PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 720

scottish
21-10-2011, 09:31 AM
The long awaited next generation Xbox console will launch at E3 in 2013, according to new reports.

Develop claims to have been told by that multiple sources, from chip manufacturers to middleware firms, to expect the console to arrive at the gaming expo in June 2013.

The heavily-touted Xbox 720, or whatever Microsoft eventually likes to call it. has been the subject of much speculation in 2011.

Develop says that Microsoft is likely to focus on pushing the current model, Kinect and Windows Phone for the next two Christmasses before pushing the next console in 2013.

Fable Next to headline new line-up

The site also claims to have the scoop on one of the launch titles, with Lionhead Studios working on another addition to the Fable series, codenamed Fable Next.

Interestingly, one of the site's sources still asserts that EA has a prototype version of the new console for testing purposes. EA has previously rubbished the claim.

News that the new Microsoft console may not arrive until 2013 will be a huge boon for Nintendo, which will have at least a year to push the Wii U before the news Xbox arrives.

A number of Microsoft employees have announced that they are working on a next-gen Xbox, giving the game away on their LinkedIn pages.

According to WinRumors, which got its information from games blog Gematsu, three employees have announced they are working in the next-gen console department.

The first is someone who has been given the title Xbox Nex Gen Creative Director.

There's also another who has revealed he is "providing groundwork an [sic] integration for branding elements for next-gen Xbox on all forms of media. Ranging from print to UI across future releases of the Xbox platform."

Next gen

Finally, one employee has said he is working on "high speed data buses to prevent electromagnetic interference in next-gen devices."

Intriguing stuff, and all pointing to the fact that the Xbox 720 is being worked on right now.

Just last week there were leaks of the new Xbox 360 dashboard, which reveals an updated Metro design and a whole host of home entertainment goodies.

Given that all of the LinkedIn posts point to a next-gen console in the works, we are filing this rumour as Very Likely.

as i cant see it posted anywhere else :p

Andii
21-10-2011, 09:44 AM
ooo this should be interesting since they just finished recent updates with kinect bugs. . . . hmmm wonder how this will go in the gaming world :O

xxMATTGxx
21-10-2011, 10:15 AM
And how do we know it's going to be called "Xbox 720"? :P

Title of the thread should just be like "Next-Gen Xbox" or something, as the name for it hasn't even been confirmed by anyone.

Andii
21-10-2011, 10:22 AM
because it makes it sound cooler matt :) :) . . .plus i really wonder if people will actually buy it or how they can even think of improving the 360???? since they are adding loads of new features to the new dashboard which will come out on 25th november :)

scottish
21-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Coming up with another name would require imagination.

As it's Microsoft, 98% of it being called Xbox 720 :p

xxMATTGxx
21-10-2011, 10:27 AM
because it makes it sound cooler matt :) :) . . .plus i really wonder if people will actually buy it or how they can even think of improving the 360???? since they are adding loads of new features to the new dashboard which will come out on 25th november :)

Of course people will buy the next Xbox, people will buy the next PlayStation. It will probably have newer and better hardware, new design and god know what else Microsoft are thinking. Plus if the date is right, it would come out sometime in 2013.

Coming up with another name would require imagination.

As it's Microsoft, 98% of it being called Xbox 720 :p

Haha, they took a while to confirm the actual name of the next version of Windows. But that's another story!

Andii
21-10-2011, 10:30 AM
Of course people will buy the next Xbox, people will buy the next PlayStation. It will probably have newer and better hardware, new design and god know what else Microsoft are thinking.

Haha, they took a while to confirm the actual name of the next version of Windows. But that's another story!

lmao suppose :L :L . . but still im pure ragin i got that new xbox like last summer was 1 of 1st to get it in UK :( :( . . now i gotta save up again for this new one. . . hope its not a disappointment tho . . . i wonder if it will have built in kinect features :O :O that would be pretty cool but then it would be a brick since the kinect moves along with you up and down :O

xxMATTGxx
21-10-2011, 10:36 AM
lmao suppose :L :L . . but still im pure ragin i got that new xbox like last summer was 1 of 1st to get it in UK :( :( . . now i gotta save up again for this new one. . . hope its not a disappointment tho . . . i wonder if it will have built in kinect features :O :O that would be pretty cool but then it would be a brick since the kinect moves along with you up and down :O

Well look at it this way, it first came out back in 2005 and now we are in 2011. Regardless of the newer versions they came out which just makes the sales go up even more as that's what they do these days and release "refresh" models if you want to call them that.

So 2013-2015 is probably the right time for them to bring out the next-generation version of Xbox.

Lamz
21-10-2011, 10:41 AM
What will be diffrent from the "720" that isn't in the 360 :S

pointless console imo

Recursion
21-10-2011, 10:48 AM

pointless console imo

So it was pointless you upgrading from a Windows 95 computer to a new Windows 7 computer was it? Same scenario.

xxMATTGxx
21-10-2011, 10:49 AM

pointless console imo

So it was pointless to do the following then:

Xbox > Xbox 360

Sony PlayStation 1 > PlayStation 2 > PlayStation 3

Can't be bothered to list Nintendo's but do you see the point? These consoles get new versions every so often and I wouldn't call them pointless either.

Lamz
21-10-2011, 11:01 AM
So it was pointless you upgrading from a Windows 95 computer to a new Windows 7 computer was it? Same scenario.

that's 'cause software, hardware & technology completely changed... those update were NEEDED.

So it was pointless to do the following then:

Xbox > Xbox 360

Sony PlayStation 1 > PlayStation 2 > PlayStation 3

Can't be bothered to list Nintendo's but do you see the point? These consoles get new versions every so often and I wouldn't call them pointless either.

I went from ps1 > ps2 > 360

& that's because games had changed completely but with the 360 & 720... they're the same? :S unless they are completley going to change the was the disc is read... if they are still making updates on the 360 why do they NEED to make a new console... it's not NEEDED

xxMATTGxx
21-10-2011, 11:06 AM
that's 'cause software, hardware & technology completely changed... those update were NEEDED.

& that's because games had changed completely but with the 360 & 720... they're the same? :S unless they are completley going to change the was the disc is read... if they are still making updates on the 360 why do they NEED to make a new console... it's not NEEDED

Oh my god. Are you serious again? Technology changes all the time, the next Xbox and PlayStation will have BETTER AND IMPROVED HARDWARE. It will mean that games can be even more better than they are now... you can't just keep the Xbox 360 as it is now and leave it for the next XX amount of years without any updates to the hardware. Yes they are making changes to the software and the interface, to make it better.

Sony will make a PS4
Xbox will make a new Xbox
Nintendo have already announced about them working on their next console.

All three companies need to bring out new consoles.

Matthew
21-10-2011, 11:07 AM

pointless console imo

*face palm*

Interesting news, hopefully xbox 360 games will be playable on this! :P

---------- Post added 21-10-2011 at 12:07 PM ----------

pointless console imo

*face palm*

Grippz
21-10-2011, 11:14 AM

pointless console imo

Pointless?! How?! The Xbox 360 was out of date when it was released and now.. well the graphics are just not that good compared to PC's or other such devices. The update is LONG overdue. I was in a game store the other day and they had some aeroplane game running on it. The graphics looked awful comparing them to my pc. You could see the refresh rate on the screen and the plane looked cheap and tacky. If that was my PC I would have thrown it out of the window.

In short, the Xbox DOES need updating. It is out of date & it's long over due. I don't see graphics cards manufacturers releasing their 'next gen' cards 7 years after the original release? :')

Lamz
21-10-2011, 11:15 AM
Oh my god. Are you serious again? Technology changes all the time, the next Xbox and PlayStation will have BETTER AND IMPROVED HARDWARE. It will mean that games can be even more better than they are now... you can't just keep the Xbox 360 as it is now and leave it for the next XX amount of years without any updates to the hardware. Yes they are making changes to the software and the interface, to make it better.

Sony will make a PS4
Xbox will make a new Xbox
Nintendo have already announced about them working on their next console.

All three companies need to bring out new consoles.

ik this & i understand where you are coming from but i don't think it's necessary. The only platform i think needs and update for 2013 is nintendo 'cause the Wii is ****. & you have kinect & move which just killed the Wii anyways.

Yes there is going to be a PS4 & a "720" but i think they are going a bit too fast... 2013 is less than two years away... what will change in that time period? Apart from the digital switch-over. Will all tv's be 3D so they need to make 3D games? Will there consoles be like 100x's as fast? what!?

I don't see what will change... that's why I'm saying it's pointless

xxMATTGxx
21-10-2011, 11:18 AM
ik this & i understand where you are coming from but i don't think it's necessary. The only platform i think needs and update for 2013 is nintendo 'cause the Wii is ****. & you have kinect & move which just killed the Wii anyways.

Yes there is going to be a PS4 & a "720" but i think they are going a bit too fast... 2013 is less than two years away... what will change in that time period? Apart from the digital switch-over. Will all tv's be 3D so they need to make 3D games? Will there consoles be like 100x's as fast? what!?

The next Xbox is between 2013 and 2015 if we are going to off any of the articles that have been posted in the past. These consoles can't be upgraded easily like you can with a computer and therefore they play the catch up game, they need to be updated in terms of hardware to make gameplay look even more awesome and amazing. There is a limit on what you can produce for a game console for so long, it's time for such consoles to be updated.

I have no idea about 3D, I'm not a fan of it as it is but that's not what I'm saying here. Not all televisions will be 3D because it's not kicked off where we are all rushing out to replace our current TV's with 3D.

Matthew
21-10-2011, 11:19 AM

What will change is that people will be demanding better gaming experiences, and as said above, the graphics do need an update.

How can you think that updating consoles is pointless?! Things are constantly updating to IMPROVE them. The xbox 360 has now been out for years.. Strictly speaking it's about time a new one was brought out!

Andii
21-10-2011, 11:30 AM
*face palm*

---------- Post added 21-10-2011 at 12:07 PM ----------

*face palm*

agreed lmao. . . i say they will tbh since GEARS OF WAR 3 was and still is immence lolol. . . . and also im really starting to wonder what else can be added ??? lolol. . .really need something major different like graphics or something maybe even software than can put yourself into the game like face tracking and things

dbgtz
21-10-2011, 03:35 PM

What's the digital switch over got to do with anything console related? Lots can happen in 2 years and you have to remember they were probably in R&D since the last console launched. Some developers are calling for new consoles as the current consoles can't handle 1080p on a higher intensity game. So going to 1080p @60fps is one thing that people want, and textures being a higher resolution, polygons etc. If you were to play a game on a high end PC compared to a modern console, you would see a difference. That saying, a console will not ever be what a high end pc is at the time of release as it would be far too expensive, but they do get more powerful (generally) every generation.

Camy
21-10-2011, 03:57 PM

Wut?

The xbox is running on 2005 hardware, games developers are all saying they've squeezed as much as they can out of it, and other platforms are suffering because most games nowadays are developed for the 360 then ported.
How is, possibly 8 years after the 360s release, too soon? The digital switch over has nothing to do with games, and games are already being made in 3D, 3D is just an added extra for platforms like the xbox, ps3 and pc and won't be mandatory.

In the 6 years since the 360 came out so much has changed in hardware terms, so they have to update it to keep up. Since games like CoD are so popular running at 60 fps, there's a great demand for all games to run at that, or more, which won't be able to happen without this new console, they just don't have the resources atm.

And anyway, games will probably still be made for the 360 for people who don't want the new one, games were still being made for the ps2 years after the ps3s release.

Lamz
21-10-2011, 08:23 PM
the digital switch-over was just an example of something that is going to change by 2013... ok...

scottish
21-10-2011, 09:01 PM
Hardware changes all the time....... lol

dbgtz
21-10-2011, 10:24 PM
the digital switch-over was just an example of something that is going to change by 2013... ok...

Console generations generally last like 5 or 6 years (though this is seeming to increase as technology advances).

Chippiewill
21-10-2011, 11:25 PM
And how do we know it's going to be called "Xbox 720"? :P .

herp-derp, why would we call windows 8, "windows 8" before the release name is announced.

The update is required, the xbox needs blu-ray and other updated hardware or it'll lose ground as developers shift over towards the PS3 since the xbox is maxed out on capabilities.

We knew in 2007 that the xbox update was going to be between 2012 and 2014.

Oleh
24-10-2011, 02:20 PM
And how do we know it's going to be called "Xbox 720"? :P

Title of the thread should just be like "Next-Gen Xbox" or something, as the name for it hasn't even been confirmed by anyone.

http://i.imgur.com/V6F7J.png

Let's just hope the jump between consoles is huge and noticeable to the untrained eye.

Stephen!
24-10-2011, 02:22 PM
Even though that pic is from a science fiction film set in the future.

AgnesIO
24-10-2011, 02:43 PM

Built in cameras for Kinect wouldn't work, as people don't tend to have their consoles that visible - whereas kinect has to be to work.

Also; Summer 2010, Summer 2011, Summer 2012, Summer 2013

Three years of play time on your xBox before the new one is announced. The average PC now lasts between 2-4 years, so 3 years is a decent amount of time. That is 1095 days too, which means you will have paid around 19p per day for your xbox - good value imo.

pointless console imo

When you are educated in the matter, come back.

Look at the amount of graphics cards nVidia has released since 2005..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units (scroll down..)

3D blu-ray is a possibility. And if technology has changed consistently every single year for god knows how many years, what makes you think it won't change even more?

For example, Apple are currently having designers work on a concept 'iCar'

And yet again, you clearly have little understanding of technology.

Is it really too fast to wait eight years to release an entirely new console?

Lets make a list of a few things, and you tell me they haven't updated them in eight years..

Apple iPhone
Ford Mondeo
Samsung TV - LCD, LED, 3D LED etc..
nVidia Graphics card
Bionic arms/legs
Vacuum Cleaners
Fans
Cameras

Now you tell me which one of those (and thousands of other products) have not had a major update in the last eight years.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!