iTunes :P!

Dopiefreak
19-10-2011, 06:16 PM
Digitally, Spotify Premium subscription.

Would be lost without it! My music taste has really broadened because of it :)

AgnesIO
19-10-2011, 06:42 PM

You wouldn't they are stored on the cloud too - so if your PC dies you can just redownload on a different PC - which you couldn't do if you broke a CD.

hiya, I did vote vinyl.

I will buy vinyl whenever it is available if I buy a physical copy (which I normally do)

I believe it's a good investment compared to CDs, yes, they may be worth a bit more in the future compared to CDs which you can usually find for like £2/3 on ebay or something.

I don't illegally download unless it is an artist that sells loads. I never download leaks as I think of it as a bit of a 'gift', you wouldn't open a christmas present early, etc.

I love how people think it is somewhat more morally right to download artists CD's if they sell more than other artists..

Judas
19-10-2011, 06:53 PM

are they really? no..

You wouldn't they are stored on the cloud too - so if your PC dies you can just redownload on a different PC - which you couldn't do if you broke a CD.

Yeah but all sorts of things could go wrong, and I feel more in control of my albums if I have a physical copy, if I buy it digitally I don't really feel like I own it and if something got deleted or corrupted or whatever I would be more annoyed than if I would be if I was so ridiculously clumsy to break a CD, cos I could at least blame it on myself then haha. Plus if your computer broke or something you wouldn't have your music for a while and I'd be all :'(

T@R
19-10-2011, 07:56 PM
hiya, I did vote vinyl.

ok lmao so you think you own more vinyls than digital copies of songs?
forgive me for being sceptical but would you mind showing me this vast collection of yours?
i'm not saying people don't buy vinyl, i'm just saying the majority of people's music, even if they do buy vinyl, will be in digital format, or at most CDs...

Judas
19-10-2011, 08:02 PM
forgive me for being sceptical but would you mind showing me this vast collection of yours?
i'm not saying people don't buy vinyl, i'm just saying the majority of people's music, even if they do buy vinyl, will be in digital format, or at most CDs...

that doesn't mean everyone buys digital more than vinyl like you suggested though

T@R
19-10-2011, 08:05 PM
that doesn't mean everyone buys digital more than vinyl like you suggested though
yeah well i think it does though
i may be wrong but with it being so easy to get digital copies of songs/ albums at the click of a button, i really don't think anybody has more vinyl than they do digital songs, but i'm open to the idea of somebody proving me wrong (although a big collection of your dad's old records doesn't count or i'd win)

Plebings
19-10-2011, 08:09 PM

The question was how do you purchase music.
I answered it based on how I purchase music today, sure sometimes I buy CDs and sometimes I buy downloads, but at the moment the majority is vinyl.
Yes I do have more CDs than records, but I'm basing it on what I currently buy today

I love how people think it is somewhat more morally right to download artists CD's if they sell more than other artists..

I guess it's not, but on the record company's viewpoint, I'd rather put money towards smaller acts to show that their acts have people buying their products, I mean who's more likely to get signed for another record, Lady GaGa or [Random Band]

T@R
19-10-2011, 08:11 PM
The question was how do you purchase music.
I answered it based on how I purchase music today, sure sometimes I buy CDs and sometimes I buy downloads, but at the moment the majority is vinyl.
oh what do you mean by today?
i thought the question was just asking in general... if we're going to be that specific, the only music i've purchased in the past month is one vinyl record, so i guess i should join you on that vote!

Plebings
19-10-2011, 08:14 PM
oh what do you mean by today?
i thought the question was just asking in general... if we're going to be that specific, the only music i've purchased in the past month is one vinyl record, so i guess i should join you on that vote!

In the past year. Sure a year isn't THAT long, but it should be long enough to base the answer off of.

T@R
19-10-2011, 08:16 PM
In the past year. Sure a year isn't THAT long, but it should be long enough to base the answer off of.
ok well if you can honestly say you've purchased more vinyl than digital/ cds in the past year than i'm not gonna sit here and argue with you, i just still find that highly unlikely in today's economic climate, especially with the laziness with which our generation is known for

Elegance
19-10-2011, 08:40 PM
either itunes or cd's :)!

AgnesIO
19-10-2011, 08:42 PM
I still find the idea of someone buying the 'majority' of their music on vinyl laughable.

Chippiewill
19-10-2011, 08:49 PM
Technically I don't purchase, I spotify my songs instead.

Vinyl is dumb.
CD is expensive.
Digital is awesome, convenient, portable, cheap and popularised by Stevey with the Jobs.

Digital is the future.

Plebings
19-10-2011, 09:50 PM
I still find the idea of someone buying the 'majority' of their music on vinyl laughable.

ugh.
I voted based on what I've bought over the past year. It's not like I've bought 100 records :S

JoeyK.
19-10-2011, 10:02 PM
I don't buy cd's. I prefer to support artists by buying tickets to their shows - they make a lot more off of this than buying an album. The prices for CD's in general are insane now anyway - $20 for 45 minutes worth of music? :x

Plebings
19-10-2011, 10:08 PM
I don't buy cd's. I prefer to support artists by buying tickets to their shows - they make a lot more off of this than buying an album. The prices for CD's in general are insane now anyway - $20 for 45 minutes worth of music? :x

is it really $20? ouch. usually about £8-£10 in UK

JoeyK.
19-10-2011, 10:12 PM
For the more popular stuff, yeah. Of course, there's always 'bargain bin' music that either isn't selling well or is a few years old.

peteyt
19-10-2011, 10:57 PM
ok well if you can honestly say you've purchased more vinyl than digital/ cds in the past year than i'm not gonna sit here and argue with you, i just still find that highly unlikely in today's economic climate, especially with the laziness with which our generation is known for

Note the fact you said "whoever voted vinyl is lying"

As I said there are some real DJs on here. You made an assumption. The majority of people do buy either digital or CDs but there's always going to be some who purchase a load of vinyl's. However the way you worded your post states that if anyone did vote it they would be lying, which is simply an assumption.

I did this on our Facebook page which allowed people to tick multiple options and even add their own. A few added that they downloaded illegally, a few probably do that voted but didn't want to admit, but a few seem to purchase both CD's and Vinyl's.

It does show to me that while we live in a digital age, the information age, or whatever you want to call it, a lot prefer some older ways and for some things I can't blame them. I'm digital with games, use Steam 99 percent of the time except for PS3 games. I think Steam is amazing, often sells them cheap and so on, but I'm not really fused about games as I'll play a game usually once and that's all. When it comes to digital stuff, I like to have a physical copy, be it a DVD or a CD and I'll probably play it multiple times.

I also think Cloud Technology has a lot of work needed right now. Many sites this year, Sony being a key one, have been hacked, mainly by so called hacktivists and it really begs the question, is cloud computing that reliable? I've heard of Steam users getting hacked, and loosing their account and games and not being able to recover it. As I mentioned I usually play games once, although some I'll play for their online content, so It's not as big a deal. But music is my life, its why I run a radio station. If I lost all my music, and in the past it's partly happened, I'd not be happy.

Judas
19-10-2011, 11:02 PM
yeah well i think it does though
i may be wrong but with it being so easy to get digital copies of songs/ albums at the click of a button, i really don't think anybody has more vinyl than they do digital songs, but i'm open to the idea of somebody proving me wrong (although a big collection of your dad's old records doesn't count or i'd win)

Why are you getting argumentative about someone stating they buy more music on vinyl than they do digitally? Is it really offending you that much that you are demanding proof? Is it that important to you?

What the hell LOL Why?

Oleh
19-10-2011, 11:40 PM
Does paying £3 a month for a download service suffice? If not, I buy the odd single such as "Louder" and "Promises". Once I get a car, cd's may be more frequented by me, unless I get a hotshot radio with an iDevice connector.

peteyt
20-10-2011, 03:18 AM
Does paying £3 a month for a download service suffice? If not, I buy the odd single such as "Louder" and "Promises". Once I get a car, cd's may be more frequented by me, unless I get a hotshot radio with an iDevice connector.

Depends. A lot of download services, your actually only paying for the software. People don't actually realise LimeWire was actually legal in itself. They had the whole you agree not to use LimeWire against copyright stuff so that the users who did where the ones breaking the law. LimeWire never hosted the files it was all down to the user.

If some service is offering unlimited music, software film and TV downloads for a monthly figure then high chances are its a scam.

samsaBEAR
20-10-2011, 12:29 PM
T@R clearly listens to awful music that doesn't release on vinyl otherwise he'd know how awesome it is when you open up the package and smell the pretty vinyl and then listen to all the indents on a piece of plastic make crystal clear music

T@R
20-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Note the fact you said "whoever voted vinyl is lying"

As I said there are some real DJs on here. You made an assumption. The majority of people do buy either digital or CDs but there's always going to be some who purchase a load of vinyl's. However the way you worded your post states that if anyone did vote it they would be lying, which is simply an assumption.

I did this on our Facebook page which allowed people to tick multiple options and even add their own. A few added that they downloaded illegally, a few probably do that voted but didn't want to admit, but a few seem to purchase both CD's and Vinyl's.

It does show to me that while we live in a digital age, the information age, or whatever you want to call it, a lot prefer some older ways and for some things I can't blame them. I'm digital with games, use Steam 99 percent of the time except for PS3 games. I think Steam is amazing, often sells them cheap and so on, but I'm not really fused about games as I'll play a game usually once and that's all. When it comes to digital stuff, I like to have a physical copy, be it a DVD or a CD and I'll probably play it multiple times.

I also think Cloud Technology has a lot of work needed right now. Many sites this year, Sony being a key one, have been hacked, mainly by so called hacktivists and it really begs the question, is cloud computing that reliable? I've heard of Steam users getting hacked, and loosing their account and games and not being able to recover it. As I mentioned I usually play games once, although some I'll play for their online content, so It's not as big a deal. But music is my life, its why I run a radio station. If I lost all my music, and in the past it's partly happened, I'd not be happy.

can't really be bothered reading all that, you need to stop trying so hard on a forum lmao

Why are you getting argumentative about someone stating they buy more music on vinyl than they do digitally? Is it really offending you that much that you are demanding proof? Is it that important to you?

no i don't really care that's why i said 'i'm not gonna sit here and argue'
can you not read?

p.s i still vote digital!!@@~~

---------- Post added 20-10-2011 at 03:54 PM ----------

T@R clearly listens to awful music that doesn't release on vinyl otherwise he'd know how awesome it is when you open up the package and smell the pretty vinyl and then listen to all the indents on a piece of plastic make crystal clear music
oh god you shoulda quoted me so i coulda seen this!
and i do have music on vinyl you should read my posts...
what music is awful anyway i would love to know!

Judas
20-10-2011, 05:06 PM
can you not read?

Yes I did read that, but I also read your four posts earlier that contradict that statement sooo...

can't really be bothered reading all that, you need to stop trying so hard on a forum lmao

pathetic

Red
20-10-2011, 05:36 PM
I used to always buy cds and I would still rather have something physical than downloading. Any music I have downloaded in the past, I have end up losing because I didn't back it up. Although I don't buy as much anymore. I mainly just use spotify/youtube.

Fire-Fox
20-10-2011, 11:29 PM
Nothing but digital here.

-:Undertaker:-
20-10-2011, 11:48 PM
Youtube, if I buy a CD (maybe one a year if that) i'll go to HMV.

peteyt
21-10-2011, 12:12 AM

can you not read?

p.s i still vote digital!!@@~~

---------- Post added 20-10-2011 at 03:54 PM ----------

oh god you shoulda quoted me so i coulda seen this!
and i do have music on vinyl you should read my posts...
what music is awful anyway i would love to know!

Then why even bother wasting my time writing that? You clearly put the person was lying, as if no one in the world buys vinyl's today.

xdinosaurdaniel
21-10-2011, 01:04 AM
usually buy from itunes.

T@R
21-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Then why even bother wasting my time writing that? You clearly put the person was lying, as if no one in the world buys vinyl's today.
wait what are you incredibly blind?
i said that I buy vinyl from time to time
what i was saying is that it's hard to believe that someone predominantly buys vinyl
c'mon kid if you're gonna try so hard at least read up!!!
p.s this is the last comment i'll make on this thread cos it's actually quite an interesting question and i don't want to ruin the thread
if you crave my attention any more you can pm me or even write on my visitor wall thingy!!

Judas
22-10-2011, 01:08 PM
wait what are you incredibly blind?
i said that I buy vinyl from time to time
what i was saying is that it's hard to believe that someone predominantly buys vinyl
c'mon kid if you're gonna try so hard at least read up!!!
p.s this is the last comment i'll make on this thread cos it's actually quite an interesting question and i don't want to ruin the thread
if you crave my attention any more you can pm me or even write on my visitor wall thingy!!

i'm not gonna sit here and argue with you

hmmmmm

Edited by Infectious (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not make pointless posts!

T@R
22-10-2011, 01:10 PM
hmmmmm
aw that was cute you tried outsmarting me
but it was to different people...
good try though
i'll tell you what you can do
you can quote me saying i'm not going to post in this thread again
and then quote this
there ya go, i'm even helping you now!
better luck next time xxxxx

Edited by Infectious (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not post to cause arguments!

Judas
22-10-2011, 01:12 PM
aw that was cute you tried outsmarting me
but it was to different people...
good try though
i'll tell you what you can do
you can quote me saying i'm not going to post in this thread again
and then quote this
there ya go, i'm even helping you now!
better luck next time xxxxx

ooooh so you just aren't going to argue with the person that has a valid point! i see now

Edited by Infectious (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not post to cause arguments!

peteyt
22-10-2011, 01:26 PM
ha I'm not bothering to be involved with this petty argument any more. I simply created this thread to find out how people purchased their music. Don't know why it had to turn into some kind of debate on whether people are being honest or not.

Plebings
22-10-2011, 02:24 PM
let us lay this thread to rest.
it was a fun debate.

*viking funeral*

Edited by Infectious (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not make pointless posts!

Jordan
22-10-2011, 04:04 PM
I mainly buy them digitally but sometimes I do buy music CD's

beth
23-10-2011, 04:19 AM
the only music i buy is on vinyl. i download the rest. i love vinyl, and it depends on the type of music you listen to as to how often you will come into contact with vinyl, if you listen to pop, then i'm sure you would find the idea of buying vinyl bizarre because it's not around in that genre anymore. alex(plebings) and i have a very similar music taste and our favourite artists mainly release on vinyl or digital. sometimes there is no cd or digital version. i don't have a record player, but my i buy the records to support the bands i love. sam(samsabear) also listens to a genre of music that very heavily still use the vinyl medium to produce music, and even more so recently.
so yeah i BUY vinyl.

samsaBEAR
23-10-2011, 12:56 PM
the only music i buy is on vinyl. i download the rest. i love vinyl, and it depends on the type of music you listen to as to how often you will come into contact with vinyl, if you listen to pop, then i'm sure you would find the idea of buying vinyl bizarre because it's not around in that genre anymore. alex(plebings) and i have a very similar music taste and our favourite artists mainly release on vinyl or digital. sometimes there is no cd or digital version. i don't have a record player, but my i buy the records to support the bands i love. sam(samsabear) also listens to a genre of music that very heavily still use the vinyl medium to produce music, and even more so recently.
so yeah i BUY vinyl.
exactamundo, i bought a numbered copy of In The Belly Of The Shark the other night off ebay for £7.50, it's very pretty :D

AgnesIO
23-10-2011, 03:34 PM
so yeah i BUY vinyl.

Er why buy a vinyl record if you don't have something to play it on? :P Is that not somewhat pointless (you could support the band and actually get something usable after all..)

beth
23-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Er why buy a vinyl record if you don't have something to play it on? :P Is that not somewhat pointless (you could support the band and actually get something usable after all..)

i don't see it as pointless (and usually you get an mp3 download when you buy anyway) but they're usually very pretty and make fantastic wall features hahaha.

kasi
23-10-2011, 04:02 PM
cds, i love having the physical copy

ColyTom
23-10-2011, 04:20 PM

She said that sometimes there is no CD or download and she wanted to support them :) I think that is a legit reason.

Similarly, a purchased a System of a Down sealed boxset and have left it in the wrapper. I love the band so I am supporting them through having the boxset but I don't plan to listen to them.

Plebings
23-10-2011, 04:45 PM
I mean now there isn't that much difference in price between CDs and vinyl, an extra £5 or something, and the people who buy CDs are mostly to have a physical copy anyway. I don't know anyone that would pay £7/8 on iTunes for a digital copy when they could pay an extra £1/2 pound for a plastic box, a disc for your car, album notes, etc.

(bit of a heavy generalisation but..) pop music is a completely different world to most other genres anyway, it's all about the singles, if you are a huge fan of pop, then great! I completely see why you'd want to go for downloads, 79p for a great song is much better than paying £8 for 2/3 great songs and 10 tracks of filler. This doesn't go to all artists obv and it's all dependant on your taste, but there are artists who (for me) make very good albums, robyn, nicola roberts, gaga, kelis. I do have much more respect for artists that have a much higher success rate for each song they put out, which is why I'm in love with the album format, I'd rather listen to 13 very good songs than 3 excellent songs and 10 ok songs. (Please don't take this too seriously, only slightly related)

peteyt
24-10-2011, 03:16 AM

I partly agree and partly don't. I know a lot of people like to collect stuff. But it annoys me partly when people collect things they don't intend to use e.g. I'm a massive Doctor Who fan of both classic and new who and when it comes to SC-FI people love to spend a load of money on toys and other merchandise that just stays in its packets.

I collect to have them. I have a massive collection of original Doctor Who stories on VHS that I keep in a box, but they get watched quite a few times, some many many times. I just wouldn't waste my money if I wasn't going to actually watch them. Maybe it's just me, but I remember seeing a program with James May. He likes to collect toys, trains etc and play with them, and paid a lot of money to get something so it wouldn't just stay in a box or something by a collector, but instead would get used as it was originally meant for.

samsaBEAR
24-10-2011, 06:34 AM
for me, because everything is so digitalised, the idea of buying a cd is pointless because it just gets put straight onto my ipod after purchase, and that said i hate buying the download, but not actually get anything that i can hold, so vinyl feels that void pretty well, and like beth said, it usually comes with the download anyway so it's win win

Judas
25-10-2011, 01:34 AM
(bit of a heavy generalisation but..) pop music is a completely different world to most other genres anyway, it's all about the singles, if you are a huge fan of pop, then great! I completely see why you'd want to go for downloads, 79p for a great song is much better than paying £8 for 2/3 great songs and 10 tracks of filler. This doesn't go to all artists obv and it's all dependant on your taste, but there are artists who (for me) make very good albums, robyn, nicola roberts, gaga, kelis. I do have much more respect for artists that have a much higher success rate for each song they put out, which is why I'm in love with the album format, I'd rather listen to 13 very good songs than 3 excellent songs and 10 ok songs. (Please don't take this too seriously, only slightly related)

definitely agree

not here for the rihannas, katys and britneys of the world who have like 4 good singles then the rest of the album is filled with dog turd. i occasionally legally download singles but only if the rest of the album sucks, or if the album isn't out yet.

it's just that music is more of a business than an artistic thing for many artists who don't have much control of their career and don't really care about putting together a decent album, purely in it to make money.

that being said, i do quite enjoy ke$ha's album + ep, both of which i bought. i know she writes all of her songs and chooses what makes it onto the album, but i'm never that sure how much say she has in everything else like her direction etc. anyway i'm going rather off topic now bye

Plebings
25-10-2011, 02:56 PM
definitely agree

not here for the rihannas, katys and britneys of the world who have like 4 good singles then the rest of the album is filled with dog turd. i occasionally legally download singles but only if the rest of the album sucks, or if the album isn't out yet.

it's just that music is more of a business than an artistic thing for many artists who don't have much control of their career and don't really care about putting together a decent album, purely in it to make money.

that being said, i do quite enjoy ke$ha's album + ep, both of which i bought. i know she writes all of her songs and chooses what makes it onto the album, but i'm never that sure how much say she has in everything else like her direction etc. anyway i'm going rather off topic now bye

from what i've heard off ke$ha i actually quite like the album, backstabber is a tune!!

Vinnie:Safety
25-10-2011, 03:06 PM
Illegally.
Or stealing others iTunes purchases on the students macbooks and macs at school 8)

---------- Post added 25-10-2011 at 03:07 PM ----------

Nah I'm JK.
We all put our itunes music to the itunes library. Its like "tradition" like. So everyone shares songs, and we all have the same songs, Lol

Judas
25-10-2011, 03:29 PM
from what i've heard off ke$ha i actually quite like the album, backstabber is a tune!!

i actually really think she's great. in one way her music is actually incredibly generic and "safe", but in another sense she is so different to any of her contemporaries and has serious balls and a great sense of humour, and it all shows in her music.

cannibal is better than animal though

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!