PDA

View Full Version : Ed Miliband on energy prices

-:Undertaker:-
20-10-2011, 07:47 PM
http://www.neilmonnery.co.uk/2011/09/27/ed-miliband-talks-tough-energy-companies-position/

(http://www.neilmonnery.co.uk/2011/09/27/ed-miliband-talks-tough-energy-companies-position/)Ed Miliband talks tough on the energy companies – now he’s not in a position to do anything about them

http://i.thisislondon.co.uk/i/pix/2009/04/milliband-wind-415x275.jpg
Ed Miliband: all hot air

Today we heard Ed Miliband make a stand against energy companies for constantly putting prices up. ‘Prices go up but never come down’ exclaimed the leader of the Labour Party as he chose his fight. It is a great thing to speak on. Energy prices are going up at around five times the rate of inflation. I know that my heating bills will certainly go up this year and I don’t like it one jot. Those on a tighter budget will feel it worse. I can see what Ed Miliband is trying to say but I have one issue with this…

Ed Miliband was Secretary of State for the Department of Energy and Climate Change from October 3 through to the time of the last General Election. So he was actually in a position to take on the energy companies straight up. No rhetoric from opposition he was actually in a job where he directly oversaw energy companies and did he do anything about it then? Did he heck.

This is the type of thing that pisses me off about politicians and not just Ed Miliband. They talk the talk but when they are actually in a position to make changes you bottle it. My boy Nick Clegg is clearly someone who can be tarred with this brush as well so don’t think I’m just bashing Labour or Ed Miliband but when he was in charge of that department Ed Miliband wasn’t in coalition and had the brief to deal with the sector entirely how he saw fit.

He chose to do nothing of significance and even changed policy on coal powered stations following being accosted by actor Pete Postlethwaite OBE who said he’d give back his OBE if the proposed new Kingsnorth coal power station went ahead. That startled Eds Miliband into a change of tune and that worries me. He had no strength in his convictions and was willing to bend just because of one high -profile incident.

If Ed Miliband wanted to go after energy companies then he had his chance. Now he doesn’t have that chance he is talking tough and you know what folks that just doesn’t wash. That just reeks of someone jumping on a popular bandwagon knowing they can say whatever they like but don’t have to back it up with actions *looks at Nick Clegg*

Not good Ed. Not good…

Energy prices are a big issue, and a vote winner. And thats no doubt why this two faced hypocrite has brought this up. But why is he a two-faced hypocrite? well there's been research done that has concluded in various estimates that energy prices are one third higher than they should be because of our government (and the previous governments') energy policy in regards to global warming.

Who was the man who, as Climate Change and Energy Minister introduced the Climate Change Act which costs this country directly £18 billion a year with increasing energy costs to subsidise useless turbines which is the reason why our energy bills are skyrocketing?

Ed Miliband.

Thoughts?

Ardemax
20-10-2011, 08:49 PM
At least he is saying something...

I think it's a bit harsh to talk about why he didn't do anything whilst he was in government, because there wasn't a big fuss back then.

Nowadays energy prices are all over the media and it's up to the Tories to do something about it.

20-10-2011, 08:51 PM
At least he is saying something...

I think it's a bit harsh to talk about why he didn't do anything whilst he was in government, because there wasn't a big fuss back then.

Nowadays energy prices are all over the media and it's up to the Tories to do something about it.

He's saying something concerning something which he created in the first place.

Ardemax
20-10-2011, 08:52 PM
He's saying something concerning something which he created in the first place.

He created energy companies?

Good on him.

20-10-2011, 09:05 PM
He created energy companies?

Good on him.

Well actually his government helped support the energy monopoly we have, yes.

..along with introducing the legislation which has increased energy prices by one third.

Chippiewill
22-10-2011, 11:41 AM
‘Prices go up but never come down’

He clearly doesn't seem to understand inflation, why would they ever go down?

Slowpoke
22-10-2011, 02:14 PM
The person who isn't in power always speaks like this, until they're are in power. So painful

Chippiewill
22-10-2011, 03:13 PM
The person who isn't in power always speaks like this, until they're are in power. So painful
Applies pretty globally, Cameron, Miliband, Clegg, Farage etc.

Applies in business as well e.g. steve jobs wanting competition until he's on top.

Ajthedragon
22-10-2011, 07:34 PM
Frankly if Labour was still in power they would have taxed energy out of our eyeballs.

Maybe we just have to accept that this country relies on all this tax for our over-sized welfare state, and stop with all this tattle about how 'I would have done this', it's interesting he won't promise any of these proposals (and the one about university fee's) as manifesto pledges for 2015, even if it is a while away as yet.

22-10-2011, 11:14 PM
‘Prices go up but never come down’

He clearly doesn't seem to understand inflation, why would they ever go down?

Indeed, most of our financial problems go back to the Bank of England/Federal Reserve.

Applies pretty globally, Cameron, Miliband, Clegg, Farage etc.

Applies in business as well e.g. steve jobs wanting competition until he's on top.

Well actually, agree with him or disagree with him, it is unfair to group Farage with Cameron, Miliband and Clegg who have never had a real job apart from politics (its all they've ever known) which shows that at least Farage has principal as he quit his job (with good pay, good pay indeed) to go after what he believes in, like the late James Goldsmith.

If he were the same as the others once gaining office i'd be the first to tear him apart.

Chippiewill
23-10-2011, 12:03 AM
I was just hinting that we never really know their real agenda until they're in office, which actually seems upside down. Really there should be a process by which they're forced to follow through most of their proposals, especially major ones.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!